• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil Pressure Sending Unit not available

That is a good question. Rarely do the gauges themselves fail. It is usually the senders that fail. And the oil pressure sender is prone due to it being mounted on the block. Notice the SOS sender relocates to the firewall so much less vibration.

Ok, so everything you replaced was local to the sender?

I'm trying to determine why the Factory would recommend replacing the cluster gauge as well as the sender.

http://www.nsxprime.com/tsb-91-008/

Drew you beat me to the punch. Those 91's (887 to 3162) had faulty gauges in that they were not calibrated correctly. If your NSX falls outside that range, you're probably dealing with a sender problem. My 91 was in the range and had a nearly zero pressure dash reading at warm idle. I hooked up an oil pressure gauge at the cooler mount and measured it to confirm idle oil pressure was within spec (it was) and then just lived with the dash gauge reading low.

Good, you have a problem unit.

I cannot reproduce the issue and I'm not sure if I have an affected unit. Seems the NSX is the only Honda product has an oil pressure gauge too.

I have 5x clusters in my office, Heineken's calibrator, and I'm trying to figure out exactly what could be wrong with the low pressure reading units. Is it the resistor, stepper motor, or just the needle on the spindle set wrong.

If anybody knows of another car, prefer JP/EU because metric threads, that have a similar sender, please LMK so I can pick one up at the junkyard next time I am there.

FYI: Maybe look up Autometer they have a wide range of senders and adapters. I don't have the time for another project at this time...

I'm digging this up from the cobwebs of my NSX brain, but I think it was the internal resistor in the gauge unit itself was defective. This is why Honda said to replace the gauge completely. It would be an interesting project to measure the resistance in a "good" gauge and a bad one from that batch and compare them...

I noticed that the "repair" sender from Acura is -A02, indicating it is the 3rd iteration of the part. Honda only changes the part numbers if they change the part.

I'm digging this up from the cobwebs of my NSX brain, but I think it was the internal resistor in the gauge unit itself was defective. This is why Honda said to replace the gauge completely. It would be an interesting project to measure the resistance in a "good" gauge and a bad one from that batch and compare them...

I noticed that the "repair" sender from Acura is -A02, indicating it is the 3rd iteration of the part. Honda only changes the part numbers if they change the part.

Isn't there a legend that goes Honda had too many complaints from people about the gauge reading near zero at idle that they changed the gauge to just read higher?

Back