• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs 996TT

liftshard

Suspended
Well, my buddy picked up a 996TT and I got the chance to drive it a little bit last night.

My impressions:

This car is ridiculously fast. I mean, the boost comes on with such a rush that you basically have to hang onto the steering wheel to maintain your driving position. The rev band is somewhat narrow, by the time the boost hits in 1st, you have to prepare to shift. It winds out that quickly. It comes on with a terrifying rush at about 3000rpm and that car just mfing picks up and goes.

I drove it back-to-back w/ the NSX and I give my impressions of each:

1. Engine. NSX. While the 996 is unbelievably powerful, the NSX engine is much more linear. The boost comes on in the 996TT kind of like the way Vettes slam you into your seat. It's a frantic sort of thing. Below proper boost pressure, the Turbo's engine is nothing special. Once boost builds, you are flying. I don't really dig those types of cars, where you are slammed back against a short rev band so quickly that you have to immediately shift. I prefer a wider powerband. Your preferences may vary. I give the NSX's engine the edge also due to its superior note. It sounds like a race car whereas the 996TT kinda just sounds like any old engine except for the wooshing. Maybe more time in the Turbo would change my mind but I got out of the car kind of dizzy from the speed.

2. Acceleration. 996TT. No comparison. While the NSX gets up and moves, the TT reaches down, grabs the pavement and gets the fk out of Dodge. This is one of the quickest stock cars in the world here and you can feel it. If you keep the revs at 3k and you flatten the pedal out, it hesitates for just a brief moment and then starts accelerating you and it does it harder as it climbs. Then, you repeat in 2nd and 3rd. I came back across the Key Bridge toward Arlington. I didn't even want to look at the speedo, this car was gathering speed so fast.

3. Brakes. NSX. Dunno bout which car is superior in stopping distance, but the pedal feel in the Acura is hands-down superior. The brakes come on immediately and the modulation is linear. The Turbo I was like, wtf, where are the brakes. If you *really* push the pedal, it has great binders, but there's not so much feel there.

4. Shifter. NSX. This was the part of the car that was so much better in the Honda that it was conspicuous. The Turbo has a long throw that reminded me of a C5. Huge throws and rubbery. The NSX is like a precision machine in comparison.

5. Overall car feel. NSX. It makes you feel like a better driver than you actually are. I've heard that from a lot of ppl but I didn't really get it until I took both of these rides back-to-back and flogged them. In the Turbo, I felt in a bit over my head with the power that car has and the lack of real "feedback" from it. It's kind of like a super GT type of car. The NSX has more linear feedback in every respect, from the pedals, shifter, steering, brakes. The 996TT has a monster of an engine. And it's very comfortable, but you're a bit isolated.

The NSX is a better all-around car, but I wouldn't mind the chance to get used to 415hp.

Sorry to say but I totally disagree with this characterisation of the 911TT. Having driven quite a few of them, I find it to be one of the most subtle turbos there are. The twin turbo means that one comes on low and the other comes on high. You are always under boost. There is no "building to boost" and "rush" like you would have in a single turbo Supra (for example).

Furthermore, I see no comparison at all to the Vette. Having owned and modded a C5 for a few years, the torquey V8 of the Vette doesnt feel at all similar, to me, as the higher reving, boosted, 6 in the 911TT.

And for the record, without boost, the 911TT engine is not "nothing special". NA it will outperform the NA2 NSX in most circumstances (ie - with average driver). For proof just turn to the base 911 which, without boost, in its final 996 incarnation of 325HP and 3000lbs was outperforming the NSX consistently (by a small margin, granted).

Your comments on brakes, shifter, etc I dont even want to get into. Personally, I dont know how anyone but a really diehard fanatic can declare the 13 year old NSX a "better overall car" than the 996TT (which is in every way more modern and superior), but even so, your comments are way off.

"rubbery shifter"??? "poor feeling brakes"??? "makes you feel isolated???" On a 911TT?!?! Are you sure the car wasnt used and abused?

I haven't driven a 996TT, but I had heard they took a lot of the fun out of driving it compared to a 993TT. I look forward to driving one....Maybe one day...

I agree with Spookyp. I think the 996TT is one hell of a car. Having the chance to drive one on a local track a few weeks ago I was blown away by the car. The difference between my 87 911 and my NSX is huge even if they are only 5 years apart in age. I consider the difference in my NSX and the 996 TT to be in that same range. The 996TT is that good!

I love my car but I accept the fact that its an old car with old technology. That does not mean that I don't appreciate the way it drives or makes me feel. In most cases it can’t be compared to newer sports cars given the incredible advancements that have occurred since the NSX was developed in the late 80’s. When the NSX was released it was light years ahead of the 911 available at the time. Hell, it was still a kick ass car when the 993TT was released but time has a way of passing you by if become complacent.

Having driven a 996TT a few times I have to disagree with most of your comments about the 996TT being better than the NSX. The only thing about the NSX that is better imho is the feel for the road and visibility. Although first gear is a bit short, 2nd and 3rd pull like a freight train to redline. The exhaust can be changed and I've heard quite a few that sound incredible. A shift kit can be installed but the stock feel is still nice, and the brakes are awesome. The one you drove could have had old fluid or worn pads because the 996TT brakes should feel like you threw an anchor out the window.

I'm sure that in a few years I'll have one parked next to my NSX in the garage. :)

I own both a 97 NSX (supercharged) and a 2002 996 TT. I agree that the Porsche tends to feel isolated from the road and the stock shifter has long throws but, with a shift kit, this is very easily corrected. To say that the brakes on the NSX are better is just silly. I've tracked both cars and I can say without a doubt that the Porsche brakes (read "large brembos") are far superior to the stock NSX brakes in every way.

I agree that with respect to acceleration, there is no comparison. The boost shows very little lag, comes on early (over 400 ft-lbs of torque at 2700 rpm) and is linear up to redline (6500 rpm). First gear is very short in these cars but the rest of the gears are nicely spaced. Forty mph is about top speed in first, but you are in illegally fast range before you top out in second. Keep the revs above 2500 rpm and the car just pulls and pulls.

In most cases, I prefer the feel of the NSX as well but there are some days where the sound of the turbos and that amazing acceleration really put a smile on my face.

SCS2k said:
I own both a 97 NSX (supercharged) and a 2002 996 TT. I agree that the Porsche tends to feel isolated from the road and the stock shifter has long throws but, with a shift kit, this is very easily corrected. To say that the brakes on the NSX are better is just silly. I've tracked both cars and I can say without a doubt that the Porsche brakes (read "large brembos") are far superior to the stock NSX brakes in every way.

I agree that with respect to acceleration, there is no comparison. The boost shows very little lag, comes on early (over 400 ft-lbs of torque at 2700 rpm) and is linear up to redline (6500 rpm). First gear is very short in these cars but the rest of the gears are nicely spaced. Forty mph is about top speed in first, but you are in illegally fast range before you top out in second. Keep the revs above 2500 rpm and the car just pulls and pulls.

In most cases, I prefer the feel of the NSX as well but there are some days where the sound of the turbos and that amazing acceleration really put a smile on my face.
You've got a pretty sweet 996 TT. I would love to see your NSX though.

SCS2k said:

The brakes on the NSX were more linear and easier to modulate. Superior feel. Everything on the Porsche has to be stamped on. The NSX is a higher precision "instrument." Those are the nature of my comments. Even the Turbo owner made the same comment as he lurched the brakes at first in the NSX. They come on quicker and require less pedal travel and have superior feel.

The 996TT's acceleration was somewhat frightening. It up and just rocketed forward. The gears were a little short.

That was my impression as well. I could get used to the ridiculous power the 996TT has. The NSX is a purer sports car with more fun factor. Kind of like how "drivers" liked the Miata a lot even though we'd all look at the specs and go "wtf?"

Everyone has such a bunch of ants in their pants over a comparison. Back-to-back, this was my impression. The 996TT is a helluva car but it just didn't have the road connection that the NSX does. With equivalent power, there'd be no comparison.

NetViper said:
Do you have a BBSC or CTSC?

CTSC 6 lbs, Science of speed headers and Tubi exhaust.

The Porsche has the Evolution Motorsports Stage II upgrade (approx. 525 hp) with Fabspeed Sport exhaust, short shifter and billet shift linkage.

liftshard said:
The brakes on the NSX were more linear and easier to modulate. Superior feel. Everything on the Porsche has to be stamped on. The NSX is a higher precision "instrument." Those are the nature of my comments. Even the Turbo owner made the same comment as he lurched the brakes at first in the NSX. They come on quicker and require less pedal travel and have superior feel.

The 996TT's acceleration was somewhat frightening. It up and just rocketed forward. The gears were a little short.

That was my impression as well. I could get used to the ridiculous power the 996TT has. The NSX is a purer sports car with more fun factor. Kind of like how "drivers" liked the Miata a lot even though we'd all look at the specs and go "wtf?"

Everyone has such a bunch of ants in their pants over a comparison. Back-to-back, this was my impression. The 996TT is a helluva car but it just didn't have the road connection that the NSX does. With equivalent power, there'd be no comparison.

I wasn't upset or offended, I hope that is not how you interpreted my post, I was just trying to give a little different perspective. My apologies if you thought I was attacking you or your post.

Maintenance cost alone will keep me away from any European car, no matter how fast they are or how well they perform in any category. If they are in the shop or broken down along the road, they aren't worth the cost of ownership. Reliability is #1 in my book.

spookyp said:
Sorry to say but I totally disagree with this characterisation of the 911TT. Having driven quite a few of them, I find it to be one of the most subtle turbos there are. The twin turbo means that one comes on low and the other comes on high. You are always under boost. There is no "building to boost" and "rush" like you would have in a single turbo Supra (for example).

"rubbery shifter"??? ?

If you have driven "quite a few of them" you would know that the 911TT doesn't "come on low and the other comes on high" :rolleyes: it's not a sequential TT like the Supra. "driven quite a few of them" riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.....I doubt that very much. I have driven exactly ONE newer 911TT and even I knew it didn't have sequential Turbos; and b.t.w. the TT I drove was an '01 with 14k miles - the "throws" or shifter was the worst I have ever driven in this class of car. The throws were so long - for a moment I thought I was driving the SRT-10 truck :rolleyes:
so yes - in this catagory - the NSX absolutely embarrasses the 911TT.

My father just recently purchased a 996tt and all I have to say is :eek: Stupid fast is all that comes to mind (for a stock car).

I would have to say that the porsche is far superior in the performance category (duh) but does not offer that feeling of excitement that I used to recieve from my NSX.

Also Wagshag, I do agree that the throws are long, but if you have been driving a M3 around for the past year like I have :frown: , the throws don't feel that long :biggrin: Although I must say the the gear changes are unbelievably smooth.

I was cross shopping these two cars last year.

I'm not sure what % of 996tt have the stock shifter (many option the car w/ oem short shifter), but the car you had had one. When i first got my car it had those super-long throws. $300 and 30 minutes i had the SSK, which GREATLY improved the shift throws. STill not as rifle-bolt precise as an NSX or 350 for that matter, but much better.

Regarding the turbo system, i dont think its really sequential, but then its not purely parallel either. Its a complex system where each turbo is attached to the manifold of either bank of 3 cylinders (flat 6 remember). The ECU is one the most complex systems made by bosch. Basically the engine modifies boost pressure, timing, and a/f mixture in response to a ton of data. One turbo is able to help the other bank pressurize - so in effect they are somewhat sequential. On stock settings, the system will allow up to .8bar overboost (11.6 psi) before settling to .7bar.

The long and short of this is that this motor has nary any perceptible lag. Yeah, you'll rip through 1st gear with the quickness...not only does the boost build and power rise, but as a porsche it shares the NSX's proclivity for making (HUGE) power at high rpms. Except the porsche makes a bunch of power.

Brakes...cmon...everybody respects big reds. Stock NSX brakes have....what 2 pistons??

One thing nobody mentioned was handling. IMO while the NSX is lighter and more nimble, it still is no match for the TT's complex AWD (lifted from the 959) and massive tires. With PSM engaged, the porker does seem a little isolated. The steering is the best in the biz, but you kinda feel like the car is making you better than you are (IT IS!), but turn off P)lease S)ave M)e and the car becomes much more alive. Its impossible to be able to exploit the advantages that rear-engine traction and AWD impart on a single drive, but it is a force to be reckoned with.

The interior can be a mixed bag. I've seen some turbos with minimal int options (they do have full leather std). Poorly optioned turbos can have crappy looking interiors...esp in full black. Porsche's can come heavily customized/optioned from the factory. Here's some interior shots.

I cant wait for the next NSX to come out. When the nsx first bowed it blew away the competition. The current car, while old as sin, does fill a unique niche in terms of feel. However, compared to a 996TT....it gets blown away in every way. Compared with a 997....and its beautiful interior...it gets blown out of existence. Here's hoping that the new NSX/HSC/whatever, sends a wind of change through the upper ranks.

However, it seems that chevy has already done that. I simply cannot imagine an NSX faster than a ZO6. Better yes, faster no.

attachment.php

attachment.php

stock vs stock the TT exhaust sound is way more complex. Muted yes, but all the whine and all makes you feel like a german me262 pilot....really!

That first interior is sweet. Looks much better than any 996 interior I have seen. The second is freaking nasty.

yeah i was trying to illustrate the differences btw 996 interiors depending on color and options. Sadly, the nasty (disgusting) interior is just as costly as the first one. Basically, a customer was ordering the car but his wife became VERY involved in the color picking. ("if you're going to get this car, i get to have some(all) input")

At any rate, the customer came to pick the car up and refused delivery as it was so ugly. Its pretty pathetic really. Can you tell which car the wife really wanted?? The funny thing is the customer even specified "color to match" a $3k option wherien the factory will match any paint. IN this case, they matched the crappy silver on the lexus sc430...

sad. really sad.

wagyshag said:
the "throws" or shifter was the worst I have ever driven in this class of car. The throws were so long - for a moment I thought I was driving the SRT-10 truck :rolleyes:
so yes - in this catagory - the NSX absolutely embarrasses the 911TT.

Absolutely. Throws like a C5. Embarrassing for a car of this class, my initial impression when I put it into first. The shifter was garbage.

qirex said:
Brakes...cmon...everybody respects big reds. Stock NSX brakes have....what 2 pistons??

Someone go find me the stopping distances of the two cars. They are fairly equal. The NSX's brakes have better modulation, feel, and the pedal travel is much more progressive.

Clutch, brakes, steering, shifter, engine. The NSX is a linear car, the 996TT is a long-throw.

Some of you guys like changing behavior. I prefer the car be precise. The 996 hauled itself down from speed, and so does the NSX. Either car has ridiculously powerful brakes compared to just about anything on the road. Any passenger or driver in my ride has made such a comment.

One thing nobody mentioned was handling. IMO while the NSX is lighter and more nimble, it still is no match for the TT's complex AWD (lifted from the 959) and massive tires. With PSM engaged, the porker does seem a little isolated. The steering is the best in the biz, but you kinda feel like the car is making you better than you are (IT IS!), but turn off P)lease S)ave M)e and the car becomes much more alive. Its impossible to be able to exploit the advantages that rear-engine traction and AWD impart on a single drive, but it is a force to be reckoned with.

The handling I didn't really get a chance to test out much. The car certainly takes corners at a high G rate, as did this guy's previous 911. Either car can corner at crazy speeds. The NSX is certainly the more nimble of the two and road-connected. But, the 996TT had too much pedal travel, too much shifter travel, too much everything travel. Tighten up the Turbo and I'd have no complaints. The NSX is already tight. All it requires is more power to compete.

As for another thing I didn't mention, looks. The NSX is the better looking car. I could see it from across the street as my buddy started away from where I'd parked. This is a really cool, unique looking car. It looks like a race car. The 996TT gets looks too b/c ppl can see the bulges and the whale tale, but it's not up to the awe appeal that the Ack gots.

And, the NSX, I can take the top off of. That, alone, is probably worth taking it over the Porsche.

Back