• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Okay, So I Was a Mistake to Sell...

Okay, So It Was a Mistake to Sell...

I have already whipped myself for the crime, but I was in "simplification" mode and started selling off "things" that I THOUGHT were cluttering my life. Our home of 16 years (we moved to a lake house we already had) plus a couple commercial buildings, then the Ford GT, BB512i, and lastly... the NSX. Wowzer.

Now with my 45 mile commute on a 2 lane road, me and the daily-driven Tundra (of 8 years and counting) are neither jiving during driving so I have GOT to get something modern and fun. I bought an '06 Cayman 'S' in a panic, which is a great car, but doesn't 'wow' me. So the answer?

Another NSX.

I had a 98 previously, loved it. Would go for another from 98 up, but my question (and my quest, as it were) is -

Are the 'exposed light' cars improved technically? (Mechanically, etc.) I originally didn't like the exposed lamps, but have grown indifferent to them.

So an answer to above PLUS a pm if you have or know of a relatively stock, 6 speed, <50k mile car would be fabulous. (Already posted in 'Wanted'). Thanks folks. Long live the NSX.

Last edited:
There's always sellers remorse.... What struck me is "jiving during driving"

Yes, there are minor technical improvements on the facelift cars, but nothing earth shattering over your early NA2. Aerodynamic efficiencies (especially with the lights on), rubber size & minor suspension improvements that you will hardly notice. This biggest single thing (driving) is the improved ABS system, and the interior leather (cosmetic).

This is my understanding too relating to the 2000. I had a 92 and really like hard lights so I picked up a 2000. The improved ABS, the 6spd, power steering at low speeds and the 3.2 are all in the 2000 and I am very fond of those upgrades (I loved the 92 as well biut the replacement Boxster s wasn't enough for me (although I wish I kept both in hindsight as I loved the Boxster too but the 'family of the NSX world is too good to ever leave again for me).

+1

2000+ is when essentially all the core changes occurred. Beyond that is cosmetics and "aerodynamics" that are likely to impact hardly any driving situation. Extensive detail here: http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year

I gotcha. Thank you very much for that. Good info.

This is my understanding too relating to the 2000. I had a 92 and really like hard lights so I picked up a 2000. The improved ABS, the 6spd, power steering at low speeds and the 3.2 are all in the 2000 and I am very fond of those upgrades (I loved the 92 as well biut the replacement Boxster s wasn't enough for me (although I wish I kept both in hindsight as I loved the Boxster too but the 'family of the NSX world is too good to ever leave again for me).

The Boxster/Cayman is really a good comparison with 6 cylinder power, mid engine, enough aluminum to keep 'em light, and excellent driving dynamics with decent luxury. My Cayman regularly surprises me with its torque, sound, AND decent utility (two trunks, what a concept!).

On the NSX, I too slightly prefer the hidden lights (plus I'm seriously old school).

Find yourself an 01 coupe and you'll be golden.

I think you're right! Pick of the litter if the lights are the deciding vote.

I'm keeping my NSX forever!!!

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO RUB THIS IN!?!? :) I don't blame you one bit.

Find yourself an 01 coupe and you'll be golden.
I am going to go against the grain here and say that an 01 coupe misses out on some of the real NSX magic. The ability to so effortlessly take the targa on/off in the NSX is something that really sets it apart from competing cars. Sure you *can* remove the top from a few other cars, but I have yet to see one that works as well as the NSX in its size category (excluding the smaller S2000 comparable cars like a merc SLK or BMW Z3). Otherwise you need to go with a dedicated rag top, and that isn't close to the same experience.

Sure, there is a stiffness issue - but that isn't MUCH of an issue. If you are a real track guy, buy an earlier model NSX - they are rawer and more track focused. Put in new headers or a super charger if you want the power. As production went forward, the NSX softened in my opinion, so only bother with a later model NSX if you want less of a track car and more of a super car that you can get in and drive around town.

For me, I wouldn't give up my targa top for a coupe. I would just buy a different car if I really wanted that hardtop + performance.

OKay....you owned pretty much 76% of my 'dream car list'. NSX, 512 Boxer, Ford GT, and (from your avatar) the 512TR. Please tell me you kept SOMETHING other than a Tundra!!

OKay....you owned pretty much 76% of my 'dream car list'. NSX, 512 Boxer, Ford GT, and (from your avatar) the 512TR. Please tell me you kept SOMETHING other than a Tundra!!

Ha! What GREAT taste you have! And thank you for your concern! I still have a 67 Jaguar E-type convertible, opalescent blue with navy leather, being restored now. Plus the 74 Pantera which is my sentimental favorite, not going anywhere. Plus an 'M491' optioned (factory turbo body) 3.2 Carrera coupe that I just had the engine dropped out yesterday and delivered to my shop for detailing before the REAL techs reseal and do some fun things. Plus an 06 S2000 and 06 Cayman 'S'.

I am looking for a carbed 512 Boxer right now since I don't have an exotic at the moment. I don't have room for everything I want, but I do have an understanding wife, which helps. The NSX would 'replace' the Cayman (no comparison being made, just meaning a 'car for car' replacement.)

Last edited:
Always wanted a Ford GT. I'm intrigued by your reminiscent of the nsx over the gt.

In a land of impossibly impractical cars, the Ford GT is a real contender.

Dumbest door design this side of a screen-doored submarine. Good luck re entering should you forget other humans may park within 4 feet.

I also drove mine, and since it has been known to rain in Alabama, opening said idiotic door means you get to see how fast you can exit, all the while avoiding decapitation.

This, coupled with a trunk that will fit one sock but not a pair greatly limits it's use as an actual car.

I did LOVE the looks, power and good ol' Americana, but in the end I decided I'd rather have more usable equipment.

Long live the NSX.

Last edited:
Oh man, an e-type as well? I recognize your user name from the boxer/TR side of fchat and knew you had a long list of cars on my wanted list, but with the e type, you have hit my wife's favorite car too! You have certainly lived a life worth living.

As you probably well know, finding a 98-01 NSX can be a long hunt as many of the well taken care of examples are being held on to by their owners. Sadly, I often see problematic examples that have been passed around dealerships with ever increasing prices like the 2001 that went through Barrett Jackson last week. You may want to consider putting up a post in the NSX wanted section and see if someone is looking for a no hassle sale that way. Given your past auto history, something tells me you are a car buyer who doesn't mess around and knows how to play the game.

Either way, good luck in your hunt

Greetings from the other side of the pond: here in the UK we had 28 Ford GTs come to us through official channels in 2005. I was one of the lucky guys, along with Jeremy Clarkson and a few other 'known' guys (I'm not known, jsut right place/right time). Driving a LHD car in a RHD market wasn't too much of a problem but like AHudson, I found the doors were a prize 1 PITA. And the trunk? My wife once asked me to pick up a bag of salad while I was out. I bought it from a supermarket, put it in the trunk and drove home. By the time I got there it was just slimy goo: the heat passing through the trunk was enough to cook a chicken, I swear.

I now own 2000MY IOP Targa NSX. For me, it's all the car I need and suits me in a way the GT never did. Especially now its equipped with a titanium exhaust, BBS RGR wheels, overhauled brakes, NSX-R suspension and next month, it goes off to our own Kaz for some engine love.

I now own 2000MY IOP Targa NSX. For me, it's all the car I need and suits me in a way the GT never did. Especially now its equipped with a titanium exhaust, BBS RGR wheels, overhauled brakes, NSX-R suspension and next month, it goes off to our own Kaz for some engine love.

I guess I should know this but what does 2000MY IOP refer to? I saw Ric referenced the "MY" above as well.

5-2011 LBBP w BBS RGRs 3.jpg

Thread highjack for BBS RGR wheels. :biggrin: And a little bit of IOP on the left there...

Good luck in your search AHudson.

Greetings from the other side of the pond: here in the UK we had 28 Ford GTs come to us through official channels in 2005. I was one of the lucky guys, along with Jeremy Clarkson and a few other 'known' guys (I'm not known, jsut right place/right time). Driving a LHD car in a RHD market wasn't too much of a problem but like AHudson, I found the doors were a prize 1 PITA. And the trunk? My wife once asked me to pick up a bag of salad while I was out. I bought it from a supermarket, put it in the trunk and drove home. By the time I got there it was just slimy goo: the heat passing through the trunk was enough to cook a chicken, I swear.

^^^ Looks good Alum04org but obviously not for sale.

Batmans - Of course there are many other NSXs that can be purchased but it is not easy finding that rare pearl in perfect condition - especially with the classic popup style in the later models.

AHudson - Here is a perfect example if you want to go with the classic look and in the much sought after 2000/01 years, assuming you are willing to spend some money: http://evantageone.com/nsx/

I have no connection to the seller but figure this would cure your "blues". Plus it would be interesting to see if the buyer would actually part with it for the $70K asking price. Some have suggested before that the seller (tabasco here on Prime) is really not ready to let her go - even for that price.

Last edited:
AHudson - Here is a perfect example if you are willing to spend some money for the classic look: http://evantageone.com/nsx/

Good luck, there have been several offers made on that particular car and I believe they have always been refused.

- - - Updated - - -

Why all the remorse for selling NSX threads when the remorse can be fixed here.
Even in that link, there are very few 1997-2001 NSXs for sale and even fewer that are 2000 & 2001. Just not a lot of them around at the moment. Perhaps the spring will bring a few more out for sale.

I'm glad your happy, Bat. You don't worry about all the advancements and tweaks that Honda made over the next six years (1995 - 2000) as they perfected their masterpiece. And I'm pretty sure they did make coupes after 1994.

Just my .02.

Back