• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Power Window Issues

I was recently having the speakers/amps repaired in my 91 NSX. While I had the door panels off, I figured that I would deal with some power window issues that I’m having. Some time ago (before I had owned the car), both doors had the window regulators replaced with the “new” style regulators (the white plastic cable holder thingy is boxed in on all sides). Now, here are my issues…

Drivers side window:
The window goes down at a standard speed, but it comes back up very slow. When it first starts to come up its slow, then it seems to slightly speed up about a ¼ of the way, then slows back to a crawl by the ½ way point, and then finally speeds up a little just before it closes. Also, about ¾ of the way up, I can here a slight popping. Can this just be fixed be cleaning/re-lubing the tracks?

Passenger side window:
The window goes up and down at a completely normal speed. The problem is that the window will randomly stop when in use. The window will just being going up or down and then just stop, like if you had let go of the switch. Sometimes the driver side switch will work and sometimes it won’t. Same for the passenger switch. Also, the switch on the drivers side for the passenger window, works backwards (push forward the window goes down, pull back the goes up). It has been like this since I bought the car.:confused:

I’d appreciate any help I can get… Thanks!
Michael

i have the same issues, i seem to have either an intermittant GND connection or the window gets 'stuck' sometimes and the motor can't move it (no nasty sounds just no movement) then magically if i try again liek 30 seconds later it works.... the usual embarrassing situation is when my friends pull up to me on the road, and i cant roll my passenger window down in my 'supercar' LOL

Voomva said:
khappucino,

Tell me about it. I had it happen with a date in the car!!!! LOL

or when a Jeep Wrangler full of girls pulls up next to and start yelling at you, and you can't get the window down LOL
then again, they probably thought it was an unmanned car cuz apparently i can't see over the steering wheel :biggrin:

Voomva said:
Drivers side window:
The window goes down at a standard speed, but it comes back up very slow. When it first starts to come up its slow, then it seems to slightly speed up about a ¼ of the way, then slows back to a crawl by the ½ way point, and then finally speeds up a little just before it closes. Also, about ¾ of the way up, I can here a slight popping. Can this just be fixed be cleaning/re-lubing the tracks?

Michael

Michael - it's my understanding that the symptoms you're describing could be caused by a bad window alignment. Essentially, the windows in the NSX can be adjusted just like you think of wheels being aligned (ie. camber, caster, etc.). I'm told that adjusting the window alignment is relatively easy but getting it right takes some experience, patience, and finesse.

Da Hapa,

Thanks for the advice. I have a shop manual and I believe that there are 2-3 pages dedicated to just the window adjustment. I look into it!

Anyone have an idea on the passenger window? Possibly a bad switch?

Voomva said:
Da Hapa,

Thanks for the advice. I have a shop manual and I believe that there are 2-3 pages dedicated to just the window adjustment. I look into it!

Anyone have an idea on the passenger window? Possibly a bad switch?
You're very welcome.

I believe that somewhere buried in the FAQ section of this board there is also an PDF formatted manual that might help. Unfortunately, I don't have a direct link to it but I know I've seen it referenced in other threads.

Were there any resolutions to the window problems with rolling up slow? My windows roll down semi slow, but practically will not roll up on there own.

I have bought the window fix-it thingys and plan to install those this weekend. But it's almost like the power window motor just doesn't have the power to roll my windows up anymore.

I have a very strong feeling it's more than just "lubing the tracks". But I will read the FAQ. My windows actually stop. If I don't pull them up with my hand while pushing the button to roll them up, they would stay down for good.:frown:

Mine driver's side's window acts in a similar way. It goes down slow and goes back up slow also. My friend told me that it is because of the age of the window regulator. Does anyone know this for a fact?

The window regulator costs about $400 so...... I hope someone shed some light in this.

Sometimes "lubing the tracks" just won't cut it. The motors lose their efficiency over time and your only recourse is to replace the regulator assembly or attempt to have it rebuilt as described in this thread:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61932&highlight=regulator+rebuild

On my 93 the driver's side window was much slower going up than the pasenger side. After about a year there wasn't enough torque from the motor to close it completely. I first attempted to solve the problem by lubing the tracks but that didin't accomplish anything so I replaced the regulator and things are just peachy now. This happened before I was aware of the rebuild option. I'm guessing that over time the brushes inside the motor get worn to the point where they aren't passing enough current to the motor. I'm assuming the "rebuild" replaces the brushes and lubes the bearings inside the assembly.

The window "fix-it" issue has nothing to do with the speed of the window. If your regulator is a 91 or 92 it has the old design. Honda fixed the design themselves in 93 and issued a TSB to that effect. For what it's worth my car is number 35 from 1993 and the regulator I pulled out had the updated design.

flyeyes said:
I have a very strong feeling it's more than just "lubing the tracks". But I will read the FAQ. My windows actually stop. If I don't pull them up with my hand while pushing the button to roll them up, they would stay down for good.:frown:

LUBE LUBE LUBE I had similar issues with passenger side, was told plastic bits inside are very sensitive to lack of lubrication and very expensive to replace. While removing speakers I applied (with hi tech instrument - my finger) a liberal dose of white lithium grease to everything my paws could reach. Now passenger side is quicker than driver's side. Issue gone. Be careful pulling panel off.

I greased the hell out of my windows and aligned them, no difference.

They are having difficulty going up and that at only 30,000-40,000 miles. Degenerating? After such a short amount of use? It’s cold and wet here most of the time, windows don’t get used a lot.

I contacted a motor rewinding place, they can make them faster by rewinding them as a 9 volt motor but they won’t be stronger. Weaker I guess.
So this summer it’s on the list to take them out and look at them. I will then take them to the motor place to see if stronger/other/faster motors can be adapted. This summer.
Peter

Back