• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Newb from Canada (not an NSX owner yet)

Hey everyone, Im from Winnipeg Manitoba in Canada. I Recently just finished building a Subaru STI project. I have always been a fan of Honda/Acura's and the attention to detail many builders put into their cars, when it came time to sell my sti I immediately began searching for a new project. Due to our very long and cold winters in Canada I have decided to wait until May 2011 to fly south in hopes of purchasing a 1991 NSX. I have already began purchasing a few parts for an NSX build, I feel this website will be a great way to research throughout the winter and buy parts.

Welcome aboard, are you looking for a high mileage or salvage nsx to keep cost down or are you just looking for any 91 model?

Welcome aboard, are you looking for a high mileage or salvage nsx to keep cost down or are you just looking for any 91 model?

Thanks for the welcome, Id like to find a clean title car, mileage isn't to big of an issue as long as its in good shape. looking to spend around 25-35k for now, come spring I may be willing to spend more. I will take some photos of some of the parts I have waiting.

Here is a picture of my previous car
9728_156639556598_516261598_3203407.jpg

some of the new parts I have bought

Takata Harnesses with gel pads (waiting on another set in the mail)
DSC00702.jpg

Some OEM Honda pieces (still need to buy a Momo NSX-R Wheel)
DSC00704.jpg

ARC
DSC00706.jpg

Spoon Sports pieces (going to swap S2000 rear view mirror)
DSC00707.jpg

Mugen Bolts, Project Mu lugs. wont fit nsx, trading for Kics
DSC00708.jpg

J'SRACING Canards, unsure if they will fit NSX
DSC00709.jpg

Sorry if the photos need to be resized im new to uploads.

I believe (I will check RIV) but we can't import salvage titled cars into Canada. Checked, we can import salvage titled vehicles into Canada, as long as they are not flood salvage. Secondly, you will have to get a Body Integrity Inspection Certificate (BIIC) prior to getting your Certificate of Inspection (CoI)

For the price range you are looking at you should be able to get a higher milage, but well maintained 1991. Just remember to factor in 18% taxes getting it across the border. There will be 5% GST, 7% PST, and 6% import duty (because the car is built in Japan and not Canada/US/Mexico). And there will be the provincial inspection (CoI, $55), you won't need Federal inspection if the car is more than 15 years old, and you will have to get day time running lights installed, which cost me close to $300 at the local Acura dealer. But you can do the WarrenW method and it will be cheaper and look better.

So, if you look at a 30K car, set aside at least 6K for taxes and incidentals. Plus how ever much might be needed for deferred maintenance. Most people say 4-5K in the first year or so. I bought mine in May of 2010 (1991) and I haven't done any maintenance yet outside of 2 oil changes and a new set of tires. But next spring I will be doing the hose replacement. My timing belt/water pump were done in 2009 so I got lucky there.

Just read these boards and amass as much information as you can. Keep your eyes open on the for sale section of these boards and see what you can get for your money. It may happen quickly or it may take you a year to find the perfect car, but be patient. My suggestion would be to get the car with the most paperwork and maintenance done for the money. A higher milage car with full paperwork is most likely a safe bet. These are robust cars. I put close to 10k miles on my 1991 this year in less than 6 months. I drove it to Vegas and back, 4600 miles, and not one problem. I currently have 105,000 miles.

If you want to talk about the 1991s send me a PM. I can give you my phone number and you can swing by my place and see my NSX. I live in Winnipeg as well. The car is in storage now, but it is at my parents house in their garage so it is easily accessable.

Good luck on your search. I hope to see another NSX cruising the streets of Winnipeg next summer.

Dwayne

Last edited:
if your looking for a 91 there is one in montreal with 24,000 miles mint asking 35,000 if your interested i;m not quite sure how you find me on this board but i;ll look for your answer

Thanks for the welcome, Id like to find a clean title car, mileage isn't to big of an issue as long as its in good shape. looking to spend around 25-35k for now, come spring I may be willing to spend more. I will take some photos of some of the parts I have waiting.

I was going to ask if your $25-35k was in American dollars or Canadian, but it appears the exchange rate is almost even now 0.990501 USD, so that appears to be a moot point. I'm not sure what fees would be involved in exporting it into Canada or vise versa for that matter.

But $35k would purchase a very nice 91 from what I have seen. Heck that would be tempting to let mine go for that... but not that tempting, since I know what I have & if I were to try & replace the extras I currently have, I wouldn't be able to duplicate my car for that price I'm fairly sure.

You could go with a 95 NSX-T or possibly newer at the high end of your limit. Then again, you may want the coupe, which would pretty much limit you to 91 to 94. They do have coupes in the later years, but they are tough to locate.

Hang out on the site, search the forum and the Wiki and you can find loads of information. Plus you can always ask. Some may give you a little grief about learning to use the search option, but for the most part people on prime are very willing to help.

The NSX is a blast to drive. People are amazed when I tell them mine is a 91. Just about everybody who has seen it believes it is brand new. Most people don't know what they are since they aren't very common. At least not here in the midwest or I would suspect Canada. In the southern states they are more common I'm sure.

Welcome to prime and enjoy the process of the hunt. Parts can be pricey, but you can find some good deals hear from prime members under the Market. Which is also a good place to search for some of the nicer NSX's.

- Rod

Newb from Canada as well, actually same city as ya

I've been a long time lurker on the site and never posted or replied to anything until now. Just wanted to let everyone I just picked up a black 96 out of Salt lake city a few days ago and drove it back to Canada.....needs a little tlc, but a black beauty none the less.

I must say this forum is awesome!!!

I've learned so much info....did the stereo repair on the weekend for the crackling through the speakers ( it was almost deafening): contact cleaner, your my new friend, and Briank for showing pics on how its done.

Picked up some hub spacers; 15 and 25 for stock wheels.
Got a new Wings West side skirts
Eibach pro spings ordered
tires are next; thinking Azenis rt615

Just wanted to say Hi to all the members,

Hey guys I too am from winnipeg and I have two NSX's. I winter in phoenix as I run a driving range in the summer. Perhapsr we should get together for a cruise and then go to the pony or canadinns on some sunday! Oh yeah welcome and good luck in your search for an NSX. If you see one in phoenix you want someone to take a look at pm me. Brian

Thanks for all the positive replies! looks like a lot of "Brian's" own nsx's hopefully ill be the next one soon enough. I havent been looking to much at purchasing one lately, Im pretty set on waiting till april-june or possibly even later until the weather gets nice enough to drive/work on cars here in wpg and until then I will continue to purchase parts for an nsx build. I appreciate the offers to help me with locating one and I may be taking up your offers in the future.

I would love to get together with other NSX owners in Winnipeg. I pretty much daily drive mine in the summer. I try and hit the Pony Corral on Grant and The Tavern United on Regent every Sunday.

Id like to get together come summer time aswell as soon as I purchase the car. I just cross my fingers that the vehicle inspections wont be as bad as this previous summer, I was constantly harassed with my STI all summer long.

The great thing about the NSX is that the vehicle inspections guys have not seen very many so they dont know what they should or shouldnt have. I was out almost every sunday and never got stopped once. I was followed quite a bit though! Good luck and I hope you find just the car you want. Brian

YESSIR THAT WAS ME. I NEVER MADE A GOOD PASS AT GIMLI THE BEST I DID THERE WAS AN 11.2 AT 133MPH. I DIDNT KNOW BUT AT GIMLI THEY ONLY SPRAY TRACK ADHESIVE ON THE FIRST HALF OF THE TRACK (SPARSELY) SO I DEFINITELY HAD TRACTION PROBLEMS. FINALLY GOT A GOOD SET OF DRAG RADIALS AND BLEW MY CLUTCH. OH WELL BETTER LUCK NEXT YEAR. DEFINITELY LOOKING FORWARD TO THE UPCOMING SEASON..... :rolleyes:

Hey everyone,

My names Kurt and Im currently out East at school. (Im back for a couple weeks soon then May?)

Anyways, my father and I are in the process of actively searching/ talking with a few people in the US about purchasing a car. He hasn't had a true sports car for a while, just used mine .... I think he wants to get back in the game while he can still sit in one! (Dont tell him I said that....)

I was wondering if anyone in Winnipeg might be willing to allow us to come over and see their cars and get the down low on exactly what to look for. We're both pretty knowledgable about cars, but it always helps to talk to an owner and see first hand a few tricks to look at.

Much appreciated if anyone is able to help out! Im in town from the 20th Dec till the 7th Jan.

Thanks again!

PS: Im sure we've met some of you before at Pony ? Always love your cars!

I do all of my maintenance and repairs on the car (except for the tuning) mainly because I love to learn and this is a great car to learn about, I am also a licensed mechanic. I am back in march so we should try to set something up as soon as we all get our cars out for the summer.

Stryker63.
I have 1991 NSX that is in storage at my parents place. You are more than welcome to come over and take a look at it and we can discuss a few things to be on the look out when purchasing a car. I bought my car in the US last May, so I went through the entire import process if you need any tips on that.
Just send me a PM thru the boards and I will get you my address and phone number. I will turn the heater on in the garage so it will be a bit more comfortable to look at when its warm.
Dwayne

bringing back this thread to life, I just picked up some rims that im hoping to get on the nsx I plan on purchasing heres a pic, fitment may be a problem but im going to give it a shot. Merry Christmas guys!

Volk CE28 Honda Time Attack Edition 18x9.5 +34

63526_10150335858760261_589445260_16283261_5975525_n.jpg

162857_10150335857155261_589445260_16283233_7432092_n.jpg

Charter Champion
Feedback Score: 42 reviews, 100%

Wheel fitments for NSX
OK people, I hope these posts help since I see so many threads about the same "eternal" question, "what rims fit my car" or "will these fit" so here we go...

I am going to list what fits in the two most popular size combos:

- 17"/18"

- 18"/19"

... with a little deduction you will also be able to determine wether your 15/16, 16/17, 17/17, 18/18 combos will work too.

So here we go:

18"/19" -

Front wheels:

- 18X7.5, +45 (very inset) to +30 (very flush and depending on tire choice, possibly risky)

- 18X8, +48 (again very inset) to +33 (again very flush, use caution - and narow tire)

- 18X8.5, +48 (yes very inset but the rim is wider) to +42 ( it should be noted that the tire will be very, very stretched and this is not for everyone)

Rear wheels: *** It MUST be noted that the NSX suspension geometry is such that when lowering the car, the rear will pull the tire inwards significantly, allowing a lower offset - lower number means wheel sticks out more - thus your wheel that was "flush" at stock height will no longer be flush, keep this in mind and know that the lower offset REAR wheels listed here will only work with lowered cars*** - wheels marked (*) are for lowered cars -

- 19X9 (very narrow wheel but can work, not "optimal") +40 to +30*

- 19X9.5 +45 to +28*

- 19X10 +45 to +28*

- 19X10.5 +45 to +29* ( at the lower offsets your car will need to be quite low and use a stretched tire (265/30/19) to clear fenders)

- 19X11 +45 to +36*

17"/18"

Front wheels:

17X7 +40 to +30

17X7.5 +44 to +32

17X8 +48 to +33

17X8.5 +48 to +40

Rear wheels:

18X8.5 +40 to +30 (this width NOT recommended but will work)

18X9 +40 to +30 (minimum rec'd width)

18X9.5 +45 to +33

18X10 +45 to +30

18X10.5 +45 to +30

I am going to say that these are only my estimates for wheel fitment and they probably don't agree with what everyone else says but I have spent a long time fitting wheels to the NSX and these are MY findings.

USE CAUTION WHEN FITTING WHEELS/TIRES - AND COMMON SENSE

Check out my vendor page: http://nsxprime.com/wiki/Angus
Last edited by angus; 12-22-2010 at 04:20.

I think the info that Angus gives here will help you.

Back