• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX enthusiasts in Tokyo

I'm going to be in Tokyo next week (Sept. 28 - Oct. 8) and was wondering if there are any NSX enthusiasts in Tokyo that might want to meet up for a cup of coffee.

Are there any special NSX stores worth visiting? I visited the Honda Verno/NSX showroom in Tokyo just before it closed in 1999.

It would be fun to bring bring back some NSX mementos so please post any and all suggestions.

Paul

Hi,

As far as I know, there aren't any NSX specific shops/dealers that are easily accessible by public transit.

However, here are my suggestions for "must-sees" for the NSX enthusiast in Tokyo.

Disclaimer: Directions are to the best that I can remember, but I am not responsible if you get lost. :)

It's hard to put the directions into words, but if you have a train/subway map, then it's easier to see. Keep in mind that you need a complete map, or you need to "build" a complete map using several. This is because the public transit system is a hodgepodge of private and state run systems, so it's hard to find them all on a single map.

1. Honda Welcome Plaza
This is Honda's headquarters, and has a small car and motorcycle showroom and gift shop. Sometimes there are special shows and events going on. Take the subway to the Aoyama stop, and they are right next to the subway exit.
Map

2. Mr. Craft
This is the mother of all model/diecast shops. It's 4 floors, and the top floor is a consignment showroom with many out of production or rare items. Take the Yamanote Line to the Ebisu station. I can't remember which exit you need to come out of, but there is a J-phone store across the street from the exit. If you don't see a J-phone store, then it's probably the other exit. Mr. Craft is diagnally across the other street (it's an intersection) from the J-phone store.
Map

3. Super Autobacs
This is a Japanese auto parts and accessories superstore. The highlight of this (in addition to the plethora of accessories) is the 2nd floor bookstore and model/diecast shop. The book store has a wall of drawers full of catalogs/brochures for just about every Japanese car ever made. They have stuff for JDM, European, and US markets, some dating back to the '70s, although the US and European stuff, as well as the older stuff tends to be expensive. You can find lots of memoribilia here. Take the Rinkai line to Shinonome, and you can see it when you come out of the station.
Map

4. Toyota Mega Web
I know, it's Toyota, but it's a really cool showroom with pseudo-test drives, an attached shopping mall and amusement park (for the family, while you are looking at car stuff), and there's an automotive history hall/museum (for all cars, not just Toyota), and a pretty large model/diecast shop. If you are going to Super Autobacs, it's accessible from the Rinkai line, although I can't remember the name of the stop right now. You can't miss it though, because there is a huge ferris wheel. It's also accessible from the "Yurikamome" line. It's the stop right before or after Odaiba, but I can't remember which now. Again, you can't miss the ferris wheel. To get to the Yurikamome line, you can take the Yamanote line to Shimbashi.
Map

5. Kinokuniya Bookstore
This is a large Japanese bookstore. They have lots of magazines and books about many cars, including the NSX. I've been to both Shinjuku locations, and their selection in the automotive section is pretty extensive. Lots of interesting magazines that you've never heard of. They also stock many back issues of the Hyper-Rev series of magazines. I've picked up a lot of NSX related material here. There are two stores in the Shinjuku area. The Main store tends to have more stuff, but the South store is easier to find. Take the Yamanote line to Shinjuku Station. Shinjuku Station is a labyrinth, so make sure you come out the right exit. For the South store, it's in the Takashimaya Times Square complex, on the far side. From Shinjuku Station, exit from the "New South Exit", and it should be easy to find.
South Store Map
For the Main store, you can look at the map and decide if you want to try to find it or not. It's not difficult to find, if you know the general direction, but it's hard to describe in words how to get there.
Main Store Map

6. Macs
This is an NSX exclusive dealer, but I don't think it's easily accessible by public transit. You can see their website, which has a map, and decide if it's feasible to visit:
Macs Website

Last edited:
macs is difficult to reach unless you know someone with a car,
suprautobacs will give you the most fun, its like a giant toy store for car lovers. Make sure its SUPER autobacs and not just the nasty 'ol autobacs ;)

Pity you werent travelling further down honshu!

Hi folks...

This topic is extremely interesting to me as I am in the early stages of planning my first ever tip to Japan. Any info experienced Japan travelers could provide would be greatly appreciated. :)

For me, the NSX is a major focus of this trip. Tentatively, I plan to leave CA on Oct. 31st and stay in Japan through Nov. 17th. What's special about those days? Nothing... but since the Tokyo Motor Show ends Nov. 5th, I want to arrive in Japan with time for at least 2 days at the show. Then, on Nov. 15 & 16, we have the last JGTC race of the season @ Suzuka Circuit. Other things I'd like to do include possibly touring the Tochigi plant and somehow finding an NSX-R. Since the Verno showroom closed, where can I do this? And does Honda provide factory tours (of Tochigi)? How do I sign up?

And what about the NSX Club of Japan and the NSX Fiesta? Their site says that in 2001 the Fiesta was held Nov. 2-4th. A search on Prime revealed that the '02 event was held Nov. 17 & 18. But I couldn't find any info on an upcoming 2003 event? It would be super cool if the 2003 Fiesta also overlapped my schedule. Either way, any NSXCJ members on this forum interested in getting together while I'm there?

I expect to spend a couple more days somewhere in between going to shops, etc... then the rest of my time I'll do the tourist thing. So, if anyone has suggestions on NSX (or other) things to do, please do share. :)

TIA!!!
~eric

For NSX Fiesta, you either have to be invited, or you have to know a Japanese NSX owner who is willing to have you as his guest. I think this has been standard policy since 1998. Previously, I think they allowed foreign registrations, not sure why they changed that policy.

As for seeing an NSX-R, they have one at the Honda Welcome Plaza in Aoyama, but it's not necessarily always on display. If it's not on display, it will be in the underground parking garage, where you can see it if you drive there and park in the garage. If you aren't parking in the garage, then I'm not sure if they will let you down there or not. It's a safe bet that most Honda Verno dealers will not have an NSX-R on display. In Japan, I think most dealers don't have a bunch of cars that you can just drive off the lot when you buy. You have to order the car you want, and pick it up a few days later when it is delivered to the dealer.

I've been fortunate enough to tour the Tochigi plant twice, so tours are available, but I'm not sure how you sign up, as our Japanese hosts took care of the logistics for us. I do know that they have to be scheduled in advance.

As for the points of interest I mentioned above in my previous post, if you visit and explore all of them, it will take at least 2 days.

Tokyo Motor Show would be interesting. There are rumors that a next generation NSX may be shown there, but they are rumors, so it's anyone's guess.

As for NSX Club of Japan, you might try the contact email (if listed) on the site. I know at least 1 of the members is on the mailing lists, but I don't think he checks Prime forums.

princxixor said:
For me, the NSX is a major focus of this trip. Tentatively, I plan to leave CA on Oct. 31st and stay in Japan through Nov. 17th. What's special about those days? Nothing... but since the Tokyo Motor Show ends Nov. 5th, I want to arrive in Japan with time for at least 2 days at the show. Then, on Nov. 15 & 16, we have the last JGTC race of the season @ Suzuka Circuit. Other things I'd like to do include possibly touring the Tochigi plant and somehow finding an NSX-R. Since the Verno showroom closed, where can I do this? And does Honda provide factory tours (of Tochigi)? How do I sign up?

And what about the NSX Club of Japan and the NSX Fiesta? Their site says that in 2001 the Fiesta was held Nov. 2-4th. A search on Prime revealed that the '02 event was held Nov. 17 & 18. But I couldn't find any info on an upcoming 2003 event? It would be super cool if the 2003 Fiesta also overlapped my schedule. Either way, any NSXCJ members on this forum interested in getting together while I'm there?

I expect to spend a couple more days somewhere in between going to shops, etc... then the rest of my time I'll do the tourist thing. So, if anyone has suggestions on NSX (or other) things to do, please do share. :)

TIA!!!
~eric

most of the honda dealers dont have any nsx related stuff period. As mentioned above, just the usual family orientated stuff.
Although im going to pop in to my local dealer and see if i can order some parts :)

there's a nsx-r in the honda museum at motegi. oh, but it's a 97 spec, i think, in case you meant you want to find a new one. they may have one there by now, though... but the older ones are sill worth a gander. i like them better anyway =)

and there's a pretty good chance someone will randomly be driving theirs on the track any given day. when i went a while ago, there was a type s and type s zero, a bunch of integra Rs, skylines, and a rx-7 club meeting with about 40 very clean FDs.

motegi is pretty far from tokyo, maybe 3 hours by car on a non-race day. no idea how long if there's an event... possibly an eternity. there may be a bus that goes there from shinjuku or something, or you can rent a car and try to navigate the quite convoluted an non-contiguous highway system. oh, actually i think i remember seeing bus info on honda's japanese website, or maybe it was on the jgtc site. check both =)

have fun,
jeff

oops, 94 spec then. it has the second version r wheels.

so was there never a 3.2 6-speed r until 2002? and why did i think there was?

jeff

jeff_L said:

jeff

The Type S-Zero is pretty much the equivalent 3.2 6sp Type R, until Honda took it to another extreme in the '02 Type R.

jeff_L said:

jeff

'97 is the debut of the NA2 NSX. The NA2 = 3.2L 6 speed manual. NA1 = 3.0L 5 speed manual/4 speed automatic.

MACs is pretty cool, but don't be too excited or you'll be disappointed. If you are going to Japan, there are a ton of other things that's far more interesting than NSX related stuff. Once you get there, I doubt you'll care too much about cars.

I just got home from a trip to Kyoto and Tokyo. I saw a single red/black NSX parked in Kyoto and nothing ( nada ) in Tokyo! Just like my trip to Milan where I saw no Ferraris!

Brought home 2 die cast 1:43 scale models though ( EBBRO is the brand name to look for )

Have fun :)

Back