• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

[1st Gen] NSX Spoon Sports Racing Brake Caliper Kit - 4 Pot - In Stock

I have a set of these on my nsx. I just did them maybe 2-3 months ago. The calipers i got are TSX/ACCORD Calipers. Bolted on directly. na1 people will need to use na2 front rotors to fit, and s2000 pads.

Do you have the part numbers of the calipers you used? Also, can someone measure the thickness of the caliper to see how much space you need? From rotor face to edge of caliper???

Thanks!

Last edited:
^ that's the same part number used for tsx/accord and 8th gen civics I believe.

9956117724_f905b1dc43_o.jpg

Before I put the Spoon calipers on mine (which you have shared the link), there was never a caliper for the NSX. I was in emails with OPAK racing trying to figure out what set would work on my car. After a lot of research, I found a set that would work (euro accord).

I originally bought S2000 calipers but since they were a rear mounted caliper on the knuckle, the pistons inside the caliper were in the wrong place (there is a small piston and a larger one). Someone said in my thread that you may be able to just relocate the hardline to the opposite end of the caliper. That may work but I am not 100%

For reference

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-g...nce-between-spoon-mbf-spoon-mbr-calipers.html

Last edited:
Yes, same caliper but for each vehicle I'm sure there is a specific bracket set to be used. Not all of the calipers have identical fitment from different vehicles.

I'm running this setup as well. The Spoon Calipers definately will not clear stock calipers. I can verify that +34 offset on 17x7.5 will clear the calipers. That is the front rim size on the Spoon NSX-R GT (Rays/Prodrive wheel) and the size/offset I am running now.

The benifit of running Spoon/Nissin calipers over going with a BBK is they are more compact so they lighter in weight, variety of street/semi-race/race pads to choose from (not just race pads which are generally noisy and could be too aggressive for street driving), monoblock (Unless you spend mega $$$ most BBKs are 2-piece, not monoblocks), anodized (Disappates heat better than paint), OEM system compatable for 97-04 (no larger rears calipers required to balance brake bias, and no aftermarket proportioning valve needed).

Last edited:
The Spoon calipers have 42.85mm and 38.18mm pistons.

Stock:
'91-96: Front 40 mm and 36 mm; Rear 43 mm.
'97-04: Front 40 mm and 34 mm; Rear 48 mm.

Since these are made for other cars, wouldn't brake bias on these calipers be incorrect for the NSX?

Technically yes, the brake bias will change due to an increase in clamping force of the fronts mainly because of the increase piston size, area and number.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/brake-system-and-upgrade-selection
Clamping force: The clamping force of a caliper is the force exerted on the disc by the caliper pistons. Measured in pounds clamping force, it is the product of brake line pressure, in psi, multiplied by the total piston area of the caliper in square inches. This is true whether the caliper is of fixed or floating design. Increasing the pad area will not increase the clamping force.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but it would seem that the Spoon calipers have 2 pistons of each size (for 4 pot):
(pi(0.5*42.85mm)^2)*2 + (pi(0.5*38.18mm)^2)*2 = (1442)*2 + (1145)*2 = 5174 mm^2 of piston area

Stocks would be only 2 pistons:
91-96: (pi(0.5*40mm)^2) + (pi(0.5*36mm)^2) = 1257 + 1018 = 2275 mm^2 of piston area
97-05: (pi(0.5*40mm)^2) + (pi(0.5*34mm)^2) = 1257 + 908 = 2165 mm^2 of piston area

Assuming the brake line pressure remains constant, the clamping force will be over twice the amount of the OEM calipers in both instances thereby drastically changing the brake bias to the front.

The bias isn't OEM or close to OEM spec. However, whether the bias is "incorrect" though is up for debate.

Last edited:
I'm running this setup as well. The Spoon Calipers definately will not clear stock calipers. I can verify that +34 offset on 17x7.5 will clear the calipers. That is the front rim size on the Spoon NSX-R GT (Rays/Prodrive wheel) and the size/offset I am running now.

The benifit of running Spoon/Nissin calipers over going with a BBK is they are more compact so they lighter in weight, variety of street/semi-race/race pads to choose from (not just race pads which are generally noisy and could be too aggressive for street driving), monoblock (Unless you spend mega $$$ most BBKs are 2-piece, not monoblocks), anodized (Disappates heat better than paint), OEM system compatable for 97-04 (no larger rears calipers required to balance brake bias, and no aftermarket proportioning valve needed).

thank you very much for the details. so the spoon calipers are bigger and "thicker" just as i thought and won't clear stock wheels.

but i wouldn't just rely on the 17x7.5 +34. clearing bbk or not mostly relies on the disk type of the wheel. it has to be high disk setup (so the spokes curve out for clearance) in order to clear calipers. two wheels can have the same width and offset, but with high disk vs low disk and one will clear bbk one won't

Further discussing the actual brake bias effects:

OEM 91-96 - 61.6%
OEM 97+ - 54%
OEM 02+ Type R - 55%
Spoon front caliper 298mm rotor, 91-96 rear caliper on 282mm rotors - ~80%
Spoon front caliper 298mm rotor, 91-96 rear caliper on 303mm rotors - ~78%
Spoon front caliper 298mm rotor, 97+ rear caliper on 303mm rotors - ~74%

Basically what I'm saying is if you have a 97-04 setup you can bolt these calipers up and won't have front wheel lock up issues.
Buy a Stoptech, Brembo, AP, RB, etc front BBK kit with larger rotors alone and you'll encounter some real world bias issues.

thank you very much for the details. so the spoon calipers are bigger and "thicker" just as i thought and won't clear stock wheels.

but i wouldn't just rely on the 17x7.5 +34. clearing bbk or not mostly relies on the disk type of the wheel. it has to be high disk setup (so the spokes curve out for clearance) in order to clear calipers. two wheels can have the same width and offset, but with high disk vs low disk and one will clear bbk one won't

You're welcome.

I agree that different spoke shapes can have an effect on caliper clearance. Just wanted to provide a baseline that works without having to go with outrageously low offset wheels or run spacers.

Rays/Prodrive GC-07J wheels are one of the straightest spoke design wheels out there so since other various wheel designs curve outward from the hub and curve in towards the lip you would generally have more clearance with a different wheel, or no difference at all.

Since Spoon calipers use stock 97+ rotors that don't extend the caliper out to the far edge of inner wheel barrell of a 17" wheel, the spokes curving back inwards towards the rim's lip area won't matter either since the caliper is position toward the midway point of the hub and outter lip. Not going to say every wheel ever made in that size will clear but I'd say you'd be pretty safe unless you have a extremely obscure designed wheel.

For BBK kits with larger diameter rotors that position the calipers to the inner barrel of the wheel it's a different story.

Last edited:
Since these are made for other cars, wouldn't brake bias on these calipers be incorrect for the NSX?

It may be up for debate, however these are the same calipers used on all of the Spoon NSX-R cars. I don't think I've ever heard of a bad Spoon part that was genuine. Every thing they make does exactly what it is designed to do, and with the highest quality materials.

It may be up for debate, however these are the same calipers used on all of the Spoon NSX-R cars. I don't think I've ever heard of a bad Spoon part that was genuine. Every thing they make does exactly what it is designed to do, and with the highest quality materials.
I don't think anybody's questioning the level of quality of Spoon parts. But rather side effects for drop in replacement without adjusting brake bias. I'm pretty sure Spoon NSX-R is running adjusted spring in proportioning valve to compensate for deviated clamping forces.

Last edited:
Basically what I'm saying is if you have a 97-04 setup you can bolt these calipers up and won't have front wheel lock up issues.
Buy a Stoptech, Brembo, AP, RB, etc front BBK kit with larger rotors alone and you'll encounter some real world bias issues.

You're welcome.

I agree that different spoke shapes can have an effect on caliper clearance. Just wanted to provide a baseline that works without having to go with outrageously low offset wheels or run spacers.

Rays/Prodrive GC-07J wheels are one of the straightest spoke design wheels out there so since other various wheel designs curve outward from the hub and curve in towards the lip you would generally have more clearance with a different wheel, or no difference at all.

Since Spoon calipers use stock 97+ rotors that don't extend the caliper out to the far edge of inner wheel barrell of a 17" wheel, the spokes curving back inwards towards the rim's lip area won't matter either since the caliper is position toward the midway point of the hub and outter lip. Not going to say every wheel ever made in that size will clear but I'd say you'd be pretty safe unless you have a extremely obscure designed wheel.

For BBK kits with larger diameter rotors that position the calipers to the inner barrel of the wheel it's a different story.

you are in LA? i wish i can test fit my wheels on someone's car with the spoon calipers and see if it fits. i refuse to run spacers :(

Brake Caliper Part #45020-MBF-G00/G01

^ that's the same part number used for tsx/accord and 8th gen civics I believe.

9956117724_f905b1dc43_o.jpg

Yes, same part number as i used on my car

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have the part numbers of the calipers you used? Also, can someone measure the thickness of the caliper to see how much space you need? From rotor face to edge of caliper???

Thanks!
^^^

I installed my spoon caliper and now my brake light/ abs light/ tcs light are on. Just crossing my fingers if you have a solution?

Thanks
- Sam

Is there any way someone with this setup can provide me the brake clearance measurements? We are doing a set of wheels for a customer who wants to run this setup eventually so we need to verify clearance before we have the wheels built. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Brake diagram.jpg

[MENTION=13372]GT Theory[/MENTION] has anyone answered this for you, I will be working on my car tomorrow so can do this then

[MENTION=13372]GT Theory[/MENTION] has anyone answered this for you, I will be working on my car tomorrow so can do this then
Thanks [MENTION=24046]scammy[/MENTION], the customer was able to get them installed and get the measurements. I will post them for future reference, these are about 8mm wider than the factory front caliper.

On my car I am running a set from Racing Brake, with the front rotors increased from 298 to 324 mm and the rears from 300 to 330 mm.

In both cases I am running the OEM calipers with the extended caliper brackets from Racing Brake to make them fit over the larger rotors.

Would these Spoon calipers fit on the same extended brackets and be used on the larger front rotors?

Back