• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX versus Ferrari - Fun and Costs

I'm torn between a 328 and an NSX. Yes, I know they are different cars, but I like them both, and have a budget for only one.

I like the raw Ferrari feel, but I'm scared by potential repair and upkeep costs. The NSX has a reputation as a far easier car to maintain, but I've heard some horror stories as well.

So the question is: What has your experience been with upkeep and repairs for your NSX? My budget can work with a 1994-1996 car, but others have suggested that the newer cars are worth the extra premium.

How enjoyable and involving is your driving experiences with your NSX? Ever compare to Ferrari, or think about other brands?

Any help, with actual experiences please, will help me sort through the choices.

Thanks in advance.

but I've heard some horror stories as well.

I would like to know what kind of horror stories you've heard...

I've had my X for 2 years now...20k miles when first got it and currently 32k+ miles. Nothing wrong so far...changed oil twice ($70ish total, I change oil myself). But the next oil change will need a oil pan gasket replacement and thats it...:smile:

Not sure what NSX horror stories you have heard....are they first hand stories?

I can't offer anything on the 328. But my 97 NSX has been completely reliable in the 20 months I've owned it. I had the TB/WP replaced for $1600 and bought tires. The TB/WP should be good for a long long time. The NSX is plenty visceral and equally beautiful.

NSX parts are fairly expensive but it doesn't need them often.

Thanks for the replies. First hand story of owner with timing belt problems - had it serviced from authorized dealership, within three years, belt failed, caused major engine damage.

Rear tire wear seems common, again first hand comments from two different owners, each getting 7K mile to 10K mile wear.

Another issue is clutch wear, but since driving styles vary it's hard to know the reason. Some repairs have been in the $1500+ range, at least according to one owner.

Some scattered problems with other components, but the engine repairs are my biggest concern, especially if I buy a 10-15 year old car. The point is that driving at 6K RPMS for each shift many put a lot more wear on the engine/drivetrain, and I don't know if the stories I'm hearing are common or not.

Most of the NSX horror stories I have heard came from bad service shops. The car is self is very reliable if taking care of.

I'm not sure why you're comparing the NSX to 328, if that's the case, get a S2000. It is faster and better handling than 328, cheaper to maintain, and a newer car.

Thanks for the replies. First hand story of owner with timing belt problems - had it serviced from authorized dealership, within three years, belt failed, caused major engine damage.

Rear tire wear seems common, again first hand comments from two different owners, each getting 7K mile to 10K mile wear.

Some scattered problems with other components, but the engine repairs are my biggest concern, especially if I buy a 10-15 year old car.

I've had my rear tires for a good 9-11k miles and they still have a good amount of tread on them. But then again, I don't track my car or do crazy 5G turns or burnouts. (don't know exact milage cause I had some other rims on for a little while)

Buy a warranty if you're concerned. I can guarantee there are more warranty companies out there that will accept an NSX than a Ferrari (I know cause I have a warranty on my powertrain, and I've seen other NSXs for sale with warranties). If it wasn't for my pesky warranty believe me.. .my engine would be tinkered with =] But just in case... you know..your timing belt breaks or something.

Hey brother...I would be comparing the NSX with a 348, 355 or a Testarosa. You will find that the NSX is more reliable...but the Ferrari does have some truely neat aspects to it...especially the 355.

Dam :cool: One of the X-men :cool:

Another issue is clutch wear, but since driving styles vary it's hard to know the reason. Some repairs have been in the $1500+ range, at least according to one owner.

Some scattered problems with other components, but the engine repairs are my biggest concern, especially if I buy a 10-15 year old car. The point is that driving at 6K RPMS for each shift many put a lot more wear on the engine/drivetrain, and I don't know if the stories I'm hearing are common or not.

Any you think the Ferrari has less problems? or cheaper to maintain? Drive a Ferrari the same amount of miles as an NSX and your expenses, headaches are triple or higher for the Ferrari. Maybe you dont hear much complaints about Ferraris because most have less than 15,000 miles in their entire existence. After paying for their first few Ferrari tuneups, the owners stop driving their Ferraris. :p

But if I had real money to burn... I'd get a Lamborghini

I am a relatively new owner at just shy of 2 years. So far I have spent only about a $1500 on true maintenence costs (which included a 60K mile service). My car has only failed to start on one occasion due to battery terminal corrosion (which was flagged during the pre-purchase inspection). It is extremly reliable and I am confident that it will provide over 200K of relatively trouble free miles.

The more expensive items are the TimingBelt/WaterPump, Clutch, and possible future A/C repairs, or perhaps an errant window regulator. More worthy of noting is the urge to add mods to the car to improve the looks, power and handling. I have spent $4-5K on those items and plan to spend more eventually.

I love my car and I only drive it occasionally, but when I do it is such a treat to drive!:biggrin: Crisp accelleration and agile cornering are the first things to notice. Ergonomic layout and comfort are realized soon afterwards. You can push the car pretty hard and it responds very well, or you can drive normal like you would an accord and you are amazed with how easy it is to drive. Long drives are a breeze, I have driven up to 12 hours in a day with short breaks. Driver Visibility is also very good with the bubble type cockpit, I have never had issues of someone in my blind spot (I am usually passing Lol) I think overall the reason these cars are so special is how well they are balanced with respect to what a driver is looking for.

The Early NSXs 91-93 have no power steering, and are the lightest. These have not been depreciating much over the last few years. It only has the 3.0L engine (NA1) and a 5 speed gearbox, but with Headers and exhaust with a good tune you can be making 265-270 Rwhp. In '95 they came out with the Targa Top. They give up roughly an inch of headroom, add weight to the car and are less rigid. For the price of a 3.2L NA2 with a 6 speed (1997+) you could do an '02 upgrade (Bumper, headlights, hood and rear valance) or get a supercharger. Lots of possibilities.

Hope this helps...

It sounds like you're looking at a newer NSX but just for a different point of view, I've had what I would say is a considerably higher than normal NSX repair history. First the back ground, I'm the 4th owner of a 1992 and I bought it for 25k with 98k miles on it (original ower had it until 85k). With that: I've spent over 10k on repairs (some that were my fault, like trying to put an 'refurbished' clutch in).

This basically covers it:
Ball Joints (left and right lower front and left lower rear) parts only $2k (wish I met Tim Poliniak earlier). I also can't confirm that they needed replacement but a reputable garage told me they did.
Clutch: Cost to me $4500, would have been 3500 if I didn't have a bad one installed first (includes slave cylinder and ball joint install). Wish I knew Larry B. a little sooner.
Trunk Struts: $80$
120k Service: $4k (included cv boots and some other things)
Door Lock Acuator (last week debacle) $600
Climate control went yesterday so eventually (Est. $150 thank to Brian K)
This amount is $10,330 after I deduct 1k for the clutch and my stupidity (although its clearly boundless).

I've put 25k miles on the car in 3.5 years. I love the car, but it hasn't been all roses for me financially. I've heard horror stories about Ferarri's too but there is a certain mystique. One day perhaps one will sleep next to the NSX. I still think I made what I believe to be the only choice for an afordable exotic. There is nothing in its price range that challenges it (including repair considerations).

Just a different perspective on a higher mileage NSX. ....she's also in snap-ring range. Didn't know about that prior either and I just keep praying. Fortuantely with Larry B. local to me, I sleep well.

Buy a warranty if you're concerned. I can guarantee there are more warranty companies out there that will accept an NSX than a Ferrari (I know cause I have a warranty on my powertrain, and I've seen other NSXs for sale with warranties)..

What company gives warranty on pre 02 NSX's or Ferraris? Warranty Direct will not warranty an NSX or Viper but will Warranty Ferrari's 01+. I personaly find it not necessary in warranting NSX but to each his own. WTD will even insure Boxters after $100 inspection, though engines fail any time any place as is wheres.lol

http://www.warrantydirect.com/ineligible_vehicles.asp

To the OP the 328 is the most reliable Ferrari, followed by Modena+. I find the NSX more rewarding in all regard and would not touch a Fcar unless its a F355+.

What company gives warranty on pre 02 NSX's or Ferraris? Warranty Direct will not warranty an NSX or Viper but will Warranty Ferrari's 01+. I personaly find it not necessary in warranting NSX but to each his own. WTD will even insure Boxters after $100 inspection, though engines fail any time any place as is wheres.lol

http://www.warrantydirect.com/ineligible_vehicles.asp

To the OP the 328 is the most reliable Ferrari, followed by Modena+. I find the NSX more rewarding in all regard and would not touch a Fcar unless its a F355+.

I hope you think twice about waranty direct... Actually, any warranty other than OEM and expect them do pay for anything. Look at their exclusion list! There are horror stories all over. They're not in it to warranty your car; they're in it to extract maxium dollars, provide minimum coverage and hire lawyers to write bullet-proof contracts while telling you "DENIED."

PS: If you give them your contact info, they will hound you forever! It pissed me off. I put in my # for a quote once... decided against it, and I kept getting phone calls over and over. I'm not kidding you. Phone calls at work and on my cell.

I'm torn between a 328 and an NSX. Yes, I know they are different cars, but I like them both, and have a budget for only one.

I like the raw Ferrari feel, but I'm scared by potential repair and upkeep costs. The NSX has a reputation as a far easier car to maintain, but I've heard some horror stories as well.

So the question is: What has your experience been with upkeep and repairs for your NSX? My budget can work with a 1994-1996 car, but others have suggested that the newer cars are worth the extra premium.

How enjoyable and involving is your driving experiences with your NSX? Ever compare to Ferrari, or think about other brands?

Any help, with actual experiences please, will help me sort through the choices.

Thanks in advance.

I too like the 328, but until I have the money for a 355 or a 512 TR, ill keep on saving.

As far as owning my nsx, Iv had it for four yrs

Cost me $6k for my 105 mile, major service. Other than that, its only been wear and tear items (tires, battery, main relay, one coolant hose, 02 Sensor). Iv only had to replace my front tires once, Iv had the replace the rears probably half a dozen times or soo....

It sounds like you're looking at a newer NSX but just for a different point of view, I've had what I would say is a considerably higher than normal NSX repair history. First the back ground, I'm the 4th owner of a 1992 and I bought it for 25k with 98k miles on it (original ower had it until 85k). With that: I've spent over 10k on repairs (some that were my fault, like trying to put an 'refurbished' clutch in).

This basically covers it:
Ball Joints (left and right lower front and left lower rear) parts only $2k (wish I met Tim Poliniak earlier). I also can't confirm that they needed replacement but a reputable garage told me they did.
Clutch: Cost to me $4500, would have been 3500 if I didn't have a bad one installed first (includes slave cylinder and ball joint install). Wish I knew Larry B. a little sooner.
Trunk Struts: $80$
120k Service: $4k (included cv boots and some other things)
Door Lock Acuator (last week debacle) $600
Climate control went yesterday so eventually (Est. $150 thank to Brian K)
This amount is $10,330 after I deduct 1k for the clutch and my stupidity (although its clearly boundless).

I've put 25k miles on the car in 3.5 years. I love the car, but it hasn't been all roses for me financially. I've heard horror stories about Ferarri's too but there is a certain mystique. One day perhaps one will sleep next to the NSX. I still think I made what I believe to be the only choice for an afordable exotic. There is nothing in its price range that challenges it (including repair considerations).

Just a different perspective on a higher mileage NSX. ....she's also in snap-ring range. Didn't know about that prior either and I just keep praying. Fortuantely with Larry B. local to me, I sleep well.

All that on a car with over 100k miles does not sound too bad to me (and with some admitted mistakes along the way)....can you imagine the costs incurred on any F car with over 100k miles????:eek:

I hope you think twice about waranty direct... Actually, any warranty other than OEM and expect them do pay for anything. Look at their exclusion list! There are horror stories all over. They're not in it to warranty your car; they're in it to extract maxium dollars, provide minimum coverage and hire lawyers to write bullet-proof contracts while telling you "DENIED."

PS: If you give them your contact info, they will hound you forever! It pissed me off. I put in my # for a quote once... decided against it, and I kept getting phone calls over and over. I'm not kidding you. Phone calls at work and on my cell.

I have never purchased a warranty. I do see your point about WTD, the exclusion list on service parts are pretty much stated with different package options as usual the more you pay the more is covered. I agree I don't think I will purchase a warranty outside the dealer-manufacturer.

do yourself a huge favor and inquire about the cost of major tune-up and clutch work on 328. last time i heard, my friend paid in excess of $8k for valve adjustment, timing belt etc.

Rear tire wear is "normal" as per the factory toe-in specification. There is a lot of history on this issue - even a class action lawsuit. Honda changed the toe-in spec after the lawsuit was settled (maybe 1994?). You can of course have the toe-in set to whatever you want.

I have been on this site for two years and have not seen a single timing belt problem. The NSX mechanic at Flatiron Acura in Colorado that did my PPI said he has never seen a TB failure in 100s of NSXs he has serviced for over a decade. I have my old TB and with < 30K miles but 9 years it is in remarkable condition.

Aren't most Ferrari TB rated for just 30K miles? The NA1 TBs are good for 7 yrs, 90K miles. The NA2 TB is 105K miles (I think).

I fear the cost of a clutch on my car. NA2 clutch replacement seems to cost about $4K. But it seems like many here have gotten over 60K on their original.

I forgot that I replaced my thermostat. That seems to be a common problem with NSXs. The replacement part is better than the original. I replaced myself for the cost of the part and coolant (maybe $60 total). I also replaced the trunk gas struts.

I don't shift at 6K very often. I am not afraid to run the engine to 8K - I do whenever I have an opportunity. But my shifts in daily driving are in the 3K range.

My '91 NSX had 149K and has passed both compression & leak down tests with flying colors. Now try to find a 328 with the same results...

If your budget allots for a 94-96 NSX, it would behoove you not to get a 328 unless its simply your garage queen.

Thanks to all for the comments - very helpful.

My desire for a Ferrari is emotional, not rational. I've wanted one for 40 years and instead of buying one I've bought other cars that were "like a Ferrari". Net result, 40 years and 28 cars later still haven't owned a Ferrari and none of them were "like a Ferrari".

I fully appreciate the maintenance issues for the Ferrari, that's what is keeping me away. I can buy a very nice 1986-87 328 for $50K with all records and up to date services from a very reputable dealer. I just don't know if my expenses over the next three years will be $2,000 or $15,000.

Over the next five years I'm pretty certain that the NSX will cost less to maintain, but including depreciation the Ferrari may be an equal net cost. The Ferrari will be a weekend toy, I'm considering driving the NSX daily - about 10K miles a year.

So the question to answer for me is: How much fun is your NSX to drive? Does it "stir the blood" the way you hoped it would?

By the way, given my desire for a daily driver, 10-12K miles a year, what NSX is the right one for me? The 1994-96, or something newer?

Thanks again for the education and helpful comments.

Obviously daily driving the NSX will increase the maintence costs and depreciation vs. the F-Car sitting in the garage. So it is reasonable the net costs could be similar. But one car you actually get to drive and the other will just be pretty to look at. Everyone knows the a ferrari is a big gamble when it comes to maintenence costs. Do you feel Lucky???:smile:

I bought mine as a weekend toy, but realistically I only drive it once or twice a month. So for me, YES! it does "stir the blood":biggrin: Especially on a twisty road or on the freeway. I will say that I don't like driving it in traffic or in town. The clutch is pretty stiff and my left leg gets tired. It is geared for top end and seems to like cruising above 80mph...but it feels more like 55mph.

If your worried about depreciation, then I think an early car is the way to go as the maintenece costs will be the same with less depreciation. Not many people want a high mile late model NSX whereas high mile early cars with up to date maintenence still fetch somewhere around $23-25K. You can't go wrong.

Just be sure to get a pre-purchase inspection by a reputable NSX tech and pay extra for a compression check and leak down test. Only buy a car with fully documented maintenence history and you will enjoy problem free ownership.

Good Luck

My desire for a Ferrari is emotional, not rational. I've wanted one for 40 years and instead of buying one I've bought other cars that were "like a Ferrari". Net result, 40 years and 28 cars later still haven't owned a Ferrari and none of them were "like a Ferrari".

I fully appreciate the maintenance issues for the Ferrari, that's what is keeping me away. I can buy a very nice 1986-87 328 for $50K with all records and up to date services from a very reputable dealer. I just don't know if my expenses over the next three years will be $2,000 or $15,000.

Over the next five years I'm pretty certain that the NSX will cost less to maintain, but including depreciation the Ferrari may be an equal net cost. The Ferrari will be a weekend toy, I'm considering driving the NSX daily - about 10K miles a year.

So the question to answer for me is: How much fun is your NSX to drive? Does it "stir the blood" the way you hoped it would?

By the way, given my desire for a daily driver, 10-12K miles a year, what NSX is the right one for me? The 1994-96, or something newer?

You don't need to give a reason to own a Ferrari, its built on racing heritage as was Honda from its start. Don't expect an Nsx to stir your blood under 6000rpm:biggrin: the 328 is nearly full 2 and half seconds slower to 60mph so there goes the fun right there. If your budget is $50k I would add another 10k to it and buy an F355 with major tune up done or buy an Nsx and save some. You have waited long enough buy something more modern than a 328.

I really don't see how you can lose buying a good, well maintained example of either car.

I'd suggest you drive both and buy the one that thrills you the most.
With either car if you keep it well maintained it will hold it's value very well.

When you get a itch for the other car and you will be able to sell, get back most of your money and go into the other car pretty easily.

Drive them both and decide because they are two totally different feeling cars.

...the 328 is nearly full 2 and half seconds slower to 60mph so there goes the fun right there. If your budget is $50k I would add another 10k to it and buy an F355 with major tune up done or buy an Nsx and save some. You have waited long enough buy something more modern than a 328.

+1

To figure out which NSX is right for you, since you would be driving it often, you gotta drive a few. The NSX wiki here does a great job at telling you the differences between the model years. Power steering, 5spd vs. 6spd, T-top vs. coupe, all of this has been explained and layed out in many many threads. There are plenty of NSX vs. Ferrari discussions as well around here to read up on.
Good luck!

FCars have always been on my want list for a long time as well. With all the cars that have come and gone, I could've paid for a new one in cash. But for me, such an exotic is a self-reward for a lifetime of achievements and hard work (which I'm saving for later).

Anyways, an Fcar will make a great addition to any stable, but will not take the place of my NSX ever--> It's more fun to drive than any car I've ever owned so far (even past M3, M5, 996 GT3). That's why I'm on my second NSX.

Back