• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

NSX sat for 1 year

I'm interested in purchasing a 1991 NSX that been owned since 1994 (he's the second), pampered weekend car. However it has not been driven since summer 2004, except to run the engine occasionally, but mot moved. It was not properly stored and has 65,000 miles.Anything I should look for from sitting so long, other than the usual issues? Thank you.

Sitting a year is not unusual. Things to look for include the battery (make sure the car starts), and the fluids should be changed if they haven't been changed for a year. If it still has the original timing belt and cooling system hoses, I would recommend changing those, but I would do so for any '91, even one that has not been sitting for a year. Other things I would look at (again, on any '91) include the snap ring status (you need to check the tranny number, although a VIN less than MT002500 means that it is unlikely to be in the snap ring range) and the window regulator status (whether the fix-it thingies or upgraded regulators have been installed). If you are not familiar with these items, check the Troubleshooting area of the NSX FAQ.

What do you mean when you say that it has not been stored properly?

Thanks much for the reply. What about clutch issues?
"not stored properly" means he did not plan to store it for an extended period , it just turned out that way.

meeks said:
What about clutch issues?
I wouldn't expect any clutch issues to result from the car sitting for a year.

meeks said:
"not stored properly" means he did not plan to store it for an extended period , it just turned out that way.
That's not necessarily a problem. For example, the only special thing I do when I stop using my car for 5-6 months in the winter is to make sure the battery maintainer is plugged in, to keep the battery from dying.

Back