• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Noise in the rear when moving from standstill

Hi All,

I've only just picked up my NSX so am still getting use to the friction point.

When I sometimes take off from standstill, I get this noise from the engine bay in the rear? Only happens in first gear from standstill.

Doesn't happen all the time and I can guarantee it not happening if I don't press the accelerator much and catch the friction point when the clutch is lifted slightly. Put it this way (not that I do them), I won't be doing any burnouts without the noise. The clutch is not slipping when I test it, eg. 4th pushing from low speed.

I'm hoping it's just me riding the clutch a little whilst I'm getting use to it?

All fluid levels are ok.

Cheers.

Last edited:
We're gonna need more to go on. Please try to describe the noise: screech, grind, chirp, whistle, etc.

P.S. Congratulations on joining the ranks of NSX ownership. Welcome.

Last edited:
We're gonna need more to go on. Please try to describe the noise: screech, grind, chirp, whistle, etc.

P.S. Congratulations on joining the ranks of NSX ownership. Welcome.

thanks for the welcome!

Um, noise.......deep chirp? It's gone as soon as i let go of the clutch.

I find it happens if i over rev on take off and/or lift clutch pedal too high when pushing on the accelarator.

My other cars have a high clutch friction point where i need to lift the foot quite high whereas the nsx seems to be quite low and something i have to get use to.

How interesting -- I think I have this same noise. Deep chirp does indeed describe it. I am going to go for a ride with my master Acura tech friend (he's been around a long time and does all the NSX service at the local Acura dealer) and will let you know what he says about this. This is not an intermittent noise -- I can induce it at will. No issues with my clutch or anything else for that matter. On normal take-off from stoplight no noise but if I am in a real hurry and not off the clutch fast enough I get the noise you describe. My guess is that it is normal but I will report back. It may take me a week or two to catch up with my friend. Hope you are enjoying your car.

Best,
Jeff

I have the same noise under the same scenario you describe. My tech says it is the clutch, but like you, my clutch seems fine under every other test. I have 48K on my original clutch. I will be watching to see if there is another explanation.

thanks for the welcome!

Um, noise.......deep chirp? It's gone as soon as i let go of the clutch.

I find it happens if i over rev on take off and/or lift clutch pedal too high when pushing on the accelarator.

My other cars have a high clutch friction point where i need to lift the foot quite high whereas the nsx seems to be quite low and something i have to get use to.

Hmm, that has me stymied. Funny, most who first drive an NSX claim the clutch take up is too HIGH (my NSX included), compared to most cars, not too LOW.

I'm at a loss, sorry, I have nothing for you on this one. :confused:

Maybe others can chime in.

How interesting -- I think I have this same noise. Deep chirp does indeed describe it. I am going to go for a ride with my master Acura tech friend (he's been around a long time and does all the NSX service at the local Acura dealer) and will let you know what he says about this. This is not an intermittent noise -- I can induce it at will. No issues with my clutch or anything else for that matter. On normal take-off from stoplight no noise but if I am in a real hurry and not off the clutch fast enough I get the noise you describe. My guess is that it is normal but I will report back. It may take me a week or two to catch up with my friend. Hope you are enjoying your car.

Best,
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, looking forward to your update!

Time to check the front and rear engine mounts;).

HTH,
LarryB

Hi Larry, your suggestion is interesting. Can you elaborate why?

Larry, thanks so much for weighing in on this thread. I'll pass on your suggestion to Mike, my long-time tech.

Best,
Jeff

Hi Larry, your suggestion is interesting. Can you elaborate why?

The description of this sound is in coordination with "loading" the drivetrain. The drivetrain rocks back and forth front to back when engaging the clutch, and torque is applied to the front and rear motor mounts. Clunks and noises typically relate to the engine/drivetrain rotating too far on the front rear mounts;). Mounts could be loose, broken, hardware missing, etc.

Put on the emergency brake, and watch the engine as you engage/disengage the clutch. If it rocks all but very little, something in not firmly bolted up, or a mount may be broken.

HTH,
LarryB

The description of this sound is in coordination with "loading" the drivetrain. The drivetrain rocks back and forth front to back when engaging the clutch, and torque is applied to the front and rear motor mounts. Clunks and noises typically relate to the engine/drivetrain rotating too far on the front rear mounts;). Mounts could be loose, broken, hardware missing, etc.

Put on the emergency brake, and watch the engine as you engage/disengage the clutch. If it rocks all but very little, something in not firmly bolted up, or a mount may be broken.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks Larry, I'll check tonight. Just to confirm, the engine should not rock at all when clutch is engaged/disengaged?

If mount are broken, am I damaging anything by just driving?

I am experiencing the same sound..

HTH,
LarryB

Did the test, the engine when running doesn't move at all when I engage/disengage the clutch. clutch reservior fluid level is ok.

A couple of extra potential clues:

1) when the engine is off and I engage/disengage clutch, it makes a squeek noise.

2) the service report provided to me by the previous owner states Master Clutch Cylinder. I'm assuming the recommendation means replacement from leaking. I'm going to order the master and the slave.

Slightly worn pilot or throw out bearing?

I've heard them intermittent before they started getting real bad. But it was more of a lower pitch squeal for 1/2 to 1 second on initial engaging.

Can you record the audio?

I have heard this sound in many NSX's with everything from a brand new clutch to almost worn out - I think it has to do with the friction material used.

My car can do it if the clutch is let out just right (or wrong?)

Like a low type of squeal or groan or something.

Slightly worn pilot or throw out bearing?

I've heard them intermittent before they started getting real bad. But it was more of a lower pitch squeal for 1/2 to 1 second on initial engaging.

Can you record the audio?

I'll see if I can get a short video recorded this weekend.

I have heard this sound in many NSX's with everything from a brand new clutch to almost worn out - I think it has to do with the friction material used.

My car can do it if the clutch is let out just right (or wrong?)

Like a low type of squeal or groan or something.

So is this normal then? It sounds like a lot of people are experiencing the same. Or we are all in need of the same remedy. :)

mine also does the same. I've never had/heard this on any manual sportscars before. I'm specifically talking about the shake/noise when the clutch is released. I was hoping it would go away (cold morning?), was assuming it was normal, but I get reminded about it every stop sign/light. This cant be normal.

Not sure how else to describe it, the car shakes, makes noise...

Getting the feeling I'll become at least handy with tools in the upcoming months.

If anyone finds a write up on the how-to or good infos, let us know.

My NSX did this as well. I thought it sounded kinda like a bushing making a binding squeaking noise in the rear suspension, but it only ever happened with high engine load(1st gear from a dead stop), never over bumps or any other suspension movement, so I pretty much figured it was somewhere in the engine mounts, but never got a chance to figure it out. I have read that sometimes just loosening the front and back motor mounts a bit, starting the engine, blip the throttle a few times and tightening the mounts back up can solve some of these noises.

I heard this coming from my car when trying to hurry the clutch engagement with the engine around 2k-2.5k rpms. It sounded like tire chirping. Is it the clutch slipping? Anyone ever get a video or recording? I've only had my car for about 3 weeks. 1st gear is a little tricky, I'm still getting used to it. The other gears grab fine and predictably though.

noisuf, sincere apologies for not getting back to you on this as promised. It took a while before I got my car to the techs who do my work (and to be honest I had a senior moment and forgot I said I'd be back with the info).

Rob Magro (Canadian NSX guru in Ontario) had my car for a few weeks to change out coolant hoses after 21 years -- throw out bearing is his diagnosis. He said not to worry about it and it is something that can get handled when and if a clutch is needed. He said that the labor is just too much to justify going in there to lube it which would take care of the noise. My car does not do this often and I rarely engage in the stoplight grand prix. My takeoffs from a standing start are very gentle so I do not hear the noise. I can however induce it at will by making a fast start or a rushed 1-2 shift when I get back on the gas. My conclusion based on what Rob said and what I've read here -- not going to worry about this noise.

Best,
Jeff

Back