• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX end of production

Re: Honda

That is truly sad...I still remeber the first day NSX came out...
On a happier note, do you guys know if honda is going to keep the NSX name plate or not...please tell me they are!

The current NSX will be missed. I just hope the new one will be hand built and have even better quality and fit. It scares me everytime I hear a GM or Ford buyer saying "naw we know if we use the better part it will last 10 year but we only need it to last until the warrentee runs out, we'll save the 5 cents please". :eek: It scares me to think how many parts the marketing/sale people decide to re-engineer :confused:

If you really want a car like that, go buy your vettes and I'll stick with my evo since i know it's a 14K car with 22K worth in factory mods. To speak the truth it would not surprise me if the new ZO6 turns out to have quality problems like the Ford GT. Honestly, I probably would buy a new Z06 since i can't affort a car to it's equal performance but I'm going to wait 3 years for GM to ring the bugs out.

I purchased the NSX because the car was built the way I feel all cars should be built. I think putting titanium rod on a 270hp machine is considered well engineered and I really respect that. The NSX will alway be one of my favorites.

I waited three years to find the right (I am on a serious budget) 1992 NSX. I finally bought because I feel they are at the nadir of their value. It is highly unlikely that I will ever have to sell my car for less than the $16,000 I paid for it. I watched this happen with the Supra TT market. In 2001-2002 you could, with $15,000, get you a nice 6 speed Supra TT with 80,000 miles on it. Now that same car with 120,000 miles on it sells for about $28,000 if not more. Whether production continues or not the value of the NSX will only drop so much.

Things of the exotic sort almost always will loose and then gain value after production ceases. Sometimes though the wait is very long. Attrition takes it toll and there are simply less of them around and they "are not making any more".

If you are say $50,000 into your NSX then yes, for a while then it will be worth a lot less, but if you hold on long enough it probably will not be that heavy a toll. If you are $25,000 into your NSX you may never loose money at all. If you just bought a brand new one then keep the miles low and hold on or sell as soon as possible to minimize loss.

Examples from my life...recent history basically. In 1991 or so I looked at a Ferrari Dino with a rod knock but, a clean, low mileage genuine Ferrari. The price was $6900. Like a moron I bought a 944 Porsche instead. Had I put a few thousand dollars into it I could sell it now about $60,000, maybe a bit more. Before buying the Porsche I also look at a Pantera and a BMW M1 which were both priced less than $10,000...I still bought the stupid 944. Either of those cars would sell for much more now. The NSX will probably be the same way.

The reason I say this is simple. As I ate sushi tonight on a busy street person after person would stop to look at the NSX parked there. This happens all the time. People love the NSX. Look around you at so many jealous faces in traffic, they are watching you in your car. This my friends is value. This is what makes a lot of people buy an exotic or semi exotic car. The NSX will look just as good to me in 5 years as it does now.

Do I hope they replace it...YES. I do not mind if it is not the fastest of the exotics on the road or the lowest priced or in the middle. There is a market for another generation of hand built Honda genius. Yes, it should make a lot more power. I spend a lot of time in a 2004 Corvette as well as my NSX...the Vette is a really awesome driving experience as well. The new NSX need not be 600 bhp or anything crazy, a genuine 350-400 at the tires on an eddy brake dyno would be totally thrilling! So would a 10,000 rpm engine and a manual sequential gearbox...those BAR-Hondas sounded great in practice at the F1 last month. Enough dreaming.

"NSX end of production"

That's what got me off the bench.
With less than 9000 total being sold in the US, and a large % being totaled / crashed I felt it was time to pick up a nice one. (and fast)
I mean, how many hand built/alum/mid engine Supercars are out there with
60k miles in the low $30's? And built by Honda no less! With engines that will go 200k mi if maintained?
I do not think we will ever see another car like this again.
I have heard different stories on what they actually cost to produce,
$125k to $150k has been mentioned more than once.
Anyone know what his car really cost Honda to produce?
(That's why I do not think we will ever see anything like it again)
Not many Co's are willing to have a specific product factory, race track, utilize its top employees, and sell the product at a huge loss.
Lucky us! :biggrin:

I was writing when you posted-
"I also look at a Pantera and a BMW M1 which were both priced less than $10,000..."

Where in the world did you see an M1 for $10k!? :eek:
And what type of NSX goes for $16k?

Just in shock at the M1 deal.............. :eek: :eek: :confused:

Mojorator said:
It would be even "cooler" if he got THE LAST NSX EVER BUILT!!!!... :eek:

MIke

Would be cool, but I have a feeling that the very last one will wind up in the Honda museum alongside the first one, and likely be a Type-R.

Ben said:
Would be cool, but I have a feeling that the very last one will wind up in the Honda museum alongside the first one, and likely be a Type-R.

He could get the last one in the US though.

The M1, Dino and Pantera were all cars I looked at in about 1991-1993 in the Dallas area. I have since found a few Panteras for less though if, you are willing to do a LOT of work. At that time the M1 was rare but, no-one really seemed to care about them...I have always loved that car.

My NSX is a nearly flawless 1992. It is in "snap ring" range and has never been opened up. The tranny shifts very well with the exception of going into third gear in a "race shift" type of speed. If it is fine now at 150,000 miles I have little to no concern that it has a bad snap ring/case. It had 142,000 miles on it when I bought it. Body was almost without any blemish. Interioir showed normal wear and tear and still does as right now it is my daily driver. It is all stock and now rolls on OZ Superleggras...which update the look a lot.

I just like to drive mid engine cars...first was a MR2. I like to not but once a year roll up to another car like mine at the stop light. People love the NSX and it makes a good conversation starter with a lot of people who you would never meet without it's help.

If my car is stolen tomorrow, my insurance screws me and I get nothing, it has still been worth every penny. It really is the most satisfying car I have ever had the opportuninty to spend a lot of time in. I know you guys understand that one.

Back