• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil change opinion

Okay, after much research on Prime and S2Ki I've come to the following conclusions:

- The NSX is factory filled with a special break-in oil that cannot be purchased elsewhere
- It is recommended to leave the break-in oil in the car until your 1st oil change
- The 1st oil change can be 3,750/6months or 7,500/1 year depending on whether you are following the severe maintenance schedule or normal maintenance schedule.
- These maintenance intervals I quoted are for my 2005 NSX
- Break-in for the NSX is for 600 miles (as indicated on my owner's manual).

On the S2Ki forums, a member happened to be an oil engineer and told me how I can create an oil that is equivalent to the Honda Break-in oil by mixing certain oil additives.

My dilemma: My NSX is now at 670 miles, and it's time for my oil change based on the time interval. Should I change to synthetic, regular dino oil, or mixing my own batch of Honda Break-in oil.

Thanks!

I say you drive like mad this weekend at get to 3000 miles.
:biggrin:
But Dave's recomendation sounds like good advice.

RyRy210 said:
Okay, after much research on Prime and S2Ki I've come to the following conclusions:

- The NSX is factory filled with a special break-in oil that cannot be purchased elsewhere
- It is recommended to leave the break-in oil in the car until your 1st oil change
- The 1st oil change can be 3,750/6months or 7,500/1 year depending on whether you are following the severe maintenance schedule or normal maintenance schedule.
- These maintenance intervals I quoted are for my 2005 NSX
- Break-in for the NSX is for 600 miles (as indicated on my owner's manual).

On the S2Ki forums, a member happened to be an oil engineer and told me how I can create an oil that is equivalent to the Honda Break-in oil by mixing certain oil additives.

My dilemma: My NSX is now at 670 miles, and it's time for my oil change based on the time interval. Should I change to synthetic, regular dino oil, or mixing my own batch of Honda Break-in oil.

Thanks!

My experience with the S2000 motors (I owned two of these wonderful little buggers) jives with the concensus at S2Ki.com in that that motor isn't really broken in (rings seated) until 10K miles are on the odo. so most of us didn't switch over to synthetic until then.

If it were me, I'd get out there and put some easy miles on that car. Change the oil after you've put a couple hundred more on it and don't switch over to synthetic for a while.

But that's must my two cents.

Back