• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ODBII Scanners

Arrrg! My 03' just threw an MIL last night, so now it is time to get an OBDII Scanner. So what do I get? I've searched the forums, but what is there is quite old and out of date. I have an iPhone, so should I get a Bluetooth or WiFi scanner? Is there a difference between scanners and readers? I want to run out and buy something right away, because I'm stressing about what ominous repairs await me, but I still want to make an intelligent choice for the future. There are no drivability issues with the car (that I can feel). I'm guessing perhaps an O2 sensor. Can anyone help me choose a scanner? I don't want to go crazy, here. I'm hoping to stay under $100.00, but if necessary will spend more.

Thanks,
Gary

I'm gonna try the bluetooth obd2 with the torque app for android, but I'm sure they have something similar for iphone. Read up on it, its pretty sweet.

I have a cen-tech model 98568.It is easy to use and can do diagnostics and clear codes.I got mine at harbor freight.

Last edited:
51rm1LN-oPL._SY300_.jpg

I got this for christmas and have just recently been playing with it. It comes with free software that gives you some basic info and clears out check engine lights, so that is handy. For an extra $50 you can get dashboard commander which is a ton o fun. For my passenger, I give them the ipad and they can really see all the neat stats about the car and trip - fun for gear heads. For me, I used a suction cup mount and put it on the left hand side so I can see stats occasionally. I am also planning on using the data log feature.

The whole thing is quite a bit more expensive than something simple like this: (http://www.amazon.com/OBDII-Engine-...qid=1365283021&sr=8-6&keywords=obd+ii+scanner) which is pretty much what places like Autozone use to check your codes for you, but if you have an iphone/ipad/android/whatever - the other stuff can make for some fun times.

I have a cen-tech model 98568.It is easy to use and can do diagnostics and clear codes.I got mine at harbor freight.

Captn Gary - visit your local Harbor Freight and spend under $100 clams for a CenTech. I've had one since 2004 (? maybe longer ?) and it's paid for itself through peace of mind. I'm no good with tools, but having some clues as to what is throwing check engine light(s) (CELs and/or MILs - same no diff.) sure helps me muddle through whatever is happening.

Best of luck. :smile:

Captn Gary,
In 2011 I bought the OBDCOM s/w and interface for my laptop ($96) to fix my wife's SLK. It works well, but the NSX hasn't tossed a code since then. What I like about the company is they offer free s/w updates, if needed, when you acquire a newer car.

On my '96, I cleared previous problems by the method of applyng a short between pins on the one connector under the passenger side dash, then counting flashes of the MIL light. I don't recall if that feature still works on your model year. (PM or call me for info). Also, if you want to take a ride to NJ, you can always use my OBDCOM.:biggrin:

For basic "what's this code stuff", as docjohn notes, the Harbor Freight stuff is hard to beat on price.

Captn Gary,
In 2011 I bought the OBDCOM s/w and interface for my laptop ($96) to fix my wife's SLK. It works well, but the NSX hasn't tossed a code since then. What I like about the company is they offer free s/w updates, if needed, when you acquire a newer car.

On my '96, I cleared previous problems by the method of applyng a short between pins on the one connector under the passenger side dash, then counting flashes of the MIL light. I don't recall if that feature still works on your model year. (PM or call me for info). Also, if you want to take a ride to NJ, you can always use my OBDCOM.:biggrin:

For basic "what's this code stuff", as docjohn notes, the Harbor Freight stuff is hard to beat on price.
Hi Frank,
Good to hear from you. Yes, you can still short the two pin connector under the glove box and count the flashes. That is how I determined I had an O2 sensor problem. I ordered an ELM 327 compatible OBD2 device that is supposed to talk Bluetooth wireless. It was only $23 dollars and is supposed to work with my iPhone, iPad or laptop. I figured for 23 bucks it was worth the try. Should be fun if it works.

Are you going to NSXPO this year. Hope so. I'm looking forward to seeing old friends (not friends that are old) this year.

All the best,
Gary

Thanks to all who contributed to this post.

+1 for a bluetooth adapter. Got mine from eBay for 20 bucks, here's an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-v1-5-Bluetooth-Super-Mini-Small-OBD2-Scanner-Adapter-Tool-TORQUE-ANDROID-/170847315772?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item27c74b273c&vxp=mtr

Spent a few bucks more on the Torque app for my Android phone, and I'm all set. I haven't had to troubleshoot my X yet (although it works just fine on it), but I've done so on at least 3 other cars since I bought the adapter and made those necessary repairs. Already paid for itself several times. With Torque, you can clear codes, store them, read real-time diagnostics, keep separate vehicle profiles... all kinds of neat and interesting features.

Hi Frank,
Good to hear from you. Yes, you can still short the two pin connector under the glove box and count the flashes. That is how I determined I had an O2 sensor problem. I ordered an ELM 327 compatible OBD2 device that is supposed to talk Bluetooth wireless. It was only $23 dollars and is supposed to work with my iPhone, iPad or laptop. I figured for 23 bucks it was worth the try. Should be fun if it works.

Are you going to NSXPO this year. Hope so. I'm looking forward to seeing old friends (not friends that are old) this year.

All the best,
Gary

Thanks to all who contributed to this post.

Hi Gary,
Jan and I plan to go to NSXPO this year. It will be great seeing you again. Not to bring up a sore point & go further off message, but did you ever make a PCB for the console light control?
Frank

I got mine and used with the Torque app and also downloaded another app called OBD Droidscan. The Droidscan app is fantastic and does everything my plug in scanner does. Really good app if you are running Droid.

Hi Frank, I must admit I never got a round to it, YET! The board is the easy part, it's the packaging and the connectors that have put me off.

Gary

- - - Updated - - -

I got mine and used with the Torque app and also downloaded another app called OBD Droidscan. The Droidscan app is fantastic and does everything my plug in scanner does. Really good app if you are running Droid.

Yeah, I've heard the Torque app with an Droid works really well. I bought a Bluetooth ELM 327 unit and tried to make it work with the iPhone. The apps that did work were pretty lame or very expensive. Many didn't work. I bit the bullet and bought another (WiFi) unit and that seems to work pretty well with my iPhone (testing still in progress). I will update the list when I'm sure all is well.

Gary

I'm beginning to reading up on bluetooth scanners that are compatible with an iPhone5.

Anyone have a favorite iPhone app + scanner combo yet?

Anyone have a favorite iPhone app + scanner combo yet?
The GoPoint dongle I linked to above works great with iDevices. I switch between the touch suction cupped to the windshield for my own viewing and the iPad for passengers who want to see what's going on (or if I am not driving) with the DashCommand app and it is super cool. Runs stable as well, I haven't had any problems with it.

Back