• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs. EVO VIII

jlindy said:
You are telling us that an EVO will beat a Z06??? I'm sorry, but there is no way. :rolleyes:

I agree. The stock EVO is really fast 0-60. 0-100, it is on par with a NA1 NSX. It would get blown away by a Z06.

jlindy said:
You are telling us that an EVO will beat a Z06??? I'm sorry, but there is no way. :rolleyes:

everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Oh btw I also beat a M5... ;) my friend that races me constantly with his arsenal of supercars owns a dealership. He now owns an evo8 because he too did not believe its potential until I raced him several times... and then he decided its not a fluke! I do not see that is that hard to believe! this is a modified evo with a stock turbine but lots of other modifications in case you missed that part.

NetViper said:
I agree. The stock EVO is really fast 0-60. 0-100, it is on par with a NA1 NSX. It would get blown away by a Z06.

0-60 evo8 times stock are 4.6 sec., this is a modified evo with a better clutch to handle the power, better tires, more power, and a better driver (me). I am not going to argue, but we are considering quarter mile times. I do agree its hard to swallow at first, its a very close race but the AWD launch has its advantages OVER a RWD. The Z06 with a considerable amount of power will burn out, allows for a better start with AWD.

JDM NSX said:
0-60 evo8 times stock are 4.6 sec., this is a modified evo with a better clutch to handle the power, better tires, more power, and a better driver (me). I am not going to argue, but we are considering quarter mile times. I do agree its hard to swallow at first, its a very close race but the AWD launch has its advantages OVER a RWD. The Z06 with a considerable amount of power will burn out, allows for a better start with AWD.

you are comparing modified EVOVIII to Z06, stock vs stock, Z06 will destroy EVOVIII. Sure modified Evo VIII will beat Z06, but not modified Z06.

Stock turbine don't count, that is far from stock, there are other cars that will make far more hp than EvoVIII on stock turbine with zero turbo lag, that sure does not say much. try race a Z06 with bolt ons or nitrous.

Most magazine Evo VIII 0~60 are range from 4.6~5.2, most the ones I seen are 4.8 range.

If the guy can drive, he will be able to launch the Z06 without losing significant amount of traction.

I love EvoVIII and STI for the fun factor, hard to beat the performance for the dollar ratio. But the look of these cars really kept me away from buying one.

Last edited:
JDM NSX said:
well I have an Evo VIII now, its an incredible car. with a stock turbine I can still beat porsche carrera c2, z06, grand am, sti, v8 s4, and keeps up with a 360 modena until 140 mph. The stock turbine if tuned correctly with supporting mods has little turbo lag. The top end of the evo8 lacks because of its 5th gear and lower gearing as some of you have mentioned. Evo8 has awesome performance for the price. BUT consider this: evo8 maxed out on stock turbo is a fast car but you have to deal with replacing parts as they break down, tickets - fix it and traffic, constant maintenance - rebuilding coilovers, tires, brakes, oil, fluids, etc., putting race gas $4.99 IF YOU can find a place with 100 octane, no warranty, replacing the clutch before 10K miles, and generally not being very comfortable when you are driving it. Having a good 350WHP relatively reliably on an evo will cost you $5-6K. Its cost effective and loads of fun, but the nsx just turns heads.

The evo is a superior vehicle at its price - the brakes are superb, the turbo makes for enjoyable driving, and the awd and handling makes it awesome to drive through the twisties. This is the car you take out just to DRIVE because it is so much damn fun to drive it. I remember I would just drive it on a sunny day just to experience the fun factor. The evo8 I would highly recommend but its not for everyone! Its a fun performance oriented driver's car. The NSX on the other hand is refined, older, and looks a ton better. They really are in different classes as one is more exotic, rwd, mid NA v6 engine, and older. The other is a race car, awd, front turbocharged inline 4 cylinder, and a new car with new rally breed technology. I would sort of compare rally (EVO8) to f1 (NSX).

A stock Evo cannot outrun most of those cars you referenced, especially at higher speeds. I've raced several in my M5 on the Interstate and from a roll and they don't have a chance. Once we get past 100, my M5 buries the Evo quickly in my rearview mirror. Against a ZO6, the Evo would get absolutely crushed from any speed except for maybe 0 to 30.

A lightly modified Evo would have a better chance of keeping up, but once you reach higher speeds, cars such as the ZO6 will pull away. Sorry, but the Evo is not that that fast.

There is no doubt the Evo 8 offers a lot of performance for such a cheap car. However, there is no comparison between the NSX and Evo. The NSX is easily the superior car.

Last edited:
JDM NSX said:
The other is a race car, awd, front turbocharged inline 4 cylinder, and a new car with new rally breed technology.

I would not call the EVO VIII a race car by any measure, for example the engine in stock form is not designed to take high G's (can you say lack of dry sump oil lubrication system???) And the rally version of the Evo, is substantially different from a road going version of an EVO VIII.

BTW: I'm not dissing rally car drivers or their cars, I think that they are the drivers with the *best* car control skills all around.

Ken

like I said, you have to see it to believe it. its not fun getting beat by a car that is half the cost of yours and cost the engine size. Im not going to argue with you, but this what I have done, I would show any of you the potential of the car but my car is not driveable.

CerberusM5 said:
A stock Evo cannot outrun most of those cars you referenced, especially at higher speeds.

LOL... HAHAHAHAHAHA

JDM NSX said:
I would show any of you the potential of the car but my car is not driveable.

That doesn't say much about your EVO now does it.

JDM NSX said:
like I said, you have to see it to believe it. its not fun getting beat by a car that is half the cost of yours and cost the engine size. Im not going to argue with you, but this what I have done, I would show any of you the potential of the car but my car is not driveable.

I'm not at all dogging the EVO and think it is a very capable car for the money, but you are comparing a modded EVO to other stock cars. Even so, it wouldn't beat a Z06 driven properly unless you have some major upgrades which would mean the EVO could burn itself up really quickly.

CerberusM5 said:
A stock Evo cannot outrun most of those cars you referenced, especially at higher speeds. I've raced several in my M5 on the Interstate and from a roll and they don't have a chance. Once we get past 100, my M5 buries the Evo quickly in my rearview mirror. Against a ZO6, the Evo would get absolutely crushed from any speed except for maybe 0 to 30.

A lightly modified Evo would have a better chance of keeping up, but once you reach higher speeds, cars such as the ZO6 will pull away. Sorry, but the Evo is not that that fast.

There is no doubt the Evo 8 offers a lot of performance for such a cheap car. However, there is no comparison between the NSX and Evo. The NSX is easily the superior car.

The Evo 8 fq 400 (UK model) comes with a 3 year warranty and looks like it fixed the top speed issue. It is a bit more pricy but you gets what you pays for.
http://www.rapidcars.com/fq400.php

Regards,

Patrick

spartan2-3 said:
I had a chance to test several "race prepped EVOVIII's" on the straights of Thunderhill, though they were better drivers they had difficulties pulling away from the short straightaways :smile: .

I'm curious what kind of mods do you have on your NSX and what laptimes do you do at Thill with your NSX?

Ken

P.S. An Evo MR has better gearing too, so more than likely the EVO's were the base EVOVIII's

jlindy said:
I'm not at all dogging the EVO and think it is a very capable car for the money, but you are comparing a modded EVO to other stock cars. Even so, it wouldn't beat a Z06 driven properly unless you have some major upgrades which would mean the EVO could burn itself up really quickly.

Yep, just look at the results for OTC last year and the fact that Mitsubishi voids the warranty of EVO's if they participate in Auto-x's or track events.

Ken

Andrie Hartanto said:
In my experience, the EVO is definitely a bang for the buck.

But in the track, stock with stock with just R compound tires, I think the NSX still faster by about 1 sec.

I'm guessing that a Evo MR would be able to keep up though. (as long as the engine does not blow up :p )

I'm still curious to know how a stock NSX can keep up with a Race Prepped EVO though. I've been on track with the Stassis Engineering EVO at various tracks and that car passes me like I'm standing still (kind of like when Kip blows by me with his SCed NSX :D)

Last edited:
SugrueNSX said:
The Evo 8 fq 400 (UK model) comes with a 3 year warranty and looks like it fixed the top speed issue. It is a bit more pricy but you gets what you pays for.
http://www.rapidcars.com/fq400.php

Regards,

Patrick

The EVO fq 400 is a different ball game. It is one fast monster, but costs 75k for a mitsu. :eek:

2slow2speed said:
I'm curious what kind of mods do you have on your NSX and what laptimes do you do at Thill with your NSX?

Ken

P.S. An Evo MR has better gearing too, so more than likely the EVO's were the base EVOVIII's

Ken,
The EVO's were skilled drivers and Im confident they were much faster than I was.

He passed me as we were pulling out of turn 15 and stayed w/him into the straights by the time we passed the tower @ 120-122 MPH he was still just 1/2 car ahead, due to my lack of Track experience I let off. Im not a track rat (yet) so I couldnt keep up throughout the course.

I've chatted with them afterwards and yes their cars were modded atleast more than my basics (H/E).

regards

This is so funny, I still have my evo 2 years old now and the Evo 9 should be out this summer. At least Mitsu has a new car every few years. I never really miss my NSX at all like I though I would and glad I sold it when I did because from the looks of it there will never be a new NSX so glad I did not wait. Also I put 3k in my Evo and run a 11.65 @ 117 MPH not too bad I think for a "Mitsu" Also this motor is Iron so it hold up well. Last week there was a evo shootout and several cars turned low 10 @ 140MPH with full weight and about 10k in mods. Still not too bad :)

With mitsu's backpaddling on warranty.....I certainly wouldn't take a new or newer car, mod it and throw the warranty out the window. Sure, you could say you'll just take the parts off and return it to stock and take it to the dealer and gamble on them covering any claims. I know of at least one friend who blew his motor and was denied warranty because they thought he was racing. Key work being "thought". They told him he was on his own and that was that. He did try to go up the ladder with Mitsu to no avail. At least with the CTSC, NSX's are still covered by warranty to a certain degree.

JDM NSX said:

You are not getting the point, no one is questioning the potential of Evo VIII, I have no doubt that you have beaten the cars you have mentioned, but your car is not stock, just as BPU+++ Supra is not stock.

we all love cars, most people know what it is capable of. It pack a lot of performance for the dollar, I love the performance of Evo VIII.

But when you are comparing a modified cars vs stock, that simply does not say much. You can make any car fast if you are willing to spend.

Factors X NSX can beat a Ferrari Enzo and it is not stock.

When your Evo become driveable again, I would love too check out the potential, I am in OC.

Last edited:
Ryanmcd2 said:
This is so funny, I still have my evo 2 years old now and the Evo 9 should be out this summer. At least Mitsu has a new car every few years. I never really miss my NSX at all like I though I would and glad I sold it when I did because from the looks of it there will never be a new NSX so glad I did not wait. Also I put 3k in my Evo and run a 11.65 @ 117 MPH not too bad I think for a "Mitsu" Also this motor is Iron so it hold up well. Last week there was a evo shootout and several cars turned low 10 @ 140MPH with full weight and about 10k in mods. Still not too bad :)

Figured you would chime in here. From what I have read, your EVO experience is not the norm. Check out how happy C&D was with their EVO with vishnu performance parts. I actually talked to a friend at a performance shop today and one of their customers is having ALL kinds of issues with his lightly modded EVO. I don't for a second doubt the potential of the EVO; however, it realibility seems to be a major issue.

I have had 0 problems and I drive it very hard. It just depends on if you know what you are doing or not. If you mod anything you take risks, I have a friend that owns a shop and used to work for mitsu he takes care of me. It seems that this car has come a long was in 2 years, the aftermarket is biger then for the NSX that has been out for 14 years. I still like my shitbox evo :) and have 32k miles without any problems and the stock clutch as well ;)

NetViper said:
Figured you would chime in here. From what I have read, your EVO experience is not the norm. Check out how happy C&D was with their EVO with vishnu performance parts. I actually talked to a friend at a performance shop today and one of their customers is having ALL kinds of issues with his lightly modded EVO. I don't for a second doubt the potential of the EVO; however, it realibility seems to be a major issue.

Name a car for 30k that can turn a lap time like the evo and seat 4 people? Read NSXFILES, Doug's friend says he likes his evo more then his F360, and he owns both. If you want ppl to say "WOW that's a NSX he must be cool" so be it. If you want something you can put 5k in and track and hang with if not beat most cars get a evo. Funny thing is I was looking at a bunch of cars and I can get pretty much anything but I keep my evo.

nsxsupra said:
You are not getting the point, no one is questioning the potential of Evo VIII, I have no doubt that you have beaten the cars you have mentioned, but your car is not stock, just as BPU+++ Supra is not stock.

we all love cars, most people know what it is capable of. It pack a lot of performance for the dollar, I love the performance of Evo VIII.

But when you are comparing a modified cars vs stock, that simply does not say much. You can make any car fast if you are willing to spend.

Factors X NSX can beat a Ferrari Enzo and it is not stock.

When your Evo become driveable again, I would love too check out the potential, I am in OC.

Topics like this have been discussed plenty of times. Apples to oranges. Salt to pepper, Exotic car to Rally car. They are different in feel and everyone is going to have their own preferences. While an Evo VIII is definitely fast from 0-60 an NSX is still a different car, it is much faster on the top end power. I agree that you can buy an Evo just because its fast and got great performance for what it costs but i'm sure many people who bought their NSX didn't buy it for the speed only let alone the power because every NSX owner could have bought a 400 hp corvette and probably had money to spare. I'm sure they bought it for the quality, the balance, and for the most part the enjoyment. If you enjoy the feel of a turbo charged 4 wheel drive rally car then the Evo is probably more suited for you. If you enjoy the feel of an N/A engine that you can go rev happy with then the NSX would be the soul winner in that case. When I drove the evo it was definitely fast, theres no question about it, but to me it wasn't as fun to drive as the NSX or even our Integra Type R ( which is extremely rev happy :biggrin: ). I dunno I guess I just like N/A engines better then turbo ones although turbo's can generate huge amounts of power I just like the thrill of the VTEC screaming.
-Julia

Back