• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX repaint

Here is the link to the ad. It includes no indication of how many miles it has, accident history, title condition, etc. - not much information at all. Doesn't even say whether it has a manual or automatic (although the VIN implies it's a five-speed), doesn't even say whether it runs or has major body damage. Who knows?

As Lud has said, every NSX he's seen with a bargain price has been priced that way for a reason, or something to that effect. But hey, the price is right, so maybe it's worth it.

Here's the seller:
Shannon Lynn Inc.
503-709-9890

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 15 August 2002).]

YES YES YES!!! This is the car I've been looking for in terms of visuals!!!

Perfect in a way that it's yellow and perfect in a way that it's got the new wheels. I don't mind too much about it's previous records as long as they've all been fixed correctly and as long as the car drives perfectly right now. I'm not too worried about the mileage as long as it's under 100,000, the vin number shows that it is a 5 speed. I don't care about the resale value AT ALL as long as the car doesn't stop running... and the price is almost 10K lower than my expected budget which means I can almost buy this car right away!!!

Now I am just getting too excited over this vehicle and somebody needs to calm me down and educate me regarding what I need to do to not screw up my first NSX buying experience. As some of you already know from my posts, I've been waiting for a looooooong time to buy the car of my dreams(yes that would be an NSX), and still being a college student, 30K is a lot of money to come up on my own. $20K took me 6 years to save and I don't want to throw away my 6 years worth of my money to buy a completely beat up NSX that looks like a 97...

Now I beg those of you who can help me. Can you please find out anything that I should be aware of, or anything I need to know about this specific car? Anybody out there who can do the vin check? Anybody out there who can perhaps stop by and check this vehicle out for me in Portland OR area? This really means a lot to me and I really really hope this is the right car for me.

Please help~~~... god I'm so desperate...

------------------
* i need to be well prepared when I get my own NSX. Gimme some NSXducation people!!

- [email protected] -

Hey Gookus, maybe you should start a new thread requesting help to review that car in Oregon. The theme of the thread has changed since your original post & you might get a response to help, possible someone can run VIN for you.
I hope it works out for you, but a word of caution to not wish it to be what you want soooo bad that you might miss something important.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
wink.gif

First of all, you really need to calm down before you hurt yourself.
Making financial decisions based on emotion will take you to the poor house everytime. Call up the # for the ad but I'd be VERY VERY WEARY. Chances are, it's probably had some kind of bad title or history or accident so that's why it did a repaint to yellow. I could be totally wrong, but it's just a gut feeling.
Given that you are a graduate of Carneige Mellon, you should be smart enough to know what's best for you.
My only word of advice is that you don't make financial decisions on a house or car the same way you'd try to win the lottery, bet on the 'Skins and buy that pair of Air Jordans you always wanted. The #1 reason why majority of recent college graduates are in heavy debt is sound principle vs emotional buy.

Gookus!

WOW!!!

That car looks JUST like the one you chose for your avatar!!!

I say GO FOR IT!!!

It's got new tires and at $21K it's not going to last long. Don't listen to these naysayers....think of it this way...at $21K, considering what a repaint would cost....this is like getting a NSX for $17K or so....I'd be on the phone tomorrow!!!

wink.gif

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 16 August 2002).]

Originally posted by GookusMaximus:
I don't mind too much about it's previous records as long as they've all been fixed correctly and as long as the car drives perfectly right now. I'm not too worried about the mileage as long as it's under 100,000, the vin number shows that it is a 5 speed. I don't care about the resale value AT ALL as long as the car doesn't stop running...

What if it has 150K miles? What if it needs a serious transmission or engine repair and isn't drivable? What if it has body damage? What if the A/C doesn't work and needs a repair for several grand?

I'm not saying it's not worth $21,500. But remember, there must be a reason that it's selling for such a low price...

Be careful when you buy a car thats been repainted, because the previous owner or painter may not be as anal as you about your cars looks and could have cut corners. I had my supra repainted yellow and it cost me 3500 and it would have cost a little more if i would have done the engine bay as well but I wanted the inner fenders to stay black since yellow would get dirty much to easy. The paint job that was on it before was not done very good, and my friend that painted mine was telling me that it looked like they didnt prep it good and did not let it cure. I just sold my supra and plan on getting another next spring and then I want to get a 97 + yellow 6 speed nsx. good luck

------------------
standard

94 Supra TT bpu+++

Originally posted by GookusMaximus:
I am hoping to repaint my NSX yellow when I get one in the near future. My budget is low so I can only afford ealier models where the yellow wasn't available. I was wondering around how much $$ I should be looking to spend to get the NSX repainted in the color I want.

Well, I can tell you that it won't be cheap if you want results like the Spa Yellow Pearl that the 1997+ NSX is. A buddy of mine in the Porsche Club owns his own shop and was remarking that the NSX color appears to be a 3 stage paint process to get the depth and richness of the color and the pearl. I had a 2000 yellow and I parked it next to the Fly Yellow Ferrari 360 Modena and it was NO CONTEST, the NSX paint job makes the Ferrari look like it was painted at K-mart.

Color changes are hard, and should involve removal and frame off painting of all body panels. I you want yellow, then paint it yellow and don't let people give you static about it. It is your car and ultimately you are the only one that has to like it... you and the next owner of course.
wink.gif

Well, the quote of $10,000 - $15,000 is about right for a quality job. I rolled my 1995 BMW 325i Convertible and had to replace ever body panel and have them all painted. The Bill came to $12,000. Of course there was about $4,000 of other parts and stuff, but the panels were not painted another color first and were being painted gloss black, so that was easy. If your car is not white, then painting it yellow can be a chore to strip the panels and repaint. If they are black, then it is even worse.

Well, that is my perspective. Let me know if you decide to paint it.

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
2000 NSX-T #51 Yellow/Black

Back