• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX F1 Exhaust Can Be Done!

I could be convinced to try this and make some recordings. Stroked, ITB'd, and this exhaust...child please. :)

Are the parts, pictures, etc etc something that you would be willing to share? :redface:

:eek: OMG that is orgasmic!
Plans to sell?

I could be convinced to try this and make some recordings. Stroked, ITB'd, and this exhaust...child please. :)

No, maybe I could be convinced to try ITB's :wink: Just kidding, I've begun sourcing a unique centrifugal supercharger setup now.

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone - I'm not sure what I'd like to do yet.

The exhaust is currently apart (yet again) to work on further refinements to my Quiet Mode. It's so difficult to have a quiet, light setup given the materials I've got. Why have an active valve if I can't have an extremely OEM-like sound when I want?

When I get this finished I'll post some flyby's to get your thoughts/feedback. Can't wait to hear the Doppler shift from outside the car :eek:

Can't believe it's been a solid year of working on an exhaust design, but I'm getting close!

Dave

No, maybe I could be convinced to try ITB's :wink: Just kidding, I've begun sourcing a unique centrifugal supercharger setup now.

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone - I'm not sure what I'd like to do yet.

The exhaust is currently apart (yet again) to work on further refinements to my Quiet Mode. It's so difficult to have a quiet, light setup given the materials I've got. Why have an active valve if I can't have an extremely OEM-like sound when I want?

When I get this finished I'll post some flyby's to get your thoughts/feedback. Can't wait to hear the Doppler shift from outside the car :eek:

Can't believe it's been a solid year of working on an exhaust design, but I'm getting close!

Dave

Dynamic valve baby! Run a 2" restrictive muffler for quiet mode yet open her up for when the engine needs it! I have a couple stock Yamaha R1, and CBR mufflers I can give to you to play with :)

That's a good idea - like you said before, some of them even have built-in bypasses too, right?

Are those 2"ID? About how much does one weigh?

That might be the ticket - thanks!

Dave

That's a good idea - like you said before, some of them even have built-in bypasses too, right?

Are those 2"ID? About how much does one weigh?

That might be the ticket - thanks!

Dave
Yes, almost all modern street bikes I know of has a bypass valve right there in the main exhaust pipe (normally after the header collector but before the muffler). However, I believe it's to control lower end torque and at full close only covers about 80% of the opening. The R1's I have are about 2lbs each maybe but you'd need two since i'm sure each one can only sufficiently flow for 500cc. The CBR unit is a bit heavier.

Will weight and measure ID and get them to you.

I guess my point is.. if your quiet mode is not quiet enough perhaps you just need a more restrictive muffler? Like you said before... if its in quiet mode who cares about a little exhaust restriction anyway.

Last edited:
Yes, almost all modern street bikes I know of has a bypass valve right there in the main exhaust pipe (normally after the header collector but before the muffler). However, I believe it's to control lower end torque and at full close only covers about 80% of the opening. The R1's I have are about 2lbs each maybe but you'd need two since i'm sure each one can only sufficiently flow for 500cc. The CBR unit is a bit heavier.

Will weight and measure ID and get them to you.

I guess my point is.. if your quiet mode is not quiet enough perhaps you just need a more restrictive muffler? Like you said before... if its in quiet mode who cares about a little exhaust restriction anyway.

Thanks though, but I guess that would fall in line with a glasspack I could source.

Believe me, I've choked off the flow and performance in pursuit of quietness! The only problem is the low-end rumble you can only reduce with (a) Helmholtz resonator(s) or a big muffler like the OEM one. I just don't have that real estate anymore with my loud mode setup.

Dave

I met an Honda Integra down town today and the howling sound that came out of the exhaust was just insane.
I seriously looked around expecting to see a Zonda F or Muricelago SV, but nope - it was the freakin Integra that made the sound. And the Integra has a four cylinder engine! :eek:

If an Integra can sound like that - im positive so can an NSX!

I met an Honda Integra down town today and the howling sound that came out of the exhaust was just insane.
I seriously looked around expecting to see a Zonda F or Muricelago SV, but nope - it was the freakin Integra that made the sound. And the Integra has a four cylinder engine! :eek:

yeah and it probably cost him $100 :biggrin:

Should have asked what brand exhaust....

Since the video in the first post, I've gone through one more iteration and have more parts on order for a second iteration.

Also, since I started over a year ago, my welding skills have improved and I have a bunch of new tools to help me with metal fab (chop saw, tubing notcher, etc)!

This next version is going to sound just awesome :wink:

Dave

Last edited:
Since the video in the first post, I've gone through one more iteration and have more parts on order for a second iteration.

Also, since I started over a year ago, my welding skills have improved and I have a bunch of new tools to help me with metal fab (chop saw, tubing notcher, etc)!

This next version is going to sound just awesome :wink:

Dave

Do you have any better pictures?

Thanks for the compliments! It's definitely taken a lot of time and work (and a few $).

EAC - Not to sound too prickish, but after all this R&D time, fab time, and parts costs (all the mufflers, mandrel bent piping, etc I've tried), I'm contemplating getting a professional fabricator and selling a limited run of these after it's finished. Don't know what to do yet....

Now I'm thinking about an engine rebuild with Jenvey ITB's - with 150HP direct port wet nitrous injection to satisfy the occasional HP craving :cool:

Dave

Thanks for the compliments! It's definitely taken a lot of time and work (and a few $).

EAC - Not to sound too prickish, but after all this R&D time, fab time, and parts costs (all the mufflers, mandrel bent piping, etc I've tried), I'm contemplating getting a professional fabricator and selling a limited run of these after it's finished. Don't know what to do yet....

Now I'm thinking about an engine rebuild with Jenvey ITB's - with 150HP direct port wet nitrous injection to satisfy the occasional HP craving :cool:

Dave

3.5L, 12.5:1, e85, toda cams, pnp heads, itbs!? :wink: I wonder how that would sound with your exhaust... :biggrin:

Dave

No prob, you can't fault me for tryin tho :biggrin:

3.5L, 12.5:1, e85, toda cams, pnp heads, itbs!? :wink: I wonder how that would sound with your exhaust... :biggrin:

I don't think I'll ever know - I can't afford all that! All I can justify at this point would be 3.2L bore, pistons, head work, bearings, LMAs, good HG/studs. Then AEM, ITB's, oil pump, harmonic dampener, $1000 in engine rubbers and hoses, new fuel system, radiator, carbon clutch, etc... But the good news is that I've got my wife's permission!

I'll be doing the work myself, but it will be my first time taking apart an engine on my own. With the help of some books and your very nice writeup I'm looking forward to it. Definitely going to take my time.

No prob, you can't fault me for tryin tho :biggrin:

Not at all, I'm actually very flattered by everyone's interest :smile:

Dave

Congrats again man...

We would consider fabbing this for you Mac.. we can also add that " shape and design style " we have that you have complimented us on.

Contact me if you'd like

Regards

Really interested to see what kind of numbers this puts down compared to the other big names that unfortunately don't sound anywhere near as good as this. I don't care if I haven't picked up an NSX yet, if you end up having these produced I will buy one and keep it in the garage until I find an X. No way in hell I'm missing out on this. Oh and btw Dave, you sir are a Boss.

Last edited:
Congrats again man...

We would consider fabbing this for you Mac.. we can also add that " shape and design style " we have that you have complimented us on.

Contact me if you'd like

Regards

Thank you Ross, this would be a good match with your impressive systems and awesome fab skills. There's a few things I would still like to try, but I have a feeling the engine rebuild mod bug has hit and that may delay refining this exhaust even more.

Really interested to see what kind of numbers this puts down compared to the other big names that unfortunately don't sound anywhere near as good as this. I don't care if I haven't picked up an NSX yet, if you end up having these produced I will buy one and keep it in the garage until I find an X. No way in hell I'm missing out on this. Oh and btw Dave, you sir are a Boss.

Hey, thanks! I initially designed this with two objectives in mind:

1) Power
2) Weight

However, after the initial loud coolness factor wore off, I got tired of the sound quality (basically a straight pipe) and how loud it was (especially the drone), so I had to go back to the drawing table.

Here's some of the threads that came with developing this over the past year:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134710
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138291
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145161

I think the latest still weighs about 25lbs, but that even includes the cat to make it enviro-friendly :smile: So it's really a savings of around 30lbs compared to the OEM muffler and cats.

As far as power, I doubt any other exhaust brands would make more. With the valve and resonators, I can have it quiet when I want, or bypass them and dump through a basically straight-through 3" tube out the back with very little backpressure. I should have done a before dyno with the OEM cats/muffler, but didn't :frown:

With the cat/muffler bypassed, mine should sound similar to this since the layout would be similar:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146855&highlight=taitec

But mine has a few more tricks to enhance the sound even more :wink:

Dave

Back