• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No matter what else....will this keep you from owning the NSX?

26000 light years from the nearest black hole
I have not posted on this forum for a very long time. After Honda left its enthusiastic NSX followers dangling and washed its hands of the NSX, I like many others left and went on to other manufacturers who were more committed to their product and customers. At this time the CRZ is Honda's sole "sports car".

For a company that has continued to supply racing engines to the world and dominated F1 at one time, this has been shameful and that is putting it very mildly.

Now the new NSX is promised as a tempting sports car and from the information so far given, it might well be. But there is a serious question that Honda may not have considered and that many of the potential buyers of this car may not have given serious thought to either.

If the Ferrari 458 Italia or the Porsche GT3 were made in Ohio, how many would consider parting with their cash for these cars? Think about it, open the door or the hood and a little sign says, Ferrari 458 , Built 7/2014, Ohio, USA!! Porsche, GT3 , Kentucky or Alabama or Ft. Worth!

I have lusted over the gorgeous shape of the new NSX, the incredible interior and the amazing technology that seems to underpin what promises to be a very capable exotic fighter...... a legendary exotic from Japan, an icon from Honda, costing about as much as a GT3.....BUT.....built in OHIO?????

I think part of the romance of an exotic is exactly where it was born and that crossing of the Pacific or the Atlantic to come to these shores. That will be gone.

I do not think I will buy a Corvette Stingray or a Dodge Viper. I do not think I will buy an NSX built in Ohio.

What do you good people feel in this regard? Would you buy a Ferrari or a Porsche built in Alabama?

Sure they might lose a few buyers, but I don't think location would shut down the entire entity of the car.

I'd actually be more likely to buy it since it's made in Ohio, since that supposedly will help lower the price here in the States.
(Although I think it'll still be too expensive for me, regardless.)

For the most part, though, I don't recall much angst at all about it being built in Ohio instead of Japan.

Honda builds cars all over the world and ships them all over the world.

Honda USA has shipped Accords, with no issues, to Japan arguably one of the most demanding markets for quality.
I've read the engine is either coming from Japan or made in Anna OH and I'm sure other parts will be sourced globally with assembly in Ohio.

I'd like to think the hand picked employees in Ohio chosen for the NSX assembly line will be amongst the best anywhere.

Last edited:
blame it on the exchange rate
they put in charge an American to create the new nsx also, does it make less exotic and Japanese?

no, the location where it is being built is irrelevant in my opion. To me, I am not buying based-on the No Manual Trans option. :rolleyes:

Fair question but being made in Japan didn't help sales at all originally. Since it's a Honda a fair set will always be against it. Of course since America is/was it's biggest market why not?

no, the location where it is being built is irrelevant in my opion. To me, I am not buying based-on the No Manual Trans option. :rolleyes:

What....No Manual Trans option?
image.png

Seriously a proper manual is a required option for any sports car in IMO. Im sure those numbers will look great in R&T and turn fantastic times at the track. But if it isn't fun to drive it will never be for me. I prefer a car being produced in the US. That's a + for me. I prefer to buy american products when they make a superior product. Im not going to pay more for an inferior product to buy american. But Im willing to pay more for the same product produced in the US.

Last edited:
The manual is passe. Little by little, you are whistling in the wind trying to save manuals. All mfgs. are tossing them into the scrap heap. I like them too, but ...... It's over; just like the carburetor.

Really, you guys just need to stfu about manuals. If you really want to save them, buy the cars with manuals (and I don't mean buying used cars). Fact is, the BUYERS of the high-end sports cars have spoken, and they prefer autos/DCTs. If you want to change that, put your money where your mouth is.

This is from a manual transmission lover to dual clutch owner.....Try the DCT BMW or PDK from Porsche. 1st let them shift automatically full throttle - then do the same drill in manual mode at redline.

Believe me, it is just as engaging + quicker.

Most who pan the manumatics have never driven one.

This is from a manual transmission lover to dual clutch owner.....Try the DCT BMW or PDK from Porsche. 1st let them shift automatically full throttle - then do the same drill in manual mode at redline.

Believe me, it is just as engaging + quicker.

Most who pan the manumatics have never driven one.

I agree it is quicker technology is a marvelous thing, and driving a 600+whp most people will be quicker in a car that drives itself. But whats the enjoyment in that. As for the "money ware your mouth is" Im more then happy to do so. Thats why they make different cars.

I see some very good points made.
I think car enthusiasts would have an easier time accepting an NSX no matter where it was made BUT I do not think they would be enthusiastic about a Lamborghini or Ferrari or Porsche from anywhere but Italy and Germany.

Is that because deep down inside they do not feel that the NSX is a true exotic?
Or is it because they are just so glad and relieved to see the return of the icon that they are willing to forgive and ignore where it is put together?

I think it is a combination of both of these. What if Guadalajara, Mexico was the new home of the NSX? Would that be any less acceptable. I wonder.....

It is good to see so many old timers still present on this wonderful forum and I hope that in the next two years or so we will all have a real NSX to talk about and discuss and that this time Honda will not leave the party that they are once again throwing.

- - - Updated - - -

Honda builds cars all over the world and ships them all over the world.

Honda USA has shipped Accords, with no issues, to Japan arguably one of the most demanding markets for quality.
I've read the engine is either coming from Japan or made in Anna OH and I'm sure other parts will be sourced globally with assembly in Ohio.

I'd like to think the hand picked employees in Ohio chosen for the NSX assembly line will be amongst the best anywhere.

Your point has merit, however look at my point this way.
A Mercedes C class from Mexico or Brazil is acceptable but not a Mercedes S class or the SLS.
A Toyota Camry built in the US is acceptable but not the Lexus LFA.
A Honda Accord built in Ohio is acceptable but not the NSX.
Why should the NSX from Ohio be ok but not the LFA?
I think the NSX is more of an icon than the LFA no matter what the price difference.
I think the NSX deserves more respect than a Civic or an Accord.

Last edited:
I don't give a crap if the new NSX is built in Ohio, Japan, or Bulgaria. One of the best aspects of the NSX is that it did away with overly pretentious badge engineering of anal german and italian manufacturers.

If the new NSX performs as promised, that will be the most significant sales variable. If you're focused on build location, don't buy it.

I do not think I will buy an NSX built in Ohio.

What do you good people feel in this regard? Would you buy a Ferrari or a Porsche built in Alabama?

First off, I will not buy a Ferrari or Porsche unless I'm ready for the financial burdens.

Second, NSX buit in Ohio will not be inferior than the NSX built in Suzuka or Tochigi.

Therefore, your issue is not the car, but the lack of faith in the brand. When you lose that faith, by nature you'll move on and taste the honey from the other side.

When that happens, you lose your identity as a brand loyalist.

This car is not going to be built side by side with a civic, they're going to be built with same method they used on the original NSX in a dedicated plant with a specially trained group of workers; they may be not be Japanese hands that puts them together, but they will have the same quality, same warrantee, through the same workmanship.

I remember back in the days when I was a salesman at Circuit City (20 years ago), Asian people were shocked that most of the Japanese brands televisions, VCR, and Stereo were assembled in Mexico, Taiwan, Thailand, etc, and resisted the purchase hoping they will find these made in Japan by shopping around, but they came to the realization that they just aren't any. Took these consumers a long time to come to term with it.

Last edited:
its built on usa soil for many reasons,,they still will have the same employees building the car here as they would there,,it makes absolutly no diff where the plant is ,,it could be on pluto,and it will be the same car,,hey,no earthquakes and other crazy stuff in ohio,,plant is safe,,honda smart,,!!!!!!

As long as they aint swigging miller tall boys in the parking lot I'm ok with it.

Considering Italian made cars seem to have a habit of spontaneously catching on fire, I think I'd prefer the one made in Ohio :)

I don't know why some people think the US is bad at manufacturing... Sure, some of the cheaper brand vehicles are American, so they're going to have a lower quality, but that has nothing to do with out abilities at making a quality product, they're just a lower cost product with corner cutting. Look at Tesla... made in California and winning tons of awards for its quality and safety. Most of the advanced military and space vehicles of the world are made in the US by skilled laborers.

I've been working at a Honda dealership for the past 14 years. The whole saying that a J car is better has slowly faded away.
90% of Hondas haven't been coming from Japan for many years. We're in the past it was like 50 - 50.
If you go by percentage, I see the same amount of problems with J cars as built in USA. My 2 cents

American made cars do not have a world wide reputation for reliability and excellence anymore, the Germans and Japanese do. Even though the quality of American cars is vastly improved recently the Europeans will, at least initially, derate the new NSX because of it and likely it will hurt sales.

That said Acura built my 2007 TL in Ohio and its build quality and workmanship is top notch in every way. I expect the new NSX will built to an even higher standard but because "American made" isn't perceived by the rest of the world the way it once was a "Made in the USA" badge on then new NSX will be a minus to begin with outside the USA. But every challeng is an opportunity so it is also a chance for America to reestablish its excellence in manufacturing once again. And I'm confident it will.

Go Buckeyes! The eyes of the world are upon you.

American made cars do not have a world wide reputation for reliability and excellence anymore, the Germans and Japanese do. Even though the quality of American cars is vastly improved recently the Europeans will, at least initially, derate the new NSX because of it and likely it will hurt sales.

The perception of American built cars are they look good on the outside, they go fast in a straight line but the build quality and interior design is lacking. Unfortunately that is the worlds perception and its a big ask for one manufacturer with one model to change that perception.

Remember perception is reality.

Liftcontrol, I believe some of your anxiety can be relieved if you read one of the posts in the NSX (2nd gen discussion forum). One of the guys that posted actually had detailed inside information on the hiring of talent for the assembly of the NSX in Ohio. I, too, had some initial reservations about the country of origin of the new NSX; however, after reading that gentleman's post, it was clear that Honda had extremely stringent guidelines for the hiring of people to work on the NSX assembly line. It seems that the best-of-the-best are the only ones allowed to touch the NSX's. After reading those posts, I realized that the new NSX will likely be put together every bit as well as the original. Having two Acuras that are assembled in Japan (NSX & 2G RL) and having wrenched on both quite a bit, I can tell you that I am very particular about build quality and will be paying close attention to the fit & finish of the new NSX when it arrives.

Back