• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs GTR on freshalloy

Gee, I wonder how many people there bashing the NSX actually own GTR's...

Personally, I love the NSX and the GTR. Both are engineering marvels of the highest standards but then again, totally different at the same time.

Of course it's biased, it's in a GTR forum. The same thread here would be biased towards the NSX.

In my opinion GTRPower/Nick summed it up perfectly when he said: "If I wanted to drive an NSX I would have bought one."

Likewise, if most NSX owners wanted a GTR, we would have bought one.

Wouldn't it be boring if everyone liked the same car?

Originally posted by Lud:
In my opinion GTRPower/Nick summed it up perfectly when he said: "If I wanted to drive an NSX I would have bought one."

Wouldn't it be boring if everyone liked the same car?

I agreed with SupraPower:

Stock vs. stock it really depends on the racetrack. In my opinion the NSX is more sportscar than the GT-R. It's lighter, more responsive (NA engine), better balanced, more exotic, more pure. The GT-R is a factory modified GT coupe.

But Psypher had to respond back:

And i totally agree with your assessment that the GT-R isnt a sports car. In fact the, GT-R is a SUPERcar, not a sportscar. please, calling any skyline simply a factory modified grand tourer is an insult to the car's heritage.

Calling a GT-R a Supercar and the NSX a mere sports car? I don't know about that. IMO the NSX barely makes the Sports car category. As a guideline I generally tend to think of pure sports cars as mid-engine, (or front midship), 2-seater, lighter than 3000 lbs, and a power/weight (hp/kg) of .20 or greater.

I can only think of 3 off the top of my head:

Zanardi/NSX-R
Elise/Exige/340R
FD3S Rx7

And maybe on a good day, an M Coupe.

Cars like Supras, 300ZX's, 3000GT's, and GT-R's definitely fall over that 'too heavy to be called a sports car' line.

Besides, by design, they have a back seat, which tells me the manufacturer didn't approach the car with the no-compromise design in mind.

You can always make more power, Forced Induction, Swap, whatever.

But you can only lighten the frame so much, and lower the center of gravity so much. The properties of a vehicle inherent to its design (ie the ones you can't change) determine a cars type.

That's a good point.

On another note, comparing cars is good fun and all, but I find it pointless to say that any one car is down right better than any other car. It all depends on what someone wants out of their car.

For example, I personally don't want a back seat in my car because I hate driving all the way to my mom's house toting my sisters and their friends around just because my mom is too "tired" to do it. So, a car with a back seat loses points in my book, whereas, for many people, a back seat is a plus.

That philosophy can be applied to a car's performance as well: many people here want the NSX to have more power. I personally don't care if Honda gives it a bigger engine or not... it's already fast, I just want a car that is slick and "zippy" and nimble. So if putting a heavier engine in the car would be desasterous to the car's agility, then I'm against it, but many others would disagree.

All cars on the road have some combination of characteristics that appeal to someone, and that combination of characteristics is going to outweigh all others when the buyer ultimately makes his choice.

Sounds like we have the same taste in cars, naaman.
icon14.gif

I also prefer two-door cars with tiny or no backseats so I don't have to perform taxi duties around my family.
wink.gif

Having access to both i might be able to offer a lightly unbiased opinion.

1991 NSX, 17/18 Advan SAR3's with JIC FLA2 Coilovers, Intake, stock exhast.

1997 GTR VSpec HKS Intake, Kakimoto Exhaust, GAB Coilovers, 18x9.5 Wheels/MonoLug Conversion

NSX, definitely better handling (because of weight difference) more responsive, easy to control, underpowered. gets the looks from the porsche, vette, ferrari owners, and the girls. This is the car i would take to a autocross event. this is definitely a keeper. 6sp converision & 3300 ~ 3400cc conversion in progress. this car is daily driven.

GTR, definitely more power, and more power potential. too heavy. get the looks from every kid with a riced out civic. they chase me home, i have to do over double the speed limit, and loop my neighborhood twice to lose them, if i dont they call their friends on their cell phones, and they multiply.
This is the car i would take to a drag race. This car is for sale $65,000. Also has Greddy front lip & side skirts, bomex rear lip and lip spoiler, Nismo oil cooler with optional ducting kit for cooler. Pioneer DVD system, Greddy guages, and Bride Seats. Its white, and has Signal Auto broken-up stripe package, carbon door garnishes, polished valve cover and turbo bits, Uhhhhh, i'm probably forgetting more. Its the fully loaded Vspec model with the factory HID headlamps, really clean.... have some slotted rotors, and performace pads on the way too. forgot how many Km it has, but it isnt a whole lot. email me and i'll get you more details.

-Ray

Originally posted by Rubber Chicken:
Cars like Supras, 300ZX's, 3000GT's, and GT-R's definitely fall over that 'too heavy to be called a sports car' line.

Do the 911 Turbo and Viper also fall into that category?

Michael.

Originally posted by mdoan300:
Do the 911 Turbo and Viper also fall into that category?

Michael.

The 911T is an exception to the rule no matter which side of the line you put it on.

Its on the porky side (3380 lbs), and its got a back seat, so that says GT.

But its center of gravity is fairly low, and its mid/rear engine'd.

I'd call the Viper a very heavy sports car. (3500 lbs)

There's a ton of gray area.

I think of the Lotus 340R the best example of a purebred sports car. (Less is more philosophy)

And the Ferrari 456 GT or the BMW 850Csi as the best examples of the quintessential GT car. (Huge engine, gobs of torque)

Everything in between is well... in between.

[This message has been edited by Rubber Chicken (edited 07 March 2003).]

Despite the Skyline's weight, it makes up for a very advanced AWD system. I agree with the 300ZX, Supra, and 3000GT being more of GT cars.

[This message has been edited by Dan H (edited 07 March 2003).]

all i can say is that i have a vid of the nsx-r vs the r34 skyline gtr and the nsx-r beats the gtr...nsx: 12.805...gtr: 12.945...btw it was down a drag strip and i am assuming this was in stock form

lata

Back