• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX protest at Honda HQ in Torrance

Look again:

protestersb.jpg

:biggrin:

Of course the hot one gets it...

Re: Pointless NSX protest at Honda HQ in Torrance

...Honda still exists and still builds quality cars, so they have been doing many things right.

I agree with M's entire statement, but i refuse to quote it all. Honda will build cars that it sees will make money. It probably won't have a 5.0 litre V10 and cost 300k+ (ahem) in a market where people are struggling to keep their jobs.

When the time is right Honda will revive their sportscar heritage, until then we will all have to wait patiently.

I know I don't live there to do this but since Southern Cali probably has the largest amount of NSX's anyone good with the idea of driving there with signs to protest Hondas current direction with sportscars?

Maybe if any of the prime people have media connections we could get some news coverage as well?

We've all grumbled online but maybe just maybe some embarrassment would get their "pride" back.

Not sure if any of you out there still care but I think it's worth a shot.
Oh this sucks big time i'm on the wrong side of the pond. I'd join in a hearth beat and i know quite a few how would too.
Try and get the S2k owners and all other sympathetic Honda owners to join in.

Last edited:

I agree with M's entire statement, but i refuse to quote it all. Honda will build cars that it sees will make money. It probably won't have a 5.0 litre V10 and cost 300k+ (ahem) in a market where people are struggling to keep their jobs.

When the time is right Honda will revive their sportscar heritage, until then we will all have to wait patiently.

Exactly....hopefully they will want to bring out something to revive their racing heritage. It all depends on the survey.....will you pay 300k for the HSV if we build it? If not then we keep it for the track.

No, it wasn't.
Yes it was. It had a garbage front end, and shittier wheels then the '98 Spec ITR. Also did not have Recaros or a red interior option.

I drove the CR-Z 6-speed with Navi for a half hour this morning. I couldn't really evaluate acceleration performance as the hybrid battery was completely used up/at lowest reading (what a shock on a test drive day!!)

Highlights: the thick grip leather steering wheel, the low hip/high feet sports car seating position, the dash layout/info, the 45mm stock shift throw (1st to 2nd), HID headlights, HFL, wide rear stance, 4 wheel disc, great sounding stereo with USB. It even has a cool air vent you can open that goes directly into the glovebox that automatically shuts when you switch to heat. In Econ mode it had me shifting to 6th gear at 30MPH on level streets. (it has up/down guide arrows) It looked composed on a high speed run through the slalom course.

I'm hoping it approaches the success in the asian market where Honda told us it is sold out.

I drove the CR-Z 6-speed with Navi for a half hour this morning

It's apparent that you work for a Honda Dealership and attended the "Ride and Drive" for the CRZ.

My point with this car is that for a "hybrid", it doesn't really get great fuel economy. My question for Honda is why introduce a 2-seater (CRX replacement) hybrid sports car if the hybrid numbers aren't there? Why not just stick with I-VTech? The US market albeit small in comparison to overall global sales wants to see a true performance car? The production numbers are small anyway why not give us want we want?

Lexus went ahead with the LFA while Honda wasted millions on R&D only to back out at the last minute citing the global recession?

My point with this car is that for a "hybrid", it doesn't really get great fuel economy. My question for Honda is why introduce a 2-seater (CRX replacement) hybrid sports car if the hybrid numbers aren't there?

Honda believes small speciality cars are the fastest growing segment of the U.S. car market, with projected sales increasing an average of 22% each year: 140,195 units this year, up to 411,802 units in 2015. Note they are not saying anything about sports cars, high horsepower cars, or cars with good power to weight ratios. They mention Mini Cooper, Scion tC, and Golf TDI as small speciality cars that CR-Z customers might cross-shop. Not the high performance versions, like the Mini Cooper S.

We've got to get away from this thought since the CR-Z is a hybrid it's got to get great fuel economy. I drove an Insight all winter long and that car's acceleration absolutely sucked, but it got very good MPG. With current technology we have: Good gas mileage - performance suffers. Good performance - gas mileage suffers. Even the Tesla - if you get on it, the range suffers. The Tesla is just a big complex version of an electric R/C car.

The CR-Z is a small speciality car that happens to be a hybrid.

I agree with this. The entire world is still reeling from economic disaster and Honda is still thriving.

Some car companies went bankrupt, others had to rely on government bailouts. Honda simply focused on it's money making products.

They'll be back.

Honda's visions and directions in the hands of these great designers and managers. Listen carefully.:confused:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0aOqAMMV7r4&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0aOqAMMV7r4&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Steve

Interesting thread and views, just wanted to add another bit of info here. Porsche supposedly just announced production for their 918 Hybrid Spyder concept. 1000 or so units at a staggering $650K+ each. That does not make sense in this economy, but if Porsche is doing it, why not Honda? Seems like quite a few car companies out there, even if they don't make money on the individual cars, has a "halo" car of sorts. GM has their ZR1, Nissan = GT-R, Toyota = LF-A, Audi = R8, Benz = SLS, Chrysler = Viper. IMO Honda needs something, the CR-Z is an engineers toy IMO. There is nothing wrong with the car, but if you are touting technology and advancements, you at least need a car that will grab the consumer by the head and slap them around, not bore them to death. If the car on looks alone doesn't make me want to sit inside, then what does it matter to me if it goes zero to sixty in 2 seconds or if it gets 50mpg? Boring or ugly (ASCC) is still boring or ugly. The CR-Z, Insight, and FC-X, all nice cars in their own right and techno whiz, but from an company image standpoint, yawners.

Last edited:
honda thinks it wants to be where toyota is in america- supplying cars to people that do not like to drive and want to be 'isolated from environment' which is what american market demands. unless you see someone new in charge or change in peoples' perception in this largest market, we can all forget anything meaningful coming from them in the near future. simply put, toyota-dude is killing what honda was all about in an effort to drum up sales from the oblivious.

Osiris

your the winner fo the best Pic of the day.

but the hot girl should have the Support NSX PRIME sign. so minus 1 point for that. LOL

Yes it was. It had a garbage front end, and shittier wheels then the '98 Spec ITR. Also did not have Recaros or a red interior option.
What you really mean is that the Japanese ITR has the garbage front end. Remember, garbage is in the eye of the beholder. Also, I have tried sitting in those Recaros, and the wider USIM seats are a much better fit for most American males over eight years old. Yes, there were differences, but they were all cosmetic - and the USIM is a much better car for those differences. :tongue:

weren't the engine specs not a bit different?
That's correct. So were the brakes and suspension. But clearly those are minor details, not important to some people. :biggrin:

Here's the deal with getting the NSX to return to the line up.

Honda needs an eccentric leader to make this happen. Anyone leader who is cautious will never do or make anything great. Soichior was eccentric about cars. Grandson of Mr. Toyota decided to produce LFA despite the tough economy.

If one truly loves sports car and that loves goes down to his bone, the leader will make sports car and figure out ways to make it pay off. Or the leader can say damn the cost, because building a new NSX is brand marketing and the cost of developing an NSX is a fraction of what it cost to go racing.

I'm tired of hearing justifications of how the economy has stalled sports car development. B.S. That's called an excuse. If a company doesn't have it in their bones to develop a sports car, despite the bad economy, get off the pot. Apparently they have.

Greatness will never be achieved if one is always held back by fear. Instead, focus on one's dreams first, then focus on how to address the concerns.

Soichiro Honda was indeed a car nut to the extreme. It takes someone like him to lead an organization and have greatness emerge. Now we have a bunch of cowards running Honda fearing this and fearing that and building reliable boring refrigerators. Now Honda is a me-too company, which one day, will fall to its own demise. To top it off, Honda Japan leaders are too conceited to listen to us. Been there, done that with trying to get thru to their thick heads. They are deaf. For that, we should just move on to other marques.

Honda takes the quite roll when every one knows they make the best cars on the planet.

they are to humble in my eyes. take the lead, I see honda commercials like one every 3 months, its like they dont need advertising, but you see toyota tring to get abck their lost market with commercials every few minutes. Honda should take lead and ruin their sales.

I will never buy an american made vehicle except a Ford F-150 truck.

I like the Honda truck but they need to take some of that George Jetson looking crap off of it.

I don't know about that. I believe Ford has surpassed Honda in terms of initial quality.

I guess it depends on where you live, but I seen tons of Honda commercials.

What Honda needs to do is stop making the Acura line up so ugly, adding more RWD cars would be nice to. A NSX and S2000 successor would be sweet. If anything I think Hyundai might be taking over the auto world pretty soon. I believe they are the 5th largest automaker in the world.

Last edited:
Here's the deal with getting the NSX to return to the line up.

Honda needs an eccentric leader to make this happen. Anyone leader who is cautious will never do or make anything great. Soichior was eccentric about cars. Grandson of Mr. Toyota decided to produce LFA despite the tough economy.

If one truly loves sports car and that loves goes down to his bone, the leader will make sports car and figure out ways to make it pay off. Or the leader can say damn the cost, because building a new NSX is brand marketing and the cost of developing an NSX is a fraction of what it cost to go racing.

I'm tired of hearing justifications of how the economy has stalled sports car development. B.S. That's called an excuse. If a company doesn't have it in their bones to develop a sports car, despite the bad economy, get off the pot. Apparently they have.

Greatness will never be achieved if one is always held back by fear. Instead, focus on one's dreams first, then focus on how to address the concerns.

Soichiro Honda was indeed a car nut to the extreme. It takes someone like him to lead an organization and have greatness emerge. Now we have a bunch of cowards running Honda fearing this and fearing that and building reliable boring refrigerators. Now Honda is a me-too company, which one day, will fall to its own demise. To top it off, Honda Japan leaders are too conceited to listen to us. Been there, done that with trying to get thru to their thick heads. They are deaf. For that, we should just move on to other marques.

Fully agree with you. Just look at Ron Dennis and his latest MP4-12C project.

Perry, I think that NSX video circulating right now may do more to influence Honda than a protest of a few NSX and S2000 owners. Racing and sports cars are very low profit margin activities for a mainstream car company and as soon as it was clear that Honda was facing a serious sales decline, they pulled the plug on F1, NSX and S2000 in rapid succession. I get that.

What I don't get is the shift in corporate direction away from reliable, efficient cars that are fun to drive across the model range to this sort of confused, split personality lack of focus. On one hand, we see these bloated, bland rental-fleet type people movers using outdated powerplants with lackluster styling and on the other we see this strange obsession with "green" cars. Neither of these types are very appealing.

The format67 video is a great example of capturing what it used to feel like to drive a Honda. Given the number of hits, maybe it will show Ito and the others how far they have strayed from that ideal. It started on forums like this one, but with the autoblog article and others, the mainstream auto press is finally catching on to this sad fact as well. In typical Japanese fashion however, Honda is being very slow to react, which will hurt them in the market.

If I were Ito, here is what I would do:
1. Issue a CEO directive that all MY2012 Honda/Acura cars must lose 200kg versus the MY2010 version, with the exception of the Fit.
2. All MY2012 cars must use a version of A-VTEC.
3. The replacement for the J-series must be ready for use in all V6 MY2012 cars.
4. A refreshed S2000 with A-VTEC F22 should be ready for MY2012.
5. The Integra should return to Acura in 2012 and be called Integra.
6. An Acura GT flagship car should be available by MY2013 at the LATEST.
7. Fire the body designers. All MY2012 Honda/Acuras should go back to clean line styling. No more bulges, gouges, and cheap-looking chromed bits.
8. A new NSX with the flagship powertrain ready by MY2014.
9. ALL MY2012 Honda/Acura cars, including the sports models, must have HWY MPG of at least 30. This will be additional incentive to cut weight, especially in the truck models.

If Honda does this, it will be back and better than ever. I believe it still has enough talented engineers to make it happen.

What you really mean is that the Japanese ITR has the garbage front end. Remember, garbage is in the eye of the beholder. Also, I have tried sitting in those Recaros, and the wider USIM seats are a much better fit for most American males over eight years old. Yes, there were differences, but they were all cosmetic - and the USIM is a much better car for those differences. :tongue:

That's correct. So were the brakes and suspension. But clearly those are minor details, not important to some people. :biggrin:

I had DC5-R recaros in my RSX and I had no problem fitting into them @ 5'9 185. A bit snug yes, but I was never uncomfortable even on long trips.

Back