• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Occational Unstable Idle ?

Sometimes the RPMs will flucuate a few hundred RPMs in both directions... but only sometimes... why is this? It doesnt seem to matter if its warm or not...

It is a bit past its scheduled maintenance... but not by that much..

I have experienced the same thing. Curious to see what everyone else has to say.

------------------
Jason

It could be a wide variety of problems. Did you ever see a check engine light?

What have you done to your car lately? Any kind of chip, or other performance mod?

First, let me mention that you will see this happen if you have your A/C on (the A/C compressor motor runs off a belt on the engine which will kick on and off if the A/C is on).

Start with the basics. Start with where the air enters the engine. Check the air filter, how does it look. Check the spark plugs. Make sure you have been running good gas. Lots more things it could be, but checking out the basics is a good step before having it looked at by a pro. Idle sensor could be bad, MAP sensor, throttle valve position sensor, etc.

-- C

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

I've found that a majority of the time, when the car is idling funny it is due to a vacumn leak somewhere or something to the effect of the intake manifold.

I have a '92 with similar symptoms. At the time, the plugs were new, clean air filter, and the A/C was also off. The dealer immediately told me it was the Electronic Air Control and wanted to replace it. Before agreeing to replace the unit, I read through the shop manual.

The manual suggested increasing the idle before replacing the unit. I increased the idle by approx two turns (if I remember correctly, I had to turn the idle counter clockwise) to compensate for the rough idle. My car idles perfectly at the correct RPM now. Problem solved.

The Electronic Air Control is attached to the side of the valve cover closest to the rear of the car. It may be difficult to spot since it is hidden by the big black cross bar that spans across the top of the engine.

It is approx. 3 to 4 inches long. You can see a picture of it on a parts Catalog Online if you go to the following site: http://www.nsxsc.com/nsxparts/
Once there, select the "Fuel/Emissions - Exhaust Section". Then look under "Throttle Body". It is item #16 and you can get the Acura part number for it.

Do yourself a favor and purchase a shop manual (see FAQ for contacts). The manual will tell you everything you need about the car. I just wish the mechanics who work at Acura could get a copy - maybe then they will fix things rather than replace them.

Back