• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX beats C6 ??

Timpo you are a piece of work.You have no clue.I bought my 02 z06 4 years ago for 50,000 ,spent 8,000 on head/cam.That's at least 20,000 less than an NSX.I have 40,000 miles,no rattles no breakdowns,I am at 540 h.p.thats low 11 sec. territory.And what have you got?Good luck lookin good with that nice interior in the slow lane partner.

Patdeisa said:
At $80k, here are 3 cars slower than the NSX, but cost about the same or more as tested by Road and Track:
1. Jaguar XJR
2. Maserati Coupe
3. Maserati Spyder

Due to the lack of updates and cost, the NSX isn't competing with Porsche, the Corvette, Ferrari, or the Viper much anymore. However, it's still competitive to other luxury sports cars, even with it being 15 years old.

But the NSX is not a luxury sports car. There is not one luxurious feature in the car. It does not have the following features that are standard equipment in cars less than half the price:

1. Navigation
2. Trip computer
3. Heated seats
4. Seat memory
5. Homelink
6. One touch up/down for both windows
7. Full leather interior
8. Premium sound system
9. In dash CD
10. Bluetooth
11. Satellite radio
12. Storage compartments
13. Park distance control

As you said in your post, due to the lack of updates and price, the NSX isn't competing against Porsche, Corvette, Viper and Ferrari.

In my opinion, the NSX has not been competition with Ferrari for almost 10 years and is seriously behind the curve in comparison to other reasonably priced sports cars. The NSX should have been retired seven years ago.

Last edited:
CerberusM5 said:
1. Navigation
2. Trip computer
3. Heated seats
4. Seat memory
5. Homelink
6. One touch up/down for both windows
7. Full leather interior
8. Premium sound system
9. In dash CD
10. Bluetooth
11. Satellite radio
12. Storage compartments
13. Park distance control
According to your list not even a Porsche 911 is a luxury sportscar - without special order it has nothing of the above too (at least here in Germany). In fact, I don't need anything of that kind in a sportscar - I even threw out radio, one power window, A/C and so on - and now it is competitive enough for me.

Satellite radio in a sportscar?? Park distance control?? Is that an american illness?

BTW: In a test of car mags here the NSX was praised as one of the most comfortable and luxurious sportscars back in '97. But maybe we have other measures here.

liftshard said:
Mustang Cobra, no. I see 4.5 at best. E55? Comparable. 997? BS. Same times. Carrera S, perhaps a tick faster. NOT significantly. GT3, I see as high as 4.8 0-60, some as low as 4.3. Again, NOT significantly faster.

W/ the M5, you have to be joking. It ain't gonna hit 4.1, dude. It'll break 5 and that's about it from a car that size even with the V10. 4.5 would be great, but that's, again, ON PAR with the NSX.

But, either way, you've failed the test. NONE of these cars are significantly faster. In fact, the fastest NSX times are faster than some of the slower times of these cars, excepting the Vette and Viper. People could actually argue that the NSX is a tick faster, using 0-60. But, it's inarguable that they are VERY close to one another and NONE of them that you mention, except for the big American muscle, is SIGNIFICANTLY faster and under 80k!.
First of all, the 0 to 60 time are fairly meaningless to me as a guideline for accelerative prowess. There are too many variables in regards to the launch, driver skill level as well as drivetrain abuse. I think 40 to 140 and beyond are better demonstrations of a car's acceleration ability far better.

1. A stock supercharged Cobra will pull decisively on the NSX from a roll. One with $1000 in mods will destroy it.

2. The E55K would crush the NSX from any speed. (Just drove my friend's 2003 yesterday and know for a fact it would bury my NSX.)

3. A 997 Carrera S pulls away strongly (I know this personally in back to back runs switching drivers)

4. I have driven several GT3s and that car is a lot faster. It reached an indicated 165 on a section of road that my NSX attained about 145.

5. The V10 M5 should be faster than the supercharged E55, enough said.

liftshard said:
But, again, the NSX isn't priced like a Ferrari. It's priced like a REALISTIC 911. And, you cite 911s, but gimme a break. The base Carrera is a $80-90k car once you put ANY real options into it. Nobody buys strippers and base MSRPs on Porsches are grossly unrealistic. They can easily push $100k. The GT3 is a purpose-built sports car, essentially a track package. The NSX ain't.

I have two friends who bought 997S and they both stickered under $90k and they are far from "strippers". The NSX looks cheap and dated in comparison to the 997's interior. Also, the 997S has 65 more horsepower, a lot more torque, massive four piston brakes, fat 19" wheels/tires and a better performance suspension.

Last edited:
NSX-Racer said:
According to your list not even a Porsche 911 is a luxury sportscar - without special order it has nothing of the above too (at least here in Germany). In fact, I don't need anything of that kind in a sportscar - I even threw out radio, one power window, A/C and so on - and now it is competitive enough for me.

Satellite radio in a sportscar?? Park distance control?? Is that an american illness?

BTW: In a test of car mags here the NSX was praised as one of the most comfortable and luxurious sportscars back in '97. But maybe we have other measures here.

I agree that the 911 is not meant to be a luxury sports car, but it can be if so desired by checking the option boxes. I was making the comparison with cars like the Jag and Maserati that the other member used as an example, which are more luxury based sporting cars.

It sounds like you have modified your NSX very nicely to be more focused and edgier. I like the sound of that. I wish we were given the option of the NSX-R here in the U.S., but I have a feeling it would exceed the price of the GT3 and still perform not as well. How much of a premium is the R versus the standard NSX in Germany?

XM and PDC: It might be an American illness. However, I actually enjoy satellite radio quite a bit. :biggrin:

Sandy,

I think it is time to sell your NSX.

Anyway, 0-60 times are pretty meaningless. The start makes way too much difference. Like Sandy said, 40-140 would be much more interesting and in that area the NSX does not compete with many cars at all. The NSX is not that light anymore and 290HP simply is not enough for high speed runs. That has been shown over and over in Best Motoring videos. I think a C6 will beat the NSX without much trouble. There is not much point in arguing when you look at the facts. Both are very close in weight. One has 400HP, the other 290. It doesn't take a genius to figure out which will be faster.

While I wouldn't call the NSX interior bad by any means, it does look a little dated. Simple things like digital odometers, leather everywhere and an indash CD/NAV would solve that rather quickly. In a $90K car, those things are to be expected these days.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't trade my NSX for a C6. Now a C6 Z06.... hmm.....

I have an 01 stock Z06 totally stock and unmolested as well as a stock 94 NSX. I have raced the 2 cars head to head on 3 different occasions with my dad and my friends. The Z06 rips the NSX a new one EVERY TIME REGARDLESS OF WHO IS DRIVING WHICH CAR. I can't believe people are comparing the 2 cars and wondering which is quicker.

If I wanted speed, I drive the Z06. If I want a pure fun enjoyable driving experience that ALWAYS leave me wanting more, I drive the NSX.

CerberusM5 said:
I wish we were given the option of the NSX-R here in the U.S., but I have a feeling it would exceed the price of the GT3 and still perform not as well. How much of a premium is the R versus the standard NSX in Germany?
We also can't buy the R here in Germany but I read a price quote of about 100,000 Euros back in 2003 if it would have been available (which is about the same as the GT 3 and 10,000 Euros more than the standard german NSX coupe sticker price - yes it costs 90,000 Euros here, the T model is 95,000 :eek: - you may do the $ calculation).

NetViper said:
Sandy,

I think it is time to sell your NSX.

Anyway, 0-60 times are pretty meaningless. The start makes way too much difference. Like Sandy said, 40-140 would be much more interesting and in that area the NSX does not compete with many cars at all. The NSX is not that light anymore and 290HP simply is not enough for high speed runs. That has been shown over and over in Best Motoring videos. I think a C6 will beat the NSX without much trouble. There is not much point in arguing when you look at the facts. Both are very close in weight. One has 400HP, the other 290. It doesn't take a genius to figure out which will be faster.

While I wouldn't call the NSX interior bad by any means, it does look a little dated. Simple things like digital odometers, leather everywhere and an indash CD/NAV would solve that rather quickly. In a $90K car, those things are to be expected these days.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't trade my NSX for a C6. Now a C6 Z06.... hmm.....

Hi Dave,

How are things going? I hope all is well with your beast.

I don't know what to do at this time. I think the lack of power and certain handling shortfalls has really frustrated me and turned me somewhat negative of the NSX. I have considered selling it, but whenever I get together with Mike and Ken I keep thinking about the FX400, coilovers and BBKs. Maybe this is what I need to start enjoying my NSX. :confused:

As you know, I have the new ZO6 on order and look forward to delivery. I think that car will be a monstrous platform for a twin turbo kit. :biggrin: However, I have concerns that it will be just a short term fix and that the Corvette's lesser qualities may irritate me. With the NSX the factory power, brakes and handling frustrate me, but I think the C6's lower quality and workmanship may drive me nuts as well. I figure if the car is not what I'm expecting, I can turn around and sell it for not much of a loss.

I am first on the list at my local dealer for the upcoming 997 GT3 late next year. I think this will be keeper I have been searching for.

Last edited:
caseycarson said:
I have an 01 stock Z06 totally stock and unmolested as well as a stock 94 NSX. I have raced the 2 cars head to head on 3 different occasions with my dad and my friends. The Z06 rips the NSX a new one EVERY TIME REGARDLESS OF WHO IS DRIVING WHICH CAR. I can't believe people are comparing the 2 cars and wondering which is quicker.

If I wanted speed, I drive the Z06. If I want a pure fun enjoyable driving experience that ALWAYS leave me wanting more, I drive the NSX.
oh yeah the Z06 will beat 94 NSX no problem it's still a 3.0L NSX.

The new NSX is much faster, for example, the early 91 or 90(JDM) NSXs typically do 5.7 or 5.9 sec in 0-60mph and low to mid 14s in 1/4 mile.
The 2001 6 speed NSX will do 4.5 sec in 0-60mph and 12.9 sec in 1/4 mile. I would imagine the Type-S Zero or the NSX-R can do a little bit bitter. Maybe another 0.1 or 0.2 sec quicker?

I don't think the new NSX still can't win the Z06 in accelration, but I think it is going to be closer if that was a newer NSX.

Timpo said:
oh yeah the Z06 will beat 94 NSX no problem it's still a 3.0L NSX.

The new NSX is much faster, for example, the early 91 or 90(JDM) NSXs typically do 5.7 or 5.9 sec in 0-60mph and low to mid 14s in 1/4 mile.
The 2001 6 speed NSX will do 4.5 sec in 0-60mph and 12.9 sec in 1/4 mile. I would imagine the Type-S Zero or the NSX-R can do a little bit bitter. Maybe another 0.1 or 0.2 sec quicker?

I don't think the new NSX still can't win the Z06 in accelration, but I think it is going to be closer if that was a newer NSX.

Your facts are wrong.

A 91-94 can run 0-60 in 5.2 and 1/4 in high 13's @ 104-106 Best being 13.6@106 (MT)
A 97+ can run 0-60 in 4.8 and 1/4 is typically 13.3 @ 108. Fastest I have seen is 12.9 @ 110 (C&D)

While the 3.2 is faster than a 3.0, neither of them in stock form will touch a Z06 in a straight line. Out of the box it runs 115MPH in the 1/4 mile. The weight is nearly the same yet it has 405HP vs 290.

We all love our NSX's, but the say they (stock) will beat or stay with a ZO6 in a straight line is just silly.

lol its kinda crazy this thread actually has gone on this long :biggrin:

it shouldnt be a surprise that the C6 would be faster than an X
much less the monstrous C5 Z06

i know i'd get smoked if i did a highway pull against any of those
including alot of F-body's which are usually NOT stock at all
but then again, at least i can lose in style :biggrin:

i mean the day i saw a civic beat a viper i decided that there is always someone faster :biggrin:

I have a Z06. I paid $37K for it used and it ran 12.8@113 on very traction limited street tires at the drag track. I'm sure I could get low 12's out of it with new tires. Cornering is very good.

I think there is no reason to compare a $90K NSX to a 48K Z06. Naturally the interior and quality of the NSX is going to be much better given the price difference. That should go without saying.

If you compare on performace in a straight line the Z06 should win.

If you compare on quality, exocitic/rarity and buildout the NSX is hands down the winner. Looks are a question of the indiviuals taste.

My stupid waterpump just failed on me at 23K. :rolleyes: Luckily you can drive the Z06 without the waterpump working.

Does the Z06 turn good track and straight line numbers stock ? Yes.

Is it fun to drive ? You bet your ass it is.

Is it an exotic that you'd rather have than a Modena ? Uh no. Of course not.
Who would argue that point ? It's like the guy said earlier would you rather have a Firebird with $6,000 in mods that smokes everything ? I have a friend with a firebird/TA that has $43K plus in mods and runs mid 10's in the 1/4 mile but he knows it's not an exotic.

As far as the stupid Top Gun vid the C6 had to have been rather poorly driven by our bad teeth buds across the pond.

Quit picking on my cheap car. :tongue:

Last edited:
I believe that much of the complaints people have about the NSX arise because of its inflated MSRP. Dont we have to consider that most, if not almost all, of the NSXs that leave the lot each year do so via the lease promotion, which is more inline with a $55k to $60k car than a, gasp, $90k car?

If the price were $60K, would you all still complain? When I was looking for a new car it came down to two, a 2002 911C4S or a 2002 NSXT. The 911 was $3k more. I saw little difference in performance between the two (tie), was very comfortable with the Honda hertige (favour NSX), preferred the style of the NSX (favour NSX) and it was less expensive (favour NSX). I chose the equally performing car that had the style I prefered for less money.

Granted the new 911 kicks ass, especially the S, but go try to lease one for the same rate as you can/could an NSX and then come back here and tell us that its a way better car for less/equal money.

And I agree, anyone trying to argue that from a performace perspective only, an NSX can compete with a ZO6 is dreaming.

It's all relative. Some people might complain about the price of the vette.

Even if the vette and NSX cost exactly the same any sane person would think the NSX would be of better quality.

Acura is in the business of bulding quality cars. GM stamps out ugly shit boxes for the masses like there is no tomorrow.

Last edited:
Maybe. But for the most part if you look at their car lineup its not too far off.

I was pretty impressed with my waterpump failing at 23K miles. :wink:

I have had all types of cars full road race BMW 2002's to 425hp solid lifter Midyears to 69 428 Cobra Jets, bla bla bla and have driven almost everything-
most 911's, Twin Turbos, New and old Z06's, most year Vettes etc.)
Yet here we are Comparing a 3 liter 6 cylinder designed 15 yrs ago to a fairly large new V8 thats been out a couple years.
What the hell is supposed to happen in a straight line?
The fact that its even close and being talked about is quite amazing to me.
And for the record, you can build a 10 second streetable car for under 10 grand.
Or get 1.5 g's for under 10 grand. (but what will it look like? what about build quality)
Whats the point here?
No Vette owner in their right mind should puff up if they smoke a 6 in a straight line.
On a road course, it would be more driver than car between these two.
But almost anyone can mash the loud pedal going straight, so I guess
that's why these things come up. I just sold an old race car for an ungodly amount of cash.
Could buy almost anything save from a few super exotics.
What am I scanning the globe for? A Black & Ivory 91-93 NSX.
A good friend of mine called last week and is is selling his 2002 or 3, ZO6 with 5000 orig miles. (NEVER SEEN RAIN, OR BEEN ANYWHERE NEAR REDLINE)
Trippple Black. Showroom cond! Not a scratch. (PM me if your interested) Priced about where the early mint, NSX's I have been looking. I have driven the car 3x. Bitchen car! But its not what I want.
And all you NSX owners out there. Please do not smoke a 4 banger and brag about it. Its just not right.

MCM said:
I have had all types of cars full road race BMW 2002's to 425hp solid lifter Midyears to 69 428 Cobra Jets, bla bla bla and have driven almost everything-
most 911's, Twin Turbos, New and old Z06's, most year Vettes etc.)
Yet here we are Comparing a 3 liter 6 cylinder designed 15 yrs ago to a fairly large new V8 thats been out a couple years.
What the hell is supposed to happen in a straight line?
The fact that its even close and being talked about is quite amazing to me.
And for the record, you can build a 10 second streetable car for under 10 grand.
Or get 1.5 g's for under 10 grand. (but what will it look like? what about build quality)
Whats the point here?
No Vette owner in their right mind should puff up if they smoke a 6 in a straight line.
On a road course, it would be more driver than car between these two.
But almost anyone can mash the loud pedal going straight, so I guess
that's why these things come up. I just sold an old race car for an ungodly amount of cash.
Could buy almost anything save from a few super exotics.
What am I scanning the globe for? A Black & Ivory 91-93 NSX.
A good friend of mine called last week and is is selling his 2002 or 3, ZO6 with 5000 orig miles. (NEVER SEEN RAIN, OR BEEN ANYWHERE NEAR REDLINE)
Trippple Black. Showroom cond! Not a scratch. (PM me if your interested) Priced about where the early mint, NSX's I have been looking. I have driven the car 3x. Bitchen car! But its not what I want.
And all you NSX owners out there. Please do not smoke a 4 banger and brag about it. Its just not right.

I agree completely with eveything you said. I am a car enthusiast and always have been. Keeping in line with your post. If you build a car that can beat a Enzo in a straight line does that make it in anyway equal to an Enzo ?

There are civics that can outrun my Z06 or an Enzo for that matter. Do I want a 10 second civic ? Hell no.

Not all vette owners or even a large part of them are stupid. I love the NSX.

Always have since they first came out. I have witnesses. :cool:

And to stay on topic. Those english guys are always negative to the vette.

Nice looking car. What a big difference in feel the NSX is to that.
Hard to cross over from a car like that to a NSX. Stark contrast.
The body of the Vette is so light and the glass is so thin it's like driving a Molotov cocktail. :smile:
Push that through a slalom and you've had a workout!
Damn nice car. :cool:

Last edited:
i think i remmeber seeing the z06 do a sub 8 minute on the ring. (7:50) i think. i know it wsa faster then the nsx-r. given, it does have 400hp... and you need that for the uphill/straights.

the new c6 will outperform probably every nsx, maybe on par, or better then the nsx-r. its just simple facts. the C32 is 8 years old. while the c6 is brand new technology.

anyways, i beleive the nsx still represents japan's super cars because its always in Best Motoring vs the likes of, porches, lambos, ferrarris, vettes. i beleive they use this comparison to state the idea of "the nsx is old, but still is "able" to hang with these new super cars, even if it loses."

its been long over due for honda to step back into the super car scene. maybe honda should work with their counterpart mugen to put this into production. then we'll see who's faster.

lm4.jpg

LegendMAX1.jpg

Back