• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX owner now...what it will take for me to buy the 'New NSX'.

Okay, so I was having a serious discussion with a buddy of mine about what it will take for me to buy the new NSX. Keep in mind, I am an NSX fan who has been driving NSXs for almost 20 years. So, yeah...I am a bit of a fan and an NSX freak.

Bottom line...all of the crap discussion about '....you could buy a (fill in the hyper exotic name here) for that much money..' set aside, what really matters is how the people who can afford to buy it will decide to spend their money. Not to be a jerk. But if you bought your NSX for $20k used with 150k miles, you are probably not in the target market for the next NSX. Sorry. But it is true.

Anyway, I have been tossing about getting something else lately because when I bought my E63 AMG a few years ago I got spoiled by the power. Even being a multi-ton sedan, the car will wipe the floor with my NSX in terms of power. I mean, the damn thing has 507 hp and can do 0 - 60 mph in 4.5 seconds and run almost 190 mph...STOCK! So I have been thinking of getting a Porsche 911 Twin Turbo, GT2 or GT3, Audi R8, or Mercedes CLK63 Black Series, to satisfy my need for a car that is so powerful that it could possibly kill you....yet can handle as well.

Then I saw the new NSX when I was a guest of Acura for the unveiling of the new NSX at the NAIS show in Detroit this year. I was floored. The car looked so good that I almost had a heart attack. I literally sat in the chair in the front row for 7 hours so that I would not miss the moment it was unveiled because the shape (even under the cover) was so enticing that I could not look away or walk away. It was that good even before I saw it.

I saw the car and my life changed....again! Damn the NSX! So I initially thought, 'Okay...this looks amazing, but will Acura manage to come out with it for purchase soon enough for it to be relevant,' and I was stuck. So, being me, I started planning for the possibility and thinking what it would take for me to hold off on buying any of the previously mentioned cars in the next 3 years in order to make sure I could stroke a check for the next NSX...and here is what I came up with.

1.) I want a car that performs like the new McLaren, but has a sticker price under $100k. I do not care if the sticker is $99,999. If it can perform like the new McLaren MP4-12C....I will buy it. Why? Because the MP4-12C was designed with the same insane precision and attention to detail that I loved in the original NSX and the original McLaren F1.

2.) The car must have the essential, '....oh shit! What is that...,' design characteristics that makes cars costing more than the average Midwestern home worthwhile.

3.) I want technological innovation that makes me appreciate that the engineers that designed the car were total car nerds that wanted to make something so badass that the world had to stop and take notice.

4.) I want to be inspired. Put simply, I want to get behind the wheel every day and say to myself, 'Oh yes. This was money well spent,' and keep the car for 10 or 20 years and keep saying that. Why? Because I do that NOW with my current NSX...so the new one better damn well be capable of that, or I would just keep driving the one I have.

Anyway....for those of you that are SERIOUSLY in a position to consider the new NSX....what do you think? What will make YOU write that check?

I think the new NSX is going to be around $135K. The only car that I would spend $ on in the price range (under $100k) would be a GTR. I know its big, may not be sexy, but it out performs most of the cars listed.

I hope Honda figures out a way to out perform a GTR??

1.)..., but has a sticker price under $100k.
Honestly, I think that #1 is going to be the undoing of your decision. If you aren't prepared to drop over $100k (I am not either), I don't think you are the target market for new NSX. The Audi R8 was not under $100k and it sold very well, so I don't see why Acura has any reason to make $100k a reasonable target for their price.

Even IF (and it is a super big IF) it was below $100k, the demand would shoot the real price you would need to pay a dealership up over $100k.

For the people out there who want to drop under $100k on a supercar you simply need to go hit the older technology.

Since #1 stopped me as well, I haven't really considered any other variables.

Honestly, I think that #1 is going to be the undoing of your decision. If you aren't prepared to drop over $100k (I am not either), I don't think you are the target market for new NSX. The Audi R8 was not under $100k and it sold very well, so I don't see why Acura has any reason to make $100k a reasonable target for their price.

Even IF (and it is a super big IF) it was below $100k, the demand would shoot the real price you would need to pay a dealership up over $100k.

For the people out there who want to drop under $100k on a supercar you simply need to go hit the older technology.

Since #1 stopped me as well, I haven't really considered any other variables.

I have reason to believe (from very well positioned individuals) that this car is intended to be a car in the range of $100k, or just a hair below. If it happens to creep up to $135k, then you are completely right...I would not longer be the target market. At that point Acura would have shot themselves in the foot, because the whole, '...it is just a Honda...,' stigma would have caught up with them. For $135k I would not get any Honda product.

I think the new NSX is going to be around $135K. The only car that I would spend $ on in the price range (under $100k) would be a GTR. I know its big, may not be sexy, but it out performs most of the cars listed.

I hope Honda figures out a way to out perform a GTR??

all motor ? lol maybe if honda turbo charged the new nsx than yeah if n/a dont think it can

all motor ? lol maybe if honda turbo charged the new nsx than yeah if n/a dont think it can

I wish.... the last generation went for over $80k. The new NSX will have no problem pricing it over $130k. Unless, it is underpowered and the performance numbers are sub par.

The technological innovation is the hybrid-boost system; it's going to be a large component of the performance for this car, and will be one of the first large-scale implementations of a performance hybrid-boost system. Honda is playing with the technology on their SUV's, and will be perfecting it for the new NSX.

Turbochargers and "all motor" are a thing of the past, instant response from hybrid boost systems, improved handling, etc. is a major component of the new NSX, and a showcase for Honda's green efforts. Essentially a 'green' supercar, and the halo-car effect all over again.

If the sticker on my NSX said $89K almost 20 years ago, so I am more than sure that the new NSX will be north of $130K. I too would be in line to stroke a check, the local dealership already has a wait list and some of the names that I know that are on the list could easily do so. Let's don't forget the simple supply and demand rule which means there will be a 'low availablity" sticker on it as well. Heck, if the ZR1 was commanding $20K over sticker at my local dealership and they were cranking out 1,000's of them in KY, I am sure they will tack on an extra $20-$30 for the NSX.

I had my name on the list for the Lexus LFA before the price was announced and when I saw the price that debuted I kindly went down and picked up my deposit check, as did several others. Hopefully Honda does not smoke from the same bush that Toyota did!

The most likely set up for me will be that I will let the hype begin and settle and in a few years try to pick up a previously loved version like I did before. Unless they get crazy and limited like the quest that I am on for a Z8 or Ford GT now and the prices keep going up! Good luck on your hunt and decision! I hope you can hold out until then, but once you have been behind the wheel of such power as the AMG I would find it hard to hold out, maybe one of those that you mentioned can be a place holder until 2015!

Funny, I was thinking about the same subject today. I realize NSXs haven't been the fastest cars on the road for some time now (heck a new Mustang has more HP and is faster off the line), but speed isn't the most important thing to me since I don't track my cars or drag race on the street, and I certainly never drive anywhere close to their capable top speeds.

I view 0-60, 1/4 mile times, and top speeds as bragging rights, and not really important for people who buy these cars for normal street use. Nor are they necessarily an indication of how fun a car really is. The Nissan GTR is one of the fastest cars available today, but reviewers say it's not really that fun to drive compared to other supercars, and it requires a lot of work to make it go fast. And I still have my doubts about whether a dual clutch transmission can be as much fun as the superb shift action in the original NSX's excellent manual gearbox.

I think what may finally compel me to buy the new NSX is an updated interior. I love the original NSX, but in terms of cabin technology it is obsolete. I know you can add aftermarket nav systems and gizmos, but there's nothing like a factory built modern interior with LED mood lighting, LCD instrument clusters, integrated touch controls with all-around view cameras, and other neat little touches where third party systems simply can't compete. Hard core racers may not care about this stuff, but I think buyers of modern exotics today care more about luxury, technology, and the "wow"/exclusivity factor than ever before. As I get older and become more affluent, I can certainly relate to this. I think that's what Acura is targeting. Look at their lineup today, none of their cars can be described as exciting but they are certainly luxurious. I think the new NSX will bridge the gap between those who care about style/exclusivity and luxury, and it might just be enough to win an older, wealthier version of me over.

Last edited:
Honestly, Mitch what it would take for me is a manual transmission. I have the flappy paddles on my RDX and I hate them. Driving a performance car is about the experience to me and a big part of that experience is the sense of control and connection to the machine you get through a clutch and gearshift. The NSX, with its superb transmission (whether 5 or 6 speed) and easy clutch, delivers a rewarding driving experience. The new car at this point appears to be a flappy paddle car, which I understand is faster on the track and more technologically cool, but I think it misses something in terms of soul. In fact, my major concern about the new NSX is all of the tachnological "nannies" it will likely incoporate, i.e., VSA, ABS, and SH-AWD.

The experience that informs me the most on this issue is when I had a chance to run a SL55 AMG for a couple of hours on some mountain roads. My friend knew I had a NSX and was excited to show off his supercharged V8 Merc. It was much faster then my Honda and straight line acceleration was akin to a space shuttle launch. But when I started to really drive it, I was deeply disturbed. I would give steering input, or throttle, and the car would do something else. Or, in the middle of a turn, the car would decide it didn't like the slip angle and just take over. The experience was unnerving to say the least. Finally, I pulled over and asked my friend how to turn off all of the computers. He didn't know. I eased it home and all I could say to my friend was "this is a very nice car." I was so happy to get back into my NSX.

It isn't just the Merc. Every new car I drive feels the same way- as if there is a little person under the hood who jerks the wheel or hits the brakes, or slams the gas, etc. no matter what the driver does. So, I have a deep concern the new NSX will share this characteristic. Honda keeps telling us the "man-machine" concept is the idea behind the new NSX, but I wonder... I was hoping the manual gearbox on the CR-Z hybrid would be the testbed for NSX, but it looks like Honda is following the flappy paddle crowd...

In other words.... The thing needs to be fun to drive. Who cares about HP and lap times and beating the boring GTR if the thing is no fun??? Being green is great... I am the biggest tree hugger on this forum but a green car should be your daily not your 3000 mile a year weekend sports car. Unless Honda has figured out how to make an electrical motor fun, this might be a dumb idea. If its 135k I am a lot happier than if it's 98k frankly, as you better believe a 98k nsx will devalue current newer models.

Last edited:
I recall when the first, original NSX came to Cincinnati, available in most any colour as long as it was red, with a black top, the Acura dealer there had it under a cover.
I drove up in a three month old, white, Lotus Esprit Turbo and they wouldn't let me see it and it was auctioned because of the lack of availablity. It went well over window price.
This "new" NSX will probably go the same way and there are many folks who won't mind paying a premium for it.

Cheers
nigel

It will most probably be over 100k, probably over 135k. The R8 will no longer (after 2012) Be available with 3 pedals, you can't buy a Ferrari with 3 pedals any longer, the GTR isn't under 100k, and also only comes with 2 pedals. Yes, I want my "toys" to have 3 pedals, but the market isn't me, it's "flappies":eek:

For $135k I would not get any Honda product.
Any car over around 60k falls into what i consider "stupid money". Or i should say "money that will be mostly lost". Of course it's not actually stupid if it makes you smile. I sure don't agree with the above. If i had stupid money, i sure wouldn't hesitate to buy a 135k Honda if it floated my boat. But i suspect a 458 would be calling my name instead. They know the man-machine connection and they may be the only one who does.

As great as the NSX is, Honda makes a lot of stupid design decisions so the chance of the new X being a purist machine is remote. I second the nanny thing, and nannies don't go away, they grow. I remember Tanner Foust driving the 458 and warming up to the paddles. After riding bikes for most of my life, i really like sequential gearboxes. It's just more intuative, but herky jerky would suck on the street.

Going to drive the new RDX soon. Looks like they did get this one right although i'm looking at the "old" one.

I don't think a lot of current nsx owners are the target for this car. I would bet less than 10% of current owners can afford $135k for a new NSX. I know I can't.

. The Nissan GTR is one of the fastest cars available today, but reviewers say it's not really that fun to drive compared to other supercars, and it requires a lot of work to make it go fast. And I still have my doubts about whether a dual clutch transmission can be as much fun as the superb shift action in the original NSX.

I have no idea you are reading the gtr is a lot of work to go fast. The gtr is supposed to be the easiest car to drive fast that there is. Read the latest motor trend with the gtr vs 911 turbo s.

As with most new special-interest cars, part of the question will be how quickly you want it. When the NSX was introduced in late summer 1990, if you wanted it the first month, you had to pay $25-50K over sticker price. If you were willing to wait 3-4 months, you could get one for $10K over sticker. If you were willing to wait a few months longer than that, you could get one for close to sticker. That is likely to be equally true for the new NSX. So even if the sticker is $99K, you may still have to wait a while after it hits the market before you can actually buy one for that price.

Last edited:
All I know is that the next Lotus Esprit will be close to $200,000 and I feel the next NSX will be up there too.

I wont take the GTR and Audi R8 v8 into consideration, that's not what Acura is competing against, at least that's how I feel about it. The R8 is a shared platform chassis with Lamborghini and that kept is msrp a little low, plus the engine was from another Audi source.

The GTR doesn't grab the exotic car buyer, its got a following, but it isn't a loved car and I think the looks/design are to be blamed on that one.

I hate to say it, but I just don't see the next NSX below the Audi R8 V10, more likely they will compete in the msrp department.

Yeah, I see a MINIMUM of $150k for the NSX. And that's too bad since my wife said she likes it. The Infiniti would probably be closer to $100k.

Dave

I wouldn't buy one. Nothing about the new car says NSX. Im disappointed they even used the name. Should have left it as is and called the new car something different. If Im spending that kind of money it sure as hell wont be an Acura. There are a lot of other cars that I would much rather have in that price bracket. That being said I have, and never will own a new car. I buy all my stuff used and save/make money of other peoples compulsive decisions.

Having owned two 05s, I cant say I am completely interested in the new one. It looks nice, but it has a "current" look to it. doesn't say timeless to me.

maybe after its revision or final product i will change my mind but as of now i am sticking with my current 05

For $135k I would not get any Honda product.

You just went on in the first post with a bunch of fairly unreasonable requests like it be under 100K and it perform like a $230,000 Mclaren, that it be inspiring and look good for the next 20 years.... Then you say "I would not get any Honda product for $135K"....

:confused: :confused: :confused:

So even if Honda does make a car that competes with the MP412C at ONE HALF the price... Which is a unreasonable.... And even if it inspiring and looks modern for another 20 years... Which these days with the way technology moves and things change is next to impossible...Even if it meets all your criteria and is this spectacular car... No way would you buy it for $135K because it is a "Honda product"?

Last edited:
I have no idea you are reading the gtr is a lot of work to go fast. The gtr is supposed to be the easiest car to drive fast that there is. Read the latest motor trend with the gtr vs 911 turbo s.

I can't remember where I read that either. I do recall some automotive reviewer comparing the GTR against the F458 (among other cars) and saying that although they're both fast, the F458 was actually fun to drive. Anyway, I'm not the slightest bit interested in the GTR, and most other exotics are out of my price range (in upfront cost and/or maintenance), so if I were to upgrade someday it will probably be to another NSX or, as I previously mentioned, an R8.

BTW, you're not the only one who thinks current NSX owners aren't the target for the new version.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/listarticle.aspx?cp-documentid=1237014

From the looks of it, the new NSX isn't a logical evolution of the previous diamond in the rough. It will rely on technology for its appeal, with all-wheel drive, a hybrid drivetrain and a paddle transmission, while the original was a purist's vehicle, a simple, well-considered sports car.

Even so, we have to think that when the new NSX does drop, it will gain a following. It just won't be the same bunch who loved the previous car.

Last edited:
Back