• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ohlins Shocks?? Need Info please

I sell motorcycle parts in the real world, I sell a fair amount of Ohlins products. I called Ohlins today to ask about an Ohlins shock for the NSX, at this point they have not made one. Ohlins is very interested in producing a shock for the NSX.
I told them I would do some of the leg work with your help.
First I need to know what the differences are in the shock for various years, will one shock work for all years or will the 2002-03 need a different shock?
Next, ride height what do you like what works??
Finally I will need a front and rear stock shock, If anyone has a set they would like to sell, please let me know.
The only Honda Car shock Ohlins currently makes is for the S2000, I believe one of the car Mags did a test this month of a Computech S2000 with Ohlins shocks.

Shocks

Would they make coilovers or just shocks. I'm not familar with Ohlins, are they for the track? AFAIK all year nsx have the same shocks.

Paul

I am sure they will build whatever is needed, as far as the coil over or not. These would be for Street cars. They are known for building the best.
Ohlins builds the finest street and race shocks in the motorcycle industry as well as Forks, both OEM, aftermarket, and race only.
They also build shocks for IRL, Cart, Nascar, as well as replacement shocks for sports cars.
Ohlins info 1
Ohlins info 2 Ohlins Info 3
Ohlins info 4 Ohlins info 5

And for more about Ohlins here is a link to there web site. Ohlins web site

Last edited:
I do not know what design these other shock are.

I would assume they are, just as the stock shocks are the same design.

And most tires are the same design as one another. Being the same basic design does not mean they work the same.

It is the details of the design that make one work better or worse than another.

I do not know what design these other shock are.

I would assume they are, just as the stock shocks are the same design.

And most tires are the same design as one another. Being the same basic design does not mean they work the same.

It is the details of the design that make one work better or worse than another.

There ARE differences in shock/strut designs. Twin-tube vs mono-tube, for example. Isn't there also an "inverted" strut design? These are design differences, not just details, though I agree that among each distinct design, the details make the difference.

J

I had Ohlins custom make a set of shocks and they are still on the car today.

Dan

Ohlins certainly has the technology and race history to produce a phenomenal damper. At the end of the day it's all a matter of cost/benefit right? Dan, i'd be curious to know what was the goal of your custom set (street, street/track, dedicated track, race competition?) and if they were to produce a limited run of these where do you suspect the price would fall into.

Typically MSRP...
$5k+, High end, lots of adjustability - Moton, JRZ RS PRO, (Comptech Pro?)
$3k - JRZ RS, DG-5, Aragosta
$2k - JIC, KW V3
$-2k - Tein, HKS, Buddy Club, K-sport, etc...

There ARE differences in shock/strut designs. Twin-tube vs mono-tube, for example. Isn't there also an "inverted" strut design? These are design differences, not just details, though I agree that among each distinct design, the details make the difference.

J

That is great to know all these different types of shocks are available for the NSX.

Who makes each of these for the NSX??

Any pictures or links??
Thanks.

Ohlins certainly has the technology and race history to produce a phenomenal damper. At the end of the day it's all a matter of cost/benefit right? Dan, i'd be curious to know what was the goal of your custom set (street, street/track, dedicated track, race competition?) and if they were to produce a limited run of these where do you suspect the price would fall into.

Typically MSRP...
$5k+, High end, lots of adjustability - Moton, JRZ RS PRO, (Comptech Pro?)
$3k - JRZ RS, DG-5, Aragosta
$2k - JIC, KW V3
$-2k - Tein, HKS, Buddy Club, K-sport, etc...

I was able to have the Japanese Ohlins Dist build these. They had done a number of these so they were familiar with what was needed.
Neither Ohlins USA or Ohlins Sweden had ever made any.

The cost was either $2500 or $3500 7 years ago, I do not recall.

I was able to choose between Std, Type S or Typr R springs, I cjhoose Type R which are about double the spring rate as the Standard springs.
At this point as I have better sports cars now, I plan to change them to a Type S spec.

The ride over small bumps is much better, other large bumps the same or a little worse.

All the roll. which was terrible with the stock shocks is gone.

These shocks are a common Ohlins mid priced design, High pressure Monotube, with internal reservoir in the main body.

Attachments

• DSCN1134.jpg
    DSCN1134.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 256
  • DSCN1135.jpg
    DSCN1135.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 246
  • DSCN1136.jpg
    DSCN1136.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN1137.jpg
    DSCN1137.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
That is great to know all these different types of shocks are available for the NSX.

Any pictures or links??
Thanks.
You can also start with the list I provided. All those companies provide NSX specific fitment but there are many more I did not include.
I was able to have the Japanese Ohlins Dist build these. They had done a number of these so they were familiar with what was needed.

I was able to choose between Std, Type S or Typr R springs, I cjhoose Type R which are about double the spring rate as the Standard springs.
At this point as I have better sports cars now, I plan to change them to a Type S spec.

The ride over small bumps is much better, other large bumps the same or a little worse.

These shocks are a common Ohlins mid priced design, High pressure Monotube, with internal reservoir in the main body.
Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if they were to do this now, if they would provide a fully threaded forged aluminum shock body with a bottom adjustable shock bracket... bummer to spend so much and not have that option.

Any pictures or links??
Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure on whose design is which type, but for example, I think...

KW V3 for the NSX is a twin tube design
TEIN Monoflex is a monotube design

I'm not sure who might make an inverted design for the NSX

J

You can also start with the list I provided. All those companies provide NSX specific fitment but there are many more I did not include.

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if they were to do this now, if they would provide a fully threaded forged aluminum shock body with a bottom adjustable shock bracket... bummer to spend so much and not have that option.

Really a steel body may be better.

The aluminum can change shape much easier due to heat and or pressure, than the steel body.

We are seeing this exact problem with the inner Aluminum sleeve on the TTX Twin Tube design Ohlins shocks.

I'm not 100% sure on whose design is which type, but for example, I think...

KW V3 for the NSX is a twin tube design
TEIN Monoflex is a monotube design

I'm not sure who might make an inverted design for the NSX

J

While the KW V3 is a "Twin Tube " shock it is a very inexpensive Emulsion type of shock absorber. Completley different than the Ohlins TTX Twin Tube shock.

Why do some KW V3’s have a “reservoir” and some do not?
The reason why some V3’s have the “reservoir” and some don’t is for a couple of reasons.

From The KW web site :

http://www.kw-suspension.com/us/kw_faqs.php

1. Twin tube shock absorbers require a certain amount of “airspace” inside to allow for oil displacement as the piston rod compresses. On applications where the shock is vertical, or almost vertical, the “airspace” is at the top of the shock, and will not come in contact with the piston. On applications where the shock is inclined, the “airspace” has the possibility of coming in contact with the piston, creating “foaming” of the oil inside the shock. This “foaming” will create inconsistent dampening and poor handling of the vehicle. In these circumstances, a “reservoir” can be used to relocate the “airspace” and allow for an inclined installation.

2. On some applications, the combination of certain valve components will create an undesirable harmonic which becomes very annoying during daily driving. With the use of a “reservoir”, the shock can be pressurized and the undesirable noise will be eliminated.

The “reservoir” on a V3 is not the same as a “reservoir” on one of KW’s 3-way race shocks. There is no adjustment, or performance advantage of the “reservoir” on a V3, whereas on the 3-way Race shock, there is both a performance advantage as well as shock adjustments located on the reservoir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While the KW V3 is a "Twin Tube " shock it is a very inexpensive Emulsion type of shock absorber. Completley different than the Ohlins TTX Twin Tube shock.

Why do some KW V3’s have a “reservoir” and some do not?
The reason why some V3’s have the “reservoir” and some don’t is for a couple of reasons.

From The KW web site :

http://www.kw-suspension.com/us/kw_faqs.php

1. Twin tube shock absorbers require a certain amount of “airspace” inside to allow for oil displacement as the piston rod compresses. On applications where the shock is vertical, or almost vertical, the “airspace” is at the top of the shock, and will not come in contact with the piston. On applications where the shock is inclined, the “airspace” has the possibility of coming in contact with the piston, creating “foaming” of the oil inside the shock. This “foaming” will create inconsistent dampening and poor handling of the vehicle. In these circumstances, a “reservoir” can be used to relocate the “airspace” and allow for an inclined installation.

2. On some applications, the combination of certain valve components will create an undesirable harmonic which becomes very annoying during daily driving. With the use of a “reservoir”, the shock can be pressurized and the undesirable noise will be eliminated.

The “reservoir” on a V3 is not the same as a “reservoir” on one of KW’s 3-way race shocks. There is no adjustment, or performance advantage of the “reservoir” on a V3, whereas on the 3-way Race shock, there is both a performance advantage as well as shock adjustments located on the reservoir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure why you posted KWs explanation for external reservoirs in response to my post... But anyway...

You stated that all shock designs are the same and that the difference is in the details

I replied that there ARE different designs and agreed that the differences among those designs was in the details

You asked ME what other designs there are and I gave a couple examples

Then you asked ME who makes some of those designs and I gave examples of sets I thought that fell into those categories of designs

Then you tell me that the twin tube Ohlins is very different from the twin tube KW

I thought I already stated that there are details among the designs that make a difference. I never meant to imply that KW is "the same" as Ohlins. Heck, i never even used their name until this post.

So I'm not sure what your point is anymore. And I don't care to know. Enjoy your shocks. I'm gonna go enjoy mine.

J

wow I didn't know you can get custom made with none race series shocks. I wonder if you can get the latest DFV shocks model made within reasonable price?:biggrin:

Last edited:
Back