• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX (NA1) or Carrera (C2) or M3 (E46)?

Guys, I am trying to decide between cars for my next car. I am replacing an evo8 and am looking to get into something a little nicer. I have driven the carrera c2, e46 m3, but not the nsx yet. I am looking at the NA1 nsx as its in my price range. I love the exotic look at the nsx but at the same time these are older cars compared to a 99+ C2 Carrera or E46 m3. I am concerned about the NSX breaking down or having mechanical problems due to age. If anyone has driven, owned, or had experiences with these cars in comparison to the NSX that would be very helpful. I am leaning toward the carrera or the nsx, because the m3 is just way too common. I want to take the car maybe a 6 times a year to the track and have this car as a daily driver. Besides the snap ring issue, etc. is there any other common problems or "watch out" signs to look for in a used na1 nsx?

I have both the NSX and the M3.

I haven't driven the NA1 NSX ,but surmise it's just a step behind the NA2.

I don't find too much comparison in the handling. NSX hands down. M3 has some body role and is quicker to slide. NSX handling is flat and stable and it takes alot to bring out the back end on public roads. Haven't taken the M3 to the track yet ,but the NSX is a blast to drive at the track! You can drive it incredibly hard and then drive it home. No muss no fuss and it's happy to do both.

Acceleration. I'm pretty sure the M3 is faster in a straight line the NA2 so definetly faster than the NA1 ( not by much of course ,but you can feel the difference )

Reliabilty..... I just can't imagine a Honda/Acura giving you problems. I live in the rust belt and most Hondas will rust away and you can still go out and start it and then drive it. Fuel economy on both cars is really good as well.

Most people that spend this much money on a car do regular maintenence.

I'm sure there's a member here who might have some mileage/years on a E46 and can tell you more. Good luck with your decision either way you'll be really happy.

Oh side note. The NSX gets alot of attention make sure that's something you'll be comfortable with. M3 only seems to get attention from other BMW owners or sportscar people other than that it's a very low key vehicle

I have E46M3 and NA2 NSX. Concur about differences in the cars. Ny 2001 M3 has 64K miles. It was recalled for the main bearings and had an entire lower end rebuild. Runs poorly until engine warmed up despite the newest engine software. Check engine Light comes on regularly forcing the engine to a limp home mode. Thus far, failures have included fuel pump, Vanos system, radio, amp, 2 corner light assemblies melted. I may have something of a lemon but if you go to the BMW sites (roadfly), the owners haven't been as happy as you would expect. There is a reason that BMW is going to a V8 for the new M3, BMW reliability wasn't achieved with the current motor when tuned to the current HP output. IMO

Tim

i could have picked up a new E46 M3, but I opted for a used NSX. I'm very happy with my decision. I sold the M3 because it was too common and the darn check engine light. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE M3...but I wanted something a little less common on the street as well.

My advice is for you to test drive them before making your decision. Go to one of the local meet and find out.

jorligan said:
I have E46M3 and NA2 NSX. Concur about differences in the cars. Ny 2001 M3 has 64K miles. It was recalled for the main bearings and had an entire lower end rebuild. Runs poorly until engine warmed up despite the newest engine software. Check engine Light comes on regularly forcing the engine to a limp home mode. Thus far, failures have included fuel pump, Vanos system, radio, amp, 2 corner light assemblies melted. I may have something of a lemon but if you go to the BMW sites (roadfly), the owners haven't been as happy as you would expect. There is a reason that BMW is going to a V8 for the new M3, BMW reliability wasn't achieved with the current motor when tuned to the current HP output. IMO

Tim

Crap! I bought the 05 hoping the bugs would be worked out ,but that doesn't sound like bugs to me. I wonder if this is you see so many used ones for sale. Tim is right on about the engine in that car. It sounds like it's dying when you first start it. I can't wait ( sarcasm ) to hear it when it's actually cold out.

I currently drive a 92 NSX with 41k miles and an 02 M3 6spd with 33k miles. I think the M3 is much better as a daily driver if thats your concern or primary motive. If I had to pick one; it would be the NSX without even thing twice. The M3 is very fast but it feels heavy to me. It is comfortable and still has some "bling appeal" and the stock stereo is unreal if you get one with the HK sound system. It sounds silly but I also love the option on the key to open the windows and sunroof before even entering the car. Its great if you have to wear a suit/tie to work in the summer months. Mine has been trouble free except for the tire pressure light wont turn off. I also owned a E36 M3 and had nothing but troubles. My NSX has had its share of issues too. The Snap-Ring experience wasnt fun and clutch's and tire's add up. The NSX/M3;not in the same league. My NSX has never left me stranded, never not started and puts a smile on my face just looking at it-picture driving one on a daily basis. Hope that helps..

Reading all of these posts about M3 problems reminds me of back in 2002 when I had an M3. It was always in the shop...I MEAN ALWAYS!! I only owned the car about 3 months and in that time I had the following warranty repairs which all happened at SEPARATE times, thus requiring SEPARATE trips or flat beds in to the shop:

1.) 'Check Engine' light would go on for no real reason at all, stay on, they go off when I got to the shop. Eventually they replaced some computers.

2.) 'ABS' warning light came on seemingly when it felt like it. Bad ABS computer replaced.

3.) ABS pump failed and was replaced.

4.) Rear shock mounts separated and required replacement of both rear shock and mount assemblies.

5.) Passenger side window motor went bad and was replaced.

6.) Driver side window motor went bad and was replaced.

7.) Transmission would not go into 5th gear and was replaced.

8.) Main cooling fan FELL OFF and needed towed in for repairs.

9.) TCS computer failed and was replaced.

10.) ABS relay failed and was replaced.

I know something else happened, but I cannot remember right now. I called BMW and they essentially said 'tough luck' when I said my car was a lemon. Being as wise as they are for customer service, when I said, 'Look...I will trade this and buy a new M Roadster if you help me out with some other repairs (that were happening as the warranty expired),' they said, 'Nope...when your warranty is done it is done.'

I told the person from BMW NA that Honda never treated me like this, and never did they stick me with a lemon like BMW has. Furthermore, if BMW still stuck me with this repair (which was the cooling fan failure) I would hang up the phone, call a Honda dealer, and trade my M3 in right now for an S2000 just to prove a point. Needless to say, by the end of the day I had agreed to order a brand new 2002 Honda S2000 over the phone and it was in my driveway 5 days later with the M3 gone. My Honda has never so much as had a hiccup in 3 years and about 27,000 miles. When will those Germans learn??

Meeyatch1 said:
Reading all of these posts about M3 problems reminds me of back in 2002 when I had an M3. It was always in the shop...I MEAN ALWAYS!! I only owned the car about 3 months and in that time I had the following warranty repairs which all happened at SEPARATE times, thus requiring SEPARATE trips or flat beds in to the shop:

1.) 'Check Engine' light would go on for no real reason at all, stay on, they go off when I got to the shop. Eventually they replaced some computers.

2.) 'ABS' warning light came on seemingly when it felt like it. Bad ABS computer replaced.

3.) ABS pump failed and was replaced.

4.) Rear shock mounts separated and required replacement of both rear shock and mount assemblies.

5.) Passenger side window motor went bad and was replaced.

6.) Driver side window motor went bad and was replaced.

7.) Transmission would not go into 5th gear and was replaced.

8.) Main cooling fan FELL OFF and needed towed in for repairs.

9.) TCS computer failed and was replaced.

10.) ABS relay failed and was replaced.

I know something else happened, but I cannot remember right now. I called BMW and they essentially said 'tough luck' when I said my car was a lemon. Being as wise as they are for customer service, when I said, 'Look...I will trade this and buy a new M Roadster if you help me out with some other repairs (that were happening as the warranty expired),' they said, 'Nope...when your warranty is done it is done.'

I told the person from BMW NA that Honda never treated me like this, and never did they stick me with a lemon like BMW has. Furthermore, if BMW still stuck me with this repair (which was the cooling fan failure) I would hang up the phone, call a Honda dealer, and trade my M3 in right now for an S2000 just to prove a point. Needless to say, by the end of the day I had agreed to order a brand new 2002 Honda S2000 over the phone and it was in my driveway 5 days later with the M3 gone. My Honda has never so much as had a hiccup in 3 years and about 27,000 miles. When will those Germans learn??

Wow!

Hey guy's at what mileage did you start having problems

I have driven all 3. My thoughts.

NA1 = Big FAST Go cart , (even better with a little susp work)

M3 FAST- Sedan

C2 Between a Go cart and a Sedan but- FAST

"I am concerned about the NSX breaking down"

Buy a nice one and don't worry. Worry about the other 2 though...........

JDM NSX said:
I am leaning toward the carrera or the nsx, because the m3 is just way too common.
I was thinking about a 993 as well, I don't think there is any comparision to an NSX.

The C2 is a nice car, but I see those all the time around Boston. If I take a 10 mile trip I almost *always* see a 911. Not to mention that the Boxsters look like 911s now anyway..

When I'm driving my NSX, and I pass a 911(no matter what model).. I just smile and think: "Thank god I didn't get the porsche"

-Jeremy

JDM NSX said:
Guys, I am trying to decide between cars for my next car. I am replacing an evo8 and am looking to get into something a little nicer. I have driven the carrera c2, e46 m3, but not the nsx yet. I am looking at the NA1 nsx as its in my price range. I love the exotic look at the nsx but at the same time these are older cars compared to a 99+ C2 Carrera or E46 m3. I am concerned about the NSX breaking down or having mechanical problems due to age. If anyone has driven, owned, or had experiences with these cars in comparison to the NSX that would be very helpful. I am leaning toward the carrera or the nsx, because the m3 is just way too common. I want to take the car maybe a 6 times a year to the track and have this car as a daily driver. Besides the snap ring issue, etc. is there any other common problems or "watch out" signs to look for in a used na1 nsx?

Well, a watchout sign in some ways.. The clutches.. Well.. I blew mine after having the car 4k miles :)

Do *not* slip the clutch..

Oh.. back to the 911 vs NSX thing..

One of my closest friends has a red Ferrari F355, and one of his friends had a grey 996. They were out crusing, and parked the cars next to eachother.. The guy with the porsche said "man , it is like my car isn't even there"

Well.. the NSX isn't as sexy as the F355, but it is the same in my mind.. Put an NSX next to a 911, the 911 may as well be a civic; who cares if it is fast :tongue:
-Jeremy

I have 64K miles on mine now. I started having problems around 12K miles (New Vanos). Runs fine in the winter except for the stalling. Make sure you use snow tires as I went through new SO-3 in the back because of one snow storm driving back from northern MI last year, (wasn't supposed to snow). Without snow tires, it is essentially undrivable. (I have a mounted set for sale including the spacers with 500 miles). Gonna drive the Audi this winter since my wife will be driving the truck because of our baby.

Tim

Get NA1 Nsx and hang out with cool nsx owners in OC. The weekly OC nsx owner meet/cruise is fun as hell.

Frankly all 3 are great choices, nsx will be the most problem free out of these 3 cars.

My 92 nsx was my first used car purchase ever. Prior to NSX, I have owned 300zx tt, Lexus SC400, GS400, 02 E46 M3 all of which were purcahsed brand new. Surprisingly NSX was completely problem free, still look and feel like a brand new car.

Straightline performance wise, E46 M3 = NA1 nsx with exhaust/cantrell AIS or downforce AIS.

thanks for the info so far. I am just concerned with owning a car that was made in the early 90s... I guess quality is quality no matter the age. I have been leaning toward the nsx cuz it looks so damn hot. I like the m3 and porsche because its newer and more luxurious. I really need to test drive a nsx. As soon as my transmission is repaired I am gunna drive some used ones at the stealership.

I guess the m3 is out of the picture, it does remind me of several people complained of their m3s are lemons. My rx8 had a similar story, and I got rid of that asap due to its problems. The 996 is nice, but living in Orange County (most sports car per capita) I see the m3 and 996 every day. I think a test drive seals deals. Anyone maintainence costs with the nsx as far as replacing OLD parts? I am looking for something in the less than 70,000 miles na1 nsx as being the best bet. As being out of warranty and all, is everything safe to say its most likely not going to giving me problems, etc.?

Can't wait to check out the OC meet, cuz I saw pics, you guys cruising just down the street ;)

Take the time to visit Rennlist to find more on the early 996. There are a number of issues (rear main seal, oil leaks, and worse) that effect the eary 996 cars. If you do decide on a 996 then look at the 02's since they went to a 3.6 liter and higher hp. I would rather have a 996 as a daily over the nsx by if it's a second car the nsx would be my choice.

jorligan said:
I have 64K miles on mine now. I started having problems around 12K miles (New Vanos). Runs fine in the winter except for the stalling. Make sure you use snow tires as I went through new SO-3 in the back because of one snow storm driving back from northern MI last year, (wasn't supposed to snow). Without snow tires, it is essentially undrivable. (I have a mounted set for sale including the spacers with 500 miles). Gonna drive the Audi this winter since my wife will be driving the truck because of our baby.

Tim
It stalls...literally or is it that hiccup stuff it does when you start it?

Can I use all seasons instead of snow tires?

WingZ said:
It stalls...literally or is it that hiccup stuff it does when you start it?

I had the same problem with my '01 M3 CiC. It would run rough and stall if you didn't nurse the gas for the first couple of minutes to let it warm up. It was pretty bad in winter weather (died once pulling out of my driveway into traffic - scary) but got to be only mildly annoying in the summer heat.

Ryan

Sorry for highjacking the post.

WingZ, Make sure you use a purpose winter tire. I pull the all season tires off my Saab 93 and run Dunlop Winter Sport M2's and could not be more happy. I would think with rear wheel drive you will really notice the difference between all season and snows. The Winter Sport M2's (and other performance snows) do preserve some of the nice feel of your car's suspension but a more generic tire like the Blizzak would not.

Dave in Clarkston said:
Take the time to visit Rennlist to find more on the early 996. There are a number of issues (rear main seal, oil leaks, and worse) that effect the eary 996 cars. If you do decide on a 996 then look at the 02's since they went to a 3.6 liter and higher hp. I would rather have a 996 as a daily over the nsx by if it's a second car the nsx would be my choice.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I have two guys I hang w/, one has an M3 and the other a 996.

There's no comparison. The NSX wins in exoticness and reliability. As for straightline speed, the NA1 NSX is going to be slower.

Even my friend w/ the 911 never wants to go out in his car. He always prefers to ride in mine. There's just TONS more attention. Chicks do dig BMWs, sure, and Porsches. But, they dig the NSX more while not even knowing what the hell kind of car it is.

RyanITV said:
I had the same problem with my '01 M3 CiC. It would run rough and stall if you didn't nurse the gas for the first couple of minutes to let it warm up. It was pretty bad in winter weather (died once pulling out of my driveway into traffic - scary) but got to be only mildly annoying in the summer heat.

Ryan

my 98 M3 and 02 M3 both run extremly rough when first started but ironically they never stall... :confused:

It's the hiccups. Even with all season radials, the width of the tire and the rear wheel drive make it worthless. I couldn't even drive up my driveway with the SO3 and traction control on since it would essentially prevent any power to the wheels. Go with dedicated snow tires mounted on rims if you plan on doing any winter driving. I have Blizzak from Tirerack, used them one season with no problems including driving in snow deep enough that my front air dam became a plow. (Car has H&R springs) Tim

Funny thing is I emailed our post to several friends and one of my buddies from L.A told me not to worry. Then he called me back laughing hysterically about seeing a brand new M3 getting towed on the freeway ( not it wasn't for delivery ).

This is my second venture into german cars and I hope it turns out better than my last. :wink:

I have a 97 NSX and a 99 E36 M3. I know many guys have the e46 and are not as happy with them. I have had almost no issues with my e36, and also have a dinan supercharged version, that is running high boost, an aftercooler and some other mods. I'm getting 525hp at the flywheel, and can't imagine an e46 even handling that much power without major engine work.

The e46 m3 is deff more aggressive in terms of looks versus an e36. I've seen many e46 m3 owners switch to a G35 coupe then any other car, so maybe that says something.

If I had to pick one, it would be the NSX. I also live in the states that receive white stuff in the winter, so my second pick would be the infiniti g35x.

If I didn't care about awd, then I'd say my second pick would be a boxster S.

You dont' like the evo 8 :confused: Or is the interior and the type of people working at mitsu dealers :wink: Our local dealer was so bad that they had to close down.

Too many stories i've heard about 01-02 E46 M3. If you were to get a M3 i'd say get a 04-05 with the bugs taken out or better yet the competition package with quicker steering :biggrin: If your on a budget my recommendation is to stay away from the engine problem pre 02 M3's i think. That was advice given to me from owners from local auto x a couple of years ago if i remembered correctly.

I'd personally pick the NSX. Just make sure the car is well mainaned and things such as timing belt/ water pump and with all fluids changed in the car. Remember it's an Acura and service is still acura pricing and NSXCA offer 25% on parts on selected dealers :biggrin: A 911 on the other had is very expensive to maintain and dealer will charge an arm and leg.

You should also consider a boxter S since the new one is out and pricing will be terrific on the last gen.

Back