• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs C6 vs Carrera S

I only like the "top of the line" cars, i.e. the C6 is the top of Chevy's line, NSX as well for Acura. I've had an older 911 Turbo (the 2 wheel drive) and an '82 911SC and have been looking for a 2 year old or so 911 Turbo for around 80-85K but haven't quite been able to find the deal I'm looking for.

If I can't have the "top" of the Porsche line (even if it IS a 2 year old one :rolleyes: ) I don't want it. So, I have no desire for the Carrera.

OTOH, I HAVE had an NSX but NEVER a Corvette. My Mom promised to buy me a Corvette when I graduated college but I couldn't be "bribed". :eek: So, I've never owned one. I took a somewhat brief test drive in a C6 about 3 months ago. Very nice. Maybe it's time. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

What's a moron to do ??? :confused:

While shopping for an 02 NSX, I simply *happened* to see what the same money would buy in another car. I wasnt a porsche fan at the time, but tested an 03 996C2 w/ mkII aerokit. the aerokit deserves mention - as it helps the car stand out in a crowd.

IMO however, even that 996 was a whole level of performance higher than the 02 NSX. The full leather interior, available technology, Increased power. I drove both cars extensvely and the *stock* 325HP 3.6 easily outgunned the 3.2V6.

I tried really hard to want to get an NSX, but at the end of the day, it would have been a pure posing purchase choosing rarity > performance.

I've said it several times before, but the NSX needs to be shot dead. Its all over.

The Carrera S outguns the higher HP C6 in a straight line PURELY from a traction standpoint. This in its own is impressive, but to is the 400HP of the big chevy V8. You simply cannot mention these two cars in the same sentence concerning performance with the NSX. Nope. To do so is simply delusion, yes you can mod the NSX, but lets keep apples 2 apples here.

p.s I'm looking for a turbo as well. If you havent already I'd reg at the rennlist - great, tight knit forum. I started a thread re: looking for a turbo and have found several potential cars simply by owners pm'ing me.

http://forums.rennlist.com/

IMO, the 996TT is the supercar value of our decade. 15k mile 02s in good shape are running ~$80-85. The motor and most of the car is hand built (unlike the 996 which is an accord FWIW), the engine is based on the legendary GT1 motor, while its 3.6L, its bears very little in commonw/ its N/A brethren. I'm sure you know that a TT just broke the McLaren F1 speed record. With all the duct tape falling off Fatthauers car, it was likely power not aero that ruled that day. If you like easy power mods, the TT is the car for you

Here we go again

qirex said:
I drove both cars extensvely and the *stock* 325HP 3.6 easily outgunned the 3.2V6.
From the extensive (although I assume subjective) data you collected during your time behind the wheels, how did you conclude the Porsche was faster than the NSX? Curious, since the butt-o-meter is often inaccurate and since the numbers from every test I have seen does not indicate the Porsche could "easily outgun" the NSX.

NSX-GUY said:
I only like the "top of the line" cars, i.e. the C6 is the top of Chevy's line, NSX as well for Acura. I've had an older 911 Turbo (the 2 wheel drive) and an '82 911SC and have been looking for a 2 year old or so 911 Turbo for around 80-85K but haven't quite been able to find the deal I'm looking for.

If I can't have the "top" of the Porsche line (even if it IS a 2 year old one :rolleyes: ) I don't want it. So, I have no desire for the Carrera.

OTOH, I HAVE had an NSX but NEVER a Corvette. My Mom promised to buy me a Corvette when I graduated college but I couldn't be "bribed". :eek: So, I've never owned one. I took a somewhat brief test drive in a C6 about 3 months ago. Very nice. Maybe it's time. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

What's a moron to do ??? :confused:

I think you should replace the three cars you have in your signature with an Audi RS6, BMW Z8, and Mercedes SL65. And if you are getting a P-Car, forget about the 996 turbo; you gotta get the Carrera GT. Now those are top of the line! :biggrin:

By the way, the S4 and M3 are great cars! I have a friend with a highly modified 02' S4 and it outruns stock ZO6s on the Interstate. It is a lot fun seeing an Audi smoking all four tires. Heck, I wish I could smoke two tires.

Last edited:
Re: Here we go again

My buddy and I would take turns driving.

Its our sundy morning/friday night activity.

All tests were conducted on a closes track with safety gear in use at all times....

the cars involved were a 91 NSX, 00 Carrera4 (w/ aerokit MkI), 996 40th (w/ X51 = +30hp), g35c (exhaust + ztube) and my trusty 350Z.

You are right re; noise influencing the buttometer.

my bud swore his g35 was faster than my stock Z. I drove it, and agreed as well...untill we lined them up.
Sure its hardly scientific, but hey its all we have! in terms of feel, the carrera likes to be revved, extracting max HP up high, just like the NSX. I dunno, maybe its just be, but the carreras just felt more BRAWNy everywhere in the powerband.

I should note that while the Pcar had NO trouble decimating the nissans, the NSX had trouble outpacing them. It did, but just barely and at 75+.

qirex said:
My buddy and I would take turns driving.

Its our sundy morning/friday night activity.

All tests were conducted on a closes track with safety gear in use at all times....

the cars involved were a 91 NSX, 00 Carrera4 (w/ aerokit MkI), 996 40th (w/ X51 = +30hp), g35c (exhaust + ztube) and my trusty 350Z.

You are right re; noise influencing the buttometer.

my bud swore his g35 was faster than my stock Z. I drove it, and agreed as well...untill we lined them up.
Sure its hardly scientific, but hey its all we have! in terms of feel, the carrera likes to be revved, extracting max HP up high, just like the NSX. I dunno, maybe its just be, but the carreras just felt more BRAWNy everywhere in the powerband.

I should note that while the Pcar had NO trouble decimating the nissans, the NSX had trouble outpacing them. It did, but just barely and at 75+.

I could eaily see the 40th Anniversary car effortlessly pulling away from the NSX from any speed. The C4, especially a 3.4 would be equal to the 91 NSX maybe up to a 100. After that, the Carrera should start pulling away at higher speeds.

I have come to grips that the NSX is not a star when it comes to all out performance, but it does lots of things well. It is extremely well rounded, but a little slow. I am appreciating my NSX for what it is; a pleasant sports car that is easy to live with.

ah hah....

somebody seems to knwo their pcars!

yeah, I was VERY surprised that the 3.4L 00 carrera was so noticably faster than the 91 Nsx. I figured that the 300hp + awd weight would make them roughly equal...but as the old adage goes...

german horses are stronger...

qirex said:
german horses are stronger...

I agree with you 100%! Japanese horses are just smaller than zie Germans. I love German cars, especially P-cars. Someday I will have another 911 turbo, hopefully a used GT2 :)

Last edited:
What the hell?!?

qirex said:
03 996C2 w/ mkII aerokit... IMO however, even that 996 was a whole level of performance higher than the 02 NSX. The full leather interior, available technology, Increased power. I drove both cars extensvely and the *stock* 325HP 3.6 easily outgunned the 3.2V6.
qirex said:
the cars involved were a 91 NSX, 00 Carrera4 (w/ aerokit MkI), 996 40th (w/ X51 = +30hp)... I should note that while the Pcar had NO trouble decimating the nissans, the NSX had trouble outpacing them. It did, but just barely and at 75+.
What happened to the 2003 996C2 with stock 325 HP you previously mentioned? Was it actually the 40th anniversary (with X51)? If so, wouldn’t power be closer to 345 HP instead of the 325 HP you stated?

Actually, nevermind the details of the Porsche. While it was clear you were referring a 996 Porsche, the topic of this thread and the talk about an "02 NSX" with "3.2V6" suggested you were talking about... well... an 2002 NSX with 3.2L (which only comes mated to a 6-speed).

In fact, you were comparing 2000+ 996s to a 1991 NSX with 3.0L engine and 5-speed (I assume not an automatic). Your previous post is extremely misleading. I’m certain a 3.2L with 6-speed would have performed much better than the 1991 NSX you tested - probably very close, to the Porsches.

Re: What the hell?!?

Well, I did test a 02 3.2 6MT, but the only reference i had was to a f355 i tested the same day...I liked the X more that day, but then that car had comptech exhaust which sounded positively amazing.

Ojas is correct, I forgot that the 00C4 only had 300Hp. The 03C2 is the X51 equipped 40th ann w/ 355 hp.

power aside, the interior accoutrements of the 996 compared to the 91 spec interior of an 02 make the nsx a distant second choice....until i factor in $$$$. if i only had $65K to play with, its still 996 03-04 vs 02 nsx. Theres tons of great deals on new/used 996 c2s b/c of the overwhelming popularity of the 997 i suppose.

it used to be so simple to buy a car when you only had X dollars to play with.
Now, there are so many variables...

decision, decisions....

How confusing it would be if a nice 02 could be had for $55k. then what?

CerberusM5 said:
I think you should replace the three cars you have in your signature with an Audi RS6, BMW Z8, and Mercedes SL65. And if you are getting a P-Car, forget about the 996 turbo; you gotta get the Carrera GT. Now those are top of the line! :biggrin:

By the way, the S4 and M3 are great cars! I have a friend with a highly modified 02' S4 and it outruns stock ZO6s on the Interstate. It is a lot fun seeing an Audi smoking all four tires. Heck, I wish I could smoke two tires.

If *I* had *your* (apparent) money I'd do just that !!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Actually I test drove an RS6 about 2 weeks ago. Not half bad, :biggrin: even if it is Tiptronic only. :frown: A dealer in Jersey apparently is "specializing" in them as he has 4 of them (out of abour 800 produced is '03). Pretty strange pricing structure though. Stickered about $86K when new, he's got 2 at $79K, 1 at about $75K and 1 at $71K. They are all amost the same mileage-wise and there is very little additional equipment to add to the car (although I think one of the $79K cars has NAV, the other is the only Imola Yellow RS6 ever produced)

Problem is though that NOTHING depreciates faster than a fucking Audi, EXCEPT when the DEALER is selling them. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

My M3 is kind of boring though. Handles as well as anything I've ever driven and fast as hell but doesn't really have a personality. I think BMW really missed the boat by not letting the M3 announce its comings and goings.

Meanwhile, my S4, with an aftermarket exhaust sounds SO cool and when those twin turbos kick in, a smile just seems to come to my face. I had an '80 Saab Turbo and I'd forgotten how much fun in can be when the turbos spool up. :smile:

Z8 and the SL65 I have no interest in (mainly because there is NO WAY I could afford them - Hell that big sucking sound you here is those 3 cars sucking the money out of my bank account.)

I'm thinking along the same lines I have been for awhile now. I'm "budgeting" :eek: to have 2 cars with a totl value of around $100K. Either keep the S4, sell the M3 and CLK, and get either a 2 year old 911TT or a late model NSX (maybe even lease a new one). One other option is, e.g. '05 Acura RL, Cadillac CTS-V, or new S4, AND a new 'Vette.

And my biggest problem (especially with the Porsche) really is $$$ for maintenance once a car goes out of warrantee. The Porsches just KILL you for everything and anything that might need to be fixed/replaced. The NSX is a Honda after all and nothing EVER seems to break. And, of course, if I got the NSX I'd probably only keep it 3 years max and it'd never be out of warrantee while I have it anyway. :biggrin:

Decisions, decisions, decisions !!! :biggrin:

qirex said:
the interior accoutrements of the 996 compared to the 91 spec interior of an 02 make the nsx a distant second choice....until i factor in $$$$. if i only had $65K to play with, its still 996 03-04 vs 02 nsx. Theres tons of great deals on new/used 996 c2s b/c of the overwhelming popularity of the 997 i suppose.

I would diagree. With a porsche, they option you to DEATH. The interior looks OK to start, but if you don't get every option, you get a bunch of black buttons that don't do anything and just look out of place. At least with the NSX, everything is there when you buy it. Of course, I think the 02+ NSX should have had a full leather or at least suede interior, an in-dash CD player and digital odometer. Those few changes would bring the interior back to life.

I agree, the fact that a volkswagon has an outside temp gauge whi;e the nsx has none...

you're kinda right re: the popos. However, after you spend some time looking for ther right car, you'de be SURPRISED!!

full leather, sport exhaust, chrome bezels. Add the fact that these parts are easily added ($$$$$ from tecquipent) for cheap aftermkt.

the mutlifunction computers in most cars should be standard on new nsxs. its just a shame really...

NetViper said:
I would diagree. With a porsche, they option you to DEATH. The interior looks OK to start, but if you don't get every option, you get a bunch of black buttons that don't do anything and just look out of place. At least with the NSX, everything is there when you buy it. Of course, I think the 02+ NSX should have had a full leather or at least suede interior, an in-dash CD player and digital odometer. Those few changes would bring the interior back to life.

If Honda could spend a couple of thousand dollars per car on the interior it would go a long way. Here is my list:

1. Leather dash and door panels.
2. Alcantara roof liner
3. Upgraded audio w/ at least an in dash CD player
4. An attractive steering wheel
5. Redesigned door panels with storage pockets
6. A digital odometer would be a modern touch putting the NSX into the 90's :)

Back