• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX versus Ferrari - Fun and Costs

I traded my '01 red NSX for a '01 yellow Ferrari 360 Modena. They're very different cars (and the 360 cost quite a bit more). The NSX is well-balanced, great on the twisties, fun to drive; the Ferrari is...well, a Ferrari! A little more of a handful but has inspiring power and incredible exhaust note.

Now, the rest of the story: I just went back to the NSX with the purchase of an '04 Rio Yellow. Personally, when I own a really expensive car (and I've had a Lambo, Aston-Martin and Audi R8), I'm reluctant to drive it. I'm nervous about putting on too many miles for depreciation purposes and I don't want to collect more rock chips on the front. I'm also VERY paranoid about where to park it. Plus, there's nowhere here in LA to really open them up. The NSX is more moderately priced and therefore has fewer of these issues. It's a blast to drive, has no ownership headaches, looks fantastic. What's not to like??

I just went back to the NSX with the purchase of an '04 Rio Yellow. Personally, when I own a really expensive car (and I've had a Lambo, Aston-Martin and Audi R8), I'm reluctant to drive it. I'm nervous about putting on too many miles for depreciation purposes and I don't want to collect more rock chips on the front. I'm also VERY paranoid about where to park it. Plus, there's nowhere here in LA to really open them up. The NSX is more moderately priced and therefore has fewer of these issues. It's a blast to drive, has no ownership headaches, looks fantastic. What's not to like??

So did you get rid of the 360 to get the 2nd NSX? If so that says a lot to me.

Well, actually, it's a bit complicated. I'm a serial car collector -- I can't afford to have all the cars I want at once, so I get them in sequence! So I traded my '01 NSX for an 01 Ferrari 360 Modena. Traded the 360 on a '06 Lamborghini Gallardo (new; metallic red; e-gear); traded the Gallardo on a '07 Aston-Martin V8 Vantage (new; very rare speed yellow six-speed); traded the Vantage on a '08 Audi R8 (black with silver side blade, six-speed); sold the Audi and bought the '04 yellow NSX two days ago (and have a lot of change in my pocket).

I know...it's a sickness.

Oops, forgot one. Had a '06 convertible Vette (blue six speed) at the same time as the Lambo. Surprisingly nice car. I miss it, especially the heads-up feature.

Well, actually, it's a bit complicated. I'm a serial car collector -- I can't afford to have all the cars I want at once, so I get them in sequence! So I traded my '01 NSX for an 01 Ferrari 360 Modena. Traded the 360 on a '06 Lamborghini Gallardo (new; metallic red; e-gear); traded the Gallardo on a '07 Aston-Martin V8 Vantage (new; very rare speed yellow six-speed); traded the Vantage on a '08 Audi R8 (black with silver side blade, six-speed); sold the Audi and bought the '04 yellow NSX two days ago (and have a lot of change in my pocket).

Why did you sell the R8? I would think that would be a keeper??

Why did you sell the R8? I would think that would be a keeper??

The R8 was a tremendous car. I'll put a picture of it below (if I can figure out how). It was incredibly smooth, fast, responsive, and comfortable. The problem was I had to pay a LOT over list price to get one. They're very limited -- I think 147 being imported this year. With so much invested, I began worrying about depreciation. Somebody made me a good offer and I decided to bail and get the NSX, which is a more cost-effective sports car for me. I'd rather not fret over every stone chip and every mile I put on the odometer!

Attachments

• IMG_8666.jpg
    IMG_8666.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 126
Why haven't you driven the F355 in 3 months? I'm curious because I've thought about getting one for a weekend fun car (like look and sound better than 360, and cheaper) although I wouldn't expect any performance improvement over my 2005 NSX. Is it just not that much more fun?

car is up on my rack and the car is not me... i feel like a poser. im in my mind 20's, everyone thinks is my dad's car. :rolleyes: also it gets too much attention. im not ultra low key but i think the attention is unnessary.

anyways. my nsx fits me much better. i get to feel like a boy racer. :biggrin:

Wordman, I hope you have a dealers license! If not, doesn't tax cost you a ton? I guess if you trade them in thru a dealer its not as bad.

A lot of wrong numbers are being thrown around here, for the cost of specific maintenance and repair items as well as for the service intervals. Osiris corrected many of them in his post above. One more...

Clutch: Cost to me $4500, would have been 3500 if I didn't have a bad one installed first (includes slave cylinder and ball joint install).
That's not a typical cost, but replacing each ball joint generally runs around $1500 parts and labor, driving up your cost. The typical cost for a clutch replacement (without the ball joint, which is unrelated) is somewhere around $2500, parts and labor, for a '91-96 five-speed, and around $3500 for a '97-05 six-speed.

A lot of wrong numbers are being thrown around here, for the cost of specific maintenance and repair items as well as for the service intervals. Osiris corrected many of them in his post above. One more...

That's not a typical cost, but replacing each ball joint generally runs around $1500 parts and labor, driving up your cost. The typical cost for a clutch replacement (without the ball joint, which is unrelated) is somewhere around $2500, parts and labor, for a '91-96 five-speed, and around $3500 for a '97-05 six-speed.

Hi All and Hi Ken, I haven't been around here in a while. I sold my '97 Monte Carlo blue NSX to my brother in 2006 when I bought my first Ferrari 360 Modena. I loved that car! Had it for about 15 months and 5k miles with no problems whatsoever. Titanium over black interior with factory carbon fiber sport seats and six speed manual. Loads of fun, lots of power, fantastic handling and feedback and the attention you get when you drive one is intoxicating. I sold it in December '07 and bought a 2004 Challenge Stradale. For those not familiar, it is the "Zanardi" version of the 360. Stripped down, light weight, extra horsepower, 15 inch carbon ceramic brakes and an ultrafast F1 transmission (gear shift in 150 milliseconds). I have had zero problems with either car and have put about 5000 miles on each. I do get nervous driving them certain places but I would not worry about reliability with the modern cars. The older ones yes, and maintenance gets expensive but everyone should experience one of these cars, there is nothing like it.

You really can't go wrong with either one as long as you do your due diligence. Ferraris are very mileage sensitive as far as resale and make sure you get service records!

You sir are my HERO :cool:
At 40, I have only started with my car fixation. Maybe if I sell a kid or two...:biggrin:

I'm not sure where you are finding 355s for 60k but thats not happening. And if you do find one trust me its because it has issues. I had a 308 for 5 years and it was very reliable but still, they are expensive. Major service including the TB every 5 yrs or 30kmiles will set you back $3500-$4000 at a good independent. Its not the engine thats going to cost you a lot, well hopefully not. Its all the little things, slow windows, bad AC a sagging door hinge, leaking brake caliper. They are old cars now and just cost to upkeep. If you want the F car you should get it. I loved my 308 but am glad I sold it and bought the NSX. The NSX is fast, looks great, you hardly ever see them and its just nice every time I drive it I feel solid. I would take it on a trip anywhere. I took the 308 on an 1100 mile round trip and the car ran great. The problem was the WHOLE time I was driving it I was worried it would break down on the PA turnpike. When I got home to my driveway I was relieved. Get the Fcar so you can finally stop wondering. You'll love it. Then once it's out of your system get the NSX. You'll love that too. Good luck.

On Fchat one guy bought his with 50k miles $48k in VA and had major service completed black on black. If your not concerned about minor mods or mileage you can buy 355s in high 40's-50's all year long.

Here are 12 cars in the 50's-60's with service complete on 5 cars, 2 are salvage and others unknown.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=

On the 355 engine is the major failure with valve issues unless your going with 95's which has a 25% failure rate. To A preventative service runs about $12k not including TB etc, 5year major service runs about $10k.

Got any pix of all these cars? I love the R8 pic. I want a silver on silver one myself. My only problem with the car is it cost 2 times my vette and it isn't any faster... but it is fast enough to enjoy for a long time. The V10 will be wild. I am sure there will be a bunch of mods for the R8 to get it another 50HP. That engine has been around a while.

Last edited:
On Fchat one guy bought his with 50k miles $48k in VA and had major service completed black on black. If your not concerned about minor mods or mileage you can buy 355s in high 40's-50's all year long.

Here are 12 cars in the 50's-60's with service complete on 5 cars, 2 are salvage and others unknown.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=

On the 355 engine is the major failure with valve issues unless your going with 95's which has a 25% failure rate. To A preventative service runs about $12k not including TB etc, 5year major service runs about $10k.

would you touch a 355 in the 50k range?

big time problems. when i was looking for mine, i saw some in the 50k range. all had salvage or shady back ground.

if you only got 50k, and that's a stretch, go spend it on something else, 355 is not your cup of tea as the maintenance you'll need to do on a 355 in the 50k range will bring you back down to your income bracket real quick.

the valve guide issues from what i have read, 1995 has 0% faliure rate. non of the 355 that had valve guide issues where 1995s. they where all 96 and 97

i think 60-65k is where the best range of pricing for the 355 and thats getting a deal. average prices for the 355 in good condition is still 65-75K.

just like the nsx... im sure you can get an nsx for 15K$-20$k but is it a good idea?

Last edited:
Take out a second mortgage and get both! JK. I will have a ferrari some day and my previous standard was a 348 which just seems so outdated now. I think I will not be able to settle for anything less than a 360 now. I still got 5-10yrs before that will happen though so maybe my starndards will keep increasing until I die and then just owned a ferrari in my imagination. Well I at least I will always have an nsx. I think I will be burried in it when the time comes, no one can have it!

What about moving up to a 2000 360 Modena? Any issues there to be aware of? I still love the NSX, but I don't really want to go back to one when I decide to sell the vette. I see the prices on the 360's are coming down a good bit. That is where I am looking in the next few years.

What about moving up to a 2000 360 Modena? Any issues there to be aware of? I still love the NSX, but I don't really want to go back to one when I decide to sell the vette. I see the prices on the 360's are coming down a good bit. That is where I am looking in the next few years.

The early 360's had a few issues, the most serious of which was the cam variators that could cause serious damage if it failed. Most of the early cars had them fixed for free and if you come across one that hasn't had it done yet, Ferrari will still fix it for free. There were also upgrades done to the F1 software, some motor mount issues as well. Mine had no problems whatsoever.

Back