• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Owner in the making...

Thanks for that. Probably only a 'fair' buy, though I do believe the car is in nice condition. Should be fun. Can't wait to detail the car, think through the plan.

Congrats! :) FYI there are a few 16/17 OEM sets for sale in the marketplace right now. Really good prices too. Just search that forum for "wheels" and you'll find them. Remember, the 16/17 came in two colors one is gunmetal (94-96) and the other is Blades Silver (97-01), which is a silver painted wheel with polished bare aluminum face. I think the Blades looks best on a silver NSX.

Congrats on your purchase, appears you did well. Like you, I bought my '97 Formula Red Targa off eBay. Saw the original F/S thread on here with the eBay link after dinner on a Friday night, pondered the purchase until midnight, went to bed and then got up at 4AM and bought the damn thing. That was 3 years ago and I haven't regretted it one iota. As a sidebar, the wife got pissed off and left for 2 weeks when I flew to pick it up but now she thinks the NSX is the greatest thing since oral sex. Well, almost---

In terms of '94-01 wheels, I've found that there is really no such thing as an aftermarket replacement OEM wheel. What I did was was find a 17" rear wheel for sale on here that had been curbed / slightly bent and sent it to my wheel repair guy here in Nashville (Rod's Wheel Repair). It was Solaris Silver and he refinished it in Blades Sliver as a spare for me for $135:
IMG_0154.jpg

Not bad, eh? You can probably save a little coin by going that route, depending on how cheap you get the donor wheel for. I've got one that I'll make you a hell of a deal on (< $75) if you're interested. Know that all of the 7-spoke OEM wheels ('94-01) were made by Ashai and the '02-05 were supposedly made by BBS. Welcome to the club---

Congrats on your purchase, appears you did well. Like you, I bought my '97 Formula Red Targa off eBay. Saw the original F/S thread on here with the eBay link after dinner on a Friday night, pondered the purchase until midnight, went to bed and then got up at 4AM and bought the damn thing. That was 3 years ago and I haven't regretted it one iota.

(snip)
Not bad, eh? You can probably save a little coin by going that route, depending on how cheap you get the donor wheel for. I've got one that I'll make you a hell of a deal on (< $75) if you're interested. Know that all of the 7-spoke OEM wheels ('94-01) were made by Ashai and the '02-05 were supposedly made by BBS. Welcome to the club---

Wow, thanks for the congrats and the info. VERY cool story about you getting the 'itch' then scratching it quickly! The more I've settled into getting this car, the more excited I am.

Tell you what - and I can only offer this ONE TIME - I'll give you your FULL asking price for each of your 4 wheels! Sounds like a deal to me. :) Just go ahead and box 'em up!

Thanks again for the info, have spotted a few sets in the 'marketplace' and we'll see how that goes. LOVE how your Blade Silver turned out, just perfect. Coincidentally, I sent a wheel to those folks (highly recommended) but they could not repair it because it was magnesium. Oh well.

Last edited:
Okay. Got a really nice, really thick FedEx today CRAMMED with service records on the NSX. As represented, the owner(s) were maintenance freaks. ALL at the Acura dealer. So far so good.

The records from '02 forward are intense. Guy was in the waiting room most time, ("waiting" highlighted on many!) with oil changes, annual inspections, you name it.

Tire inspections, brake inspections, always in 'green' zone per their 'accepted' range. If ever not in those zones, it got replaced. However...

Interesting by its absence: he did the timing belt, water pump, gaskets, clutch slave and master, ABS service, a rather significant bill at $2,800ish with other things in late 07 (44k miles) but no sparkplugs.

Is there any chance those have NOT been done? (They aren't in the records anywhere). Just checking the wisdom or oversight here. Thoughts?

Excellent, maintenance records are very much sought after for these cars. I was the same way with mine. The bean counter in me even made a spreadsheet listing all the maintenance and mods with a running total.

Regarding the spark plugs, the service interval is 60K miles so they probably have NOT been done. The 60K service also usually includes a valve adjustment... those two items probably would cost between $500-$800 including gaskets and cam plugs.

From the wiki...replace spark plugs after 6 years or 60,000 miles
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Schedule_%28Maintenance%29

I probably wouldnt worry about the plugs till I actually hit 60K. IMO age doesn't really affect the plugs. As long as its running good I'd leave them alone for a while.

Last edited:
Excellent, maintenance records are very much sought after for these cars. I was the same way with mine. The bean counter in me even made a spreadsheet listing all the maintenance and mods with a running total.

Regarding the spark plugs, the service interval is 60K miles so they probably have NOT been done. The 60K service also usually includes a valve adjustment... those two items probably would cost between $500-$800 including gaskets and cam plugs.

I probably wouldnt worry about the plugs till I actually hit 60K. IMO age doesn't really affect the plugs. As long as its running good I'd leave them alone for a while.

Thanks BigD! Really appreciate the input. Guess I'll wait for the 60k service to get it all caught up. I made the mistake of reading some threads on the EPS and other electronic gremlins on the forum last night, made me a little squeamish, but I hope those are way in the minority.

Should be getting the car next week, probably selling the Viper GTS to make room.

Usually the only electronic items that you have to deal with is the Climate Control Unit (CCU) or the stereo amps. Prime member BrianK does an excellent job refurbishing them at a great price. Its pretty easy to remove the console and the door panels, so overall not so bad.

Good Luck on the sale of the Viper. Im sure you will miss the power, but the handling on the NSX makes up for it.

Usually the only electronic items that you have to deal with is the Climate Control Unit (CCU) or the stereo amps. Prime member BrianK does an excellent job refurbishing them at a great price. Its pretty easy to remove the console and the door panels, so overall not so bad.

Good Luck on the sale of the Viper. Im sure you will miss the power, but the handling on the NSX makes up for it.

Thanks again. Yep, read some wonderful things about BrianK, good to have a resource like that.

I have other cars that make okay power, so the Viper's 'rush factor' won't leave entirely. Although it is a beast of pavement-wrinkling proportions.

Thanks BigD! Really appreciate the input. Guess I'll wait for the 60k service to get it all caught up. I made the mistake of reading some threads on the EPS and other electronic gremlins on the forum last night, made me a little squeamish, but I hope those are way in the minority.

Should be getting the car next week, probably selling the Viper GTS to make room.

You can swap a manual rack from a wrecked NSX no problem. They are a couple hundred bucks, plus you get the sports car purity of manual steering. :D My 91 is manual steering and I have big 275 tires on the rears plus the NSX-R diff and parking lots are still not a problem. The steering effort issue is overstated, IMHO. So, don't worry about the EPS.

You can swap a manual rack from a wrecked NSX no problem. They are a couple hundred bucks, plus you get the sports car purity of manual steering. :D My 91 is manual steering and I have big 275 tires on the rears plus the NSX-R diff and parking lots are still not a problem. The steering effort issue is overstated, IMHO. So, don't worry about the EPS.

Mighty cool to know. THAT is a hugely beneficial 'Plan B' should I need it. Thanks.

I have a Pantera (talk about old school) with Campy 8" fronts/10" rears, fully manual rack of course. If I tried to parallel park it, I would have to hire bystanders. So the manual NSX would FEEL like power steering by comparison! Really appreciate the tip.

Email from the dealer today: car SHOULD be here Wednesday. Really looking forward to it and thanks again for all the input.

Have read the entertaining, educational, and equally obscure on here, learning alot as I go. A very fine forum here.

Car arrived today in a little misting rain, still looked great. First things of note:

1. Wheels (18s, 19s) fill out the wheelwells very nicely. I'm a huge fan of 'stock' but these look nice. May replace the rear tires only as fronts are fine.

NOTE: I can buy all 4 original wheels, though 'pretty scuffed' says dealer, for 200. Do it or wait for original wheels AND tires in classifieds?

2. Mirror switch is insane. When I click to 'left' or 'right' the mirror wants to go up all the way on either side. Did a search, couldn't find this. Any thoughts?

3. Very faint 'hot' smell from engine compartment, like light clutch? Felt wheel centers, not hot, no ebrake on, tires don't seem to be rubbing. Clutch is almost at bottom of travel though.

4. Car handles ridiculously well. Point and go. Nearly negates power deficit.

5. Wasn't in the car 3 minutes and a lady I know drove by and said, "GORGEOUS!" An hour later, another guy friend pokes his head in to say , "Love the NSX". Its a fabulous car. Can't wait for a weekend to detail it!

Thanks for all the input thus far!

Last edited:
NOTE: I can buy all 4 original wheels, though 'pretty scuffed' says dealer, for 200. Do it or wait for original wheels AND tires in classifieds?

2. Mirror switch is insane. When I click to 'left' or 'right' the mirror wants to go up all the way on either side. Did a search, couldn't find this. Any thoughts?

3. Very faint 'hot' smell from engine compartment, like light clutch? Felt wheel centers, not hot, no ebrake on, tires don't seem to be rubbing. Clutch is almost at bottom of travel though.

1. Check em out. You might be able to refinish them for cheaper than buying someone else's set and they'd be original to the car. However, if you're paying a chunk of money for an NSX, I would expect the dealer to throw in the wheels for free instead of wanting $200.

2. No idea, and if you can't find it in a search then it's probably not very common. Switch may have gone bad like you suggested.

3. It's weird, but the NSX has a very particular "smell" to it from the cabin to the engine compartment, and that's what I would venture to call it. I don't think there's anything out of the ordinary with what you described, but continue to observe.

Regarding the wheels, there are plenty of 91-93 fat five wheels available. I wouldn't pay $200 for a set that needs refinishing.

I only found a couple threads regarding the mirror switch. Those switches do tend to fail.

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6182

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137537

I am thinking that the smell you are detecting may be emanating from the Cats.

Also the clutch on the NSX usually engages when the pedal is almost all the way out. Not sure what you meant by bottom of travel. I was thinking it should be just the opposite and engage toward the top of the travel.

Regarding the wheels, there are plenty of 91-93 fat five wheels available. I wouldn't pay $200 for a set that needs refinishing.

I only found a couple threads regarding the mirror switch. Those switches do tend to fail.

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6182

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137537

I am thinking that the smell you are detecting may be emanating from the Cats.

Also the clutch on the NSX usually engages when the pedal is almost all the way out. Not sure what you meant by bottom of travel. I was thinking it should be just the opposite and engage toward the top of the travel.

Thanks very, very much. You are officially a WAY better 'searcher' than I am. (For future reference: what did you enter? 'Mirror+switch"?)

Read those, identical symptoms. Looks like I'm getting a new switch.

Far as the wheels, my bad, these are the '7 spoke' versions for my 1997, 16s and 17s.

My clutch 'issue' may be partly me. I'm used to driving cars with flywheels that weigh less than 4 skillets, so I'm 'feathering' when I don't need to. (Also potentially the smell! But I'm not FULLY admitting fault here yet.)

Today, I just stepped off the clutch with little to no revs and feathering, seemed fine. Takes getting used to.

IF I do get a clutch (and at this mileage can't be long) I may go ONE step lighter in the flywheel department, unless told that's unwise.

Last edited:
If you are detailing I cannot recommend finish first products enough. The finish prep will take every last swirl mark out of the paint period!

Dawn wash.
Clay Bar
Finish Prep
Final Finish polish.

Stand back and admire!

http://www.finishfirstpolish.com/

Car arrived today in a little misting rain, still looked great. First things of note:

1. Wheels (18s, 19s) fill out the wheelwells very nicely. I'm a huge fan of 'stock' but these look nice. May replace the rear tires only as fronts are fine.

4. Car handles ridiculously well. Point and go. Nearly negates power deficit.

5. Wasn't in the car 3 minutes and a lady I know drove by and said, "GORGEOUS!" An hour later, another guy friend pokes his head in to say , "Love the NSX". Its a fabulous car. Can't wait for a weekend to detail it!

Thanks for all the input thus far!

Thanks very, very much. You are officially a WAY better 'searcher' than I am. (For future reference: what did you enter? 'Mirror+switch"?)

Read those, identical symptoms. Looks like I'm getting a new switch.

Far as the wheels, my bad, these are the '7 spoke' versions for my 1997, 16s and 17s.

My clutch 'issue' may be partly me. I'm used to driving cars with flywheels that weigh less than 4 skillets, so I'm 'feathering' when I don't need to. (Also potentially the smell! But I'm not FULLY admitting fault here yet.)

Today, I just stepped off the clutch with little to no revs and feathering, seemed fine. Takes getting used to.

IF I do get a clutch (and at this mileage can't be long) I may go ONE step lighter in the flywheel department, unless told that's unwise.

Thanks :smile: I just searched "mirror switch" without any wildcards.

Well then, since those are the 2nd generation wheels, it may be worth picking them up if they aren't in too bad of shape.

For the clutch, you don't want to "feather it" at all. To minimize the wear you want to get the rpms up enough so you can let it out in one motion quickly... but slow enough so you dont stall it.

Enjoy yourself!

If you are detailing I cannot recommend finish first products enough. The finish prep will take every last swirl mark out of the paint period!

Dawn wash.
Clay Bar
Finish Prep
Final Finish polish.

Stand back and admire!

http://www.finishfirstpolish.com/

Are you out of your mind? No way! I'm going to use all the enlightening steps contained here
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153061

Especially the part about using ArmorAll everywhere. I was equally impressed with the 'remove floor mats' step. Clearly a pro.

Would be happy to try the FinishFirst products. One minor quibble/question: are they water based? I've fallen out of love with the oil/solvent/synthetic ones due to my laziness in washing buffer pads.

Thanks :smile: I just searched "mirror switch" without any wildcards.

Well then, since those are the 2nd generation wheels, it may be worth picking them up if they aren't in too bad of shape.

For the clutch, you don't want to "feather it" at all. To minimize the wear you want to get the rpms up enough so you can let it out in one motion quickly... but slow enough so you dont stall it.

Enjoy yourself!

Cool. Thanks again BidD. Have an email to the dealer on the wheels. He was the 'middle' wholesaler, NOT the guy who sold me the car, so even though chintzy on the 200, he doesn't really owe me anything either.

Thanks to ALL!

Last edited:
Dennis, that's a lot of research and posting for a guy who no longer owns an NSX. You wouldn't be getting the bug again would you?

Mario

I would like to own another NSX , but unfortunately for me right now is not a good time. I need to get my 3 girls through college first before I go off the deep end and get into another one.

I do still have a lot of interest in these cars and enjoy helping out new owners. Thats what makes this site so great.

OFF TOPIC

I read about the beach party, sorry I couldn't make it. I have been on manditory overtime and worked all weekend. :frown: Looked like you all had a great time!

Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure that I speak for many others in stating that your sense of humor will be very welcome here.

Welcome Aboard!

my switches did the same thing you would push up and it would go down. LOL you need a new switch, or press the mirror by hand intill you fix it.

where the pics? damn it.

you had to take pics of the car in the carrier truck didnt you?

congrats.

Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure that I speak for many others in stating that your sense of humor will be very welcome here.

Welcome Aboard!

Thanks! My wife refers to my humor along the lines of "...never quite got over being 9 years old did you?" Ladies just don't know quality humor when they see it.

my switches did the same thing you would push up and it would go down. LOL you need a new switch, or press the mirror by hand intill you fix it.

where the pics? damn it.

you had to take pics of the car in the carrier truck didnt you?

congrats.

Oops, did NOT take them on the carrier. Will get pics once clean, promise. It has rained here just enough to make it look worse than I'd normally allow, though it hasn't slowed me from driving it one bit!

I'm doing the manual mirror adjust now, just gotta remember to NOT try to adjust by button til I get it done.

So do I need the 'left/right' mirror switch or the little joypad thing?

BTW, got another thumbs up in traffic today, all smiles. I'm thinking most people have either no idea what it is, or whatever it is CAN'T be 15 years old.

FINALLY cleaned the car up a little bit and got some photos. Before we dive in to those, couple notes on "stuff I've done" in the past couple weeks or so.

1. Got my odd power mirror issue resolved. Switch was the cure, $160 installed, more than a lot of you DIY'ers would put up with, but I just didn't have the time. It works, I'm happy.

2. Tech noted "air filter was dirty". I have no idea why they didn't quote me a repair, but I pulled it later and it looked like the one on my Shop Vac after a hearth cleaning. VERY soiled. I mean, like 'not believable'. Ordered a Beck Arnley for $34. In the meantime, did a 'Porsche air box' upgrade...

3. Drilled 140 holes in the bottom/sides of the air box, neatly I might add. Yes, I know about the 'hot air' debate, some being ironically of the same name. Yet it changed the intake note enough to notice. I now stomp the car in 3rd so often, I'm practicing what I'm going to tell the nice policeman.

4. Cleaned, fully detailed my trunk. See other thread, "A funk in my trunk". Water intrusion and lamp condensation gone... we hope!

5. Washed, clayed, polished, waxed the exterior. Man these cars were painted well. Paint looks nice, had some scratches in most every panel, and I'm not a 'great' detailer, but I enjoy it. Used Meguir's Ultimate, Griot's Polish 3, Best of Show wax. Didnt' use glaze on this car. Paint still quite nice.

6. Bought some OEM 17, 16 wheels. Ordered new tires. Those should be in this week. So the Works Razax 18, 19s will be for sale.

And here's the car as it sits now....

Attachments

• Front pass, smaller.jpg
    Front pass, smaller.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Acura NSX rear, smaller.jpg
    Acura NSX rear, smaller.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 92
  • NSX side intake close up.jpg
    NSX side intake close up.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Nice pics, thanks for circling back on that.
Enjoy- though I'm not sure how you will find the time with the rest of the harem! :mad: :biggrin:

Back