• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nsx mods and fixes

Happy 4th to all. Recently purchased a 91 with 34K miles, clean inside and out. However, no records to see work done on the vehicle. But, a few things call out attention and I would like your perspective. Original exhaust on the vehicle and the original owner took meticulous care of the car, yet after test driving about 8 x's some of the ones I was most attracted to had a nice exhaust sound to them. It has been recommended to me that changing the oem resonator with an air scoop by downforce would create a nice enought sound that I may not want to consider my next fix which is the left speaker, anyone with experience using this product, comments appreciated. Original owner of the car died and along with him went his records of maintenance done on the car. The car runs great but not sure whether the timing belt and water pump has been changed and am looking to do this next week, however any comments on whether this should be done or not would be appreciated. What is the best fix for the left front speaker, should the entire system be replaced?

The first order of business would be to get that timing belt replaced, on many low mileage cars this is not done, even though it has a time interval for replacement, as well as a mileage interval. The conventional wisdom is to replace the waterpump at the same time, as in combination with the timing belt the bulk of its replacement cost becomes trivial.

As far as your intake is concerned... adding the scoop will result in a sound benefit, a 'sucking' noise under throttle, but it will not be on par with the exhaust system you mentioned, and it will not produce any meaningful performance benefit - there is a recent thread here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72226

that discusses the 'ram air' idea. The best 'performance gain' from the air intake system seems to be retaining the stock setup, and perhaps going with a higher flowing air element (such as the unifilter)... You would probably be better served in this regard by identifying the exhaust brand you test drove, and purchasing that unit for your car.

There are a few vendors who repair the Speaker Amps. I think BrianK here on Prime may be one, and if so, his work is highly recommended by others here.

Timing belt needs to be done if you are not sure if or when it was done.

I love the sound of my downforce scoop regardless of the benefit of performance, but you still may find you want an exhaust also. I can not see you going wrong with the scoop however, and since it is so inexpensive, I would try it first to see if it satisfies you aurally (not orally you bunch of pervs).:tongue:

nsxrider said:
Original owner of the car died and along with him went his records of maintenance done on the car. The car runs great but not sure whether the timing belt and water pump has been changed and am looking to do this next week, however any comments on whether this should be done or not would be appreciated.

It is possible that your mechanic could take the timing belt cover off the bottom of the engine and see, to some degree, what the condition is of the timing belt. A better way to approach it is to see if a sticker was put on or near the engine stating that the timing belt service was done. I know that Toyota does this, atleast at my dealership. Third, and I need a little help on this, but the 91-(?) water pumps were replaced with a newer version by Acura that included a bleeder valve, but I do not know for sure when this was changed. So, if you see an original water pump, then most likely, the belt was never changed. If you see the updated water pump, then atleast you know it was done after a certain point.

Can someone else chime in on when the update took place from Acura?

I think that change was back in the 95-97 range, so that would not be a good enough sign since it could have been changed beack then and still be due again. Acura does not due the sticker thing like Toyota, so unless the dealer has it's own policy this would not help. I think if I were in your shoes I would call all dealers in the area where the guy lived and car was used to determine what place was servicing it. You might luck out and find all the records at the dealer. They will just need the last 7 of the vin to look it up. You could also see if there were any campaigns done and if so, your local dealer can tell you the dealer who did those repairs which might tell you who was servicing it.

If you're doing the tbelt + wpump on a 91, you may want to consider taking care of the hoses in the engine bay as well, since the engine is already dropped. Or be like me and drop it 3x in 2 years (tbelt, hoses, then head gasket!)

-Josh

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone have a pic of the 'downforce scoop?'

Sounds like you bought a really nice car, what color is it?

6i9 said:
Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone have a pic of the 'downforce scoop?'

Sounds like you bought a really nice car, what color is it?

Here:
http://downforce.biz/cart/catalog/Air-Scoop-p-16198.html

d_111.jpg

Back