• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX AC Experts DC? (no pun intended, definitely not laughing atm)

Air Conditioning Problems... Wish I had read the "Climate Control" wiki 2 days ago...Relatively new NSX owner, driving on the east coast, weather getting warmer, was extremely happy that AC was blowing cold although a little weak.Condensor sounded a little whiny, wasn't sure if that was normal, over the course of the week sound intensified, followed by a slight burning smell.Condensor stopped 2 days ago, (probably "cooked") and now that I'm reading things I wish I knew a week ago, probably induced a "black death" on my AC system.Haven't had a chance to open up the hood to check the Condensor, almost 99% sure it's shot. After reading the wiki, assuming the worst that there are black metal flakes throughout my system and it needs to be flushed. Can anyone confirm that this is likely the case OR should I just take it in stride, check/change the condensor, ensure that the freon is full with no leaks...Also, does anyone know of any NSX AC Techs in DC as I currently have the car in that region?Any comments/advice?...aside from I'm an idiot for not reading and checking that the Freon levels/ac Oil levels were high enough through the "sight" that I wish I knew about!... *kicking myself*Thanks in advance. Need AC... Black Leather Interior isn't so nice in the hot hot heat and humidity of east coast traffic :)

I'm not understanding what you mean by condenser whining and condenser stopped! You have 2 condensors they neither make noise or stop. Are you referring to the condenser fans? You don't need an NSX ac tech just an AC tech who knows what he doing.
first and foremost, Freon level check is in order.

Davidf, thanks, received some nice PMs for tips on local AC experts and have an appointment tomorrow. Will post how it goes. By whining I meant something in the AC system sounded like it was working harder than it should when I would engage the AC. The fans still blow the same as they did, but their was an additional distinct noise from a device that would engage and turn when the system last blew cold. Similar to the lower tones/whirring/whining of an AC on a window sill when the condenser (I assume) engages. Wish I could be more precise in my description, but obviously not familiar with this system. Hope this clarifies.

Yes the compressors can be a little noisy at times but burnt rubber is not a good thing so it may have seized but if you freon is low it will not run. I have seized a compressor in my nsx and is was a lot of smoke and noise but I was on the freeway.

My compressor has developed a clicking sound possibly due to running for a period of time with low oil. Even after putting in some oil, the clicking does not go away. The AC blows cold tho. I bought a new compressor waiting to be installed.

Is the low pressure service valve for the AC for recharge located in the middle of the front compartment (hood) right above the battery? Mine has a clear white cap on it.

Does the oil in the AC dry up? How often do you have to add oil?

Oil leaks out with the Freon, on my car they kept adding Freon and after several adds the oil was all gone and the compressor seized. Most shops hesitate to add more oil since depending on where the leak is the amount of oil that escapes is not a constant relationship to the amount of Freon. When I changed my evaporator the bottom of the case was full of oil. To much oil is bad too since it is incomprehensible and can damage the compressor.

So the oil doesn't dry out over time? Should oil be added if the freon isn't low or leaking even after 20 years? What is the capacity of our AC system on freon and oil?

Where is the low pressure AC service valve? Thx.

Oil leaks out with the Freon, on my car they kept adding Freon and after several adds the oil was all gone and the compressor seized. Most shops hesitate to add more oil since depending on where the leak is the amount of oil that escapes is not a constant relationship to the amount of Freon. When I changed my evaporator the bottom of the case was full of oil. To much oil is bad too since it is incomprehensible and can damage the compressor.

I had a deeper look into this as my car was struggling for more than 10 years with leaks...(finally was a bad mounted o-ring)

The A/C System contains 850 gr. R134a and about 120-140 gr. oil (PAG for 134a). Over time R134a dissipates over the rubber parts by a small amount, maybe 5-10% per year. If you have a R12 system and fill in R134a this process goes faster. If you don't have a leak the amount of oil should remain constant. If you have a leak you loose oil but how much? After 10 years of refilling I had absolutely no idea of how much oil was left. Too much is bad too. As a rule of thumb: if the system has lost half of its freon over time it also lost half of the oil. Most mechanics add a standard amount of oil like 30 ml but they have no idea how much oil they have been evacuating with their A/C station. I'm talking about serious A/C stations not freon-cans you buy at Wal-Mart or the like.
If you change parts there's a list of oil to add in the SM.

In your case: if you compressor (you call it condensor) is stuck and doesn't turn it's high likely that it's cooked and you have a black-death or metal debris throughout the system which would kill your new compressor. This would mean flushing all components individually (good chance to change all o-rings for R134a-ones!). If you get a new compressor it already contains (too much) oil (PAG if you get a R134a one). If you have flushed the system you may need all of the amount in it. This procedure is also described in the SM.

Make sure where the leak is/are and fix it/them before refilling.

Good luck! After all it's just money...

Back