• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX's for $20k

Hey all. I just signed up. A friend of mine is looking for an NSX and asked me to help find out how much they cost. He's got a decent collection of cars so he doesn't have a whole lot to spend. I'm noticing you can get a decent-looking 1991 NSX for around $20k.. Just what is one getting into when buying a car like this for a price like that? I know this is Honda - so the cars are extremely reliable - but how long does that reliability last? And, is the car very expensive to repair?

I tell him to look for a Vette because I'm guessing it'll be less expensive to fix. But, I can't argue with him about the NSX - it's one really, really hot car...

As for cost of repair, I would consider it to be higher than average but not as bad as an italian sports car. A clutch replacement is around 2000 vs. average car being much less than 1000. Also, while the motor is reliable there are a lot of other things that tend to break eventually and cost a bunch of money to fix. (window motors, A/C, stereo, antennas, window seals, etc) Don't let your friend buy the car if he is going to expect to spend the same amount in maintenance as a civic or accord. He will be dissapointed. All that said I feel owning a NSX is a wonderful experience and I couldn't be happier with it. (Unless I had unlimited money and didn't care about spending 400 bucks for a window motor :( )

couldn't agree more

I'd approach low to mid 20's NSX's with care. One with 73,000 miles should go closer to 30 or even mid 30's. At that price, there should be a bunch of people jumping on it - if the description is accurate. Anybody have a CarFax account?

Ponyboy said:
I'd approach low to mid 20's NSX's with care. One with 73,000 miles should go closer to 30 or even mid 30's. At that price, there should be a bunch of people jumping on it - if the description is accurate. Anybody have a CarFax account?

It seems like an excellent find, if I was looking for an NSX in that price range I would be setting up a pre-buy inspection and finding a flight.

There have been threads about this topic in the past and I'm a firm believer there are clean NSX's available for $25K.

vintagecarman said:
It seems like an excellent find, if I was looking for an NSX in that price range I would be setting up a pre-buy inspection and finding a flight.

There have been threads about this topic in the past and I'm a firm believer there are clean NSX's available for $25K.
ya there are alot for like 25,000 i have seen a few 91's even up to 94's. thats my plan

Hi All,

This is my first post on NSX Prime! Anyway, just wanted to mention that the car listed in the AutoTrader was apparently sold on ebay back in August for just under $24k. Of course, I have no way of knowing if the sale went through successfully or not... just thought I'd mention it. The ebay ad indicated that the mileage on the car was 73,200.

If the sale was successful, I'd be concerned that the new owner is already trying to sell it again.

Sal Collaziano said:
Hey all. I just signed up. A friend of mine is looking for an NSX and asked me to help find out how much they cost. He's got a decent collection of cars so he doesn't have a whole lot to spend. I'm noticing you can get a decent-looking 1991 NSX for around $20k.. Just what is one getting into when buying a car like this for a price like that? I know this is Honda - so the cars are extremely reliable - but how long does that reliability last? And, is the car very expensive to repair?

I tell him to look for a Vette because I'm guessing it'll be less expensive to fix. But, I can't argue with him about the NSX - it's one really, really hot car...

If your friend has a collection of cars, but only wants to spend $20,000 on an NSX, I would advise him to sell one or more of the 'other' cars and buy a higher quality NSX. Unless he gets really lucky, the NSX's in the $20,000 or below range are there for a reason. Unsually that reason is that they require an additional $6,000 or more to make them right. ;)

As for cost of repair, I would consider it to be higher than average but not as bad as an italian sports car.

Amen, Brother. I owned a Ferarri 328 years back, and this was the
menu at the shop:

Clutch: $4,500
15K service: $ 3,200
30K service (includes valves) $ 4,700

I sold it and bought my X, never looked back. All the style and performance with Honda reliability and parts/service.

Vegas Boy....any more details on that "Wife with lots of mods" in your sig?? ;)

Goes along with living in sin city....do the math! ;)

(she made me to blur her face to use that pic, which is why it looks a little funny, and its a wig, too. Modeling job for a guitar company)

Guns, guitars, girls and NSX...what esle does a man need, I ask? :D
Now if I can just get my ABS fixed..... :rolleyes:

Vegas Boy said:
Goes along with living in sin city....do the math! ;)

(she made me to blur her face to use that pic, which is why it looks a little funny, and its a wig, too. Modeling job for a guitar company)

Guns, guitars, girls and NSX...what esle does a man need, I ask? :D
Now if I can just get my ABS fixed..... :rolleyes:

Well, that is it...I am moving to Vegas now. :D

nsxtasy said:
That car is not a "low mile NSX" (and I don't think you can be sure it is "clean" without inspecting it in person). Average mileage on NSXs is 5,000 miles per year and that car's mileage is slightly above average.

you are 100% right, I stand corrected.

I will be sure to hold off on any comments or assumptions until the car has been inspected :rolleyes:

nsxtasy said:
...Average mileage on NSXs is 5,000 miles per year and that car's mileage is slightly above average.

HAHAHA!! Not for me!! If I had it my way (i.e.- more time off from work) I would put 50,000 miles per year on my NSX's. I think I had one month where I put 5,000 miles on my '91 NSX....in just one month. :)

EssTooKayTD said:
yeah, I say tell him to definitely wait and save up some more funds to afford a well maintained 91, and have money left for manitenance.

Is it unheard of for an owner to handle the maintenance? I'm no rookie behind a wrench, but I also don't have things like a lift. For instance, I do all the work on the racecar, and I brought my CRX back from the dead. With that in mind, is there any reason not to plan on maintaining an NSX myself?

nsxtasy said:
That car is not a "low mile NSX" (and I don't think you can be sure it is "clean" without inspecting it in person). Average mileage on NSXs is 5,000 miles per year and that car's mileage is slightly above average.

Finding an early 90"s NSX that has been driven 5K per year is nearly impossible. In my opinion compared to most early 90 models, it has low miles. Unless the seller was a liar, the add say's clean dealer maintained.

vintagecarman said:
Finding an early 90"s NSX that has been driven 5K per year is nearly impossible.
Not true. That is the average figure, and that is supported by surveys here. (5K miles per year the average figure among NSXs of all vintages, not just early ones). However, most NSXs with average mileage or below are sold in private transactions, and never reach dealers. Many are sold to friends and associates, while many others are sold in forums such as NSXprime. They often sell very quickly, while higher-mileage cars may remain up for sale for extended periods. Also, higher-mileage cars are more likely to be sold at dealerships; as a result, the listings on sites like Autotrader, where the majority are listed by dealers, tend to consist of higher-mileage cars.

Are lower-mileage cars more difficult to find? Yes, because they tend not to be listed for long periods of time. But plenty of them are out there.

Back