• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXPO 2001 Update

Greetings to all NSX owners everywhere! This is the latest update on our plans for NSXPO 2001, which will take place in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, October 17-21, 2001.

As most of you know, NSXPO is the annual national gathering of NSX’s held by the NSX Club of America. Since the first event in 1997, NSXPO has featured some of the greatest race tracks in the world, including Mid-Ohio, Laguna Seca, and Road Atlanta. This year’s event will take place in Elkhart Lake and will feature the use of the world-famous, four-mile Road America racetrack ( http://www.roadamerica.com/ ) for a two-day track event.

Plans are moving along smoothly. We expect the event website to be up later this spring at http://www.nsxpo.com Event registration will start some time in late August or early September. At that time we will make the registration forms available on the event website, as well as mailing them to all members of the NSX Club of America. If you’re not already a member of the club, now would be a good time to join. For more information see the club’s website at http://www.nsxca.org

Elkhart Lake is a very small town located on the shore of picturesque Elkhart Lake, 60 miles north of Milwaukee and 150 miles north of Chicago. The weather in October is very pleasant, with normal high temperatures in the upper fifties.

The event activities are still being arranged, but several are worth noting, particularly for those who wish to start thinking about reservations for hotels and airline flights. The event will begin with a reception at the shop of Peter "P.D." Cunningham’s RealTime Racing in the Milwaukee area early evening on Wednesday, October 17. RealTime runs the championship leading Integra Type R’s as well as the World Challenge NSX driven by Peter. The race cars will be out, on their way to a race over the weekend, but Peter will be at the shop to host us.

The following day (Thursday the 18th) will include lunch and tours at the EAA AirVenture Museum of the Experimental Aircraft Association ( http://museum.eaa.org/ ) in Oshkosh. Optional rides in vintage aircraft at the museum will also be available. Friday will include seminars and a concours at the headquarters hotel, and the optional track event at Road America will take place on Saturday and Sunday. Full tech support at the track will be provided by Acura of Brookfield and their top-notch mechanics. Acura of Brookfield will also be making their facility west of Milwaukee available for NSX service and any other special needs.

For travelers flying to the event, Milwaukee’s General Mitchell International Airport (one hour drive from Elkhart Lake) offers non-stop flights to cities throughout North America, and is the hub of Midwest Express Airlines, widely recognized for their first-class service at economy-class prices. Chicago O’Hare International Airport (two and a half hours drive) is a hub for United Airlines and American Airlines; in addition to its extensive domestic service, O’Hare has non-stop flights to most major cities in Europe and Asia. Chicago Midway Airport (three hours drive) offers bargain flights within the United States on several low-cost domestic carriers, including American Trans Air (ATA) and Southwest Airlines.

Our headquarters hotel will be The Osthoff Resort ( http://www.osthoff.com/ ), one half mile from Road America. Unlike more traditional accommodations, the Osthoff will provide our group with a sense of character during our stay; this is not a hotel, but rather, a luxury resort community. The Osthoff opened in 1995 on the shores of beautiful Elkhart Lake in the heart of this historic resort destination. Four seasons of recreation, breathtaking scenery and Old World charm combine with all the services and amenities one would expect from a contemporary resort hotel with a rating of Four Diamonds from the AAA.

The Osthoff is a collection of 174 condominium units available for rental. Each is a suite with one, two, or three bedrooms. Each suite contains a fully-equipped kitchen, dining area, living room with fireplace and private balcony. Many have whirlpool baths. Suites range in size from 650 sq.ft. to 2,300 sq.ft. Because the two- and three-bedroom suites all have two bathrooms, we expect that many attendees may wish to share them in order to achieve a more reasonable per-person cost while still maintaining a measure of privacy. If any attendees wish to share a suite but don’t know anyone else willing to do so, the club will do our best to match up any such attendees we are aware of. The number of one-bedroom suites is limited and they will likely go quickly.

Our group rates at the Osthoff are $130-160 for one-bedroom suites, $145-195 for two-bedroom suites, and $190-255 for three-bedroom suites. Mention the "NSX Club of America" to ensure that you receive our rate. Reservations must be made by September 16, 2001. Please take note that it is your responsibility for making your own hotel reservation.

The Osthoff Resort
101 Osthoff Avenue
Elkhart Lake, WI 53020-0151
Toll-free 800-876-3399
Local 920-876-3366
Fax 920-876-3228
[email protected] http://www.osthoff.com/

For anyone seeking lower cost accommodations, there are numerous budget motels in nearby Plymouth and Sheboygan. A list will be included in the event packet mailed to all who register to attend.

If you have any questions, please feel free to direct them to the NSXPO 2001 planning committee at [email protected] We're all looking forward to seeing you in Wisconsin!

keN SaX
Director, NSXPO 2001
On behalf of the NSXPO 2001 Planning Committee:
Ryan Brooks
Bryan Hunter
Steve Jenkins
Chuck Mirenda
Phil Mirenda
John Murray
Dan O'Haver
Richard Ruck
keN SaX
Ron Stafford
Lewis Ting
Shanti Traskowski
John Vasos
Alex Vizcarra

I was really looking forward to going to the next NSXPO, but Wisconsin in the Fall? And, Elkhart Lake is such a piddly town. That's hard to get excited about. : (

There is a reason most conventions happen in sunny locations. I don't want to take a chance on a road trip in my NSX that will almost certainly involve cold, rain or snow. Maybe I'll see you guys in '02 - if it's someplace warm.

Maybe I'll see you guys in '02 - if it's someplace warm.[/B][/QUOTE]

I bet you will be there in 2002, it should be at Texas Motor Speedway (I think).

I was really looking forward to going to the next NSXPO, but Wisconsin in the Fall?

I've done track events in Wisconsin in October - sun shining (October is the driest month of the year), pleasant temperatures (upper fifties), drivers are comfortable, no worry about the brakes or engine overheating - that's PERFECT track weather, as far as I'm concerned. And Road America is an awesome track - four miles long (no concerns about cars bunching up), beautiful scenery, and the challenges of The Kink and Canada Corner.

I've also done track events down south - sun blazing, temperatures hovering in the upper nineties with humidity to match, my helmet liner drenched with sweat, my body drenched with sweat, hard to concentrate because of fatigue. With weather like that, I don't find them much fun.

Sorry you can't make it, David - those who come are going to have a terrific time without you.

Elkhart Lake is such a piddly town. That's hard to get excited about.

Many folks just don’t understand what NSXPO is all about. Inevitably, after every NSXPO, there are always people who hear about how it was and say, "Damn! I wish I had gone - I didn’t know it was going to be THAT MUCH FUN!"

Fact of the matter is, the amount of time spent in town (i.e. away from NSXPO) during the four or five days of the event is little to none. No one from NSXPO was touring Atlanta during NSXPO 2000, or San Francisco during NSXPO ’99. Everybody was enjoying those days at the event venues, being with the cars, having really great meals together, meeting the people they had read on the e-mail lists and the forums (even Lud himself), hearing the guest speakers, talking with the vendors and seeing their wares, watching the after-dinner entertainment, and driving in (or watching) the track event. All of those things can go on in a small town or a big city, it doesn’t matter - you’re liable to have your fondest memories, not from any sightseeing, but rather from these activities, or from conversations sitting around the hotel bar, or from driving up there in a convoy of maybe a dozen NSX’s from your home town, driving together and talking over the two-way radios the whole way - the ultimate road trip.

Of course, if you ARE interested in sightseeing, you can always spend a few days on your way home after the event, in the nearby city of Chicago (not a small town) with all the new friends that you made at NSXPO.

Another fun thing about NSXPO is that everyone there has an NSX. No one is trying to impress anyone or show anyone up. People will enjoy seeing all the different mods, the different wheels, etc. No one cares who’s the fastest on the track (no trophies or winners) or who has the shiniest car etc. These are your people, like getting together with your family (and you only need to hang out with the family members you like hanging with).

I would encourage anyone who is thinking about going to check out the NSXPO websites, both in Lud’s FAQ:
http://www.nsxprime.com/Events/2000/nsxpo2000/nsxpo_2000.htm http://www.nsxprime.com/Events/1999/nsxpo99/nsxpo99.htm http://www.nsxprime.com/Events/1998/nsxpo98/nsxpo1998.htm

as well as on the official NSXPO website at http://www.nsxpo.com/nsxpo and see if this is something that sounds like fun to you. If you think you’ll enjoy it, please come and find out for yourself what it’s all about!

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 22 March 2001).]

Originally posted by David:
I don't want to take a chance on a road trip in my NSX that will almost certainly involve cold, rain or snow. Maybe I'll see you guys in '02 - if it's someplace warm.

Born and raised in Wisconsin - I guarantee no SNOW in OCTOBER!!! Frost in the morning is within the realm of possibility but only barely. It won't be 80 degrees but highs in the mid-50's to low 60's are likely. Probably warmer than San Francisco - and probably drier. There is a reason I live in Florida now, but that is November - April.

------------------
BobsYT
2000 Red/Black #81

I guarantee no SNOW in OCTOBER!!!

Of course not! Actually, the weather is just as Bob described. This means that, in terms of daily highs and the amount of rain and snow, the weather in October in Wisconsin is similar to the weather in January in places like Austin and Los Angeles*. (Except that there’s twice as much snow in Austin.
smile.gif
) So what do you folks who live in these places do in the winter, when the sun is out and it's in the fifties or sixties - drive your NSX’s, or is the weather too crappy for you?
biggrin.gif

*Source: http://www.srcc.lsu.edu/ccd.html

To say your not coming because "most conventions are held in a nice warm sunny climate" is hardly a good reason. It seems to me that are 2 or 3 really good reasons to come to any NSXPO.
1&2) To see good people, and have a good time with the NSX as a centerpiece, and a common interest.
3)The track event! Road America is one of the best tracks IN THE WORLD!!! yes, IN THE WORLD, not just the US. It has everything you could want from a track, elevation changes, speed, technicality, not to mention an absolutely beautiful setting.

As far as the weather goes, October is a beautiful dry, and scenic month in the mid-west. My birthday is Oct 22nd (feel free to buy me a drink after the driving is over on sunday) and I can distinctly remember a ton of beautiful days growing up, and recently in the midwest on my birthday.
As far as Elkhart lake goes, yes it is small, but it also holds a racing history that can rival even Watkins Glen. And after all, its the company that makes something fun, not the locale!

Come and Enjoy, you wont be dissapointed!!(unless your one of those who watches from behind their key board and says " I coulda, I shoulda")

See you there...
Steve

Originally posted by Khuang:
Maybe I'll see you guys in '02 - if it's someplace warm.

I bet you will be there in 2002, it should be at Texas Motor Speedway (I think).[/B][/QUOTE]

I've been at all of the NSXPO's held to date and I've never had to say "I wish I would have gone". Each one has their own special memories and allowed me to run on the greatest tracks in the country (Second Creek excepted, but we had to start somewhere). Road America is a terrific venue that has a lot of history. I would also wager, that you will not be any colder at Road America than I was at Laguna Seca (plus you won't wake up with the salt film on your car every morning). For most of us, getting together at NSXPO is everything Ken mentioned in his earlier post.

Kinda early to start talking but..... I'm actually thinking of driving up from Ft. Lauderdale. I didn't make it to Atlanta this past year and even hemmed and hawed about those miles, but I think it's time to start driving this thing more.... Might be a great experience to drive all the way up there... but i am worried about the weather through the rest of the states in October. Oh well, we'll see. if a few other Flrida NSXers are contemplating this, then my decision may get a whole lot easier.

------------------
Todd Arnold
NSXotic.gif

http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
I'm actually thinking of driving up from Ft. Lauderdale.... but i am worried about the weather through the rest of the states in October

Nothing to worry about there either. I drove down to Atlanta last year (same weekend) and the weather was absolutely beautiful Start to Finish. This is the same drive you'll do , except for the Atlanta to FL leg!

Steve

Nothing to worry about there either. I drove down to Atlanta last year (same weekend) and the weather was absolutely beautiful Start to Finish.

You'll also see lots of colorful fall foliage along the way. That time of year (third week in October) it was at its peak in states like Kentucky and Tennessee. Gorgeous.

This just may be the closet event to me, I may have to attend! HAHA. One "piddly" town to another I guess.

Unless you guys have plans going to Minneapolis?

[This message has been edited by PUREVIL (edited 29 March 2001).]

Sold! I may make the trek, even though I am just a Wanna-be.I love a good car show. Dad is thinking of possibly attending as well (and he actually has an NSX) Good excuse for some Father-Son hang out time.

------------------
But you knew that right?

Sold! I may make the trek, even though I am just a Wanna-be.I love a good car show. Dad is thinking of possibly attending as well (and he actually has an NSX) Good excuse for some Father-Son hang out time.

Tell Dad to DEFINITELY come, and bring the NSX! Part of the fun is driving to the event with a whole bunch of NSX's, and talking the whole way on the two-way radios. There will undoubtedly be folks coming from the Northeast with whom you can hook up. Maybe there will be a meeting point in Cleveland so that folks coming from New England via I-90 and others from NY/NJ/PA via I-80 can all form one convoy? It's an easy one day drive from Cleveland (figure 8-9 hours). Get there in time to tour Peter's shop Wednesday evening!

I've been waiting to go to an NSXPO, but to Wisconsin from LA is more than I can handle.

Half way across the country is my limit.
biggrin.gif

Wonder if anyone from CA is driving there (aside from Alex... I figure he will).

Originally posted by ilya:
Half way across the country is my limit.
biggrin.gif

Wonder if anyone from CA is driving there (aside from Alex... I figure he will).

I beleive there were several to make the trek to ATL last year! If the two way drive is too much, consider driving one way and shipping the other!!

I may be able to help with shipping, and provide a place to receive cars that are being shipped in, and leave cars for return shipping. We send and receive exotic cars from my place of employment almost daily!

More on that closer to the event!

Steve

I can look up from my desk, and see my flight reservations hanging before me. The southwest caravan will be convening in Tulsa overnight, then the DRIVE!!!! Yippeekiyaaa

Phil

------------------
See you all in Wisconsin!

Hey guys, I wonder if one is totally lost if you don't bring your own car? I mean you miss all the goodies of swoshing down the track, and from what I've herd here, is a blaze. So is it worth the flight?

------------------
Enjoying life at 8.000 RPM

Swede,

Last year in Atlanta I did not bring my car. I certainly was not lost. There are plenty of passenger seats empty, and in fact I drove almost as much as if I would have had my car.

I had a great time, even though I was not able to stay for the track event. So if you can make it you should, you will not be disappointed.

LarryB

I just got back from 4 days at Road America for the Brian Redman International Challenge. This is a HUGE Vintage raceing weekend, This year was the Can-Am reunion with all types of late 60's-early 70's Can-Am cars. There was also an Auction at the Ostoff (The NSXPO headquarter hotel) on the lawn where we will be having our concours. It was absolutely stunning. The setting is unbeleivably nice, as is the hotel and accomidations.
As for the track, I was able to watch the races from literaly every Vantage point there is, and man is this an awesome, and beautiful track. Its like they carved it out of the hilly woodlands.
I truly feel sorry for anyone who will be missing this years NSXPO. It should prove to be amazing in the fall!!!

Steve
smile.gif
Still smiling from the sounds and smells and sites of a weekend at the track!!!!!!

Back