• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX police chase- youtube

That happened near me. Apparently the car was stolen in Missouri and the guy was driving fast when he 1st got pulled over. He decided to make a run for it. The rest u can see.

Did they have to shoot the rear hatch? The bullet could have killed him and then he would have taken out a bunch of other people on the road at 120+ mph...

Other states tend to be really gung ho when it comes to stopping people. Sometimes it's more dangerous to forcefully stop them. Luckily, it ended ok.

Once they do get him stopped, I think it's fine to beat the living shit out of him though. No reason to be nice to an asshole like that. After all, he wasn't an NSX owner...just a 2-bit thief.

I say kick his ass and get the NSX back to its owner!

Other states tend to be really gung ho when it comes to stopping people. Sometimes it's more dangerous to forcefully stop them. Luckily, it ended ok.
Yup. I thought most states have a no chase law as often innocent people get hurt. I'd like to see a real chase on a closed course of a cop vs an car thief. No spike strips, no civilians. Maybe they could get an ex thief gone legit vs a cop for a reality show and Seacrest can host.

Yup. I thought most states have a no chase law as often innocent people get hurt. I'd like to see a real chase on a closed course of a cop vs an car thief. No spike strips, no civilians. Maybe they could get an ex thief gone legit vs a cop for a reality show and Seacrest can host.

Never happen as most of those worlds wildest police chases are all propaganda anyways. They only show about 5% of the chases where they actually catch the people. The other 95% of the time the person gets away.

If they did a show like you mentioned there would be even more people who think (or realize) they can outrun the police resulting in less footage to use on worlds wildest police chases, cause they don't show the people who get away.

I've always like the idea that an NSX would be able to out-handle the cops and get away... obviously not.

not with traffic on a 2 lane highway.

here in LA a 1-2am..... you can pull some stupid speeds on the 4-5 lane freeways

I've always like the idea that an NSX would be able to out-handle the cops and get away... obviously not.

It seemed like whenever the NSX got some open road, he pulled away from the cop handily. But on a two lane road with traffic, the LEO is always going to get you.

Thats a pretty low quality video clip but from what i saw the officers seemed to act incredibly irresponsible getting that driver to stop. There was traffic everywhere and you have a cop shooting from a moving vehicle? It looked like he shot out the back hatch? If so, that some horrible shooting if he was aiming for the tires and if he wasnt then what was he aiming for to have hit the glass?

I hate car thieves as much as the next guy but it seemed here like the officers were endangering the public more than the thief was.
The NSX even signaled when he was pulling over with a shredded tire.

I hate car thieves as much as the next guy but it seemed here like the officers were endangering the public more than the thief was.
The NSX even signaled when he was pulling over with a shredded tire.
In my opinion, criminals bear the responsibility for any measures required to stop them. Of everyone involved, he had the most control: all he had to do was pull over. He chose otherwise, and thus he chose what happened.

If cops were armed with laser-guided missiles, I bet a lot more thieves would give it up the second the cop lit them up. Of course, everyone would scream about the danger to the public, but the point is that the stronger the response, the less it's required.

Last edited:
I'm going to do my best to flip flop and give conflicting supporting arguments here.

I don't agree with letting the criminal go. That only works if you can somehow prove the identity of the driver. For stolen cars, this is not possible, and leads to the ideology that you can steal cars and run from police without fear of reprisal.

However, I'm also not completely comfortable making the driver criminally liable for any actions committed in his pursuit. If a police officer is under-skilled, driving over their ability, and hopped up on adrenaline and he overcooks a turn and dies, how much responsibility are you willing to place on the getaway driver?
In a completely black and white ethical view all he did was commit numerous traffic violations and evade arrest. Did he actually commit some form of assault/manslaughter/murder for what the guy behind him does?

I guess what i'm saying is that i'm still on the fence here.

+1 for 'a wide open freeway = that guy gets away'

Am I hallucinating????? The timer in the upper right was moving awfully fast..... like the film was sped up...... or was it time lapsed photography????

I'm puzzled..... I puzzle easy too.

Never happen as most of those worlds wildest police chases are all propaganda anyways. They only show about 5% of the chases where they actually catch the people. The other 95% of the time the person gets away.

If they did a show like you mentioned there would be even more people who think (or realize) they can outrun the police resulting in less footage to use on worlds wildest police chases, cause they don't show the people who get away.

We have a pretty conservative pursuit policy here. A 145 MPH pursuit for a stolen car would not be tolerated and personally, I find it totally unacceptable. We can still pursue for serious felonies where the risks to the public for not apprehending a subject outweigh the risks of the pursuit. That said, (and I don't have the exact stats in front of me) when we do initiate a pursuit, I believe out capture rates are at least 80%. This figure applies to pursuits not terminated by supervisors or the officer himself.

If a police officer is under-skilled, driving over their ability, and hopped up on adrenaline and he overcooks a turn and dies, how much responsibility are you willing to place on the getaway driver?
100%. No brainer. You don't run, nobody gets hurt. You have 100% ability to avoid the bad situation, thus you have 100% of the responsibility if the bad situation happens. Period.

In a completely black and white ethical view all he did was commit numerous traffic violations and evade arrest.
Evading arrest is not something that qualifies under the "all he did was" rule. Nicking gum might qualify. Driving with one broken tail light might qualify. Felony evading arrest does not. You go to prison for that.

We have a pretty conservative pursuit policy here. A 145 MPH pursuit for a stolen car would not be tolerated and personally, I find it totally unacceptable. We can still pursue for serious felonies where the risks to the public for not apprehending a subject outweigh the risks of the pursuit.

That makes sense.

It seems to me there are several kinds of pursuits:

1) A "bona fide criminal" -- someone who just robbed a bank, killed someone, kidnapped someone, etc. and is running from the law. These people are a danger and must be apprehended. A stolen car might be in this category as well, but a lot of cars aren't worth the effort.

2) Someone who was being pulled over for a minor infraction, and freaks out. On one of the "world's wildest police chases" there was an old Korean guy who did this, and the cops ended up killing him. It seems to me that once you get the plates and verify that it's not a known criminal and stolen car, best to just let him go and pick him up at his home.

3) Kids out on a joy-ride. Again, as long as the car's not stolen and there's no other violent crime outstanding, just let them go and nab them when they return home. Prior offenses can be considered -- if the same car runs from the cops on multiple occasions, it's time to run them down. Getting a picture of the driver before breaking pursuit helps a lot, too.

Back