• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX owners gets 20 month jail time

I'm old enough to remember when news articles weren't reported like they were being read on Entertainment Tonight. This article is full of speculation. Please, just give me facts, and let me make sense of them. Leave the opinions for the editorials.

Thank you, I agree, +1, Amen... News today is simply entertainment. It differ dramatically from journalism. I want the facts, not opinion. I'll form my own opinions, thank you. There, I feel better now!

Here is a question. Did the kid get in the car willingly? If so, he is at fault just as much as the driver because he made the choice to be in that vehicle. And as stated, we do not know if he egged the driver to try to pass. There are too many unknowns in this story. But, if people would take responsibility for theirs actions and stop blaming others for the $#!+ that happens to them/us this world would start to be a better place.

Just my 2 sense. (play on words, not a typo)[/QUOTE
+1 Couldn't say it better!

We are not getting the whole picture from this news article - it must be missing some key testimony. I live in Washington state and have been on that section of highway several times. It is like driving on an interstate with 2 lanes each direction and a median. An NSX could easily drive between 79 and 88 miles per hour on that highway, even the curves in that area of the wreck, without a problem - a yawner.

And the comparison of this to a Corvette crashing at 140MPH - well, the severity of a 140MPH crash is completely different than a crash at 88MPH. Anyone ever see the video taken from the air of the Testarossa wreck at the first Silver State Classic? It looked like a plane had crashed across the desert. http://www.ws6.com/povmag.htm After that tragedy they instituted the high speed safety requirements.

Proper safety equipment makes all the difference in a high speed car crash. http://www.streetfire.net/video/silver-state-classic-350z-crash-at-over-200mph_57095.htm

Is this the black nsx that we saw pictures posted of last year but never really knew what happened? I think one person involved was in the hospital and a local news guy even joined prime trying to dig up some dirt.

Obviously I feel sorry for the one who died and sure, the driver screwed up. He deserves to be punished.

But 80 in an NSX shouldn't be fatal. Was the dude wearing his seatbelt?

:confused:

I've dealt with fatal accidents at 15 mph in a parking lot. One guy was not wearing his seat belt and hit his head just right on the A pillar. It doesn't take much.

I'm curious if he was wearing his seatbelt. If he was not then he deserves some of the credit for his decision not to wear it. The fact that the article makes no mention of seatbelt use and that the article is skewed in favor of the prosecution leads me to surmise that the passenger wasn't wearing his seatbelt but the driver was. When our predominantly liberal media skews stories in this way I generally assume its because they want you to draw a certain conclusion rather than state facts and let us decide for ourselves.

I had a sister that was killed in an accident because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt, the driver and front passenger walked away from the accident, they were both belted in.

Reckless driving is not a problem of a car, it could have been any car/model out there. It's the problem of the character of the driver, regardless what car he was driving. That's why I don't see any reason for an assoziation to the NSX.

This story is missing so many facts it is impossible for anybody to make a fair assessment of where the responsibility should be given. One fact is that the driver broke the speed limit and we all know if we make a mistake while breaking the law with VERY few exceptions we will get pinned HARD for it whether we are in a exotic or a sedan.

Lesson for people getting in friends new car; wear seat belt and tell them not to show off. If you still die then that just the risk of living.

Lesson for drivers; Dont make a mistake when breaking laws and dont cry when you get nailed for it.

That's a bold assertion. What can you offer to support it?

Because speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden decelleration caused by an impact that kills. I've driven my car over 80mph many times and I've never gotten hurt. However, I've also never collided with another object at 80mph that caused injury to myself or passenger while in my car.

It's obvious that there was a death in this crash, and unless there was another cause of the crash it ultimately is the drivers responsibility.

Because speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden decelleration caused by an impact that kills. I've driven my car over 80mph many times and I've never gotten hurt. However, I've also never collided with another object at 80mph that caused injury to myself or passenger while in my car.

It's obvious that there was a death in this crash, and unless there was another cause of the crash it ultimately is the drivers responsibility.

DocL, I couldn't agree with you more. I didn't read Mirrorshades' post with enough care.

I guess I've been reading too many alarming posts (not necessarily on this forum) where drivers are under the belief their cars will magically protect them in a sudden, high speed deceleration...

Sounds like an overzealous prosecutor, unsympathetic defendant, sympathetic victim. It's hard to tell without knowing more facts, but absent aggravating circumstances, 20 months, and vehicular manslaughter seems excessive.

What we don't know is if the defendant had a prior record or history of reckless driving. For 20 mos prison, sure hope so.

The article is obviously skewed. "the blue-eyed McGowan whose laugh still rings in the ears of those who loved him"

I also find the statement about him being sober, meaning he deserved more punishment, completely shortsighted.

80 miles/hr and he was "not seriously injured"?... I guess the safety restraint system in the nsx is terrific! Interesting...

The nail that nailed the coffin (no pun intended) was the nsx, not the speed.

Yeah that doesn't really seem that fast.

I think all this talk that he wasn't going that fast, etc is pointless. Vehicular homicide has nothing to do with how fast you are going, what kind of car you are in, etc...it has to do with another person losing their life because of your driving. Bottom line is this guy killed someone with his car...a direct result of whatever actions he took to cause such. It is just as easy to do something stupid and kill someone at 10 MPH (run over kid in parking lot).

I think harsh penalties for vehicular hommicide, vehicular assault, and so-called "accidents" would go a long ways toward deterring unsafe driving. Much more so than limiting speeds, seat belt laws, and other nanny-state things.

Had he been playing with a gun and shot this fellow he might be facing an even stiffer penalty. While a vehicle has a different primary purpose it is still a deadly weapon and should be regarded as such.

Here is a question. Did the kid get in the car willingly? If so, he is at fault just as much as the driver because he made the choice to be in that vehicle.

This is absolute crazy talk. When you get into someone's vehicle on a public street you have an expectation of safety...and they have a duty in that regards.

If this happened on a race track I would agree with you more. Actually, before riding shotgun with Doug H on one of his Virginia City Hill Climb runs in the flamemobile I wrote a letter to friends/family "just in case"...because I understood the elevated risks. I've never done the same when I ride in friends/family/co-worker's vehicles on the street.

Last edited:
I'm just saying that I've seen people survive much faster accidents and seeing some of the wrecked NSXs on here over the years, I've wondered how they survived.

Sounds like the passenger side met a tree. Those (like some street poles, i.e. the one that bisected an NSX that was street racing or that infamous Enzo wreck) don't budge and are relatively small. Hitting such is nothing like hitting a wide/flat cement wall or another car with crumple zones. Even low speeds and trees don't mix...you get crushed.

To say all of this happened because the driver went 88 miles an hour is a bit crazy...everyone here has gone over 88 miles and had a spirited joy ride on public roads. It was just a driving mistake, and accident, unintentional. Its politically correct to say that no NSX driver speeds, but its not true. I cant say i blame the driver, hes doing what we all do, we have all been in cars during a joy ride.

Last edited:
obviously a terrible event no matter how you slice it but I cruise @ 80 everywhere and fall asleep doing so...

I actually remember driving back from "eibach's annual honda event" 2 years ago @ 12am with no sleep fighting to stay awake going 80mph through 5 then the 152 and finally to 101 when we got to the 101 I asked a friend riding co-pilot in another car in my caravan to take over because I just couldn't fight it.
So we switched (this is one of the only people other than me trusted with my car) I started to pass out. About 30 minutes into driving he was like man this car feels like it's going so slow below 80mph and it's true!! Maybe I am the worst person in the world but I just see a bad situation that could have happened at any speed nothing to do with the car or driver.

In the land, speed doesn't kill, what kills is bad drivers.

But then, from now on, any person on my car needs to sign a weaver ... so I am not responsible if a tire blows we crash and I survive while my passenger doesn't** .... I better have my weavers! lol

****** Yikes, touching wood big time here!

Unless they PROVED the driver was negligent, how does an accident = jail time? As stated, we aren't getting the whole picture here. I do have to say that I don't like when they bring in family members emotion into the courts. How does that apply to the law? There is no emotion in law, and shouldn't be in the final outcome. Either everyone who is driving a car and happens to have an accident taking a life gets 20mo, or no one does.

Have I ever come close to an accident in my car, passing on a two lane at night, barely missing deer, setting the cruise at 165, driving fast twisties on blind corners for fun or perhaps seeing if you can keep up to the guy next to you? Um, yeah. Was skill involved in NOT dying? Absolutely. We all aren't created equal, and that moment of 'oh crap...' is handled differently for all of us.

Final word? Sorry a harsh lesson was learned by driver and passenger alike.

Back