• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Slow?

Hi,

I'm looking into buying an NSX. So far I drove two of them. Is it me or is the car kinda slow? I didn't take it on the freeway, just drove around the streets locally. Only hitting 3rd gear. Are the fast gears 3rd and 4th? or the cars I'm driving jacked up? Do I have to take it up to like 4k RPM and up?

It's you.............:wink:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/79e92gweC_s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hP4tJdxtyDg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

p.s. and that was on oem street tires

Last edited:
The NSX slow? :biggrin: Maybe relatively "slow" compared to modern supercar performance, its never slow in my book :wink:. Nice videos!

Hi,

I'm looking into buying an NSX. So far I drove two of them. Is it me or is the car kinda slow? I didn't take it on the freeway, just drove around the streets locally. Only hitting 3rd gear. Are the fast gears 3rd and 4th? or the cars I'm driving jacked up? Do I have to take it up to like 4k RPM and up?

what kinda car isn't slow if you're driving like a grandma??? :redface:

God forbid you hit 4K rpm????:rolleyes:

really???

he was shifting at 2K if they were stick LOL

I let someone drive my car the other day with me in it, they were shifting at 2500 rpm, I was like let it ride, they are like are you sure I am like yeah let it ride to 6-7 feel that f-ing power, LOL

they did and loved it, couldnt believe the pull it has stock,

also the OP were the cars you test drove Auto's?

go test drive 1 just one with a SC or turbo manual tranny. you will eat your words.

Compared to what?

NSX isn't about running the 1320, it's about the overall experience.

Last edited:
While it is far from a rocket on wheels, it should never fail to put a smile on your face.

If it does not put a smile on your face you are missing the point and are probably in the wrong car.

While it is far from a rocket on wheels, it should never fail to put a smile on your face.

If it does not put a smile on your face you are missing the point and are probably in the wrong car.

+1

If what you're really after is the sensation of absolute raw "speed", I think the NSX is the wrong car. You need a torque monster for that feeling on the street.

Get a Gen II Viper or a Corvette Z06. They will "feel" fast.

I had a supercharged Solara, plus driving my brothers STI. I guess I'm used to waiting for the boost to kick in. Once the boost kicks in, I have to shift pretty fast.(Boost kicks in around 3500) I'll give it one more test drive, push it to 7k rpm.

push it to 7k rpm.

Right away this is the wrong way to think about an NSX.

Most cars have to be "pushed" to 7K, if they can get there at all.
The NSX loves to run in the 5 - 8 K range. Get the RPMs up and keep them there. You will not think it is slow.

If you run it right, you will not need more then three gears.
If you do, you should be on a track.

A bit slow, comparing to, 450+HP cars, I think.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sLUBRja_UrA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Car on straight pipes and exhaust, basically stock.

:)

im at 7.5 all the time red light to red light to red light

I let it ride.......

yeah my MPG is like 10 but F-it as I dont care if gas prices go to 100 bucks a gallon.

Oscar, did you have your TCS on? if you try that same run with the TCS off you will have a better start, and a Higher top speed.

bet you could have gotten it up to 175

my top with the TCS on was 169

then my second try was 174 with TCS off. but had to slow down as the speed limit was 70

I had a supercharged Solara, plus driving my brothers STI. I guess I'm used to waiting for the boost to kick in. Once the boost kicks in, I have to shift pretty fast.(Boost kicks in around 3500) I'll give it one more test drive, push it to 7k rpm.

If you want straight line speed the NSX is not for you. There are plenty of high hp cars for that. No one on this board settled for the NSX because they could not afford a STI.

Aaron94T,,

+1 on that I wouldnt want an STI, even if you gave me the keys for free.

now if it had parts from a Nasa Booster rocket maybe

I know what you mean. If you're putting around city streets under 4k RPM, yea, it'll feel pretty tame. The torque just isn't impressive down low like that, especially with the unusually long 2nd gear. Past 5k it'll get interesting :)

As a comparison, my MR2 feels a lot faster in the low and mid-range of the RPM range, due to the short gears and the torque-y turbo. But the upshifts come quickly and the car soon runs out of steam. I know if I put the two next to each other, my NSX would quickly walk away from the '2.

Anyway my point is not to compare NSX vs. whatever, just saying that different cars have different torque curves and gear ratios, and this is what gives you the "feel" of acceleration, and can sometimes be misleading. Give it another chance, and drive it like it was meant to be driven :)

Not to mention that the tall 2nd gear in early cars makes it feel slower in town. Start adding bigger/heavier wheels/tires and it even feels slower.

Oscar, did you have your TCS on? if you try that same run with the TCS off you will have a better start, and a Higher top speed.

then my second try was 174 with TCS off. but had to slow down as the speed limit was 70

I think it was a standing mile not a flat out run hence the lower speed.

BTW: 174 in a 70 is a bit insane

I always drive with the TC off, only when it rains I keep it on, and yes, on the prior event (2 mile instead 1), I did hit 175 more or less, in fact, I went north of 170 @ least 5 times in almost 3 years, one time I got passed by a Murci like I was standing still, @ 170+ :eek: ...

Oscar

Do what I do. I have a 2008 Honda Fit as my daily driver, all of 109 HP. I take the NSX out on the weekends it is like I am in a rocket ship.
My NSX is bone stock. I love the exhaust note. Barely there at low rpm, but such a nice note when you get above 5k. You can get much, much faster cars for less money than an NSX.

Do what I do. I have a 2008 Honda Fit as my daily driver, all of 109 HP. I take the NSX out on the weekends it is like I am in a rocket ship.
My NSX is bone stock. I love the exhaust note. Barely there at low rpm, but such a nice note when you get above 5k. You can get much, much faster cars for less money than an NSX.

Haha that's at the top of my list of cars I'm considering for my next daily driver...

I know what you mean. The first couple nsx's I drove where not as fast as I thought they would be. Then I drove a supercharged nsx. Big difference! It makes the car feel more like the way you would expect it to be.

Back