• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Valve Adjustment Training Video

An excellent video - more for its entertainment value than education value.

Of the 4:43 length of the video, I think there was about :30 dedicated to actual valve adjustment. Much easier to do the adjustment with the engine out of the car. I noticed that even though the inspection mirror was included in the 'provided tools', the video producers elected not to bother with the annoying details on why you might need that mirror.

The video producers did spend about :30 showing the tech spreading the rear fender cover over the back of the NSX. That was a nice touch that most dealerships seem to have forgotten about!

nice find,butch, thanks for posting.

I liked that they actually mentioned rechecking after you torqued the adjustment bolt down, I have had to go back time to time to readjust it after tightening things up. The one thing that would have been nice would be to show how to check the LMA's. I typically perform this check during a valve adjustment;). Not sure when this was created, maybe before any LMA failures:).

Regards,
LarryB

I can assure you if you tighten the lock nut without still holding the adjuster screw so that it doesn't move, the valve adjustment will tighten up.

i watched the credits, they say copyrighted in 1990 by American Honda Motor Co., so yes, before any lma failures.

I liked that they actually mentioned rechecking after you torqued the adjustment bolt down, I have had to go back time to time to readjust it after tightening things up. The one thing that would have been nice would be to show how to check the LMA's. I typically perform this check during a valve adjustment;). Not sure when this was created, maybe before any LMA failures:).

Regards,
LarryB

I can assure you if you tighten the lock nut without still holding the adjuster screw so that it doesn't move, the valve adjustment will tighten up.

Agreed. In the video they use a specific Honda tool, which I also use, and you can hold the adjustment while you tighten. Even then every once and a while I have to readjust it.....

Regards,
LarryB

I use the same one as well....we've been there and done that, several times Larry :)

Agreed. In the video they use a specific Honda tool, which I also use, and you can hold the adjustment while you tighten. Even then every once and a while I have to readjust it.....

Regards,
LarryB

Regards,
LarryB

It looked to me like the LMAs were checked during the part when it said, "before adjusting the valves a vtec inspection should always be performed."
The video shows the LMA going down and returning properly.

It looked to me like the LMAs were checked during the part when it said, "before adjusting the valves a vtec inspection should always be performed."
The video shows the LMA going down and returning properly.

My Bad:), I did miss that portion of the video! Although they do not really mention what exactly to inspect, with LMA failures the middle lobe gets stuck down for a second, then pops up.

Regards,
LarryB

In case someone is wondering what the sticky LMA look like…..

This is not the best video as the LMA spring tension was not consistent and all LMA were replaced later but at least, you can see how the LMA should react smoothly when compressed and also the movement of rocker arms.
While the mid rocker arm was pressed, the primary and the secondary arms should not move at all if the VTEC system was not activated.

Kaz

I can assure that the adjustment will be off after tightening the screw even if you hold the screw if you adjust them like in the video. :wink: You have to add the tolerance/play of the untightened screw/nut while finding the right feel for the resistance of the feeler gauge. Then you tighten the nut slightly and measure again and repeat the procedure until you have the right gap WITH the nut tightened.

Back