• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

nsx "subwoofer" enclosure

im wondering if anyone has any good pics of this thing. im looking at doing an audio system install and am wondering how adaptable the plastic casing is. i see mark offers an enclosure for $400 but im wondering if its possible to take the stock one, tear the innards out, cut a large hole, stick a 10" driver in it and seal it up well and save myself $400
smile.gif
. i'd need something around 0.8 cu ft for the driver im looking at using. figured id check here before i spent the time to actually go and pull it out of the car in the hot sun. thanks!

http://www.agonyguild.com/nsx/audio/

Go check that out ...

To answer yer question somewhat straight forward.

No, you can't cut a big hole and stick another sub in it, the enclosure isn't really designed for that.

Either replace it with something custom, or relocate the subwoofer in general.

I personally had a box fiberglassed into my floor area, so I could avoid losing foot room for the passenger.

-B

thanks for the link, i know the stock box is not DESIGNED for that, i just wanted to find out if it could be ADAPTED for that
smile.gif
. it just needs to be sealed and have 0.8 cu ft.

incidentally i think you used the same sub im planning on, an illusion audio nd10 (gotta love SQ with such a minimal mounting depth) and possibly also similar separates. my dynaudios were toasted and i was forced to eat the cost (my installer nor dynaudio would help and i cant afford another set) so im considering mb quart as one of the alternatives and am looking at a set of QM 218.03CX with musicomp xovers. the other alternative is diamond audio hex s600s.

is the sub box you made complex (ie molded and fitted fiberglass to the nsx footwell shape or would it be reasonably easy to duplicate with just the dimensions... and if so do you have them?
smile.gif
). thanks for the pointers!

Originally posted by BoneZ:
http://www.agonyguild.com/nsx/audio/

No, you can't cut a big hole and stick another sub in it, the enclosure isn't really designed for that.

How about the door enclosures? Are the speakers a standard size/mounting pattern that you can just replace them, and drive them with an aftermarket amp? Or do you have to fabricate new door enclosures as well?

Nice install, BTW. The Empeg/RioCar is pretty nifty.

from what ive seen looking at the pics here and from the install faq for dali's golden ears setup, it appears that basically you need to mount the speakers to something that you will have to fabricate then fasten that down to the inside of the door. shouldnt be too difficult but its not as easy as just dropping a 6.5" driver in to replace the stock one and screwing it down. the stock thing youre replacing looks like a large plastic housing that holds the bose driver and amp. maybe you could use that and hack it up to mount the new drivers. thats sort of my plan anyway, reuse whatever i can even if it means destroying the piece of crap audio components that came in the car (especially since they're at the point when everything is starting to fail anyway).

Originally posted by robr:

is the sub box you made complex (ie molded and fitted fiberglass to the nsx footwell shape or would it be reasonably easy to duplicate with just the dimensions... and if so do you have them?
smile.gif
). thanks for the pointers!

Call Craig Hardy at 510-455-1161. He built the box for Bone Z. He sells them for NSX owners for reasonable price. Tell him I sent ya.

thanks! this is the same guy thats doing the replacement dash panels as i recall. he does really nice work from everything ive seen. ill drop him a line.

I have added some more photos to show more detail of how the subwoofer box was built, along with the door panel.

The head unit also has some minor revisions since its first install. The buttons are now more flush and the buttons are painted to match, instead of being gray and standing out. This is reflected in the new photos.

The box is a custom fiberglass box, molded to the floor with standard MDF wood used as the sides/front.

The door panel baffle is also just standard MDF wood, cut in a shape to fit the stock door, and painted black.

Nothing too complex, but works fantastic
smile.gif

Craig Hardy did all of the work. He can be reached at 510-455-1161.

-B

[This message has been edited by BoneZ (edited 26 June 2002).]

Back