• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Cell Phone

Does anybody know what year they were available,and where they were mounted.Thanks

Hi

I have never seen pictures of this. Anyone?

Regards

It was on the early cars ('91-'94, maybe '95 and '96 too). It was a factory OEM accessory analog cell phone. It was more or less obsolete by '95. Most people who get the early cars that have them end up removing them. My old '92 had it, and I removed it. I have the instructions for installation/removal of the complete kit (it's kind of involved) if anyone's interested. It's like 20 some pages.

just imagine the center console where the cup holders are at. Thats where the phone resides. The phone looks like the old analog phones with the cord that attaches to the car with the dial pad on the back side of the ear piece.

dainese51 said:
91-92 center console

My '94 NSX has one in the center console as well....they were offered for years up to 1995 I think. I might be off by a year though.

Well belive it or not they were still installed in 2000. Test drove the red/tan listed on Autotrader in Jonesboro, GA. Factory installed phone in center console with buttons on the cover to activate the phone.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...=2001&isp=y&pager.offset=0&lang=en&cardist=64

I thought is strange that in 2000, someone would want a fixed phone in a care, especiall for the $2k the owner said it cost as a factory option!

HarryMtv said:
I thought is strange that in 2000, someone would want a fixed phone in a care, especiall for the $2k the owner said it cost as a factory option!
Not to mention the huge transmitter thing in the trunk which was about the same size as the factory CD option.

The only thing I found that the phone was good for was when I was showing the car to people, I'd point out all the cool features and then I'd open up the phone compartment and say "look .. it even comes with a bat phone". My son still refers to my black NSX as the "batmobile". :biggrin:

I bought my 96 2 years ago and all that was left is a pad where the coin tray should be. I would LOVE to find a coin tray and get rid of the pad. Anyone interested????

Can you hear me now?!?

Hey... Crocket & Tubbs want their phone back! :biggrin:

miami_vice.jpg

Dad's ill fated 91 had it,
3738BitterTears.jpg

It was set up for hands free- I will never forget the day Dad called me while I was buzzing down the highway and his voice came booming over the stereo speakers- Stunned the crap out of me. :eek: I thought Darth Vader had joined the Beastie Boys...:biggrin:

Now that phones are so tiny those old hard mounts seem silly, but I remember how cool it was to have that little black antenna back in the day...

96NSX-T, just go buy yourself a replacement coin tray. They are pretty cheap. It's not that hard to put in either. You could just pull the button panel out, but it'll leave you with a coin tray that has a couple of decent sized holes in it.

I have a '92 that had it and I pulled almost all of the easily accessible part of the phone system out. I did it very, very carefully as I didn't want to break anything or cut any wires if I ever decided to put it back for some strange reason. I didn't pull the wiring harness from the trunk all the way through though...

That's a cell phone in my '96 NSX-T? I thought it was a computer...:tongue:

I plan to keep the phone (though I'm secretly PM'ing Ben for the removal instructions) as it is the only thing that makes the car seem like it was built 10 years ago. Isn't that amazing?

nsx2tall said:
I plan to keep the phone . /QUOTE]

I removed mine from the center console, but I also plan to keep it. I also plan to keep the car for quite a long time, after driving it a whole bunch and doing a number of years' worth of track events, eventually doing a cosmetic restoration (seats, carpet, paint) even though it doesn't really need it now.

Assuming (hoping!) this ends up being a collector car in the future, I removed the phone and put it in safekeeping. With any luck it will turn into one of those things that 20 years from now people will be paying beaucoup dollars for rare and thrown-away items (like the rev limiters and snorkel tubes from 1970 Boss 302's) on the future's equivalent of eBay. (If it does turn out that way and I still have the car, that would mean it's worth something, eh? I didn't buy it as an investment car, but would be nice if it turns out that way. Ya neva know!)

CKS Papa said:
martin,
here'e a picture from this

perry

Thanks Perry.

Wow that looks ancient. For those that have that installed no matter what other mods you do the car would look ancient with that phone installed :)

Regards

martin said:
Thanks Perry.

Wow that looks ancient. For those that have that installed no matter what other mods you do the car would look ancient with that phone installed :)

Regards

I'll remember that next time I'm at the chariot races with Flavius Maximus and Julius Ceaser-- they're so keen on the lastest gadgets for the Year 30 models.:tongue:

Maybe "dated" would be a better choice of words? Oops gotta go, my bag phone is ringing... I think it might be Crockett...:biggrin:

Ben,

Do you still have the NSX phone installation & removal instructions? I just bought a '95 with a phone, and I would like to take it out.

No one has asked me for this for over a decade. Luckily, I still had it. For some reason, it's not letting me attach files here, so you'll have to PM me your email.

Hows it going Ben!

Hows it going Ben!

It's going! It will be great when I can get my new 2021 registration sticker for the NSX in a few days, just in time for summer!

My 2020 sticker is in my office, which I've had no access to since January due to COVID.

How's everything on your end?

Same just trying to avoid covid....laying low...still working with business increasing....Pa is on the downslope...but other states are behind the curve if you catch my drift...:rolleyes: This July will be 24 years with the bee....and just celebrated 17 years of wedded bliss..My oldest 15 yo just got certified as a life guard...

No one has asked me for this for over a decade. Luckily, I still had it. For some reason, it's not letting me attach files here, so you'll have to PM me your email.

Thanks, Ben. I'm new to NSXPrime and apparently still don't have access to PM yet. Could you PM me, or is there some other way I can get you my e-mail address?

Back