• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Multimedia Presentation from The Need For Speed (and why it made me buy one)

Cliff notes: I captured the NSX multimedia presentation from the 1995 video game The Need For Speed, written by Road & Track Magazine's Douglas Kott. This game inspired me to buy a NSX, a dream I recently realised. Given it's age, this game is now abandonware.

Right click & save:

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/15506TNFS_Acura_NSX_Multimedia.avi

--------

In 1995, aged 13, I thought life could get no better when I was given the computer game The Need For Speed for Christmas. This game was the first of many released under The Need For Speed title, yet unlike later versions, the original focussed on realistic cars, environments and gameplay - as far as 1995 PC technology allowed.

The game offered players the chance to race a handful of exotics (Ferrari 512TR, Lamborghini Diablo, Corvette ZR-1, Porsche 911, Mazda RX7, Toyota Supra, Dodge Viper and Acura NSX) through traffic on alpine, coastal and city roads, with the added challenge of trying to evade the police who offered offenders an "all expenses paid county vacation" if they caught you.

Aside from the racing, an interactive multimedia presentation by Road & Track Magazine briefed players on the specifications and virtues of each car available. The Ferrari offered "Italian style, beauty, speed, comfort and exclusivity" whilst the Lamborghini's engine sound? "Think of a dozen trombones".

I decided right then and there that one day, I had to own one of these cars.

The Ferrari and Lamborghini are all very nice, but I realised that even if I could afford them, I wouldn't get to enjoy them much. Later on I had a friend with a 911 turbo (993) and whilst it was hellishly fast, a fantastic performer by almost any standard, it was hot, cramped, seemed dated and didn't make me drool.

The Viper and Corvette ZR-1 are both extremely rare and consequently expensive here in Australia. I think the Viper is absolutely georgous and looks a lot of fun (and next time I'm in the US, I'm planning on renting one for a day), but both these cars seem to be more about brawn than brains. Maybe it gets the job done, but it's not how I work, so it's just not "me".

The same can't be said for the RX-7, but just like the girl your mate thinks is hot and you don't look twice at, for some reason I didn't see the attraction in the styling.

This leaves just the Supra and the NSX. I've had great experiences owning a Toyota MR2, so whilst the Supra keeps it in the Toyota family, it's a completely different concept. Yes it's a lightning bolt in a straight line, yet in most ways it would have been be a step sideways and backwards rather than a step up. To me it's a very hot hatch, good value & fun for awhile, but after 11 years of waiting I was looking for more than quick thrills.

Fortunately, given that none of the others fit the bill, The NSX is the natural successor to the MR2 and has all the things I've come to love in cars: Wedge-shape (I'm a sucker for it!), mid-engined, n/a power, thrilling sound, 2 seats - and dependable too. It's the total package, the one car that ticks all my boxes. As we all know, it's a unique car in that it's a technological showpiece where somehow the bean-counters lost out to the marketing people in the design. Perversely, it's also one of the few exotic cars where the marker's name actually reduces the value of the car. If Ferrari had built the NSX, it would sell for far more, yet it would still be the same car. To me, that sounded like everything I asked for - at a bargain price - God bless those marketing people!

So I took the plunge on a NSX earlier this year, and 4 months later I when I return to the car parked somewhere, still can't believe it's mine. At the moment that's because it's in a workshop with the interior stripped out and I therefore don't recognize it, but that's another story :biggrin:

I hope this long-winded post helps remind everyone why they love this car so much - that it's stood head and shoulders above cars of it's day, the total package, with the Japanese heritage and marketing tool aspirations giving us a car that's designed better, built better and yet far less costly than anything comparable. Then there's all the other stuff about it having unmatched "real world accessible" performance, easy to drive, designed with the help of Senna, and used as the basis for the McLaren F1. But you know that!

Nice write-up John!

Trust me when I say not to hire a Viper and test drive it... Your much better off living with a dream. The Viper is a HUGE disappointment! The shape and engine promise soooo much! Then you hop in it and still so much anticipation knowing what you just saw under the bonnet...

Then you start it and the disappointment starts! the vibration and roughness is very agricultural... Driving is worse! How would you describe vague, heavy and loose all in one word.... Yes! Truck! Imagine driving a diesel truck and your pretty close to the Viper experience...

Then again, you'll probably appreciate the NSX more (if that is possible) after your Viper experience...

I remember watching all those showcase presentations as a kid; that brought back so many wonderful memories. Thanx for posting that video.

Great write up! I completely follow your logic and the conclusion, and I bursted out laughing at your analogy of an RX-7 vs. a hot girl... ROFL... classic! :D

what are you guys watching this in?

quicktime woln't play it? i get no video and the audio is coppy like it is buffering every other second (eventhough it downloaded the entire thing?)

OneRedNSX said:
what are you guys watching this in?

quicktime woln't play it? i get no video and the audio is coppy like it is buffering every other second (eventhough it downloaded the entire thing?)

I'm watching it through Windows Media Player. I don't know how I can help you, but try opening the saved file with a different program. If quicktime didn't work, it's not going to work.

OzzieJohn, good write-up! It reminded me of how much I appreciate the NSX, and how thankful I am for video games. If it wasn't for GT3, I probably would never be typing this post at this exact moment.

OneRed: It's encoded in DivX 6.4 - you may need to download the codec (for playing in Windows Media Player) or the standalone DivX player, both available at:
http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/

AU_NSX - I'd imagine after *your* NSX, pretty much anything would be a dissapointment! You're probably right about the Viper though.

Yes video games are good for all the things we'd love to do but can't do ... or shouldn't do!

Hi

Great writeup. I agree.

The NSX "does it for me" and I also get that warm fuzzy feeling just looking at that Unobtanium key.

I remember looking through the videos of the game really enjoying them.

One thing from the "Mechanical" part of the film. Is that really a NSX engine? Mine does not look like that.

Also 270BHP at 7100rpm? Hm well I do not want to kill the fun, but the engine picture had to be commented :)

Regards

OzzieJohn said:
In 1995, aged 13, I thought life could get no better when I was given the computer game The Need For Speed for Christmas. This game was the first of many released under The Need For Speed title, yet unlike later versions, the original focussed on realistic cars, environments and gameplay - as far as 1995 PC technology allowed.

I had both the PC version and the PlayStation version...but ended up playing the PlayStation more frequently due to the two player split screen. Aged 13? I guess I'm a bit older than you. :eek:

I would point you to the "virtual NSX" section of my website, but I forgot that I have not yet rebuilt my site since I moved. There I've listed my experiences with NSXs in games including screenshots and some video clips from Stunts, Need for Speed, Gran Turismo 1-4, Project Gotham Racing 2, Forza Motorsport...

Back