• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nsx Replacement Designers Are Stuck

26000 light years from the nearest black hole
Acura designers stuck on new look for NSX
Posted on Monday 21 January 2008 @ MOTOR AUTHORITY

Nissan’s recently launched GT-R has been met with much acclaim and Lexus’ upcoming LF-A supercar is showing great promise, so now the pressure is on Honda and its Acura division to wow the automotive world with a new version of the legendary NSX supercar. Acura previewed one possible design at last year’s Detroit Auto Show with the Advanced Sports Car Concept, but the design was quickly dropped due to the unfavourable response given by the public. Time is ticking and Acura’s designers are working hard on penning a new design, the only problem is they can’t come up with anything.

“All of the designers are working together on the NSX, but they can’t agree on the styling,” Dick Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., revealed to Automotive News at the recent Detroit Auto Show. Designers know the final styling is critical if the NSX is expected to compete with the aforementioned rivals but arriving at something substantial is proving to be extremely difficult for the California-based design time, Colliver explained.

The only information Colliver would confirm is that the car will be powered by a ten-cylinder engine. He also said the new NSX is scheduled to arrive before a redesigned RL sedan and that model is set to make its entry sometime in 2010.

lol...better get a move on, clock's a tickin.

Someone should point them to this forum, some of our own members have made some pretty impressive designs.
:smile:

Someone should point the to the HSC:biggrin:

Like I've said all along....if Honda is trying to "distance itself" from the competition, why in God's green earth did they ditch the MR layout and put the damn engine in the front? They ditch the heritage they already have and their exclusivity with the MR platform in favor of another cookie-cutter sports car with the engine in front. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I really hope that they're learning their lessons, and aren't going to continue to try and force cartoonish, ugly, and uninspiring designs down our throats. Something tells me that this is not the case. They had an opportunity about three years ago to ride a pretty big wave of interest in the HSC. That opportunity has long since been eclipsed by the ugly crap that they have been bringing to auto shows ever since.

They should fire the designers of the two monstrosities that they put forth (ASC and ASCC). Fukui should also let someone with an appreciation for what Soichiro's vision was take over the design division of Honda, and put Honda back on a vector that's fresh, fun, and inspiring once again.

Every time I walk into my local Acura dealership, it reminds me of a Buick or Oldsmobile dealership and NOT a place that used to sell the NSX. If I weren't ordering stuff for my NSX, I would have no business being there at all. Sad, really.

What am I saying....go ahead and continue to shoot yourselves in the foot, Honda. I'll laugh all the way to the bank as my NSX becomes a rarer and rarer commodity......a driver's car, built on a great racing heritage and deigned with automotive passion in mind. In the meantime, I'll be looking elsewhere on the day 50 years from now I decide to sell my beloved NSX. :tongue:

“All of the designers are working together on the NSX, but they can’t agree on the styling,”

What ?? the replacement for the NSX is going to be a NSX - surely the NSX was buried in July 2005 and something new like the HSC/ASCC was replacing it. Has the NSX been rebirthed or are we getting a new car to replace it cant these guys get it right how F$%#ed up has this been Honda should hold thier heads in shame im really starting to get pissed off now i have always been a patient man but this is ridicules.

And while the NSX designers are...um.....stuck....the guys at Ferrari seem to be coming up with fresh new concepts like this:
2008-Ferrari-F250_Concept.jpg

Seriously....come on guys!

And while the NSX designers are...um.....stuck....the guys at Ferrari seem to be coming up with fresh new concepts like this:

Seriously....come on guys!

QUICK! Someone throw a Honda badge on that thing and start selling it!@#!!#

I've never heard of design TEAMS getting stuck. I mean, seriously...it's only been 15 years of basically one design NSX...is it that hard to, I dunno, evolve the car a little?

It's not like it's the next Mustang.. "Geee, we already went retro, now what..."

The damn ASC was looking pretty good, I think at this point I could probably take over and get it going in the right direction!

Game over for Honda. I'll be heading to the prancing horse stable shortly.
Exactly! "Cannot agree on a design"?!?! It is so clear that this POSER "NSX" team is clueless and lack direction. If they can't agree on the design, go do a market survey and find out what people want and call the day.
Game over indeed. Fukui should just admit that the current Honda is simply not capable of running with the big dogs.
Steve

Hardest thing they probably want it reminiscent of the NSX but you can't really do that unless you go mid engine.

I can honestly see them having problems as they generally go pretty conservative. The ASCC was them not being conservative and although I liked it it wasn't to inspired.

Next is I'm sure they don't want to copy anyone to blatantly plus some of the design cues need to be carried somewhat to the rest of the line up. Sigh.

The HSC was fine, They should go back to the Mid engine set-up (If they want add AWD or Keep it RWD) but take the HSC and do some updating. Not hard. Hell I have seen some peoples concepts on here and most of them got me fired up. Personally I think they should go with a V8 I am sure they can get the power they want out of that, plus its lighter(Lighter, more of what the original NSX was about) Honda/Acura need to look at what made the original NSX(and Type R) great Sports cars, and try to model it the next car after it.

I've actually been eying the Aston Martin V8 Vantage. Supposed to be fairly reliable and handles pretty good. Problem is that the engine is in the wrong place and it weighs a whole lot...but it sure does look nice.

My NSX is becoming an antique, which is fine and all, but I need something new to play with in the meantime!

attachment.php

Attachments

• wwwsed4.jpg
    wwwsed4.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2,056

Same here - I am done with Honda and Acura. In addition to the oft-promised and never delivered NSX-2, my 05 RL is the worst car I've ever owned. Yesterday, the express-down feature on the driver-side window didn't work, so I tried the passenger-side window. It expressed-down, no problem. But it wouldn't go up. So I'm stuck with the front passenger window open for the next day or so. This makes about 6th or 7th unscheduled service call on that damn car in 3 years - and the 2nd one in the past 3 months.

If you need a mini-van or practical/economy car, you can't beat Honda. If you want something with luxury, style or excitement, look elsewhere.

Also, Honda F1 was dead-last (out of 16 cars) at testing at Valencia today. Off the leading pace of a Ferrari by 3+ seconds. Looks like it might be another long year for Honda F1.

Personally I think they should go with a V8 I am sure they can get the power they want out of that, plus its lighter(Lighter, more of what the original NSX was about) Honda/Acura need to look at what made the original NSX(and Type R) great Sports cars, and try to model it the next car after it.

Absolutely. Both Ferrari and Corvette are talking/planning for their next-gen cars to have smaller engines, less power, but higher power-weight ratios. GM just killed its next-gen overhead cam V8 in favor of super high HP V6's. The next gen Vette is targetted to have a smaller V8.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080122/FREE/556513324/1065

Same with Ferrari.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070629/FREE/70626011&SearchID=73306347287012

If Honda comes out with a V10 in 2010 or 2011, the market will poo-poo it just on the anti-gree basis. Can you imagine GM and Ferrari beating Honda to the punch WRT green high performance engines? The Honda NSX design team is so lost...

That's the road I have gone down. I still miss my NSX though.

Here is the question they need to ask themselves...what other sports car invokes passion that has the engine in the front?

The engine in a sports car belongs in the rear end of story. On the other hand I won't be surprised if Nissan is running cars this year in the NASCAR races.

Absolutely. Both Ferrari and Corvette are talking/planning for their next-gen cars to have smaller engines, less power, but higher power-weight ratios. GM just killed its next-gen overhead cam V8 in favor of super high HP V6's. The next gen Vette is targetted to have a smaller V8.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080122/FREE/556513324/1065

Same with Ferrari.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070629/FREE/70626011&SearchID=73306347287012

If Honda comes out with a V10 in 2010 or 2011, the market will poo-poo it just on the anti-gree basis. Can you imagine GM and Ferrari beating Honda to the punch WRT green high performance engines? The Honda NSX design team is so lost...

Right! by the time Honda comes out with a V-10 super car V-10 will be available as an option in low end production cars.

Back