• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize

Look most of you, even B.O. was surprised. Yet, it was awarded for hope that the committee wanted to foster. Showing him the carrot if you like to put it.

Why don't they pick the Iranian President where the carrot is, he might diverse his nuclear ambition to a peaceful way.

Why don't they pick the Iranian President where the carrot is, he might diverse his nuclear ambition to a peaceful way.

I could only speculate for influential reasons why he was choosen over M. Ahmadinejad. But really, you think Ahmadinejad should get it???

More importantly, maybe this award reflects on us collectively as a nation.

I could only speculate for influential reasons why he was choosen over M. Ahmadinejad. But really, you think Ahmadinejad should get it???

More importantly, maybe this award reflects on us collectively as a nation.

There would be a backfire if Mr. O does not do as he preaches. However, No one would know if Mr.Ahmadinejad would change his nuclear ambition after receiving the Prize, he might or might not, but it is an encourage for him to change his attitude.

Here is Barack's official response to the award, verbatim:

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

There would be a backfire if Mr. O does not do as he preaches. However, No one would know if Mr.Ahmadinejad would change his nuclear ambition after receiving the Prize, he might or might not, but it is an encourage for him to change his attitude.

he would use it as a sign of recognition of his struggle against 'zionism' and american meddling in middle-east's affairs.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that some of this is because the president of the country with the most tanks, bombs, and missiles in the world is not saying things like "we'll hun'em down and smok'em out"...

Sometimes it's not about what you've done, it's about what you haven't done.

Last edited:
Man, you guys need to chill. I think the award has been given premature but Obama acknowledges this. He definitely deserves this and I agree ^^ It's not always what you've done, but maybe sometimes what you haven't done.

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

Last edited:
Man, you guys need to chill. I think the award has been given premature but Obama acknowledges this. He definitely deserves this and I agree ^^ It's not always what you've done, but maybe sometimes what you haven't done.
He's done nothing yet!! PLAIN & SIMPLE.

What you haven't done? Fine......we may as well give graduate degrees to all those who have not earned enough credits! :confused:

Awarding a noble peace prize based on hope.....rather than deeds or the summation of ones' life achievements is a very slippery slope.....so much so that it shakes the foundation of what I thought the prize was about.:frown:

I have to confess I had to look up what the award actually stands for. When I initially heard he won I assumed that the award was based on who could spend the most money that their country doesn't actually have...

Awarding a noble peace prize based on hope.....rather than deeds or the summation of ones' life achievements is a very slippery slope.....so much so that it shakes the foundation of what I thought the prize was about.:frown:

If this is so true, he should share the Prize with Mr. Kim Jong-il and Mr.Ahmadinejad and let's hope we will live in a harmony :tongue:

+ 1.

This "award" or "prize" has no meaning any more whatsoever.
Perhaps BHO will donate his monetary winnings to Houston or Detroit in view of the past few days happenings. :rolleyes:

Excuse my lack of news(just got back from vacation), but what happened in Dtroit and Houston?

WillErickson - It that you and your car in the snow:biggrin: - That's awesome!

Sorry - where we discussing something more important:wink:. I don't get the award either. I want to know who else was nominated. Incidentally, I heard on CNN or Fox that Gandhi was never awarded the Peace Prize. I find that bizarre.

+1

uh-mazing.

WillErickson - It that you and your car in the snow:biggrin: - That's awesome!

Sorry - where we discussing something more important:wink:. I don't get the award either. I want to know who else was nominated. Incidentally, I heard on CNN or Fox that Gandhi was never awarded the Peace Prize. I find that bizarre.

Yeah neither Ghandi nor the Dalai Lama seem to have been quite peaceful enough. LOL

Last edited:
I fear the nobel commitee is trying to influence geopolitical events with this one:rolleyes: So now we have more evidence to support this wild notion that there is this growing movement to try to turn a carear Chicago politician into the world president:confused: I'm actualy happy that other countries seem to embrace him more so than past presidents,but loony dictators and wacky demigods don't care a rats ass about anything he says,,,,,,and right now thats all we have.....

I fear the nobel commitee is trying to influence geopolitical events with this one:rolleyes:
agreed. (without knowing the award history) i think it sets an unfortunate precedent for what has been a well-regarded organization. surely they could have awarded it to an individual with long history of contributions to the cause of peace.

I'm not too happy with this award decision ....there are plenty of other people that should have one this award.
I'm sure there are people that have worked half of their life just to become a nominee in hopes of this achievement .
All politics aside he hasn't made any changes yet to deserve it. If he just up and pulled every last one of our troops out
Tried to call an end to the war on terror yeah....that is a peaceful act. But he hasn't. I have a lot of family in the military
And I would love to have them home...but I unconditionally support them. Anyways... Him threatening with national healthcare...
Not peaceful. Gonna be a nightmare. Cash for clunkers....not peaceful. One of the largest spending bills ever passed and put our nation
In extreme debt... Not peaceful. Putting us in debt with china? Prolly gonna put us in war. Not peaceful lol.
The pattern that I see? I would have nominated bush jr before obama...atleast bush would go kick some ass and try for
A peaceful resolution. Nobel peace prize ? I'm disappointed in this decision

Bill

A good question would be...."How can someone be awarded a Nobel PEACE prize while having two WARS in the Middle East?" :confused:

Back