• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs. Corvette Z06?

jond said:
I've heard a lot of people call the C5 corvette the "5th generation camaro" simply because it's so cheap and common.

To each their own....

And I have heard the NSX called an overpriced rice-buner. Who cares?

What I like most about this forum is that MOST people here respect all cars and are not snobs like other sites.

Just to add to the topic,

I just read an new article by consumer reports analyzing sports cars - amongst them is a C6 corvette Z06

Their top pick by the way is the 911 and what they said about the corvette's reliability was not good at all - they did not recommend the corvette due to its below average reliability record.

Again I am not saying the corvette is a bad car - I will never buy it because I just don't like unreliable cars whether they are Chevys or Ferraris.

what surprises me the most is that the corvettes have been around for the longest time. I expected them to be reliable long time ago but I guess they will never be.

NSX7 said:

I just read an new article by consumer reports analyzing sports cars - amongst them is a C6 corvette Z06

Their top pick by the way is the 911 and what they said about the corvette's reliability was not good at all - they did not recommend the corvette due to its below average reliability record.

Again I am not saying the corvette is a bad car - I will never buy it because I just don't like unreliable cars whether they are Chevys or Ferraris.

what surprises me the most is that the corvettes have been around for the longest time. I expected them to be reliable long time ago but I guess they will never be.

Ford, GM, Ferrari--they have all been around forever. At least long enough to build a very reliable car which it seems the relatively young Toyota and Honda seem to do without fanfare. And it's pretty clear to me that based on the price of Japanese cars and others that reliable and quality parts don't cost that much more to utilize.

It's always seemed to me that in respect to performance technology, things generally progress very linearly, building off of each new development directly with very little backpedaling. But when it comes to reliability technology, you see gaps in progress where new parts fail, the same old things break, and nothing seems to improve year after year, model after model. To the point where a company like Lotus throws their hands in the air and say something like, "we cannot be successful unless we put a Yamaha/Toyota engine and tranny in the Elise because we're clearly not capable of designing a reliable drivetrain" That's pretty heavy--they can't/won't/don't want to--whatever--design reliable parts!!

It's just shocking to me that a company like Ferrari, hand-built, selling at the price it does, and as profitable as it is, can't get quality materials and build a car as reliable as an NSX. Could you imagine a car like the 599GTB with Honda reliability? The $275K price would almost be justified! If they could produce cars like that they would hands down be the best manufacturer of all time.

In all fairness, I think the 21st century has seen great jumps in reliablility, particularly from high-end manufacurers. The F430 and 599GTB are the best Ferraris ever made by far and the Z06 and 911 aren't too bad. The M5, M6 seem to be alright too. Nothing like the old days of the 512TR, F348 and ZR1 and M8/(850CSi).

NSX7 said:

The 2005 vettes had a problem with a dead battery issue. That is what they based their reliability on. In my research there are very few problems with the C6.

Personally that article pissed me off because they didn't say why these cars were unreliable. They said that about 3-4 cars.

Market is really strange on the Vettes. I am looking for either a late model Orange NSX (my first choice), an '06 Porsche Cayman S, or a new Vette.

Don't really need the Z06 but,,,,,,,, I can't help but notice the Z06 is going for OVER sticker, but the regular Vette is being heavily discounted, even the brand new '07's.

e.g. I've been offered a HT Vette for 4K off sticker and on eBay, a beautiful, brand new '07 Yellow Vette Convertible, fully loaded at sticker of 66K or so, didn't even draw a 59K bid on eBay.

WTF ??? :confused::confused::confused:

If your thinking about a vette try looking for a Lingenfelter Corvette used (around 40-60 grand) which can do 0-60 in the 3's and the 1/4 mile in the 10's which IMO is one of the best bangs for your buck performance wise.

-Rob

MashimaroNSX said:
If your thinking about a vette try looking for a Lingenfelter Corvette used (around 40-60 grand) which can do 0-60 in the 3's and the 1/4 mile in the 10's which IMO is one of the best bangs for your buck performance wise.

-Rob
I've to agree on that!! it's not that bad either and very powerful car!!!

MashimaroNSX said:

-Rob

Problem with an aftermarket "tuner" car is service, and, if there's still any manufacturer warranty left, them deciding who's "fault" something is that broke. Tuner wants the manufacturer to pay, and vice versa and the customer is left holding the bag.

Even when routine(?) service is needed, can the manufacturer's dealer service the car properly ? Or does it need to go to the tuner for oil changes, brake pads, etc ??? :frown:

Same boat

To answer your question I think the 20K price difference, which it wasnt even that much from c6 to nsx, but c5 z06 to nsx it is definately warranted in my opinion.

Main reasons being all aluminum handbuilt reliability. thats enough right there. Exclusivity; a few hundred units a year man, that is no joke and these car are super balanced. You know all this.

i am 21 and have spent a few years at this point considering options and what i really want out of a car so young. Fav in my price around 40k is M5 NSX 996 z06. I am going z for a few reasons but mainly performance man. Could never go any of the others over NSX just couldnt do it.

Main factor that fueled the decision was being in/having friends with super fast cars, you gotta love 500 rwhp or so man. Nothing better than some tire shredding torque IMO. I'm going to drop about 5-10k into alcantara/seats for interior cause I hate stock. I'd rather be older to have a p-car, nsx, or similar.

If gonna go z gonna do it right and go all out in performance.

http://z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101149
http://z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100794

Keep working hard dude bank that $ don't party too much it will kill your grades and eat up your money! But on the other hand, gotta do it!

Later!

I cannot believe that this is still debated.

I am a former vette owner (very reliable) and former Porche owner (very reliable).

Read this: There is no comparison to the NSX. First just sit in an NSX- it feels like you are in an exotic (low to the ground) etc. Then VTEC.

I mean the real question is why buy a Porsche when you can have a z06? Still have not gotten a good answer to that.

We all get sick of hearing NSX owners say don't look at the numbers (which are pretty damn good by the way) and look at the "experience". But let's admit it they are right- do you go to Starbucks and say I can get the same coffee for 2 dollars cheaper at Seven eleven??

I am not defending NSX but why does a car (made by Acura no less) still cause such a burn among my Porsche friends in the exotic crowd ("Oh well it is an Acura-ha,ha, ha") if it is such a wanna be??

jond said:
I've heard a lot of people call the C5 corvette the "5th generation camaro" simply because it's so cheap and common.

To each their own....

But the question was about the Z06 not the normal C5. I don't have the figures for the 2007, but in 2006 there were 34,021 total corvettes built of which 6272 were Z06. So i wouldn't consider the Z06 to be common and the price isn't really cheep.

comtec said:
But the question was about the Z06 not the normal C5. I don't have the figures for the 2007, but in 2006 there were 34,021 total corvettes built of which 6272 were Z06. So i wouldn't consider the Z06 to be common and the price isn't really cheep.

6000 is pretty common... especially if you look at the number of NSX's built for any given year... That means for every 5 corvetts you see, one should be a Z06... that is pretty common...

comtec said:
OK, so in the entire 15 year run of the NSX how many were brought into the US? Probably close to the # of ZO6's made in 2006. Let's talk common and "cheap". I've had a vette, and many of them do "cheep"!!!:biggrin:

Z06 is a freaken monster. 500HP..... she aint pretty tho.

I rather have a model than a maid that can cook and clean... each to their own tho.:biggrin:

you go get the homely maid, I'll stick with the supermodel.

every red neck has a corvette, you can be everyman or the select few.

knocks aside. I love the Z06 too. When i get tired of the attention with my NSX. ill go get a vette for the power.

You can turbo your NSX tho... so you can have the best of both worlds.

RPM217 said:
OK, so in the entire 15 year run of the NSX how many were brought into the US? Probably close to the # of ZO6's made in 2006. Let's talk common and "cheap". I've had a vette, and many of them do "cheep"!!!:biggrin:

I don't know for sure but i would think that the 6272 is total production not just us sales. How many NSX cars were produced worldwide? I had a corvette for 8 years myself 1988 coupe w/factory Z52 suspension.

I don't know why i am comparing it to the nsx (i got off track). I just think that 6272 per year is not common.

Last edited:
who cares about how common/hard to find a car is...

the pinto is harder to find than the nsx. I never acturally seen one in real life. now thats rare, but does it make it a good car?

quit this lame debate already. its a waste of time. you have what you have cause you like it for its own qualities.

anyone that requires someone else opinion about how they should spend their money should not be making any kind of purchase. Instead they should give $ to those who have the ability to make up their own minds.

If you dont have a vette or a NSX, dont come here sturing things up. When you get older and can be a man and make your own decision, pick one or the other.

stubid discussion.

next time just ignore this tard and we will cut down on forum bs.

Why did I buy a $140,000.00 used Ferrari when I could have bought a brand new Z06 for half the money? Well let's see...
1. I wanted a car whose handling was not totally scary.
2. I wanted a car that you wouldn't see five of per day.
3. I wanted a car whose exhaust note you wouldn't confuse with a pickup.
4. After being spoiled by NSX ownership, the $140,000.00 Ferrari was the closest thing I could find to an NSX in terms of looks, balance and performance.

Rolex owners don't go back to Timex's just because they keep better time.

the pinto is harder to find than the nsx. I never acturally seen one in real life. now thats rare, but does it make it a good car?

You haven't missed anything, i saw plenty back in the 70's. They would explode when hit from behind. I think there was a recall for the fuel tanks. They even had a sport model (now that's rare :smile:)

Last edited:
different strokes for different folks....lol....i had older corvettes 84 and 91 and actually test drove an 07 last week. I personally like the driving experience of nsx much better. If you like vettes....buy a vette....if you like the nsx get a nsx.........or for the price of a new zo6 you cam have a 90's nsx and a 2001-2004 zo6.:smile:

I look at it like this. I can name EVERY street I've ever seen an NSX on in my entire life. I can't remember the last street I saw a vette on, b.c I rarely notice them. For me it comes down to wanting something almost no one has. I've driven a Z06, and it was cool. Hope the NSX is....

OneRedNSX said:
6000 is pretty common... especially if you look at the number of NSX's built for any given year... That means for every 5 corvetts you see, one should be a Z06... that is pretty common...
Yeah, I honestly see more Z06 Corvettes then Camaros.
Thing is, to the average person, a corvette is a corvette, and 35,000 made per year means they're EVERYWHERE.

Back