• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX end of production

I wonder if Honda will seize to produce certain, some, or all OEM parts for the NSX at the same time.

John@Microsoft said:
Is it just me, or do most enthusiast 'wish lists' for the next NSX seem to read more like a spec sheet for a Chevy Corvette ? :tongue:
:rolleyes:

NO THANKS!!! I don't think any of us want to own a POS.

Brocz said:
What's a Corvette? :biggrin:

I suppose we'll all just have to wait a year and find out first hand, but I would strongly suspect it it lives up to its hype that it's the thing that's going to be lapping your 230rwhp mid engine 95' NSX-T badly.

John@Microsoft said:
I suppose we'll all just have to wait a year and find out first hand, but I would strongly suspect it it lives up to its hype that it's the thing that's going to be lapping your 230rwhp mid engine 95' NSX-T badly.

LOL!!!!!!! did you get offended John ???? LOL!!!

I'll take my 230rwhp NSX 1000x out of 1000x over any / all POS, mass-produced, un-refined, I-see-100-of-them-every-block Corjunks!!

:rolleyes: give me break. Yes the new zo6 is going to have very impressive numbers, perform very well from the factory. So go buy one :rolleyes:

Did you know there actually are a few people in this world who buy a car for more than just performance.........perhaps some of us own an NSX for everything that it is.

wagyshag said:
LOL!!!!!!! did you get offended John ???? LOL!!!

Not at all. :wink:

wagyshag said:
I'll take my 230rwhp NSX 1000x out of 1000x over any / all POS, mass-produced, un-refined, I-see-100-of-them-every-block Corjunks!!

I think you speak for everyone on NSXPRIME when you say the exclusiveness and satisfaction the NSX driving experience conveys on the street will likely never be eclipsed by a Chevy Corvette. Having owned one myself, I agree that it's hard feeling special when you see 10 other owners a day waving at you. I also admit I had my share of practical issues with mine being one of the first units. Likewise thou, if this is the argument then you have to conceed that there is probably a similar thread on the Lambo forums or Ferrari chat right now regarding the NSX (e.g. "Yeah the NSX is ok but it's just not as cool tooling around town as my $150,000 modena")

wagyshag said:
:rolleyes: give me break. Yes the new zo6 is going to have very impressive numbers, perform very well from the factory. So go buy one :rolleyes:

On a open track I hear from a reliable source the C6 sucks. Steering numb, brakes suck, handling off... given the extensive re-design we'll have to wait and see on this new Z06 next year and evaluate it on its own merits. Looks promising with good direction, and it could well prove to be a good addition to the garage for the money and IMO it would be unfair to talk it down so soon without any first hand experience with the product. For a pure performance enthusiast there may be good value to be had, and... there is a point where all enthusiast justifications aside, one quite simply must admit that so far as a strict performance assesment they are quite simply absolutely out-classed.

wagyshag said:
Did you know there actually are a few people in this world who buy a car for more than just performance.........perhaps some of us own an NSX for everything that it is.

Actually I think I am in a fantastic position to relate to just this point of view, in fact I get reminded of it regularly quite likely to my own detriment. :biggrin:

To clarify, my intention in my initial post is to simply show that many of the things people have asked for over the last year in the NSX/HSC threads (500hp V8 with titanium goodies, dry sump oil system, aluminum frame & suspension, carbon fiber body, bigger brakes/tires, hand-built) at a price they are willing to pay (60-90 grand) are incompatible concepts when a further requsit is mandated like it needs to still be a low volume production Japanese sports car like the NSX is today.

You can't ask for what you can't have. Lots of technology and performance at a low price- then say oh well I don't want it to be mass produced as I need to also be the only one to have it so I can feel exclusive. More than any other single factor, it's the deficiency in sales volume that drives up costs to end users. From the stand point of a pure performance enthusiast- the fact they sell near as many Corvette's a day NSX's a year is by all accounts a good thing as it lowers the overall cost of the platform and provides more bang for the buck to the consumer.

Last edited:
wagyshag said:
:rolleyes:

NO THANKS!!! I don't think any of us want to own a POS.

I would never drive a corvette. I like my sports cars to not share a radio with the cheapest car in the lineup. Cavalier radios in new vette's just turn me off. :biggrin: Avalanche door handles also make me sick :tongue:

John@Microsoft said:
IMO it would be unfair to talk it down so soon without any first hand experience with the product.

Actually I wasn't talking the next zo6 "down" at all. The numbers as I stated before are darn impressive for the $$$$. All I am simply saying is - TO ME it isn't all about how much faster car A is than B. If I only wanted performance I would have bought a new Cobra, spent another few grand and had a HP beast (so-to-speak). Hence, the C4, 5, 6, any corjunk for that matter isn't my cup of tea. The corjunk is a great performance car, I will be the first to admit it however, there is a little more than just putting an engine under the hood and calling it a day. :wink:

[/QUOTE] To clarify, my intention in my initial post is to simply show that many of the things people have asked for over the last year in the NSX/HSC threads (500hp V8 with titanium goodies, dry sump oil system, aluminum frame & suspension, carbon fiber body, bigger brakes/tires, hand-built) at a price they are willing to pay (60-90 grand) are incompatible concepts when coupled with a low volume production Japanese sports car like the NSX.

Thus, you can't ask for what you can't have. Lots of technology and performance at a low price- then say oh well I want to be mass produced as I need to also be the only one to have it. More than any other single factor, it's the deficiency in sales volume that drives up costs. From the stand point of a pure performance enthusiast- the fact they sell more Corvette's a day then NSX's a year is by all accounts a good thing as it lowers the overall cost of the platform and provides more bang for the buck.[/QUOTE]

By this statement you make a very good / valid point. Well said too.
I can def. see where you're coming from..........

I wonder if Honda will seize to produce certain, some, or all OEM parts for the NSX at the same time

Generally, they must provide parts for 7 years after production.

I'm worried about getting seals, weatherstripping and timing belts after then.

Drew

Re: Honda

whiteNSXs said:
Because if you drag a car on without improving it and still market it as your flagship, it will gather more and more negative criticisms and impressions. Very soon more people, especially people never had the chance to experience the status of the NSX in its most glorious days, will only laugh when the 2010 NSX screaming down the street with its 290hp engine and $130k price tag. Now, that would be a Hall of Shame material.
People always measure one's quality with one's peer. In the next 10 years of NSX production, people will forget how butt-kicking the car was. I wrote something silmilar a few months ago.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=342874&postcount=8
Steve

I thought it was already an honorary member of the Hall of Shame? I hope the rumors are true that 2005 is the final year, which is 6 years over due. At least this would keep it from being a full fledged member. I think continuing to produce the current car only further degrades the car's once sterling aura. They should have axed it after the Zanardi edition.

Honda has lost its hunger and has become fat and conservative. What a shame. Bring on the HSC you wimps!

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
I would never drive a corvette. I like my sports cars to not share a radio with the cheapest car in the lineup. Cavalier radios in new vette's just turn me off. :biggrin: Avalanche door handles also make me sick :tongue:

Well you don't have to worry about that with the NSX - of course, it's radio isn't even as good as the cheapest car in the Acura lineup!

C6 Corvette

I don't think you guys give the new C6 enough credit. I agree the interior is still cheap (modern at least), but from a performance perspective, it eclipses the NSX in every category for half the price. However, the Vette does lack the precision and feel compared to benchmarks such as the GT3, but you can't have everything for $50k. I hope Chevy does some tuning in that respect on the ZO6.

The new ZO6 will make the NSX's performance abilities look on par with a Civic. At $80k+ the NSX's performance capabilities are an embarassment by today's standards.

Generally, I would think people buy sports cars primarily for their performance abilities and to a lesser extent visual appeal. I did not take the average NSX owner as the all show no go type. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
TC said:
Well you don't have to worry about that with the NSX - of course, it's radio isn't even as good as the cheapest car in the Acura lineup!

My thoughts exactly. I would love to have an audio system comparable to a $20k RSX. Unfortunately, Honda decides to use a 15 year old tape deck with a lousy CD changer. What a joke!

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
I would never drive a corvette. I like my sports cars to not share a radio with the cheapest car in the lineup.

I'm glad someone beat me to the punch on shutting this little coment down. I had a long string of negative comments foaming at the mouth when I read what he had posted here. The NSX stereo is by far the most unforgivable mistake Acura has ever made over an extended period of time. JUNK!

The NSX stereo is by far the most unforgivable mistake Acura has ever made over an extended period of time. JUNK!

I disagree.....in almost seven years of owning my 1995, the factory stereo never gave me one bit of trouble. I'm not saying it is perfect, as current systems are quite well-refined, but it is definitely not "junk".

Juice said:
I'm glad someone beat me to the punch on shutting this little coment down. I had a long string of negative comments foaming at the mouth when I read what he had posted here. The NSX stereo is by far the most unforgivable mistake Acura has ever made over an extended period of time. JUNK!

Yeah. I'd take a new Corvette stereo in a heartbeat over the one in the NSX. It's not a great stereo, but it's better than what comes in the NSX. Besides, he just changed out his stereo from his NSX to aftermarket. Then, he said on one thread that the end of the NSX production was BS, and then on another, said that he had a "favor" from Acura reps, that he was going to get the first HSC coming here next year!!??
:confused:

Re: C6 Corvette

CerberusM5 said:
I don't think you guys give the new C6 enough credit. I agree the interior is still cheap (modern at least), but from a performance perspective, it eclipses the NSX in every category for half the price. However, the Vette does lack the precision and feel compared to benchmarks such as the GT3, but you can't have everything for $50k. I hope Chevy does some tuning in that respect on the ZO6.

The new ZO6 will make the NSX's performance abilities look on par with a Civic. At $80k+ the NSX's performance capabilities are an embarassment by today's standards.

Generally, I would think people buy sports cars primarily for their performance abilities and to a lesser extent visual appeal. I did not take the average NSX owner as the all show no go type. Am I wrong?

If performance is all I'm looking for than I would buy a base 350Z , turbo charge it than add nos to it. I would still have change from the 50K. I surely would have more fun and a more reliable car than a Z06.

always something out there. . .

CerberusM5 said:
... The new ZO6 will make the NSX's performance abilities look on par with a Civic. At $80k+ the NSX's performance capabilities are an embarassment by today's standards.

hmmm... There are old Civics that will make the new Z06's performance abilities look on par with a Cavalier. :tongue:

Again, why are we dwelling on things analogous to a pissing contest? Do you work/own a glue-factory? Coz' you just keep beating a dead horse into Hamburger-Helper, my friend!

The new Z06 damn well better be all that & then some... sheesh, it's 16years newer than the NSX (more or less)... :rolleyes:

When you mention that the NSX is a fair buy at $70k... you have to realize that what the $70k's category of sportscars is now:
- Lexus SC430,
- BMW 6-series,
- CLK55 AMG,
- Jaguar XK8,
- Cadillac XLR,
- Topped-Off Boxster_S,
- Nekkid-Bare Carrera,
- '06 ZO6 @ $75k.

If you up the ante & get in the $80k's:
- Jaguar XKR,
- Basic-Trimmed Carrera_S,
- Maserati Coupe/Spyder,
- Viper SRT10,
- Acura NSX-T.

*NO: GT3 ($99k+), SL ($91k+), CL ($95k+)

I agree that the NSX should've subtly evolved over the years in regards to the stereo & power. And yes, the $89k sticker price initially does sting the eyes a bit (fortunately, the actual selling price of $81-82k is a bit more palatable!). However looking at the two groups above, the NSX surely is a cut above the rest in the former batch & fits adequately and appropriately in the latter batch.

The NSX belongs. That is undeniable. Period.

Last edited:
Re: always something out there. . .

Osiris_x11 said:
[/B]

The new Z06 damn well better be all that & then some... sheesh, it's 16years newer than the NSX (more or less)... :rolleyes:

When you mention that the NSX is a fair buy at $70k... you have to realize that what the $70k's category of sportscars is now:
- Lexus SC430,
- BMW 6-series,
- CLK55 AMG,
- Jaguar XK8,
- Cadillac XLR,
- Topped-Off Boxster_S,
- Nekkid-Bare Carrera,
- '06 ZO6 @ $75k.

If you up the ante & get in the $80k's:
- Jaguar XKR,
- Basic-Trimmed Carrera_S,
- Maserati Coupe/Spyder,
- Viper SRT10,
- Acura NSX-T.

*NO: GT3 ($99k+), SL ($91k+), CL ($95k+)

I agree that the NSX should've subtly evolved over the years in regards to the stereo & power. And yes, the $89k sticker price initially does sting the eyes a bit (fortunately, the actual selling price of $81-82k is a bit more palatable!). However looking at the two groups above, the NSX surely is a cut above the rest in the former batch & fits adequately and appropriately in the latter batch.

The NSX belongs. That is undeniable. Period.

Your comparisons make a lot of sense. I know at times I target and amplify what I see as the NSX's flaws (relatively low power, understeer and marginal brakes) in my various posts. I just think the car should have come with these deficiencies addressed from the factory, versus me needing to spend another $20k into FI, suspension and BBK. Fianancially, this would put me in GT3 territory and the overall results will probably not be as good as the GT3. I think it is very hard to beat the factory efforts, without lots of money.

No doubt the C6 ZO6 should be an improvement given the development years. I think it will be a performance monster. This is the reason I am frustrated with Honda. They should have been doing the same thing versus sitting around and letting the NSX get passed by its competitors. Honda needs to step it up and release the NSX replacement; now!

Existing Car values

The topic of existing car values has come up a few times in this thread, and I figured I'd share my opinions on the topic.

If Honda decides to stop production of the NSX, it is an obvious conclusion that existing NSXs will increase in value. The demand for the no longer produced new car will be shifted to the previous model years, and I think, this will push the prices of cars 5-7 years up. Significantly up? No. Probably not up at all; but will be more resistant to a downward trend. I think that cars older than 5-7 years will maintain their current value scheme, since the buyers of this car market do not intersect with the new NSX car buyer market.

Now, if honda desides to introduce a new NSX that is sexier than the old NSX, it will certainly cause the value of the newer NSXs to drop. People looking to get a 2002-2005 will now be more tempted to get the newer, faster, sexier model. This will slow demand in this category, and bring the price down. How much? I think the price drop would moderate for the new cars. The desire to spend 60k on a car that is the "old" style would be much lower than if a new style didn't come to fruition. The older cars, in the 30-45k range, would probably not decline in value, again, because the newer cars are in such a different price segment.

In either case, I see the minimum value for a clean NSX with good mileage to remain where it is 25-35k. However, after such time that the newer sexier NSX falls into this price range, expect the newer model to command a premium over the v1 NSX.

My thoughts,
-Jeremy

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back