• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Note regarding sbcglobal.com e-mail addresses

sbcglobal.com appears to have technical problems. They do not accept e-mail from this server or e-mail sent from a gmail.com account. One of the reasons I use gmail for administration is to be able to contact people if for some reason their system doesn't accept mail from the nsxprime.com server. But if sbcglobal's servers aren't even accepting mail from google, something is seriously wrong.

Therefore I have added sbcglobal.com to the list of blocked e-mail addresses for new registrations. People have been registering, then e-mailing me saying they can't get the activation e-mails, and I can't even reply to them from my administrative gmail account.

Also, for anyone who is currently registered here with an sbcglobal.com address, be aware that it is not reliably going to receive e-mail or notifications sent through or from this site. Or, apparently, even from gmail.

Here is a typical failure message when I try to reply to an e-mail from someone who registered with an sbcglobal.com address from my google mail account:

To: [address_deleted]@gmail.com
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Delay)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 22:12:16 +0000

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

[address_deleted]@sbcglobal.com

Message will be retried for 2 more day(s)

Technical details of temporary failure:=20
The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at =
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=3D7720=20
[sbcglobal.com (1): Connection timed out]

Note that it's not just a bad e-mail address, the sbc server is not even accepting a connection from the gmail server. This problem has been going on for a while now. If anyone uses sbcglobal.com you might want to look into what's going on with your e-mail service.

Is sbcglobal.com even a valid e-mail address to begin with?

I did a little checking and there are a ton of users with valid, working accounts registered with sbcglobal.net addresses. There are a couple dozen users registered with sbcglobal.com addresses, but none of the accounts were ever activated, which strongly suggests that it isn't even a valid address and people are just entering it incorrectly.

So perhaps sbcglobal.com is rejecting e-mail because there is no open e-mail server at that domain name? This would of course mean that lots of people are incorrectly entering their e-mail address, but that wouldn't really surprise me. Heck, lots of AOL users incorrectly enter their e-mail address as starting with a www. (as in [email protected]).

Can anyone familiar with sbcglobal e-mail addresses shed some light on this?

OK, I am adding sbcglobal.com to the list of banned domain names for registration in an effort to prevent more people from incorrectly registering with it, since it appears to be invalid for e-mail e-mail addresses.

Back