• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Antenna

The NSX radio does have two antennas. If you look at the attachment on post #11 , you will see that there are two antenna connections on the back of the head unit. One marked mast antenna and one marked window antenna. I believe the system was designed as a diversity antenna system. The service manual shows the routing of the coax from the head unit to the glass mounted antenna (page 23-229). No hole in the hatch glass because the antenna is mounted on the inside of the glass.

Can't comment on whether you can remove the antenna from the glass without damage as I have never had any interest in trying. I actually run the head unit on primarily the window antenna because I disconnected the power to the mast unit.

Last edited:
Phone option antenna on Gen 1 cars

Thanks much for the replies I have received. All are helpful, but I still don't have a definitive answer, sorry.

The question is: Has anyone ever fully removed a telephone antenna from a Gen 1 car and was there a hole in the rear hatch glass?

The antenna in question is NOT the regular fm antenna painted onto the glass. It is a separate 12" high black antenna with a curly shape toward the base. The manual discusses a "car telephone option" on page 23-230 in the manual's wiring diagram. The parts catalogue shows only one choice for real window glass so there was no hole in the glass from the factory? One guy phoned me and told me he also has this optional phone, (anyone have any idea how many of these they sold?) and that he was told it was installed at the dealer who used a diamond drill to make a hole for the large co-ax cable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Bonneville Don
480-567-5964

I have never seen a genuine NSX cellular telephone so didn't understand the specifics of your question.

I can't give you a definitive answer. But, the analog cellular phones from the nineties that used a glass mounted thin wire mast with what looks like a spring / loading coil at the base were usually capacitively coupled through the glass. The antenna base was glued to the outside of the glass and positioned directly under the base would be a square / round / whatever fitting glued to the inside of the glass, typically with a coax connection. This system does not require a hole and works just fine providing there is no continuous metallic film embedded in the glass in the antenna mounting area.

My NSX is in winter storage so I can't check the labels; but, I expect that the hatch glass is tempered. Having a dealer tech drill a hole in tempered glass would be approaching insanity and drilling that hole close to the edge of the glass would be double insanity. When manufactured the holes are put in the glass prior to the glass being tempered, not after. My bet would be that the antenna is glued on and uses capacitive coupling. Careful examination of the fitting on the inside of the glass (particularly if you can pop the cover on the fitting) should confirm whether it is capacitively coupled.

Last edited:
I have the multi-page dealer installation instructions for the analog telephone. At the moment I'm not exactly sure where an electronic version is are, but I'm sure I can find it. I do know exactly where a hard copy lives. Let me know if you would like to see them.

I appreciate your response and it makes sense. I may end up trying to take mine apart to see, but I am scared I might break the glass. Really don't want to do that.
don
[MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] and I removed his hatch glass a couple of weeks ago and we had no issues. It was very straight forward and easy, 2 screws to remove the connector cover and then 3 connectors. Hardest part is reaching to the center of the glass from the side of the car.

[MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] and I removed his hatch glass a couple of weeks ago and we had no issues. It was very straight forward and easy, 2 screws to remove the connector cover and then 3 connectors. Hardest part is reaching to the center of the glass from the side of the car.

Just note that the phillips screws holding the cover on are VERY tight. I stripped one and had to drill it out. Just be ready for that. The screws are like 30 cents though, so no biggie if you have to drill.

Back