• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oh my god!

scorp965 said:
They are improvements in your opinion, they are not improvements from sense of Honda's design intent when they built the nsx.

You are nitpicking either silly convenience items, such as the smartenna, or personal preferance items, such as exhaust note, these are irrelevant to the discussion.

Beyond these you claim a vented hood fits this challange, but a vented hood is a compromise in several ways; you will see only an aesthetic benefit on the street, unless you're driving in a highly illegal fashion, and its performance benefit is manifested in increased downforce, which means slower top speed, as well as increased fuel consumption - if you look at the construction of the type r you will find there is a panel underneath the front end with the inclusion of this vented hood, to create a low pressure zone, and there are also other aerodynamic tweaks, such as a larger rear spoiler and rear diffuser to balance the hood out, all working as one system, after significant R/D by Honda. If your DIY modification ends at just the hood how is this actually going to effect the handling of your nsx?

You will still see the downside, but you are now playing aerodynamicist with only the butt dyno as your R/D tool.

Weight loss is great, but from reading your responses it is as though you want to pluck weight anywhere you can find it; weight loss of a pound or two from an intake scoop on one side of the middle of the car, weight loss from the exhaust at the bottom of the back of the car, etc. etc. etc. - how does this truely effect your handling, at the extreme point where this weight loss makes a difference? Have you compromised the design of your nsx in an effort to make it better? This is the danger of aftermarket.

Here is how I see it: Weight bad, HP good. I do not think that removing 2 lba out of the left fenderwell is going to upset tha handling balance:wink:
I am also not saying that there is not a gray area here where opinions come into play. I can only say I strongly disagree with the wording of the challenge. Either it is wrong or the most obvious (and therefore idiotic) statement ever, depending on how you interpet it:wink:

Shumdit said:
Here is how I see it: Weight bad, HP good. I do not think that removing 2 lba out of the left fenderwell is going to upset tha handling balance:wink:

The question is, when driving in a situation where the removal of 2lbs will make any kind of difference at all, how will it effect the car when it is all off of one side... something to consider: beyond the 2lbs off of one side of the car, if your 'weight reduction' efforts are haphazard in this fashion this 2lbs is not your only concern, you also now have increased downforce and drag on the front of your car, thanks to the hood, and you have removed a significant amount of weight from the bottom rear of your car by installing a lightweight muffler - now your car might be more inclined to oversteer.

The point was, if you modify your vehicle without looking at several angles, you get into situations where you could be doing more harm than good, or your start to specialize the car for a certain task, while losing flexiblity. This does not mean modifications are bad, that cars should not be modified, or even that "Honda knows best" - it just means research is king, and modifications aren't always better than OEM.

scorp965 said:
The question is, when driving in a situation where the removal of 2lbs will make any kind of difference at all, how will it effect the car when it is all off of one side... something to consider: .

How does the 2 doublecheeseburgers I ate for lunch upset the handling balance of the car. Maybe I should take a dump on the starter's table before I enter the autocross?:biggrin:

Shumdit said:
How does the 2 doublecheeseburgers I ate for lunch upset the handling balance of the car. Maybe I should take a dump on the starter's table before I enter the autocross?:biggrin:

Certainly this is one of the easiest 'weight reduction' methods, although depending on which side of the table you opt to use the gravatational effect of the defilement could effect your lap times.

AU_NSX said:
I challenge anyone to point out ANY OEM part on the NSX that can be done BETTER by an aftermarket part without diminishing some other aspect or compromising the design intent of the NSX...
I will play:smile: I agree that car is really darn near perfect from the factory, if I remember correctly, I enjoyed the car as just much from the day 1.

These are items that can be replaced with aftermarket without diminishing anything:

Plastic door handle- these things can snap, what was Honda thinking?
Window

Factory plastic window regulator retainers

Wheels that are some size as oem but lighter and stronger. Such as wheels in 15/16, 16/17, 17/17 combo.

Billet cam plugs- oem leaks over time, it is a common item that needs to be replaced. I had it replaced, not cheap. If it were billet from the start, it may have last a long time.

Oil pump gear- aftermarket ones are have higher strength and durability, when oem oil pump gear fails it is $$
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

While items below can be done better with some neglectable compromise, NA2s have items that are superior than NA1. From NA1 owner's stand point the factory na1 exhaust manifold are junk. I would like all the improvements from NA2 type R.

NA1 5spd gearing noteably 2nd gear have that big dip, the car is making power but you can't use it. Not getting the full potential of the car. I drive mostly on the street, having a shorter 2nd gear would be a lot more fun.

Ski_Banker said:
My biggest concern is just the go-fast crack pipe.
Same here, I know I don't need more speed, but I just can't control myself, I think it is time to get into rehap center. If I were to add another pleasure car next to NSX someday. I want something really really fast from the start, without the need of any modifications, probably C6 Z06 level. Then again, I probably end up with something like used F360 over C6 Z06, its not always about speed.

Unlike you guys......speed scares me.:wink:

FI or not FI its still a great car for the price.

I hope my NSX is finished from Status so I can make it to the meet at Acura.

I want a ride in Jason's Na-1 ctsc, hehe. Can I?:smile:

Good to be back in CA.

Stick-e-rice said:
I want a ride in Jason's Na-1 ctsc, hehe. Can I?:smile:

Good to be back in CA.
Welcome back Ton,

You are more than welcome to ride at any time:smile:

We need to remember that any item man can design/build can always be improved and that original engineering is often improved/refined as successive models come out.
Let me offer an example that is close to home; tires. The original rear tires that came on the earliest model NSXs had a very short life span. In fact a class action law suite resulted from what owners considered premature wear and a large number of free tires were made available to those original owners. Both tire compounds and the suspension geometry was changed to resolve the problem. How many of us would like to go back to the original design? Was the original design compromised or improved?

I think that there is room for both NA and FI. When I drove my NA car, it sounded great and had reasonable power. A great all around car. Now that is is FI/H/E, I think it is a better car for various reasons. Just the improvement in exhaust note is worth the money (remember- 91). I personally like the better sound and deeper vibration- again- personal preference.

The power is there only if you need it. To accelerate out of a turn or to pass a slow driver makes the car more fun for me. To go over Vail pass (10600 feet) and accelerate when I could not before is joyous.

The NSX is a great car, but now much better in my opinion. Remember. even though it is an art form, even Van Gogh would have used better pigment in his paint to prevent fading.

Don Corenman said:
I think that there is room for both NA and FI. When I drove my NA car, it sounded great and had reasonable power. A great all around car. Now that is is FI/H/E, I think it is a better car for various reasons. Just the improvement in exhaust note is worth the money (remember- 91). I personally like the better sound and deeper vibration- again- personal preference.

The power is there only if you need it. To accelerate out of a turn or to pass a slow driver makes the car more fun for me. To go over Vail pass (10600 feet) and accelerate when I could not before is joyous.

The NSX is a great car, but now much better in my opinion. Remember. even though it is an art form, even Van Gogh would have used better pigment in his paint to prevent fading.

Don,

Congratulations!:big grin: :big grin:
It seems you have become another happy CTSC user; we must all be delusional.:wink:
Did you ever dream your original Post would come this far?:confused:
Welcome to the FI Brotherhood, just remember the motto: "more is never enough".:eek: :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Back