• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Pop-up Headlights Upgrade

Hey folks!

I'm almost a new (to me) NSX owner. Been a fan since day 1 and the day has come for me to own 1. Got to test drive this really clean 91, and its a done deal. One thing that's been bothering me is, I got to test drive it at night, and drove it around some back roads, the headlights are dim even with HIDs in it. Are there any headlight upgrades available for the pop-up ones? Really like the pop-ups, and I know most of the time, it would be flipped down, but really inclined to upgrading to clear lens and some really nice projector retrofits. Can't stand the idea of a classic JDM and can't see well at night. Thanks guys!:cool:

Danny D.

I replaced an older HID kit on my '91 with a Morimoto HID kit and 5500K bulbs. It's plenty bright and has nice clean cutoffs. Another primer, [MENTION=31516]2NDWIFE[/MENTION], put them on his after seeing my post and was very pleased as well.

There are plenty of posts here about headlight conversions/upgrades - HIDs and LEDs. Search is your friend.

I replaced an older HID kit on my '91 with a Morimoto HID kit and 5500K bulbs. It's plenty bright and has nice clean cutoffs. Another primer, @2NDWIFE, put them on his after seeing my post and was very pleased as well.

There are plenty of posts here about headlight conversions/upgrades - HIDs and LEDs. Search is your friend.

Thanks for the response! Yes, should've mentioned that, I did search all night prior to making a post about it and did in the past as well, but did not really find any thing to what I'm looking for. I've used Morimoto HIDs on my LX, and have had retrofitted in other cars, although their projectors are top notch, I wasn't satisfied with their HIDs. The output on mines became dim within 6 months, and researched on it before, and a lot of people has mentioned the same issues. But again, what I'm looking for is a total upgrade or should I say modern look. Get rid of that outdated fluted glass lenses and a proper projector retrofit. I did not find anything here, at least not anything that came to fruition. Looks like many companies tried to make some in the past but never got around actually manufacturing them.

However I did find these in google. And according to their Instagram they even have a completed set available for sale below retail. Thinking about pulling the trigger, they seem to be focused on Lexus but curious if anyone has dealt with them in the past? I mean, there's even a photo of it on an NSX.

https://www.organizedgaragestatus.com/copy-of-12-2005-2012-hyundai-accent

the best clear lens and projector upgrade i've seen for our cars is a kit provided by organizedgaragestatus.com There's a red NSX on here that got it done and his light output, cutoff and just overall appearance is awesome. it's not cheap, but i dont think terribly expensive either.

Last edited:
I have Kensun hid’s and they are bright as hell.

I have Kensun hid’s and they are bright as hell.

Any links to what you have? Did you do low and high beams or just the low? I have HID's installed from the previous owner but only the low beams and I'm not really happy with brightness or projection.

Any links to what you have? Did you do low and high beams or just the low? I have HID's installed from the previous owner but only the low beams and I'm not really happy with brightness or projection.
I bought the Kensun kit from amazon in 10,000k. Sorry I didn’t have any thread of install. But the polarity is switch. Black wire to red and red to black to make work. Ballasts are so tiny, everything fits under the headlight cover. Drill a small hole in the dust boot. The 10k I did in low beam only and they have a blue hue. Very bright.

I bought the Kensun kit from amazon in 10,000k. Sorry I didn’t have any thread of install. But the polarity is switch. Black wire to red and red to black to make work. Ballasts are so tiny, everything fits under the headlight cover. Drill a small hole in the dust boot. The 10k I did in low beam only and they have a blue hue. Very bright.

No wonder they are bright. At 10k they should be! Did you have to get them specific for the NSX or is it just a one size fits all? If the price is right I might do both lo and hi beams.

No wonder they are bright. At 10k they should be! Did you have to get them specific for the NSX or is it just a one size fits all? If the price is right I might do both lo and hi beams.
Universl kit. They range from 39 to 59 dollars on amazon.

Sorry to interrupt, but I think you guys have the wrong understanding of Kelvins. Kelvin is the measurement of the lights colorband, lumens is for brightness. The higher the Kelvin, the further it is from natural light, the less you actually see with it. Natural light is between 4300-4500K. You don’t want anything higher than 6000K as it’s going to start becoming bluish white, which is very eye straining for long drives or freeway driving.

Sorry to interrupt, but I think you guys have the wrong understanding of Kelvins. Kelvin is the measurement of the lights colorband, lumens is for brightness. The higher the Kelvin, the further it is from natural light, the less you actually see with it. Natural light is between 4300-4500K. You don’t want anything higher than 6000K as it’s going to start becoming bluish white, which is very eye straining for long drives or freeway driving.
Nah, I get what you mean. I was just stating that the Kensun are pretty damn bright. I like the blue hue 10k gives so I went with those. It is basically like driving around with halogen high beams on but pointed lower to the ground to avoid blinding other drivers.

I follow you exactly. I ordered 6000k and 5000k for low beam and high beam, respectfully. And also their relay wiring set too. I'll install them next weekend.

I bought the organized garage projector retrofit during the group buy and it's not and day with the light output. You can choose to just retrofit the low beam or all 4. I had the latter done so it's quad bi-xenon. It's a bit pricy and it's a permanent modification but worth it in my opinion.

I bought the organized garage projector retrofit during the group buy and it's not and day with the light output. You can choose to just retrofit the low beam or all 4. I had the latter done so it's quad bi-xenon. It's a bit pricy and it's a permanent modification but worth it in my opinion.
Any pics?

Also in for pix. That kit looks amazing.

In the meantime, I have whiteNSXs HID kit and it’s going strong. I went with that one because it’s got a decade of reported experience on this forum.

Like many have mentioned there are companies like Organized Garage and Arclight LED who have done limited run kits...

I think the Organized Garage kit is a great buy but I would definitely check if there are still any available since it was a limited run.

I think when you do a true headlight retrofit the biggest challenge will be the old style lens and both OG and Arclight kit have updated clear lens that will make a night and day difference in beam pattern.

I purchased the clear lens from OG but I have my shop El Stig Garage doing my entire headlight retrofit there just because they are local to me and I know the quality of their work. The new morimoto projector housing are your best option in my opinion and if you can get your hand on either kit I think you will be quite happy with the results. I can't wait to finish my quad bi xenon build in Feb. I will post photos when its all said and done...

So you bought the kit from them but had another shop install it for you? Why didn’t you just have OG do the whole conversion?

Their quality looks really top notch. I love how they take close up high def photos of their work. Other shops just use their phones and you don’t really see the details to it.

I have the shunned upon DTM kit and it is plenty bright. The output on it is pretty insane and on the stock projectors, the cutoff line is still great. They are way more bright than my stock s2000 HIDs.

Would like to see the quad headlight beams though.

I have the shunned upon DTM kit and it is plenty bright. The output on it is pretty insane and on the stock projectors, the cutoff line is still great. They are way more bright than my stock s2000 HIDs.

Would like to see the quad headlight beams though.

They have plenty of photos in their gallery.

https://www.organizedgaragestatus.com/copy-of-12-2005-2012-hyundai-accent

I'm waiting for a set of headlights I can send them, as someone beat me to the set they had built for sale.

Back