• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX project... Long Road – Silver Lining

Hello Prime,
My name is Chris and I’m a NSX / Primeaholic. I post very rarely because the search function works so well. Anyhow, because it seems that April fools ‘08 is bringing out the silver pictures here are a few of my ongoing project. Yet another ’02 conversion and the dreaded color change with a shave. A big thanks to prime and everyone who has helped me along the way.

A few from the process.
P1010068_Large_.JPG

P1010001_Large_.JPG

P1010003_Large_.JPG

P1010007_Large_.JPG

DSC00029_Large_.JPG

The smallest yet largest project hindrance...well worth the delays!
P7220008_Large_.JPG

Finally making progress.
DSC00333_Large_.JPG

P2180090_Large_.JPG

DSC00362_Large_.JPG

DSC00354_Large_.JPG

DSC00359_Large_.JPG

Amazing transformation! Good work! Who did the work looks like a quality job:smile:

Thank you for the kind words. It is a bit intimidating posting pictures on Prime. Although, it’s comforting to know there are others with the same passion and/or disease. I have done all of the work except for the bodywork and paint. Although, I cannot thank my father and friend Tom enough for their help and time. Also, I can't say enough for my wife who hasn't thrown me out of the house. It has taken me at least four times longer than I had anticipated and cost about twice as much as originally planned. This tends to be normal for one of my projects.

A gentleman who is a true artist in my opinion performed the welding. The day I met him he had an AC Ace on a rotisserie and eventually hand hammered an entire front end for it. It had been damaged in shipping when originally imported and was undergoing a complete restoration. He did an amazing job welding up the fenders and doors. A gentleman who does hot rods and is also passionate about automobiles performed the bodywork and paint.

Doing the color change was a bit daunting because no one wanted to touch this thing with a ten-foot pole. Admittedly, there are like a million parts that have to get prep’d and painted.

As per the “might as wells” there are truly too many to list. All maintenance items have been replaced. I used all Acura OEM parts, except for the Downforce hood and the mechanical mods. Joe and Jason at Acura of Augusta probably sold me 20% of an NSX in parts. They are great guys, with great service and great prices. My goal was not to have to do any major work on this for the next several years. It is definitely getting closer to completion and runs great. I cannot wait to get it out to a track day.

A few from the first day of disassembly.
P1010029_Large_.JPG

P1010028_Large_.JPG

P1010033_Large_.JPG

Perhaps the next day. It's kind of a blur. These were taken after cleaning the garage.
P1010060_Large_.JPG

P1010062_Large_.JPG

P1010074_Large_.JPG

Fitting new body panels.
P1010038_Large_.JPG

Off to paint - how to prevent it from snowing.
P1010006_Large_.JPG

At Mr. Floyd's shop. The chassis had been previously painted and all of the body panels had been edged.
P8180003_Large_.JPG

P8180002_Large_.JPG

Great work. Congratulations.

Chris, I could be wrong but I think we met at the F1 race last year by my car. Anyways, awesome project....although I don't know why you would want to paint over a perfectly good shade of red.:tongue: :wink:
Congrats on the completion of an impressive undertaking, it looks fantastic!

you're my hero..:biggrin:

Seriously though, I'd love to strip my nsx down as much as you have. Clean just doesn't describe the finished product. Big props. The car is like new again.

-jim

Thanks for sharing the pics of your project. That sure is alot of work, and it is good to see that you did the color change the right way.

You must have amazing skills to tear apart and remember where everything goes back. Congrats on the little one also.:smile:

Again, thanks for the nice words.

Blodi, yes that was I at F1. I am pretty upset that we lost it. It was nice meeting you and I would like to get up north sometime for the Woodward Blvd. Cruise.

Chris NSX, my car was at the paint shop when you were getting finished. Man it was killing me. You have impeccable taste and you have some serious high quality mods. Some of my future plans include a BBK and 6 speed trans.

Otoro, they are E Type wheels, but it is an XK140 fhc. You guys can definitely sniff out the British iron.

01blacks4, I follow your threads also and your work makes my project look like child’s play.

If you don't mind my asking, what brand/type of headers are those? I've never seen any with an open collector.

Blodi, yes that was I at F1. I am pretty upset that we lost it. It was nice meeting you and I would like to get up north sometime for the Woodward Blvd. Cruise.

I thought that I was putting that all together right. :biggrin:
You should come up for the cruise! Its unreal if you have never been and we have a good group of NSX owners up here that always love seeing a new one! Especially one with that kind of work put into it!
I too am sad about F1 being gone. I went to 5 of them. We have the Detroit GP here this year again....not near the same though. I thought I read something about it possibly coming back to Indy next year though?
Anyways, again nice work, very impressive.

I wanted to weld the low beam adjuster brackets instead of cutting the headlight housing frame, my but I was in a rush to get NSX to the paint shop. This shows the level of detail in this project. This is one of my favorite NSX on Prime.

P1010001_Large_.jpgimgmax=800

That is literally an AMAZING piece of work.

You really took the idea of repainting a car to a completely new level.

If you don't mind me asking, just how look did it take to do all this?
And what year is your NSX?

Wow! I'm definately impressed with your skills and patience tackling such a project. There are 3 projects that I've come across that have really impressed me and they are: Yours, Anil's Targa to Coupe Conversion and Type R treatment, and the gentleman in Australia who did the left hand to right hand drive swap.

I've kept an eye on ChrisNSX's +02 conversion progress much like you did.

I'm just completing my +02 Type R conversion (wing, bumper caps, and front chin spoiler go on this weekend) then I'm removing the complete interior and installing an interior that NO ONE on Prime has seen or done on a NSX. It will be done by May for sure.

Next up...I'm thinking of going the paint route to a non-standard NSX color that wasn't sold in the NA market. I've got a black car as a base so I don't know whether I should do a full tear down like you did or simply remove and paint panels where needed. I guess cost might determine how I proceed and I need to decide if I'll paint the roof or not. I'm not looking to go full on Type R parts of course (damn seats are what 19K?!?!)

So...in essence thanks for posting this thread and if you have any pointers for going the paint route please send me a PM. It would be cool to see more shots or a story as to how it all came to be.

Jetpilot3

Back