• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX F1 Exhaust Can Be Done!

With this car's personality, I would like the power increase concentrated in the upper RPM range. For that reason, I prefer a centrifugal style over a positive displacement supercharger.

Dave

With this car's personality, I would like the power increase concentrated in the upper RPM range. For that reason, I prefer a centrifugal style over a positive displacement supercharger.

Dave

In that case it would be nice if www.wynjammer.com made one for the NSX since he is a one man shop.

I just got a S10 4.3 as a sleeper and to haul stuff around.

For $2500 blower I give stock NSXs a real hard time. :biggrin:

Thanks guys for the feedback. When I get a quiet version I'm pleased with I'll give this some serious thought.

Two problems though for a lot of NSX owners. With this setup, it is only center-exit, and you can't run a rear sway (which I prefer anyways).

Just figured out our van will be out of commission for another week, so I welded in a Flowmaster 60-series with a universal Magnaflow hiflo cat to quiet this down for this week of daily driving duties. It was just too loud and stinky before. Well, the 60 series quiets the exhaust at 2500 RPMs and up, but it's still pretty boomy below that. Also, it's amazing how much power the Flowmaster saps. It's really restrictive above 5k RPMs.

Sadly, in order to quickly weld it in, I had to sacrifice most of the setup in the previous videos. Gone is my valve, resonator tubes, and loud mode muffler.

Oh well, it will give me a chance to buy all new materials and make a "finished" product. I have to admit, after all the cutting, welding, recutting, rewelding, patching, etc. to do all these ideas, it was looking very hacked up.

Dave

So how is it progressing? Got yourself digged in the world of forced induction or are you still working with the exhaust?

Sorry - been on vacation the past few weeks!

I did receive a new box of parts. Since the setup on my car is already so hacked up with all the different experiments, I'm going to cut it up and combine it with these new parts.

A friend gave me a new idea to experiment with on the x-pipe in the picture, so that will be going in soon:
pieces.JPG

Still thinking about a turbo - have a neat idea that no one has ever tried before to my knowledge. Piping volume and distances from the heads to the single turbo will be equal and the shortest distance from any setup out there (except the SOS twin turbo), except mine will also have the least compressed intake air volume, shortest distance, and least flow losses to a custom intercooler and intake manifold than anything out there (unlike the SOS twin turbo). I need to decide soon so I can order new pistons!

Dave

Last edited:

I did receive a new box of parts. Since the setup on my car is already so hacked up with all the different experiments, I'm going to cut it up and combine it with these new parts.

A friend gave me a new idea to experiment with on the x-pipe in the picture, so that will be going in soon:
pieces.JPG

Still thinking about a turbo - have a neat idea that no one has ever tried before to my knowledge. Piping volume and distances from the heads to the single turbo will be equal and the shortest distance from any setup out there (except the SOS twin turbo), except mine will also have the least compressed intake air volume, shortest distance, and least flow losses to a custom intercooler and intake manifold than anything out there (unlike the SOS twin turbo). I need to decide soon so I can order new pistons!

Dave

Nice to hear from you, hope your vacation was satisfactory. Mine starts next friday ^_^

Looking forward to see the results of your experiments, and if you do succeed with your turbo ambitions, I think it could be the start of your own NSX-dedicated company, making exhausts and turbo kits for starter =)

I don't even own an NSX (yet) but I would definitely purchase one of these exhausts if you put it up for sale in case you do a limited run. Those videos sound amazing.

pieces.JPG

Dave

IMO a turbo will kill the sound or at least make you start over.
Nice job so far and it seems you are quite handy.
If you want to go centrifugal compressor you dont have to re-invent the wheel.
Plenty of Baschs out there.
They look killer too.
Having an exhaust like your might motivate me to get off my behind and put mine on.
Is there a possibility of a custom bent sway bar ?

My car has been on jackstands almost 2.5 months now :frown:

It's just been too hot to open up the garage and do some welding. But tonight, I was able to make some progress.... Am going to try and incorporate this x-pipe in to smooth out the tones somewhat. I'm guessing this will reduce peak power in exchange, but will hopefully be worth it.

Oh, by the way, the reason I run the x-pipe and my old y-pipe at this location are twofold: 1) PipeMax software and the cheap spraypaint trick have shown this is the ideal location for these components; 2) It also happens to be where pressure drop losses from each head are approximately equal before the banks are merged. It's truly sad how much thought, engineering, and labor has gone into this....

Dave

IMG_3922.JPG

My car has been on jackstands almost 2.5 months now :frown:

It's just been too hot to open up the garage and do some welding. But tonight, I was able to make some progress.... Am going to try and incorporate this x-pipe in to smooth out the tones somewhat. I'm guessing this will reduce peak power in exchange, but will hopefully be worth it.

Oh, by the way, the reason I run the x-pipe and my old y-pipe at this location are twofold: 1) PipeMax software and the cheap spraypaint trick have shown this is the ideal location for these components; 2) It also happens to be where pressure drop losses from each head are approximately equal before the banks are merged. It's truly sad how much thought, engineering, and labor has gone into this....

Dave

IMG_3922.JPG
Awesome Dave!!!

Thanks, kinda.

Just finished welding up the loud portion and took her for a spin after 2.5 months of sitting. It sounds AWESOME until you hit 4k RPM's, and then it's just too much rasp after that. Now I'm pissed I hacked up my old system to try this out :mad:

Just came in the house to grab a camcorder and record the in-cabin sound so I can analyze it. But first I'm going to weld on my shorty dynatech muffler to see if there's any difference whatsoever. Not expecting much since it's only a 6" long straight-through case but I've gotta try before I order a longer perforated case :rolleyes:

I'll update later!

Dave

As posted above, my latest design didn't work as expected. But, I finally am happy with my quiet portion and I can say it is almost as quiet as OEM and emissions-friendly when I want it.

Loud mode still sounds pretty awesome. Not F1'ish like my last version, but a nice sound. I'll try to get a video if anyone else wants to recreate this concept.

I got it ceramic-coated red, although it will eventually be covered up with custom diffusor and rear mesh. With cat and valve, this weighs right at 30lbs, which is not bad considering it can be either completely quiet or pretty straight-through and loud (a pleasing loud, not ricey at all). This is what it looks like:

IMG_4045.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

I may still entertain a limited production run of my F1 exhaust shown in this threads videos. This would feature:

- No droning at any engine speed.
- Optimized pipe lengths and internal piping components to generate the tones heard. Will still be low restriction and yield appreciable power gains over stock and most aftermarket exhaust systems.
- Catalytic convertor, vacuum-operated valve, programmable controller (like Corvettes) and quiet mode titanium muffler.
- Titanium piping.
- Target weight of 24lbs.

This would require center exit and removal of rear sway and a waiting time so it can be matched and built to your headers of choice. No other cats or test pipes necessary.

I'm thinking of $5k US dollars. Not outrageous considering some titanium mufflers go for $3500, don't include a cat or valve with flexibility to be quiet, and oh yeah, don't have the scream this one has :eek:

Please let me know if there's any interest.

Thanks,

Dave

O dang. :frown:

I prefered the F1-ish version and I liked this quote alot better:
...If this is something you like (I'm flattered), it would probably be best to supply a sketch and pictures to your local exhaust fabricator and have them weld it up...
Was looking forward to a writeup, altough i really cant blame you for trying to make some money from all your research. Either way, you have my respect for your accomplishments. :smile:

I guess i'll have to stick with my v5.1.

I've gotten a lot of interest, more than I thought with the high price :redface:

RacingHeart:
I understand. I need to bother my patent lawyer on two other patents that are stalled later this week. I'll talk with him about this concept. I've already done a bunch of patent searches and one is similar, but I think this is still patentable. If I can get this patented or pending, then I could do a lot cheaper. There's just too many folks in the automotive business of stealing others' ideas and forging their own. Would like to get some protection as this is also applicable to any other vehicle - not just 6cylinder NSX's!

Thanks again,

Dave

Last edited:
I've gotten a lot of interest, more than I thought with the high price :redface:

RacingHeart:
I understand. I need to bother my patent lawyer on two other patents that are stalled later this week. I'll talk with him about this concept. I've already done a bunch of patent searches and one is similar, but I think this is still patentable. If I can get this patented or pending, then I could do a lot cheaper. There's just too many folks in the automotive business of stealing others' ideas and forging their own. Would like to get some protection as this is also applicable to any other vehicle - not just 6cylinder NSX's!

Thanks again,

Dave
Nice work and kudos for taking this route. The time, knowledge, R&D, testing, and research alone makes the price rather cheap considering. Happy to help if I can.

RacingHeart:

Thanks again,

Dave

Do you still have your NSX? Just curious if you landed anywhere with producing some of these exhausts?

Do you still have your NSX? Just curious if you landed anywhere with producing some of these exhausts?

Not on here much these days but I still have it.

I waited too long and the patent law was changed in the 2010 time frame from date of first idea to first to file gets the patent. Wouldn't you know, Borla comes out with their patent-pending intermediate piping section length variation exhausts and that was part of my idea (you can see throughout this thread or or my others the various length calcs I had to target certain resonance frequencies). I spoke with Dave Borla years ago and told him I had some other ideas but he wasn't interested in hearing any. Oh well.

After I ditched the turbos I've kept toying with various ideas over the years... I'm an engineer always trying to chase perfection.

Now, my focus is electric cars and I'm more interested in those different noises and added soundtracks.

To be honest, I think it would be awesome to have the lightest, quietest, free-flowing exhaust made for your car, then add this for custom sound:
https://thor-tuning.com/

Not on here much these days but I still have it.

I waited too long and the patent law was changed in the 2010 time frame from date of first idea to first to file gets the patent. Wouldn't you know, Borla comes out with their patent-pending intermediate piping section length variation exhausts and that was part of my idea (you can see throughout this thread or or my others the various length calcs I had to target certain resonance frequencies). I spoke with Dave Borla years ago and told him I had some other ideas but he wasn't interested in hearing any. Oh well.

After I ditched the turbos I've kept toying with various ideas over the years... I'm an engineer always trying to chase perfection.

Now, my focus is electric cars and I'm more interested in those different noises and added soundtracks.

To be honest, I think it would be awesome to have the lightest, quietest, free-flowing exhaust made for your car, then add this for custom sound:
https://thor-tuning.com/

I think the possibility for speakers on electric cars making any sound is too easy.

Do you still have a pic of your original F1 exhuast or variants? It's not longer posting on this site.

I think modding your old NSX to achieve the sounds/vibrations you made 10+ years ago is a lot harder than synthesizing sounds for electric cars.

Back