• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Twin Turbo: 12.04 @ 118.4mph!

Earlier today I took my NSX TT to CA Speedway (they recently opened up a 1/4 mile dragstrip there). I went with Sam, a fellow NSX'er with a Silver NSX (Comptech SC, high-boost kit, headers, exhaust, test pipes, intake, etc). He brought a friend w/ an 01 Vette w/ aftermarket exhaust.

This was my first time drag racing my NSX since it was stock.. The results were pretty exciting for me
smile.gif

The slowest of the 3 runs was a 12.24 at about 117mph. (It was mid-day & pretty hot, and in trying to keep traction I bogged the launch).

Here's the info from my best run:

12.04 @ 118.35mph
1.955 60-foot time
7.86 1/8th mile @ 93.57mph

I ran on street tires (SO2's). Sam was on SO3's.

Here's the part that impressed me the most - I got the times with my fuel tank almost 2/3rd's full.. of 91 octane pump gas!.. I raced the car exactly as I run it on the street.. If only I woulda run with less gas in the tank, or with higher octane... That 12.04 coulda easily become an 11!..

It still feels like there's better timeslips to be found just by driving the car better.. I was so mindful of spinning the tires in first gear, I typically found myself with traction but with my foot not all the way into the gas (when it should have been)..

There was a brand new Z06 Vette there, I think he ran low 13's/high 12's. The 01 Vette w/ exhaust ran mid 13's.

Sam ran a 12.7 and a 12.9 I believe.. Our 60 foot times (launches) were pretty much comparable.. Though his 91 is lighter, that 5 speed tranny no doubt slowed him down noticeably.

Our NSX's drew a lot of attention there.. Twas a fun day..

Marc
97 NSX-T TT

[This message has been edited by SpeedDemon (edited 07 October 2001).]

Great job. In my '91 TT, I ran a best of 11.99@119 at Gateway a few years ago. Other than running race unleaded (about 1/4 tank), and using AO32Rs on old 16" stock rims, I run the same set-up on the street. In today's age: There's no substitution for forced induction :)

Congrats!

That's awesome! An NSX running (or possibly running) 11s wth just over 400HP is fantastic. Wish I could have been there this weekend.

Nice runs, but be careful what you wish for... If you break 12 seconds you may need a roll bar to continue (depending on the venue).

If I ever got my NSX fast enough to break the 12 second barrier and needed a rollbar, I would have a HUGE grin on my face.
biggrin.gif

Now you really have to take me for a spin Marc!

Thanks everyone
smile.gif

Lud: a couple track officials at the timing booth came over after the 12.04 and warned me that I'd probably need a rollcage or I'd have to be kicked off the track.. My reaction was pretty much the same as Ilya's thought.. I told them it would totally make my day and I'd like nothing better than to be kicked off the track for running an 11
smile.gif
.. (They got a chuckle out of that).

NetNSX - I haven't dynoed yet.. I should try to find a local one with decent prices one of these days and see what the car is doing, huh?..

Originally posted by sjs:
Well done! I guess you got your boost issues sorted out. Any idea what the max boost is running now?

sjs - yeah, it just took a little tweaking. My boost averages around 5psi. Initially I get a spike into the 6's which quickly settles into the 5's, and drops to the 4's in the upper RPM range. I could still benefit from tweaking my boost settings more (to get the boost curve flatter) but it's definitely on the safer side by allowing less boost at high rpm.. The lower boost was one of the reasons I wasn't expecting to get the 12.0/12.2's my first time out w/ the modified car!

Marc

[This message has been edited by SpeedDemon (edited 08 October 2001).]

Marc
Wow looks like things are coming together pretty well!!! Your 60ft. times at 1.9955, a near 2 full seconds and still run 12.04!!! Are you kidding me...that is 11 seconds!!!It's all in your launch now, that's why the officials approached you! Sometimes it's best to keep the gas tank full on turboed cars because you need the weight for traction and it creates load which enables you to build boost much faster. And remember your turbos are still undersized, ha,ha... who are you trying to fool??? You're just a BADASS dude.... forget the damn dyno!!!Congratulations!!!

That is awesome!!! Congratulations...

I'll bet all the folks at the track were amazed and gawking at your NSX. I wonder how the vette guys felt when they saw your NSX pull off that kind of run.

I recall unknowingly taking my '95M3 to the drag strip during an "F-Body Shootout" event. I was surrounded by Camaro owners after I pulled off a 14.0@99 run. They refused to believe a "sedan" could get that kind of timeslip. It was fun...

Originally posted by NSXtypeR:
did you do anything to the internals of the engine? imagine the face of a viper owner..

No internal mods - the engine is totally stock (as is the tranny/gears), that's all I added was the bolt-on turbo kit (which includes its own dual k&n intakes, and borla exhaust system).

Yeah (viper owner's face)
smile.gif
. The '01 Vette guy seemed surprised when I pulled away from him on the freeway..

8000RPM- that's one of the best parts (surprisingly people who just "can't believe it"!).

Justin - A local Eclipse tuner who I've worked with for many years did the install. They ended up putting me to work doing a lot of it myself.. I wasn't thrilled at the time (it took me longer) but I'm thankful for it, I learned a lot of new skills..

Marc

What tt kit is it?? Any links on info. Is it the Bell TT kit?? How would this compare to the supercharger kit now being offered by science of speed? What rwh do you think you are running??

Sorry for all the q's just have a currious mind :)

------------------
Flexer

RX7 Man

Back