• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No more 280ps limit on cars in Japan

ak

Legendary Member
I just read on japanese news that they will officially take away the 280ps limit on cars manufactured by Japanese company in Japan in the near future. This should make the new cars coming out to be more interesting. I know that most of the high end Japanese sports cars produced more than 280ps, but still, this should make it easier for Japanese car manufacturer to compete with the never endiing HP wars by the European/American car companies.

If Honda was still considering the next gen NSX, they can openly discuss engines that would output ~400HP range now... Let us cross our fingers.

If this is true, it's the best news I have heard in a while. But again, how true is it? Can anyone else comment on this? Maybe someone from Japan.

Hhhmmm...Maybe that's a reason for the news that the HSC may not come about. Maybe Honda wants to stall a little bit more in hopes of getting some big HP numbers. Let's face it, I'm sure Honda would be pissed if they waited 13 years to redesign the car, and had to leave it slightly underpowered (in relation to competitors) only to find out 2 years later the HP ban is lifted.

Just a bit of food for thought

Well, it was obvious in Best Motoring FUGIFAST! that the japanese cars simply cannot keep up with the competition as soon as the road is straight.

The GT3 simply blew the NSX-R away. The 360 passed it like it was standing still!

I think this is great news!

I think honda should just go insane and make a 900HP NSX.. That would shut everyone on earth up! :)

NetViper said:
I think honda should just go insane and make a 900HP NSX.. That would shut everyone on earth up! :)

Including all the people that got killed while driving it. Something about 400 HP seems about right to me. It would still be drivable and able to keep up with just about anything in its class (I don't consider an Enzo or an F1 in its class).

red_MM_nsx said:
Including all the people that got killed while driving it.

Well, it would use the new AWD system from the RL to put all 900 ponies to the ground safely :)

Last edited:
NetViper said:
Well, it would use the new AWD system from the RL to put all 900 ponies to the ground safely :)

Seriously, 900 hp is way too much. I think something like 850 would be more reasonable:) Anything more than that would be tough to handle on the street.

As much as everyone likes to get upset at the possibility of big hp numbers... if the next NSX has over 550 hp(NA or Turbo), there will be a multi-year waiting list.

Not to mention, I will be one of those waiting my turn.

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Compact Convertible

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Compact Convertible

Although the standard SL is nearly perfect, AMG has a way of making any Mercedes feel that much better. Saddling up alongside the CL65 and S65 at the top of the Mercedes lineup, the SL65 will be one of the most powerful convertibles on the planet when it goes on sale this summer. Its horsepower and torque numbers will top the 600 mark thanks to a twin turbocharged 6.0-liter V12. Expect to see 0-to-60 figures in the low four-second range and an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph.

Engine: 6.5L displacement single overhead cam (SOHC) V12 cylinder twin turbo rated at 604 hp @ 5500 rpm / 738 ft-lbs. @ 3000 rpm

DriveTrain: 5-speed shiftable automatic transmission / rear wheel drive

Suspension: four-wheel independent suspension active suspension
self leveling suspension

Tires and Rims: 19 x 8.5 in. front rims (P255/35ZR19 front tires) / 19 x 9.5 in. rear rims (P285/30ZR19 rear tires)

Roof and Glass: power convertible roof / glass rear window

0-60: Under 4.0 seconds

Price Estimate: 175,000 U.S.

Availability: Summer / Limited production 500 unit per year

Honda better get their acts together if they want to succeed... if they are going to make another supercar with less than 400 HP... that's just sad...
:(

Attachments

• 029832-e.jpeg
    029832-e.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
2005 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 2dr Convertible

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 2dr Convertible / :eek: Guess Honda will never produce cars that will be as powerful as the Europeans...

HONDA'S SLOGAN - THE POWER OF DREAMS (My dream is more power!) And they are not living up to it... :(

Attachments

• 029841-e.jpeg
    029841-e.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 218
I just read about Toyota creating a new LS model with 600hp to compete with their European competition.

They are planning on doing a Hybrid so it will stay with their image as a green car company. I believe a Hybrid would work quite well in a luxury car like this as most would never see any type of track other than a drag strip.

BTW this was in June 2004 Automobile magazine if anyone wants to read the snipet.

Back